Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2016, 00:52   #10816
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
The fog lamp assembly has two sections with two bulbs in them. One as DRL and one slightly more powerful or focused that serves as the fog lamp. If you ask me, I'd like to change all of the lamps with powerful LEDs.

On the same topic, I think Ecosport has good capabilities to be modified and accessorized. There should be a separate thread for it!
Then it's cool design, but Halogen for DRLs is too old fashioned, specially when trends have moved towards Laser or even Matrix fashion lamps.
You're thinking right i.e Retrofitting LED lamps can serve the purpose but single point LED, instead of bulb can be too bright & doesn't look much good either. Checkout the bulb slot, if it is low power then this multi-LED lamp can be used(as shown in pic below, Pic source:Amazon.in) but if the socket is Halogen tube-like(most probably) then you can have a look at range from good brands.
Please post the close up pic of the fog-lamp cum DRL of your car, I haven't seen the design in too much detail yet. Seems interesting.

Btw, I'm also switching over to LED lamps for my cars, wherever possible. Till to date, I have opted for LED Pilot lamps, LED in cabin lamp, LED metre console lamps for one of my car. I'm having LED 3-in-1 bulb for 21W reversing/indicator lamp in my stock to replace the reversing lamps, but yet to test ito feasibility for dark night visibility before their final installation. Way back I've tried LED setup for Rear registration plate illumination too, but looked dull at time so backed off but since LEDs are everywhere now, so such change will not be too much far now.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screenshot_20161025004111.jpg  

Old 25th October 2016, 03:52   #10817
BHPian

Quote:
I also believe this is only for the Titanium versions and will not happen on Titanium+. My dealer also said that these cars are made to order so the finish will be good on all the modifications and the cars will be delivered to them from factory as a fullly ready signature edition.
Not sure why Tit+ can't have the accessories which I've mentioned (except of seat covers). I think it can be done, since all the ones listed in signature edition (except for the black edition which comes factory fitted) can be taken up individually as well.

Made to order is correct, but its actually done at the dealership (black pack comes from factory). I think your dealer is Mody Ford Begumpet (same as mine) and I've seen them doing this work at their stock yard @ Kompally.

By the way, I'm just fed up with Mody Ford - I even spoke to their GM multiple times and visited the dealership as well, but of no use. I have about 40k worth of accessories installed (after getting a 15% discount on the original price of 47K or so - as quoted by dealer during delivery). But now they are refusing to give me a retail invoice for the installed accessories. Instead, SA is just creating word document and printing on Mody Ford letter head with their seal / signature and the prices.

Guess they are trying to cover up the inflated accessories price cost charged and don't want to provide a retail invoice, as it would disclose the actual prices that should have been charged

Last edited by Eyas337 : 25th October 2016 at 03:55.
Old 25th October 2016, 08:35   #10818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
I have about 40k worth of accessories installed (after getting a 15% discount on the original price of 47K or so - as quoted by dealer during delivery). But now they are refusing to give me a retail invoice for the installed accessories. Instead, SA is just creating word document and printing on Mody Ford letter head with their seal / signature and the prices.

Guess they are trying to cover up the inflated accessories price cost charged and don't want to provide a retail invoice, as it would disclose the actual prices that should have been charged
If you want to take a hard line, and if the invoice they provided you for the accessories doesn't have a TIN number, tell them you'll take it up with the Income Tax department. Apart from hiding the cost of accessories from you, this is a way of keeping such income off the books.
Old 25th October 2016, 23:28   #10819
vsh
BHPian

I am zeroing on Ecosports(diesel) after going through lot of reviews. Only thing concerning is the stiff/bouncy ride reported by many. How is the ride compared to elite i20(diesel) and Dzire? I am upgrading from dzire and elite i20 was my earlier choice.

Is it that big to be a deal breaker?
Old 26th October 2016, 00:06   #10820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
I am zeroing on Ecosports(diesel) after going through lot of reviews. Only thing concerning is the stiff/bouncy ride reported by many. How is the ride compared to elite i20(diesel) and Dzire? I am upgrading from dzire and elite i20 was my earlier choice.

Well after driving for 42k kms I would say Its a deal breaker if you have backseat passengers . Also can't compare the ride with cars , it's way too bouncy .
ranjithrnair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 02:41   #10821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
If you want to take a hard line, and if the invoice they provided you for the accessories doesn't have a TIN number, tell them you'll take it up with the Income Tax department. Apart from hiding the cost of accessories from you, this is a way of keeping such income off the books.
Even if they have a TIN written on the word document (which the SA drafts up in word and prints), I think its of no good. It would still be off the books and more importantly not disclose the actual prices for accessories.

However had a different experience in Service center - they have a retail invoice for each and everything - its printed like any other bill (including split up of tax, vat etc.,) and does look like an actual bill. Its only the Sales side where we have all these kind of things going.
Eyas337 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 12:17   #10822
BHPian

Quote:

I was on the same boat you are, rocking between options for 'tall seating good lumbar support mini SUVs' vs 'low slung comfortable seating sedans'. No one can really tell you the answer to that. Do multiple test drives, at different showrooms if necessary. Over wide variety of roads. At different speeds. Drive rougher than you normally would. I did all that and got myself an Ecosport even while suffering from on-and-off chronic back pain. Yes, on very bad roads, the car is very bouncy. The trick is to drive very slowly <15kmph or fast. The 20-30kmph speed on very bad roads is where it seems to bounce A LOT.

What I like is that places were the roads are broken but don't have anything bigger than 5-6 inch potholes or speedbreakers, the car as a whole absorbs all the bumps. So much so, that I have decided not to upgrade tyres to more comfortable ones for now. I also like how I can go over small rocks or drain covers sticking out or deep potholes without worrying about hitting the bottom but I can see other people slowing down in my rear view mirror

But still, the answer to your question will come to you when you yourself test drive the Ecosport again and again and again.
komalthecoolk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 14:23   #10823
vsh
BHPian

@ranjithrnair- thanks for the reply. I do have backseat passengers, majority of my ride would be long drives. It scares me.

@komalthecoolk- thanks for your inputs. It is very difficult to get opinion about back seat ride as all of us here are front seat drivers! Moreover we cant have enough test drives to take a call. I would be happy if it is better than dzire and a tad below i20
Old 26th October 2016, 17:03   #10824
BHPian

Quote:
@ranjithrnair- thanks for the reply. I do have backseat passengers, majority of my ride would be long drives. It scares me.
I would call it a deal breaker, Elite i20's suspension is way more comfort oriented in comparison to Ecosport. If you have back passenger, Ecosport might not be for you. Do a test drive on bad roads before buying.
Old 27th October 2016, 07:34   #10825
BHPian

Quote:

@komalthecoolk- thanks for your inputs. It is very difficult to get opinion about back seat ride as all of us here are front seat drivers! Moreover we cant have enough test drives to take a call. I would be happy if it is better than dzire and a tad below i20
Like you clearly mentioned, I have like most of us not sat at the back row as well. But , saying that , I found the seats to be having the best inclination angle and thigh support.
It sure is a little tight for 3 well built people and may be a little claustrophobic but my friends didn't complain of it who own a brezza.

Oh and btw, people, I'm glad to announce that we have decided on ecosport tdci titanium plus.

Will be getting it in January. Any idea when 2017 makes will be out? Showroom people said only by Feb end or march so I might be forced to go for 2016 makes and push for some discounts
(I actually don't mind as this is a long term proposition for me)

We liked the duster but only mid variants being affordable and dual airbags being available only on top end heavily influenced us to realise how good VFM ecosport is.
Also not to mention the parking ease with ecosport compared to duster/creta.
Hated brezza due to wagon r interiors.
Scross felt good but somehow I didn't want another maruti again. Way too many of maruti cars on road and I always had a thing for FORD.

Can someone be kind enough to please comment on long term reliability of the ecosport mechanicals ( tdci mill, clutch etc )

I keep hearing very good things about the new transparent ford maintenance plans but no one seems to be talking about the reliability of TDCi mills.

Like I said I'm looking at a vehicle which will be with me for atleast 10 years 😊

Oh and one last thing is it worth it to spend 40k more on titanium+ black edition?
In Vizag, OTR seems to be 11.9 for titanium + and 12.38 for titanium plus black edition( tax at source)

Last edited by vamsi2390 : 27th October 2016 at 07:40.
Old 27th October 2016, 12:35   #10826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
Had been to the dealership to get my 1st service done, while waiting checked few cars which were the latest signature edition.

The LED DRLs look very cheap (I think Ford got inspired by the I20 LED DRLs). Note that its a dealer fitted accessory (not from factory) and will be in addition to the DRL (regular one - within the Fog lamp kit on Tit+ versions).

They cut thru the bumper (using a blade) and then stick those into the holes with some wiring work done in the back end. They come in white color and will be needing body color painting (just like the rear spare wheel cover) and you need to pay extra for getting them body colored (+fitment charges). If body colored, then might look good but the paint quality (done at dealer) might not blend in with the cars paint (factory quality).

To get them installed and have them as body color, the technician mentioned to leave the car, for at least for 2 days.The individual price on this is still not known but the SA mentioned would be around Rs 15-16 k and YES, you can get them installed, if ready to pay this price (probably after few months, the price might come down).
Just saw the price in the Ford website. Attaching a screen grab of the same.

As expected, Rs 12k (excl. painting and fitting) for a set of DRLs is really exorbitant. Can get a full pair of headlights with projectors, DRLs and the bling for few thousands more.

Thanks for making me lose the interest in this now, Ford!!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-capture.jpg  

Old 27th October 2016, 13:46   #10827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Will be getting it in January. Any idea when 2017 makes will be out? Showroom people said only by Feb end or march so I might be forced to go for 2016 makes and push for some discounts
(I actually don't mind as this is a long term proposition for me)
I don't think there's any confirmed news on the facelift even internationally. So I don't think Feb 2017 is realistic. If that was true, I think you would start seeing some discounts for clearing existing stocks from now itself.

Quote:
Can someone be kind enough to please comment on long term reliability of the ecosport mechanicals ( tdci mill, clutch etc )

I keep hearing very good things about the new transparent ford maintenance plans but no one seems to be talking about the reliability of TDCi mills.
I think Ecosport has been in India for only the last 3 years. Having browsed through hundreds of pages of discussions on this forum and others about Ecosport as well as other cars, I feel Ecosport is quite reliable both in terms of engine life and other mechanics as well as build wise. Did not have that same trust about the auto transmission though. I am also hoping my TDCI will run for another 6 years at least.

Quote:
Oh and one last thing is it worth it to spend 40k more on titanium+ black edition?
In Vizag, OTR seems to be 11.9 for titanium + and 12.38 for titanium plus black edition( tax at source)
This is absolutely personal choice because the black pack is only cosmetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Just saw the price in the Ford website. Attaching a screen grab of the same.

As expected, Rs 12k (excl. painting and fitting) for a set of DRLs is really exorbitant. Can get a full pair of headlights with projectors, DRLs and the bling for few thousands more.

Thanks for making me lose the interest in this now, Ford!!
It's always a cheaper and better option to get it done with some local experts EXCEPT for the fact that the DRL wiring might be a little tricky to deal with without hampering the warranty. That' the advantage the Ford guys have.
Old 27th October 2016, 13:55   #10828
Distinguished - BHPian

I have had the Titanium TDCI optional for last 3+ years and it has been absolutely reliable, other than a few minor rattles which were fixed by Ford under warranty. The build quality is very heavy and rugged and the engine seems to run smoother as it ages. I have no reason to suspect the car would not be reliable enough to last 10 years or more.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 17:25   #10829
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think there's any confirmed news on the facelift even internationally. So I don't think Feb 2017 is realistic. If that was true, I think you would start seeing some discounts for clearing existing stocks from now itself.
What i actually meant was the same model but 2017 factory makes as per their VINs and not the 2016 factory makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I have had the Titanium TDCI optional for last 3+ years and it has been absolutely reliable, other than a few minor rattles which were fixed by Ford under warranty. The build quality is very heavy and rugged and the engine seems to run smoother as it ages. I have no reason to suspect the car would not be reliable enough to last 10 years or more.
Thanks. Really helps in justifying my decision
Also, now that you mentioned that you own a titanium+, could you let me know what are the accessories that i need to be still buying?
1. iv got no interest in scuff plates
2. cross bars on the new adventure edition look good and usable. probably could tie up something using bungee cords.
3. spare wheel cover is a must for me. I somehow do not like the naked tyre hanging out at the back.
4. are the regular stuff like mud flaps etc. part of titanium+ ?
Old 27th October 2016, 17:43   #10830
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
2. cross bars on the new adventure edition look good and usable. probably could tie up something using bungee cords.
The cross bars are purely aesthetic purposes; they are not designed to withstand weight.

If you want to use them to carry things; you'll need to fit a proper carrier.

Quote:
4. are the regular stuff like mud flaps etc. part of titanium+ ?
Mud flaps, floor mats are covered in the "Essential Pack" that the dealership includes in the calculation of the OTR cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks