Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2016, 10:19   #10861
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
My ecosport Diesel smokes at about 3000 RPM. Is it normal? It's somewhere between mild and excessive.
Definitely not normal. Check your air filter - it may be clogged and the engine is not getting enough air. In case that is clean, there may be a problem with the Turbo Charger as it may not be rotating at full speed and not generating enough boost.

The only normal condition in which a turbo diesel engine produces smoke is lower than 1200 rpm and if you floor the accelerator as the turbo is not spooled up and the amount of fuel injected becomes high - this leads to temporary black smoke till the engine reaches around 1600 rpm after which the Turbo has also spooled up. At high rpms, a Turbo diesel engine rarely produces black smoke unless there is a problem with the air filter or the Turbo.
Old 7th November 2016, 10:35   #10862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Definitely not normal.
Oops, I think I may have put it the wrong way, I meant it starts smoking at 3k ( pretty little smoke) and increases progressively till 3.5-4k, at these RPMS, I can see some very visible pollution in the rear view mirror, I wouldn't exactly say black but it's hard to be sure since it may have dispersed by the time it rises. What may be wrong?
Old 7th November 2016, 10:41   #10863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oops, I think I may have put it the wrong way, I meant it starts smoking at 3k ( pretty little smoke) and increases progressively till 3.5-4k, at these RPMS, I can see some very visible pollution in the rear view mirror, I wouldn't exactly say black but it's hard to be sure since it may have dispersed by the time it rises. What may be wrong?
Still seems to a lack of air issue due to either of the reasons highlighted earlier. If the smoke is momentary, then nothing to worry about as it is the period that the turbo is spooling up and the Air:Fuel ratio is low and incorrect. However once the turbo has spooled up, the air:fuel ratio should have corrected and there should not be any visible smoke.
It is also possible that you are flooring the A-pedal too much and putting in too much fuel. Give just enough A-Pedal input to stabilize the speed and it will run more efficiently and also spew less smoke.

Another rare condition when smoke can happen is if the vehicle is overloaded and the engine is under stress and unable to take the load, but you will never see this condition with cars and will notice it with overloaded trucks which belch smoke as they are designed for 16 Tonnes GVW and are loaded to 20+ tons GVW.

Last edited by Behemoth : 7th November 2016 at 10:43.
Old 7th November 2016, 13:44   #10864
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Still seems to a lack of air issue due to either of the reasons highlighted earlier. If the smoke is momentary, then nothing to worry about as it is the period that the turbo is spooling up and the Air:Fuel ratio is low and incorrect. However once the turbo has spooled up, the air:fuel ratio should have corrected and there should not be any visible smoke.

Another rare condition when smoke can happen is if the vehicle is overloaded and the engine is under stress and unable to take the load, but you will never see this condition with cars and will notice it with overloaded trucks which belch smoke as they are designed for 16 Tonnes GVW and are loaded to 20+ tons GVW.
On the contrary, my SA once told me that it would be a nice practice to just hit the throttle hard once in a while to clear the exhaust.

His rationale was that, the city driven cars may have lot of carbon/wastage accumulated in the exhaust and once in a while clearance would be good.

Not sure on the logic, but i too have felt the difference after doing this once in a month or some. And of course when I push the accelerator to the floor to pull the RPM up (on stand still only) I do see a huge chunk of black smoke from the exhaust, but just a burst nothing more. I can even see some drops of dark carbon on the floor too.
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 17:51   #10865

Quote:
Originally Posted by phynix123 View Post
Actually whatever the name of the app you're using to connect to your car. Or else check the SMS app. What are the apps that has got it's permission.
There is no app that is used to connect to the SYNC system. Its just a Bluetooth pairing between the phone and SYNC. The SMS app on my phone ~ "Messaging" is what its called on the phone does not have any setting that allows me to give permissions to any other app. I tried to look wherever i could and found nothing.
I am unable to figure out a way to get SYNC to read the notification stream from android since there is no SYNC app per se. I have searched everywhere on the phone from Settings to Security but nothing at all.
Old 7th November 2016, 19:55   #10866

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
Hi.
It is just few days since i got delivery of my trend+, diesel. The car looks big and that is the first difference compared to dzire....
I will update you once i have enough kms on odo!
Thanks for the reply Vsh and congratulations for the new car. I'll wait for your updates about the vehicle and specially in comparison to dzire.

Last edited by SVS1806 : 7th November 2016 at 20:08. Reason: Please quote only the relevant part of a post rather than the full post while answering someone.
Old 7th November 2016, 20:53   #10867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS1806 View Post
Thanks for the reply Vsh and congratulations for the new car. I'll wait for your updates about the vehicle and specially in comparison to dzire.
I own an ecosport diesel titanium plus, since December 2015, and it is the updated 100ps version. I previously owned a swift 2008-2012, Dzire (compact one)2012 to 2015, and I am satisfied with the ecosport, the suspension, nvh levels, drivability I find much better in ecosport than the dzire. Long journeys upto 500km are much less tiring than the dzire, may be due to better driving position, no one from my family has complained about the lack of comfort in the back seat.
gsratta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 07:08   #10868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
On the contrary, my SA once told me that it would be a nice practice to just hit the throttle hard once in a while to clear the exhaust.

His rationale was that, the city driven cars may have lot of carbon/wastage accumulated in the exhaust and once in a while clearance would be good.

Not sure on the logic, but i too have felt the difference after doing this once in a month or some. And of course when I push the accelerator to the floor to pull the RPM up (on stand still only) I do see a huge chunk of black smoke from the exhaust, but just a burst nothing more. I can even see some drops of dark carbon on the floor too.
This is actually mentioned in the leaflet that comes with the car (not the Owner's Manual). Once a week, you are supposed to start the engine, take it up to 3000 rpm, and hold it there for 30 seconds. This is to burn out the excess carbon that usually accumulates in the exhaust.

@createrkid: If this black smoke appears every time you accelerate, there might be an issue. If it hasn't recurred, I say don't worry about it, probably the excess carbon being ejected.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 11:42   #10869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
This is actually mentioned in the leaflet that comes with the car (not the Owner's Manual). Once a week, you are supposed to start the engine, take it up to 3000 rpm, and hold it there for 30 seconds. This is to burn out the excess carbon that usually accumulates in the exhaust.
This is news, now I know why I should go through the owners manual at least once.

Looking at the frequency, a week looks quite adequate in terms of the usage, and 30 seconds now sounds logical. As the thick black smoke bursts out on the first hit.
Old 8th November 2016, 19:33   #10870
Senior - BHPian

Two wonderful years and 21000+ kms of ownership down the line, the first signs of trouble maybe?
On the way back from office a sudden rhythmic thump thump started. I thought it could be a flat and got down to check. No flats. On the move again the sound kept up - keeping time with the increase or decrease in speed. Since it was too late to go to the service centre i got home and took a look below the car to see if a mudflap or something else was the cause. Still no answers. I could feel the thump thump vibrations from the floorboard when driving - and a slight rattle on and off.
The is no malfunction light on - my first fear was the transmission. Will take it to the workshop tomorrow to check out. Hoping it is something minor.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 19:37   #10871
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Two wonderful years and 21000+ kms of ownership down the line, the first signs of trouble maybe?
Check the engine guard. That might be loose and might be flapping around as speeds pick up. It's not very strong.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 19:38   #10872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Check the engine guard. That might be loose and might be flapping around as speeds pick up. It's not very strong.
Does the AT have an engine guard? I thought it didn't.
Old 8th November 2016, 19:41   #10873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Does the AT have an engine guard? I thought it didn't.
Sorry, I forgot it was the AT. I'm not sure if it does. I know the Ecoboost didn't.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 19:46   #10874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Sorry, I forgot it was the AT. I'm not sure if it does. I know the Ecoboost didn't.
No it does not according to Bhpian Murugan's thread. Thanks all the same.
Will update here once I get it sorted out.
Old 8th November 2016, 23:48   #10875
BHPian

hi guys - im considering a Ecosport purchase. Will the 2017 ecosport come without the external wheel. It seems that the newer ecosports in Europe come with a "mobility kit" to mount the wheel inside. You have pay extra for externally mounted wheel.

Any rumors ?

Most Viewed