Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2017, 16:36   #11461
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ford Ecosport Engine Seized- Always heed the Check Engine Light!

It could seize due to several reasons, some in your control, and some due to component failure.

a) Coolant leak from hoses, radiator, engine block
b) Thermostat failure causes overheating and if ignored on long drives it could possibly lead to engine seizure
b) Lube oil leak or insufficient quantity
c) Water pump failure
d) Oil pump failure (highly unlikely)
f) Clogged oil filter with a faulty bypass valve

I notice you haven't mentioned if the car was regularly maintained/serviced i.e. at least once a year or according to manufacturer guidelines. But in most cases involving oil and coolant you would have got warnings on your dashboard. Did you see any?

I only hope you can get the damage covered under extended warranty if applicable to your car.

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th September 2017 at 16:37.
Old 19th September 2017, 16:44   #11462
BHPian

Well, I did get it serviced every year, except this year when I got it serviced, I did not send it to a Ford Service Center. It was a regular oil change, filter cleaning service, which I got done from outside.

For regular routine services, I usually just send my car to a local guy I know very well for years. I have never had a problem with any of my other cars and this is the first time this kind of problem has happened.

After this service, I started getting a yellow warning light on the display. After 2 days of seeing this light, this issue took place (the car stalling etc.) And that is when I took my car to the Ford workshop.
Old 19th September 2017, 16:49   #11463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post
After this service, I started getting a yellow warning light on the display. After 2 days of seeing this light, this issue took place (the car stalling etc.) And that is when I took my car to the Ford workshop.
I assume the yellow warning light is the dreaded "check engine" light. Check engine itself means something bad has occurred and whether it is a minor issue or major can only be figured out after the engine error codes are understood. So, what did the error codes indicate - that may throw more light on how the engine stalled.
Old 19th September 2017, 16:52   #11464
Team-BHP Support

Sure he filled the right grade of engine oil, or filled engine oil at all? Was the coolant filled, or topped up? Warning lamp coming on just after service surely point sto some issue with the service.

Sorry to say this, but - you paid the price of having ignored a warning lamp for two days. And Ford can't be faulted if the service was carried out at an FNG.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th September 2017 at 16:56.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 16:53   #11465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I did get it serviced every year, except this year when I got it serviced, I did not send it to a Ford Service Center. It was a regular oil change, filter cleaning service, which I got done from outside.

For regular routine services, I usually just send my car to a local guy I know very well for years. I have never had a problem with any of my other cars and this is the first time this kind of problem has happened.

OK, since the car skipped a service this year, did you perform basic checks on the car yourself especially critical fluids like the lube oil, coolant and brake fluid?

Car stalling is the first sign of an engine overheating. It is normally accompanied by white smoke from the exhaust as the engine oil starts burning, which in turn consumes more oil leading to a further drop in oil level. Things go downhill very fast from there.

What was this yellow light? Was it the yellow 'Check Engine Light' (CEL) that looks like, well, an automobile engine?

Also, did you notice the red oil pressure warning light switching on possibly accompanied by a beeper to alert you to the drop in oil pressure? What about the coolant temperature gauge? Was the dealer able to give a reason for engine seizure? Since it was serviced by a 3rd party garage there's no point in trying to pin the blame on Ford.

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th September 2017 at 16:54.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 16:55   #11466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So you did not get it serviced by Ford and had check engine right after the service outside and yet you ignored it and kept driving. Sorry mate but all the signs were there and yet you chose to ignore.
Old 19th September 2017, 16:56   #11467
Senior - BHPian

The engine check light, along with the temperature gauge(light or analogue) are two of the most critical in-dash indicators.
honestly, the case may go against you for the below reasons:

1) The car was serviced by a non Authorised Ford Workshop.
2) The car was driven inspite of the the fact that the engine check light was on.
The above can be reason enough for Ford to absolve them of their liabilities.
My suggestion would be to take the Ford SA into confidence and push for a good will solution that is a win win for both of you.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 17:02   #11468
BHPian

Please share more details about your car like how many kilometers on the ODO meter, last service interval and details of the service, which warning light has shown up on the display panel etc.It all looks quite fuzzy to me.

Why would you take a three year old ECOSPORT (which I presume in warranty/extended warranty period) to a FNG? Ford service charges are quite reasonable and you won't save much by doing this. If you were living in some remote village where no Ford authorized service center is available, it is okay. But you live in Delhi and trust me if you are going to make any warranty claim Ford is going to reject it.

I suggest you to share more details here.
Old 19th September 2017, 17:05   #11469
BHPian

Despite having sent the car to a non-Ford workshop, for the routine checks I did have the essentials checked, like the oil, coolant, filters, etc. During this part, I also noticed that the guy who was servicing my car showed me that the filters were all choked and backed up. These are original Ford filters and apparently, have not being changed since the car was bought. I guess that its life maybe only 2-3 years.

So I spoke to the Service Advisor and the GM at the Ford Workshop and they told me that due to the lack of oil being pumped, and used some other jargon such as Tepid, Sump, etc.
Basically he said that the engine had seized due to lack of lubrication.

I am just trying to understand what all has happened, or can happen.

The car is not under warranty, that is for sure. They only gave 3 years warranty and it is now over that.

Anyways, to be clear they have given me an estimate of the costs involved. Just as an approx. figure, the Service Adviser has given me an estimated cost of around 1.45L.
From what he explained to me, this mainly includes the Engine Assembly and even the Injectors.

Last edited by Eddy : 19th September 2017 at 17:15.
Old 19th September 2017, 17:10   #11470
BHPian

Quote:

Yellow warning light is nothing but the Check engine light.
Is this yellow warning light was intermittent or it was On throughout 2 days?
With yellow warning light normally your engine will run only in limp mode (RPM limited to 2k if im right), haven't you noticed that?

Whenever there is a warning light its always better to check it asap.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 17:20   #11471
BHPian

Quote:
Long story short, after a lot of talk and personal meetings with the GM service and the Works Manager, they have come to the conclusion that the entire engine assembly needs to be replaced.
What was the diagnosis ? Did the Service Personnel explain about what went wrong with your car's engine and as you claim how it seized ? There can be only two causes as pointed out by R2D2

1) Failure of cooling system
2) Failure of lubricating system

Other reason could be mis-assembly , but in your case I assume it is not since you have not mentioned anything regarding opening of the head recently.

Get to the details and see what is the reason for failure. What specific components failed and why ?

Quote:
Sorry mate. You should not have just ignored a warning lamp and kept using the car for two days.

Your best bet would be to get it done under extended warranty in case you had subscribed for. Otherwise it is going to be a costly affair.

Quote:
Despite having sent the car to a non-Ford workshop, for the routine checks I did have the essentials checked, like the oil, coolant, filters, etc. During this part, I also noticed that the guy who was servicing my car showed me that the filters were all choked and backed up. These are original Ford filters and apparently, have not being changed
Spooky .Oil filter change is must during every oil change. I seriously don't know whom to doubt, Ford Service or your FNG.

Last edited by BLACKBLADE : 19th September 2017 at 17:38.
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 17:25   #11472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Despite having sent the car to a non-Ford workshop, for the routine checks I did have the essentials checked, like the oil, coolant, filters, etc. During this part, I also noticed that the guy who was servicing my car showed me that the filters were all choked and backed up. These are original Ford filters and apparently, have not being changed since the car was bought. I guess that its life maybe only 2-3 years.
An oil filter is required to be changed during every oil change. Without fail. The biggest drawback of sending your car to a neighborhood garage is they will never accept ownership of a shoddy job or wrong advice. You simply have no recourse.

From the looks of it, oil filter clogging (pt. f in my 1st reply) caused lack of lubrication and from there on to engine failure. However, in case of clogging the bypass valve should open to continue lubricating the engine albeit at less than optimal levels since the oil being pumped would be non-filtered which by itself is a big no-no for the engine. So, the oil filter's bypass valve had also failed. Which to me points to someone, either Ford or your 3rd party garage, not changing the filter for years.

Quote:
Basically he said that the engine had seized due to lack of lubrication.
That's not surprising.

Quote:
Anyways, to be clear they have given me an estimate of the costs involved. Just as an approx. figure, the Service Adviser has given me an estimated cost of around 1.45L. From what he explained to me, this mainly includes the Engine Assembly and even the Injectors.
I think you need to be a little more involved in maintaining your car unless you want unpleasant surprises and expenses such as this one. I know people who own Ford vehicles all I'd say is their service is very good and spare parts and labour charges are reasonable. So, you really should make an effort to use Ford's service centres.
Old 19th September 2017, 17:32   #11473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
An oil filter is required to be changed during every oil change. Without fail.
=========
I know people who own Ford vehicles all I'd say is their service is very good and spare parts and labour charges are reasonable. So, you really should make an effort to use Ford's service centres.
I agree with what everyone has to say here, and that due to just one servicing from an outside workshop this issue has become a big one. Yes, it is my fault, but I don't think that after only 2 days the engine could seize. Sure there could be issues cropping up, but seems like I have a lot to learn maintaining a car.

Some more information about the costing now.
After speaking to my Service Adviser at the Ford Workshop, he said that he has spoken to Ford India and will come back to me with a solution wherein he can help me save some costs (in the form of discounting I believe), as I had mentioned before, the total expense is coming to Rs. 1.45L.
Old 19th September 2017, 17:39   #11474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi fellow BHPians,

Getting straight to the point, I own a Ford Ecosport, 1.5L TDCi bought in the middle of 2014, so it's been a bit over 3 years.
Ask the Ford dealership to check for recalls. A BHPian got his out of warranty Ecosport engine replaced when it seized up in a similar manner as yours. Lack of lubrication to the engine was the culprit. His car was a 2013 make though (initial first or second batches). I have asked him to reply here.

Can you let us know the oil levels after the engine refused to start and the exact month and year of make?
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 17:49   #11475
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear this, but can you give us little more of history. How many kilometers the car has done, what was the service schedule followed and where the services were done etc? From the looks of it or atleast from the info you have shared, this seems to be related to not having oil and filters replaced on time, leading to seizure. Also do share pics of these parts if you get them from the workshop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks