Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2017, 00:50   #11536
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Interesting.

I've been considering a Sump Guard for a long time. Asked the SA during a visit to the dealer last week and he mentioned that Ford offers one only for the diesel variant. And that wouldn't fit the petrol car.

Any idea?
I have an engine guard installed in my Ecoboost. It was fitted by the dealer at the time of delivery itself. Cost around 8k
Old 11th November 2017, 07:53   #11537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Interesting.

I've been considering a Sump Guard for a long time. Asked the SA during a visit to the dealer last week and he mentioned that Ford offers one only for the diesel variant. And that wouldn't fit the petrol car.

Any idea?
This is not true, an engine guard was installed for the 1.5AT we took delivery 2 years back.
Old 11th November 2017, 09:39   #11538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
This is not true, an engine guard was installed for the 1.5AT we took delivery 2 years back.
Agree my 1.5AT also has the Guard installed since the time I purchased it.
Old 11th November 2017, 11:26   #11539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Thanks!

You can imagine how competent the SA at Ford's most consistent dealer in Pune is now!

I'll check with the manager. Given some of the roads I have to drive on, especially during monsoons, I'd like to have the sump guard.
Old 20th November 2017, 07:45   #11540
Team-BHP Support

If any of you find yourself in a situation where some fuse is blown, extra fuses are placed in a blue jacket inside the medical kit provided with the car.

Although the fuse box has some slots that are not in use, there aren't any fuses there, as some manufacturers place extra fuses.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 17:19   #11541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
I have a 2016 tdci titanium+ and use an android phone (Honor 5x). In my case, with sync on along with Bluetooth on -> I never hear the navigation prompts (from google maps). I only hear them when I receive a call and answer it. Both the phone call and navigation prompts are heard simultaneously.
Not sure why its this way though.
In order to hear navigation prompts just put Sync in BT Audio mode. if you dont want to hear songs getting played, pause them. The prompts will come just fine. In case you dont want to hear any prompts turn off the system. This is how its supposed to work as bluetooth audio connection is established only when you take a call or stream music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
Hi all, any idea where to source the under body engine guard for the EcoSport. The ABS plastic ones the dealer has costs a bomb ₹8500/-. Are there more affordable options in the market in Chennai?
Quote:
[u]
Check the ownership thread of ecosport rules bhpian, he had installed a customized option. Also recommend to check with all the dealers in your city regarding the pricing. Different dealers have varying prices for the accessories.
Quote:
I don't think the engine guard (ABS material) is engine / variant specific. It should fit all versions / variants. Check with the service center / stock yard contacts if you have, they have more knowledge on this as they do all these kind of accessory installations. The showroom SA wont have the necessary exposure / knowledge regarding accessories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
The first gen ecosport (no idea about the new facelift model) had a flexible black board like engine guard for all diesel variants. The main purpose of that was to dampen sound and protect engine bay from stone chips. It is attached to the chassis through a plastic bracket.

Apart from that Ford also had an official engine guard accessory made of ABS plastic which can also be used. Mostly petrol owners wanting some protection opted for it and is compatible with all variants of ecosport.

Diesel Variant Engine Guard
Its one of the parts which i had most issue with. It offers no real protection and droops down after few months. This problem becomes more if it comes with water (pressure washer, rains, flooded streets). Its very easy to spot a diesel ecosport from front. You will notice its drooping engine guard.

Its becomes the lowest contact point of the car. With this on, ground clearance gets reduced from 200mm to 135 ! Dont believe me ? Check out this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3892111

Recently in a team-bhp meet i did some spirited driving and suddenly i found a dragging noise. Apparently the two front mounting point of the guard had come off due to increased wind drag as it was drooping. I had to take the whole unit off including mount bracket. I found that the other Bhpian Uprasenjit who also owns this car lost his sump guard this way.

I drove without the guard for hundreds of km without any issue. But the noise seemed to be more post 2k rpm (may be placebo effect also)

Apparently a replacement for this guard costs a bomb, nearly 8k or so. Ford advertises low costs of spares like bumper with painting for 7.5k or so and this stupid piece of cardboard costs more than that

ABS Plastic Engine Guard
Bhpian Uprasenjit got this accessory for his diesel ecosport. Now the main reason someone will go for accessory like this is protection from tough terrains during travel. You dont even need a guard for everyday city driving. Apparently he lost the whole unit in some roadtrip and he is not even aware when it fell.

Maybe this guard will suit for city and smooth highway driving, but if you want to take tough terrains and mountain road there are better places to spend 10k rupees on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Sorry, but I find this hard to digest. What you are saying is a 100 kg odd engine will not drop because its stopped by a flimsy metal stone guard? Secondly no car will drop its engine on frontal impact, else the body will ride up on the engine and gearbox causing more injuries to occupants.
The engine and gearbox guard is designed to stop impact to critical bits from below. A plastic guard is useless. Only a metal guard can help if you off road
Well as silly as it may sound, this same thing was mentioned somewhere in owners manual or some other place (i dont remember now exactly)where it explicitly stated not to fix a solid engine guard. Even recently hyundai SA was telling why the FWD hatches are not coming with any engine guard and he said the same reason. I didnt research much on this but they all seem to go in this direction.

If anyone wants to make a aftermarket engine guard which will offer some real protection, look at this post by EcosportRules:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3198798

This is probably the best implementation i have come across so far. If anyone has got the new facelift ecosport, i will like to know if Ford have fixed this issue.
Old 20th November 2017, 17:43   #11542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Well as silly as it may sound, this same thing was mentioned somewhere in owners manual or some other place (I don't remember now exactly)where it explicitly stated not to fix a solid engine guard. Even recently Hyundai SA was telling why the FWD hatches are not coming with any engine guard and he said the same reason. I didn't research much on this but they all seem to go in this direction.
This is false - the main reason for the lack of a sump guard is cost-cutting. It's a calculated gamble by manufacturers. Like you said, requirement of a guard is not that important in an urban environment, but a stray stone could hit from below and cause some damage out on the unknown roads. Punto is FWD and gets a solid sump guard.

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3198798

This is probably the best implementation i have come across so far. If anyone has got the new facelift ecosport, i will like to know if Ford have fixed this issue.
Yes, this is the best one can do. A lot of effort has been put in including making proper drain channels.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 23:44   #11543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
This is false - the main reason for the lack of a sump guard is cost-cutting. It's a calculated gamble by manufacturers. Like you said, requirement of a guard is not that important in an urban environment, but a stray stone could hit from below and cause some damage out on the unknown roads. Punto is FWD and gets a solid sump guard.
Yes Punto is perhaps the only hatchback which is having a proper sump guard. But wonder how much cost cutting are they achieving by doing this. They can even offer a proper engine guard as accessory for a price but no one is doing that. Instead charging 8k for some ABS plastic one which falls off

Anyways a lot of discussion was going on if we can retrofit the updated head unit in previos gen ecosport. I wonder if some of the facelifted model accessories will fit in previous gen models. Here are the complete list of genuine accessories:

https://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ecosport/accessories/

Whats New ?
  • Premium car cover option apart from the basic polyester one.
  • Sun Blinds
  • Auto Head Lamps

Whats Changed ?
  • Spare wheel cover gets a new design.
  • Illuminated Scuff plates have new design and comes in a set of 4 instead of 2, with almost same price.
  • Smart ambient light. Comes for both front and rear instead of front only. User can select between 5 colors using an app. The price is not much higher than the older gen one which didnt have these features and came with a set of two for front seats only
  • Sport Pedal Cover (Older model also had this option initially with a different design,but got scrapped a year later due to fitting issues)

Whats Gone ?
  • Roof rack tray
  • Front & Rear bumper appliques
  • 15inch alloy wheel kit
  • Headlamp guard
  • Bug deflector
  • Front chrome finisher
  • Side running board
  • Reverse parking sensors
  • Chrome kit
  • Signature headlamps
  • Mapmyindia infotainment system
  • In car refregator
  • Child seat
  • Reverse parking camera with IRVM display
  • Nightstop emergency lamp
  • Anti theft alloy nuts
  • Seat belt pad
  • White streak bulbs
  • Rear arm rest with cupholders

While this list of accessories may still be available for older gen ecosport, its not present in the official page of Ford india as of now.
Old 21st November 2017, 00:14   #11544
BANNED

Quote:
I wonder if some of the facelifted model accessories will fit in previous gen models. Here are the complete list of genuine accessories:

https://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ecosport/accessories/

Whats New ?
  • Premium car cover option apart from the basic polyester one.
  • Sun Blinds
  • Auto Head Lamps

While this list of accessories may still be available for older gen ecosport, its not present in the official page of Ford india as of now.
Nice additions, but the range is too small. I think dealers would have a larger list even without the stupid additons from their end. And its a fantastic move by Ford to show the prices for accessories as well online, thereby maintaining the transparency in the process. Although ford dealers are mostly reasonable, you never know when somebody fleeces you.

Another thing, the spare wheel cover costs 12,500 actually, the quoted 8500 price is for unpainted, as it comes from the factory.
Old 21st November 2017, 01:46   #11545
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A lot of what is gone was not worth having.

Quote:

Whats Changed ?
  • Spare wheel cover gets a new design. Good Logical
  • Illuminated Scuff plates have new design and comes in a set of 4 instead of 2, with almost same price. Very Good
  • Smart ambient light. Comes for both front and rear instead of front only. User can select between 5 colors using an app. The price is not much higher than the older gen one which didnt have these features and came with a set of two for front seats only Very Good
  • Sport Pedal Cover (Older model also had this option initially with a different design, but got scrapped a year later due to fitting issues)Earlier design was fine and fitted well enough. Still have mine after 4 years.

Whats Gone ?
  • Roof rack tray So what's the alternative?
  • Front & Rear bumper appliques Not required in new Design - built in
  • 15inch alloy wheel kit Who wants this?
  • Headlamp guard Silly part
  • Bug deflector No use
  • Front chrome finisher Already has enough chrome and this was required for earlier lower models upgrade to Titanium
  • Side running board not required
  • Reverse parking sensors
  • Chrome kit Aftermarket is cheaper and better
  • Signature headlamps newer design HL now with builtin DLRs
  • Mapmyindia infotainment system Bought it - was a waste of money
  • In car refrigerator Buy from accessories shop if required for less price or better quality.
  • Child seat - Hmmm New one has ISOFIX mounts
  • Reverse parking camera with IRVM display Shifted to screen?
  • Nightstop emergency lamp
  • Anti theft alloy nuts Maybe had few buyers.
  • Seat belt pad Could have been retained maybe no one bought this?
  • White streak bulbs Ohh Why?
  • Rear arm rest with cupholders Builtin armrest so this is no longer required

Last edited by ACM : 21st November 2017 at 01:48.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 16:20   #11546
BHPian

Quote:
In order to hear navigation prompts just put Sync in BT Audio mode. if you dont want to hear songs getting played, pause them. The prompts will come just fine. In case you dont want to hear any prompts turn off the system. This is how its supposed to work as bluetooth audio connection is established only when you take a call or stream music.
This was not how it worked when I was using my Microsoft Lumia phone. I used Microsoft's Map navigation on my phone. I could keep Sync on any mode Radio, USB, CD or BT Audio. Whenever there was a navigation prompt from my phone, it came from my car's speaker system. There was no restriction of having Sync in BT Audio mode. Gave me the flexibility of playing music from my USB while at the same time hearing my phone's navigational prompts. But with my Android phone, I am forced to stream music from my phone if I want to use Google maps.
amit.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 16:40   #11547
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.s View Post
This was not how it worked when I was using my Microsoft Lumia phone. I used Microsoft's Map navigation on my phone. I could keep Sync on any mode Radio, USB, CD or BT Audio. Whenever there was a navigation prompt from my phone, it came from my car's speaker system. There was no restriction of having Sync in BT Audio mode. Gave me the flexibility of playing music from my USB while at the same time hearing my phone's navigational prompts. But with my Android phone, I am forced to stream music from my phone if I want to use Google maps.
Yep this is how it is with Android at least in Sync 1&2
Old 21st November 2017, 18:08   #11548
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.s View Post
Actually thats just an android limitation.
In iOS Connect your phone to the Sync system via bluetooth and keep it in whatever mode you want(FM/AM/USB etc)
and open your google maps setting in the phone and under sounds select hear direction as voice call, then it interrupts the music and plays it as a phone call.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:39   #11549
BANNED

@Ashu03 please visit Motor Concept in Kirti Nagar the best place for audio needs they do all the installation without voiding the warranty.
Old 24th November 2017, 22:27   #11550
BHPian

Today i went to Ganges Ford Showroom in our city to inquire on the updated accessories of Ecosport. They told that the latest additions are expected come on 15th December. Also the old accessories will continue to be sold according to them.

Most Viewed