Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2018, 14:51   #11641
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Owners of EcoBoost, there is a new PCM update available and I would highly recommend getting it flashed since I did notice some positive changes after it. The terrible lag in the second gear seems to have improved a little and I no longer have to shift to first gear after crossing a speed breaker. Any inputs from someone who has flashed the update may share his views since mine could be a placebo effect.
k.sumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 14:57   #11642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
Owners of EcoBoost, there is a new PCM update available and I would highly recommend getting it flashed since I did notice some positive changes after it. The terrible lag in the second gear seems to have improved a little and I no longer have to shift to first gear after crossing a speed breaker. Any inputs from someone who has flashed the update may share his views since mine could be a placebo effect.
There's one for the 1.5 petrol AT as well; posted about it a while back when my car went in for service. My SA said it was for the AT. But I haven't noticed any improvement over the month or so post update.

Crossing a speedbreaker on an upward incline is where the shudder is awfully prominent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'm at A.S.S. for my AT's 20k service. I mentioned the clutch shudder problem on lower gears (predominantly 2nd); when the SA opened a job card, he said there's a FSA that Ford has initiated for the AT.

AT owners might want to call A.S.S. and check.
Old 25th April 2018, 21:40   #11643
BHPian

My second service would be due in a couple of months and I am thinking of moving to fully synthetic oil. Ford doesn't stock up fully synth oil and I will have to get it from outside which will void the warranty. The manual suggests 4.1 liter of engine oil for the EcoBoost engine and I am thinking of pouring in 4 liters since I am unable to find 4.5 liters pack. Would 100 ml less engine oil create some problem?
Old 25th April 2018, 23:36   #11644
BHPian

Quote:
My second service would be due in a couple of months and I am thinking of moving to fully synthetic oil. Ford doesn't stock up fully synth oil and I will have to get it from outside which will void the warranty.
I believe you are willing to loose your warranty after using synthetic oil from outside. Did I get you correctly? If yes, may I suggest waiting for the warranty period to get over before switching over to synthetic oil. Though fairly reliable, these cars are very sophisticated things with lots of electrical.
Quote:
The manual suggests 4.1 liter of engine oil for the EcoBoost engine and I am thinking of pouring in 4 liters since I am unable to find 4.5 liters pack. Would 100 ml less engine oil create some problem?
AFAIK over-filling is bad (seals might go bust) while under-filling slightly has no negative effects. So, you would be fine with pouring 4 liters of engine oil.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 01:23   #11645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
I believe you are willing to loose your warranty after using synthetic oil from outside. Did I get you correctly? If yes, may I suggest waiting for the warranty period to get over before switching over to synthetic oil. Though fairly reliable, these cars are very sophisticated things with lots of electrical.
AFAIK over-filling is bad (seals might go bust) while under-filling slightly has no negative effects. So, you would be fine with pouring 4 liters of engine oil.
Yes, I am considering to trade off the extended warranty which is valid for 1 more year. I find it weird that Ford doesn't stock up fully synth oil at any of their dealership I've been at. The EcoBoost engines come with Castrol Fully Synth oil specially developed for EcoBoost and this oil is no where to be found at Ford's authorized centers. They use the same 5W-30 mineral oil for both the petrol engines. I've been to Ford's service centers in Delhi, Indore (MP) and Jaipur (RJ) and they mostly use mineral oil from Mobil. With a turbo petrol under the hood that gets hotter than its diesel sibling, I'd highly prefer a fully synth oil.
k.sumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 08:17   #11646
BHPian

Does anyone have idea about availability of automatic AT in Delhi and Ncr. I was speaking to a few dealers who comfortably said three months.
Old 28th April 2018, 01:44   #11647
BHPian

A buzzing kind of sound is coming from the dashboard of our Ecosport TDCi, this sound first surfaced around a month ago. I had dismissed it as some rattling sound from the dashboard until last week, when I noticed the sound even in the accessory mode (i.e. Without starting the engine). I immediately called my SA & described him the problem, he quickly replied that some sensor for ACC is most likely malfunctioning & they would replace the part under warranty. I will make a visit soon to the FASS to get this problem rectified.

Did any of you guys go through a similar problem? Our car is a Titanium + variant & has done around 33k km on the odometer. Strangely a good friend of mine called me two days back & told me that the AC unit in his car was making a strange noise. I then asked him to make a video of the sound, sure enough the sound was exactly same as that of my car. Since his car is an Aspire Titanium 1.2, I am cross posting about that in the Aspire thread. Here is the link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4392646

Here are two videos of the buzzing sound:

Last edited by chiranjitp : 28th April 2018 at 01:53.
chiranjitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 03:35   #11648
BHPian

Quote:
A buzzing kind of sound is coming from the dashboard of our Ecosport TDCi, this sound first surfaced around a month ago. I had dismissed it as some rattling sound from the dashboard until last week, when I noticed the sound even in the accessory mode (i.e. Without starting the engine).
My vehicle produces the same sound and it has been over an year since I first noticed it. Everything works just fine and I don't even pay attention to it these days. Let me know what your SA does to rectify this.
k.sumit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 09:56   #11649
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A buzzing kind of sound is coming from the dashboard of our Ecosport
I get this too, the moment I turn on Ignition. The mechanic at A.S.S. said it is related to the ambient temp. sensor since the car has ACC.

But I remember this sound wasn't always there (since delivery).
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 14:42   #11650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
I have driven upto Coonoor and back to Chennai this week in Ecosport AT(old model).

Total KM. 1110
FE: 15.5 as per MID. ( hope this is correct)
That sounds about right, i have the same model and drove from Chennai to Bodimettu (20kms before Munnar).As you mentioned it was effortless and she handled the Ghats very well. My mileage was also around 16kms mark.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 22:32   #11651
BHPian

Quote:
My vehicle produces the same sound and it has been over an year since I first noticed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I get this too, the moment I turn on Ignition. The mechanic at A.S.S. said it is related to the ambient temp. sensor since the car has ACC.
Thank you guys for the prompt reply. It does seem like that this is a common problem with the ACC equipped Ecosport variants. I visited my FASS today, the SA was quick to diagnose the problem. According to him the sound is due to a faulty ambient temperature sensor, which would be replaced under warranty. Unluckily for me, the part wasn't in stock & an order had to be placed for the sensor. The sensor is expected to arrive at the FASS within 2-3 weeks & the cost of the sensor is Rs. 47xx.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 28th April 2018 at 22:33.
chiranjitp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 00:22   #11652
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, I am considering to trade off the extended warranty which is valid for 1 more year. I find it weird that Ford doesn't stock up fully synth oil at any of their dealership I've been at. The EcoBoost engines come with Castrol Fully Synth oil specially developed for EcoBoost and this oil is no where to be found at Ford's authorized centers. They use the same 5W-30 mineral oil for both the petrol engines. I've been to Ford's service centers in Delhi, Indore (MP) and Jaipur (RJ) and they mostly use mineral oil from Mobil. With a turbo petrol under the hood that gets hotter than its diesel sibling, I'd highly prefer a fully synth oil.
While you are correct that EcoBoost gets a special Castrol oil (made specifically for the 1.0 ecoboost only, not even the other ecoboost), it is not a fully synthetic oil. The spec mentioned in the manual of the car (ending with 948B) is matched by a Castrol oil that is filled by the Ford service centre and it is a mineral oil. I Have gotten my ecoboost serviced 3 times and they always put in the 4.1 L from a fresh sealed can in front of me and yes that is the Castrol that is made for the 1.0 ecoboost.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 03:52   #11653
BHPian

Quote:
A buzzing kind of sound is coming from the dashboard of our Ecosport TDCi, this sound first surfaced around a month ago.
Oh man ! I noticed this sound 1.5 years back since my car got repaired for a front end damage. Whenever i wanted to bring this issue to SA's notice he will dismiss it saying he is not able to hear any sound or this sound is common. One needs a silent location to identify this sound properly in the first place, and a car workshop is far from being one. Good to see you have already identified the source of this issue and got the part replaced under warranty. I need to go to the workshop asap and fix this before by warranty runs out after a couple of months. The big task now is to explain and convince the SA about this "problem" !
Old 30th April 2018, 11:30   #11654
BHPian

Quote:
A buzzing kind of sound is coming from the dashboard of our Ecosport TDCi, this sound first surfaced around a month ago. I had dismissed it as some rattling sound from the dashboard until last week, when I noticed the sound even in the accessory mode (i.e. Without starting the engine). I immediately called my SA & described him the problem, he quickly replied that some sensor for ACC is most likely malfunctioning & they would replace the part under warranty. I will make a visit soon to the FASS to get this problem rectified.
I too have this sound, although not this much. The SA said its the sound of the ACC ambient temperature sensor and is normal. I would be interested to find out if you get the unit replaced under warranty and it resolves the problem. I still have a year of extended warranty remaining.
Old 30th April 2018, 19:52   #11655
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys for the prompt reply. It does seem like that this is a common problem with the ACC equipped Ecosport variants.
I called an SA today at KS Ford Jaipur and he mentioned that there is nothing wrong and they hear this sound almost on every Ecosport. After I insisted, he assured me of getting it checked from a technician but asked me to book an appointment before I come over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
While you are correct that EcoBoost gets a special Castrol oil (made specifically for the 1.0 ecoboost only, not even the other ecoboost), it is not a fully synthetic oil.
Thanks brother! I've mostly seen FASS using Mobil 5W30 and that is exactly the oil they used during the first service while I was at Delhi. I asked them for Castrol but it wasn't available. My only gripe is that the smoothness I felt with the stock Castrol oil even after 10k kms is non existent this time around and that too just after 6k kms.

Last edited by k.sumit : 30th April 2018 at 19:53.

Most Viewed