Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2018, 18:07   #11671
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
Does it makes sense to go for extended warranty. Need your expert guidance on the same
Honestly, I like to be covered as long and as much as possible. My AT has 2+2 Warranty; in fact, even for our Honda City, we took the 7th year warranty.

More so, the DCT hasn't been without a blot. There are a few cases documented here and there's also the news from Aus.

I'd take warranty even for the 5th year if they offered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
Friends

Pl suggest me a reverse camera preferably in the rear view mirror for my 2016 December ford Ecosport petrol automatic model.

Thanks
Check with FASS. I got mine fitted at the time of delivery. However, it broke last year so I got it changed at a local accessories shop. The guy was able to replace just the camera and retain the original wiring (plug and play)
Old 17th May 2018, 21:14   #11672
BHPian

Hi guys

I have a Ford ecosport tdci. I have clocked 65000 km in the last 5 years. My Ac from last week started working intermittently. When I switch on the Car Ac works for 30 minutes. Then Ac stops cooling. Took it to service center they tell me Ac compressor is to be replaced. They also told me ac life is only 40000 km. I was surprised to hear that. I have a 10 year old swift. I haven’t had a problem in that. Please advice.
switz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 00:47   #11673
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Hi guys

I have a Ford ecosport tdci. I have clocked 65000 km in the last 5 years. My Ac from last week started working intermittently. When I switch on the Car Ac works for 30 minutes. Then Ac stops cooling. Took it to service center they tell me Ac compressor is to be replaced. They also told me ac life is only 40000 km. I was surprised to hear that. I have a 10 year old swift. I haven’t had a problem in that. Please advice.
Take your car to an outside third party garage specializing in AC.

In theory in certain circumstances AC can have the kind of life you have experienced. But an outside garage may repair the Compressor or replace with a refurbished or new one as per your budget and costs would be lower.

Mine touch wood is fine at 75000kms but have experienced 2 failures in 70000kms in Laura and it varies from car to car and depends on usage and how soon a fault is detected.

It may also be just say the rectifier or AC Clutch which an outside garage will repair separately rather than replacing the full compressor.

Last edited by ACM : 18th May 2018 at 00:51.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 17:40   #11674
BHPian

please share the battery specifications for 1.5 tdci titanium model
Old 19th May 2018, 23:55   #11675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
After replacement of the sensor the sound is finally gone, hence the sensor was the culprit for the sound. It seems that many members here are facing this problem & in most cases FASS have washed their hand off by saying this is normal.
Last week on my 60K service at Talera Ford, Wagholi (Pune) both SA and technician dismissed this issue saying sir nothing will happen. If its major issue we will surely do it I have no idea how to convince them for the same !
Old 21st May 2018, 20:47   #11676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Last week on my 60K service at Talera Ford, Wagholi (Pune) both SA and technician dismissed this issue saying sir nothing will happen. If its major issue we will surely do it I have no idea how to convince them for the same !
Even my friend who owns an Aspire got the ambient temperature sensor replaced under warranty, that too from a different service center (he had bought his Aspire from a different dealer). So, it is not that I was the only one who got the sensor replaced under warranty, few others have also got the sensor replaced under warranty.

Maybe you could register a complaint with Ford India, if the company intervenes, then the dealer will be forced to replace the part under warranty. On the other hand, my SA told me that Ford India normally rejects the warranty claims, it is only the dealers who normally get the part replaced under goodwill warranty.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 21st May 2018 at 20:58.
chiranjitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 17:01   #11677
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford's service seems to be taking a dive for the worse, at least in Chennai. I have been trying to get the annual service done on my Ecosport. The regular service center I go to claimed they do not have stock on hand of consumables required to do the service and did not provide a clear date of when they can do it. I then called a newer service center in town. They sounded very eager, gave an appointment within a couple of days, and took the car in yesterday. Although they indicated they will have the car ready the next day, but I just heard from them that the car will only be ready the next day ("probably", that too). The service advisor said his shop was chock-full with cars and has no control on the actual finish time!

I hope Ford is listening to this kind of feedback. Although they have made it less expensive to service their cars, if the service experience is not good, this is not going to help with the overall perception change.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 00:29   #11678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Had the exact same issue and when I gave it in for service they replaced the fan resistance switch and it's working fine after that.

I believe the part is wrongly located and gets rusted easily causing the switch to fail.

It's also a bit expensive at 1,800 bucks. I thought mine was a rare case but looks like this is a known issue.
This issue generally appears during summer time only when AC is running at its peak. Had the same issue and took the car twice to FASS. They just sprayed water into radiator grill and cleaned up the dust and stated that issue will be resolved. I did notice the issue couple of times again but after few days, didn't hear the sound.

Need to watch out for this now and see as the temperatures at Hyderabad are now soaring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Any of your vehicles suffer from a rattle on the tailgate? Mine rattles when I go through rough roads; it is most likely the rubber bush assembly (towards the bottom) that has a play. I've complained SO many times, they just make some adjustments and send me on my way. I need a more permanent solution; it is embarrassing when people asking me why the tailgate makes so much noise, or if it is not closed properly.
Tell me about it, its very embarrassing.

I had the same issue and was sent back thrice by FASS after just lubricating the tailgate latch. Spoke to the GM during my 3rd service, finally they adjusted the door latch and the clamp holding it and lubricated the area again

This time, it did really solve my problem although I never really got a thorough answer other than above from the SA.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th May 2018 at 00:46. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Eyas337 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 10:11   #11679
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
Tell me about it, its very embarrassing.

I had the same issue and was sent back thrice by FASS after just lubricating the tailgate latch. Spoke to the GM during my 3rd service, finally they adjusted the door latch and the clamp holding it and lubricated the area again

This time, it did really solve my problem although I never really got a thorough answer other than above from the SA.
Surprisingly, the same happened with me. I was at FASS for not one, but three recurrent issues and made my displeasure very evident. Also reminded them that they should have the courtesy to fix the problems before the expect us to rate them 10.

Something stirred and they got someone from the bodyshop to take a look at it. He said he'll fix it in 10min and he did. During the TD, I asked what do we do when it starts rattling again. He looked at me with rare confidence and said, it won't. True to his word, it hasn't as yet. But monsoons are around the corner and we'll soon be transported to the moon. Let's see then.

Also, there is a distinct rattle from above the left rear quarter panel. I'd noticed this around 15 months back and it was fixed then. That rattle is back. The same bodyshop guy said he needs two days to fix it. When the manager asked what the problem was, he said its the same as the two cars he'd just fixed.

Clearly, an assembly line issue. Apparently, there is some friction between two parts in that area. Another battle coming up.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 13:10   #11680
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

My Ecosport TDCi has completed 4 years . I have always serviced her at the dealer service every year. I have this doubt about whether servicing her every one year is adequate or should I consider an intermediate service every six months ? If so, what should the servicing include ?
Old 31st May 2018, 13:41   #11681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian1502 View Post
Hello BHPians,

My Ecosport TDCi has completed 4 years . I have always serviced her at the dealer service every year. I have this doubt about whether servicing her every one year is adequate or should I consider an intermediate service every six months ? If so, what should the servicing include ?
1 year or 10000 KM(whichever earlier) is what Ford suggests. Current crop of Ford cars are fairly reliable and parts are not exorbitantly priced. Keeping these factors in mind, you should stick to Ford's guidelines.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 19:45   #11682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
Hello Folks,

One of my relatives has decided to book the Ecosport. However, after reading a few posts on the forum, we're confused between the Petrol and the Diesel motors. I had a few questions about both the motors:

1) Is the TDCI a better motor than the Dragon? If yes, any particular reason?

2) Which motor suits an enthusiast? - the Dragon or the TDCI? Is the Dragon to an enthusiast’s taste (free revving, good top end)?

3) Is it worth spending a premium of 70K for the diesel because it gets an extra cylinder + a turbocharger. Doesn’t it lose out on power though?

4) The car would be used 80% in the city and the rest 20% on Highways and Ghats. On ghat roads and highways, does the Diesel outperform the petrol?

5) The 1.5 TDCI is fast in the lighter Figo twins. How does it feel in the heavier Ecosport? Not that we will be scorching the highways, but for that occasional high speed run, will the Diesel Ecosport be fast, better than the Petrol?

6) How is the Dragon on open roads - is it a good performer or does it leave a lot to be satisfied?

Thanks in advance
Prathik
Of these two, the TDCi is the better engine for the enthusiast, as there is the potential to remap the engine or add a tuning box later for improved performance. There's also the fact that the fun lasts longer, with better FE and resale value. The Dragon engine seems to be tuned more for city use.

If you want nothing but petrol, then the Dragon doesn't quite have the fire. The real dragon is the Ecoboost engine.

In the city, the TDCi doesn't really shine, as it has a bit of Turbo lag, and the clutch isn't exactly light. The gearshift is notchy, especially 1st and 2nd. The lack of grunt at low rpm complicates matters. It also has the tendency to stall, especially on inclines, if it's been idling for too long and you don't nudge the throttle first before letting out the clutch. I'm told that a remap or a tuning box could do wonders in this case though.

That said, the Tata Nexon is offering stiff competition to the Ecosport in terms of sportiness. Granted, the long term reliability and resale value of the car is not assured yet, but if the reviews are to be believed, the Nexon is indeed faster than the Ecosport on a track. The current Ecosport's retuning of the suspension for better ride might be the reason for this.

Also the Nexon diesel does have 108 bhp and 260Nm of torque, (99 and 205 for the Ecosport) as well as a 6th gear. It might be the enthusiast's choice in the segment. Tata's work with Narain Karthikeyan seems to have paid off. There's also the AMT option for the diesel and petrol engines, which would be a boon in the 80% of city use. It's also cheaper than the Ecosport by a good margin. It's also more comfortable, especially if you're overweight, and is more comfortable in the back as well.

Ford is making a big mistake by not playing it's core strength of making driver's cars any more. Their first misstep was with the Figo twins, and now the Ecosport is losing to Tata on the track? And a NA 3 cylinder for the compact SUV segment? Really?

Last edited by vivekgk : 15th June 2018 at 19:49. Reason: Typos. My bad.
vivekgk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 13:56   #11683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
Hello Folks,

One of my relatives has decided to book the Ecosport. However, after reading a few posts on the forum, we're confused between the Petrol and the Diesel motors. I had a few questions about both the motors:

1) Is the TDCI a better motor than the Dragon? If yes, any particular reason?

2) Which motor suits an enthusiast? - the Dragon or the TDCI? Is the Dragon to an enthusiast’s taste (free revving, good top end)?

3) Is it worth spending a premium of 70K for the diesel because it gets an extra cylinder + a turbocharger. Doesn’t it lose out on power though?

4) The car would be used 80% in the city and the rest 20% on Highways and Ghats. On ghat roads and highways, does the Diesel outperform the petrol?

5) The 1.5 TDCI is fast in the lighter Figo twins. How does it feel in the heavier Ecosport? Not that we will be scorching the highways, but for that occasional high speed run, will the Diesel Ecosport be fast, better than the Petrol?

6) How is the Dragon on open roads - is it a good performer or does it leave a lot to be satisfied?

Thanks in advance
Prathik
As a owner of a 2013 Ford Ecosport diesel, I can assure you that u may ignore the numbers quoted about the engine. On the highway, it is a gem of an engine and with the dynamics of the car you can do unbelievable or unmentionable speeds without breaking a sweat. In gear acceleration is very good. I also own a 3 gen Honda city which has a 116/118 bhp engine. I would anyday take the Ecosport with its 90 bhp engine on the highway as it effortlessly maintains speed, is capable of being revved almost like a petrol engine and unlike the petrol motor is less sensitive to the weight of the car(number of passengers and luggage). Overtaking is a breeze even in fully loaded condition. So the numbers dont always match with the real life experiences.

The urban characteristics of the car are different. It is easy to drive around town in 99 percent situations. There are no issues on level roads and any type of stop go traffic. In the initial days I used to get caught out on inclines where my previous cars pulled through with a little nudge on the accelator. Specifically I had trouble climbing a incline which comes after a sharp turn. The weight of the car, the momentum, the rpm and the gear I was in all were contributory. In the last five years in a congested area of Bangalore, that is the only situation I had to keep a watch out for. Simply anticipating the situation and being ready to down shift is all it takes.

I have not test driven the dragon series. So cant comment on its characteristics. There is a talk of buying another ecosport in the family and considering how happy I have been with the characteristics of the diesel, the only problem I see with the diesel is the lack of automatic transmission.

The provision of six airbags in the ecosport for me personally trumps it over Nexon, Brezza.
drjkonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 15:56   #11684
BHPian

Cross posting from the Figo thread as both the cars have the same engine and ecosport has a larger bhpian base and could provide me with a clear solution,

This is with respect to my 1.5 year old, ~61K run Figo 1.5 Tdci.

On a very recent drive where it was possible to drive the car at speeds unmentionable here, the car after continuous driving at >3500 rpm started to throw tantrums.

First the AC compressor stopped working and then after 5 minutes of driving at >3500 rpm in 5th gear, the overheat sign was displayed at the instrument cluster.
The problem would not occur if driving at 3400 rpm for any duration of time but maintaining 3500 rpm or more would cause these problems to start again.

Couple of things to note (which I think could be related to this problem),
1. Coolant hasn't been changed even once as of yet.
2. Air Filter was removed and cleaned just 4K kms before this incident.
3. Car has been run almost daily since its birth, serviced at proper intervals, has extended warranty and I try to take as much care of her as any bhpian would do.
4. The commonly known problem of the climate control sensor buzzing occurs in my car and the replacement is on its way.

I haven't visited a Ford ASS regarding this because I wanted to have a clear idea about the situation before being bombarded with a list of replacement by Ford ASS.

Thanks for taking the time out to provide your valuable input.
bhphog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 17:08   #11685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
the car after continuous driving at >3500 rpm started to throw tantrums.

First the AC compressor stopped working and then after 5 minutes of driving at >3500 rpm in 5th gear, the overheat sign was displayed at the instrument cluster.
The problem would not occur if driving at 3400 rpm for any duration of time but maintaining 3500 rpm or more would cause these problems to start again.
There are two major signals the car gave you. One was the Ac comp switching off and second was the overheat sign. I'm assuming here that your Ac worked fine at lower rpms/speed.

The Ac part should be the first sign that your car has started to overheat already. An Ac compressor cutting off abnormally when at constant speed and refusing to switch back on is a sureshot sign of engine heating. That's the first precaution the ECU/ECM takes when it senses engine overheat. I don't know how many people know of this or remember it.

Now since engine temp readings is not continuously displayed with an analogue type meter these days and most vehicles only having an overheat light or something in the display, it's hard or impossible to know when the engine has already started heating up and you only get to know when the light comes on and that is mostly after the engine is considerably heated up already. Most folks don't even notice the light and for them the only sign is steam coming out of the hood, typical old-school bollywood style :sly: . Unfortunately, for most of the delicate engines on duty these days, at this stage the head gasket may be already blown :banghead:

In this case, for some reason, the engine seems to be heating up at that particular rpm range. It can be some Ac malfunction or a software bug which cuts off the condenser fan at that rpm or some such glitch with your cars cooling system too. A thorough diagnosis is warranted. Not sure if the FASS guys will be able to pinpoint the error and might just replace some stuff. An FNG might be able to help.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed