Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-83.html)

All indications point to a very aggressive price point for the entry level variants (Ambiente and Trend) of the Ecosport. Latest article by Indian Express :

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/fo...math/1133290/0

Ecosport Diesel available for test drive in Cochin. Planning to TD it today/tomo. Prices will be announced tomo.

Spoke to Wasan Ford, Marinelines in Mumbai who sent me invite for launch at 3pm tomorrow. TDs will be available only from 27th June (one day after the launch). Also, here's a shocker:Shockked:, first lot will mostly have diesel variants (1.5L Petrol and Ecoboost will consist less than 10% of the lot). For Automatic variant, Sales representative quoted August end delivery, that too if Ford allots them all the cars that they are requesting. He also stated that Ecoboost and Automatic kit is fully imported so two months waiting period is "normal". I countered him on what kind of supply chain mechanism Ford is following? Is Ford going to order the engines and kits after bookings by the customers? Needless to say, he didn't have any answer. Seems like Ford has really taken the "Just in Time" concept to an altogether new level:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 3158730)

Can't climb a slope with 5 on board? I'd say his choice of gear was wrong!

He says in response "The Car would not pull unless sufficient RPM was reached to open the EcoBoost."
I guess he forgot that he was driving a turbo charged engine and that's how its supposed to work !!

This is from my review:

Quote:

The EcoBoost has definite turbo-lag at lower rpms. This was evident from the minute we started driving. Upwards of 1,500 rpm, there is some pull from the engine, but it really starts gathering pace only from 1,800 rpm onward.

If your office's basement parking entails a steep ramp, you might have to slip the clutch in 1st gear too.
I think we have mentioned pretty clearly that the motor has characteristics of a typical turbo charged engine and all it needs is a change in driving style. No turbo diesel car I have driven can climb a basement ramp easily without slipping the clutch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by civic-sense (Post 3158928)
I guess, in a diesel, you have better torque at the low revs. In petrol, u have neither bhp nor torque.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avmaxfan (Post 3158968)
The Ecoboost engine develops 170NM of torque between 1400-4500 RPM. So max torque is available at quite low RPM. :)

In comparison the 1.5 D develops 204NM at 2000-2750 RPM

Any idea what is the idling rpm of the Ecoboost engine? AFAIK, petrols have higher idling rpm. My Figo TDCi stays at about 800 rpm so I think Ecoboost would be higher than that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipnil (Post 3159467)
Any idea what is the idling rpm of the Ecoboost engine? AFAIK, petrols have higher idling rpm. My Figo TDCi stays at about 800 rpm so I think Ecoboost would be higher than that.

Most petrol cars idle around 900-1000 rpm. The EcoBoost shouldn't be too far away from it. I'd imagine 1000rpm or very fractionally higher to also refine the 3 cylinder idle vibrations a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSIched'Out (Post 3159285)
Spoke to Wasan Ford, Marinelines in Mumbai who sent me invite for launch at 3pm tomorrow. TDs will be available only from 27th June (one day after the launch). Also, here's a shocker:Shockked:, first lot will mostly have diesel variants (1.5L Petrol and Ecoboost will consist less than 10% of the lot). For Automatic variant, Sales representative quoted August end delivery, that too if Ford allots them all the cars that they are requesting. He also stated that Ecoboost and Automatic kit is fully imported so two months waiting period is "normal". I countered him on what kind of supply chain mechanism Ford is following? Is Ford going to order the engines and kits after bookings by the customers? Needless to say, he didn't have any answer. Seems like Ford has really taken the "Just in Time" concept to an altogether new level:Frustrati

This is what even I found frustrating. Not really happy. It's a forced constraint created by Ford, nothing else.

I booked automatic, not sure when would I get one.

Ford is right not to concentrate or maybe totally ignore the petrol models, other than for filling up their brochure, petrol serves no purpose. The fact is that if EcoSport is to have sales, the diesel will do the trick. The petrol engines are there for variety's sake. How many people are going to risk a petrol in an election year with the Rupee tanking? The diesel's good for 20kmpl on the highway driven flat out, the petrol version is a joke.

I saw a blue Ford EcoSport today in Bandra. The car was being driven in the opposite direction from Bandstand. It was TN registered and the car looked really good in flesh and had an overall balanced stance.

When I test drove Ecoboost, I was not impressed with the drivability. The lag till 1500 personally I did not like. Beyond 1500 also there was no such turbo kick which will push me in the seat. I joking asked the sales guy, are u sure they you with turbo 😁

Got a mailer from Ford with link to Webcast of the launch event tomorrow at 12:30 PM

Here is the link
https://www.facebook.com/FordEcoSpor...25642294195324

Bajaj-KTM have shocked us today with the very competitive 'launch' price of 1.8L for the 390 Duke.

Its now upto Ford to do the same tomorrow @ 12:30 :Cheering: With the Fiesta pricing fiasco in their kitty, I think they will not repeat the same mistake again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSIched'Out (Post 3159285)

I had a similar conversation with another dealer in Mumbai. Here is how it went:
Me: I have pre-booked an EcoSport with you, what are the delivery timelines?
SA: 3-6 months
Me: So are you telling me that for the next 90 days Ford won't deliver any vehicle to any one after launch?
SA: We don't know the schedules as yet but it will take time, which model do you want?
Me: 1.5 AT Titanium
SA: Auto and EcoBoost will take longer as the emphasis is on Diesel; it may be phased
Me: Ford India MD says that they are geared up for delivery and will launch all models simultaneously, have they told you differently?
SA: There is low demand for AT, it is mostly Diesels and EcoBoost thus a waiting period
Me: So they will produce less of the ATs but will they not deliver at all?
SA: May be some, we will start entering booking data from tomorrow after prices come in
Me: Where in the booking sequence I am? Can you please share that if you cannot share Ford info?
SA: May be in the first 20; possibly 1st or 2nd AT. Keep your down payment and bank disbursement handy as it will be first come first serve
Me: I did come first, that is what the pre-booking is; only if you are willing to honor it
SA: Sir, the vehicle is so good that people are lining up
Me: Do you expect premium on this? Aren't those days over?
SA: You never know, there are people willing, moreover you may not decide if you don't find the price right
Me: Alright, so you discount when the sales are low and would make a killing now; doesn't sound very good to me. However, I have done my homework, have test driven Fiesta, liked the AT there, know it's price and that EcoSport may be priced slightly below as it is sub-4 meter; I do not expect a Titanium trim Powershift at 6 lakhs and have an upper cap near Fiesta prices; thus have reasonable expectation; why would I back out; but if you think you have windfall opportunities and are not willing to honor the pre-booking or have really 3 months waiting period; I will look for other alternatives; a customer won't indefinitely
SA (composed a bit): We will provide you complete information tomorrow and would like you to be happy with our services and go home satisfied

They invited me to the launch and agreed to share more information on delivery timelines tomorrow.

Take Home: They are sensing that sun is shining and they would like to make some serious hay as the customer doesn't have adequate information, certainly not the best foot forward by Ford. I wouldn't indulge in distress purchase and consider other options if they continue their ambiguity and opportunistic approach. Let us see how it pans out tomorrow.

Went and saw the vehicle at Metro Ford. Did not take a TD though I was offered one. They do not have the EcoBoost 1 litre engine Titanium version except at their Palace Road facility. That is the only variant I wanted to experience.
Small notes:
First impressions are that the car is more than adequate. Decent quality. Nice to sit in, both in front and in the rear. Decent legroom for a large 6 footer like me to sit in the back. Even with the front driver seat pushed fully back a tall chap can manage short distances.
The rear seat will only fit two adults and perhaps a child. Lateral golf bag test is definitely going to fail but that is expected given the width and overall compactness of the vehicle.
I like that nylon or PVC retractable parcel tray cover. I think the fit, finish and finesse are very good indeed, in comparison to the Scorpio, Safari, Duster and even the XUV to an extent.
I did not go too much in detail today owing to lack of time but I will do so when the EcoBoost becomes available for a TD. Picked up a photocopied spec sheet but cannot understand some of the stuff in it.
Speculative pricing on road BLR as per the sales bloke there: 12 to 12.5 lacs on road for the Top spec Titanium Diesel with all options. 11 to 11.5 lac on road for the Top Spec petrol EcoBoost with all options. Anyway all will be revealed tomorrow!
Overall I think it is a highly sensible car, very well put together and packaged. Ideal for a typical urban family with a little yen for some adventure or at least for those who want to look the part! Like the Duster this one is going to kick the dust up very fast and very far indeed...it is really going to be a segment smasher, forget segment buster!