Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2013, 21:51   #1246
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Did TD of both TDci and Ecoboost at AVK, Powai. All my wait for months and fancy pre-booking priority number goes for a toss. The TD was more of a crawl in evening peak hour of mumbai..but it also brought out how blinding is the "tree-trunk thick" A-pillar. I had no idea of the bikes and autos that were overtaking till it could see it in front. Whilst ecoboost was nothing like i've driven before, the A-pillar was reminding me to keep my eyes constantly on the rear-view.

The width of driver and passenger seat assumes you have a healthy Body Mass Index.

The dark shaded interiors for a car of this size makes it a bit engulfing on you. Only thing that stopped me from cancelling my pre-booking is the wish-ful thinking that ford's pricing may make me take a re-look.
Moto-Mariner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 22:06   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Ford is right not to concentrate or maybe totally ignore the petrol models, other than for filling up their brochure, petrol serves no purpose. The fact is that if EcoSport is to have sales, the diesel will do the trick. The petrol engines are there for variety's sake. How many people are going to risk a petrol in an election year with the Rupee tanking? The diesel's good for 20kmpl on the highway driven flat out, the petrol version is a joke.
I partially agree with you. It all boils down to pricing i believe. If the Petrol 1.5 version if efficient enough i still see people going for it provided its priced a little higher than Premium hatch.
Unless the efficiency is going to be in single digits, petrol Ecosport might pull in some decent numbers.
BTW i consider 11-15KM/l a decent FE for petrol given that i have seen i20(1.2) giving consistent FE of 11-13 on highway with 4-5 people on board .

w.r.to Ecoboost i dont understand who would buy it. It might not get on road price benefit compared to Diesel,drivability is not good as diesel,neither i expect the FE of diesel nor the cheap engine parts given that it is imported.Unless priced atleast 50K cheaper than diesel i dont see a reason why should people buy Ecoboost.
Old 25th June 2013, 22:20   #1248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I think the fit, finish and finesse are very good indeed, in comparison to the Scorpio, Safari, Duster and even the XUV to an extent.
Due respect to the evaluation by a veteran however I differ when it comes with the interior quality. Looking at the plastic quality of not only the dash but also door pads, the pull type handles which move with the base when a door is opened, I could not help but doubt if the quality of interior material is at par with the Ecosport sold in EU, or as I say at par with Ford standards

The sheet metal work and the paint quality is undoubtedly of high standards.

I fear the spare wheel weight shall make the tail gate develop rattles sooner or later as have been the case with any other vehicle in India.

The display car had the the glove box cover hanging loose and for any quality related issue raised I was told that we(ford) have not done the PDI of this vehicle yet. And then a forced comparison with Duster features and quality was used to save face. A now discounted Yeti which shall be about 2 lakhs costlier but miles ahead in performance/quality. Why dont we compare the Ecosport diesel titanium with that vehicle while demanding quality.
.Albatross. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 22:26   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mariner View Post
Did TD of both TDci and Ecoboost at AVK, Powai. All my wait for months and fancy pre-booking priority number goes for a toss. The TD was more of a crawl in evening peak hour of mumbai..but it also brought out how blinding is the "tree-trunk thick" A-pillar. I had no idea of the bikes and autos that were overtaking till it could see it in front. Whilst ecoboost was nothing like i've driven before, the A-pillar was reminding me to keep my eyes constantly on the rear-view.
Hi, Since you mentioned that you drove ecoboost in slow traffic, can you explain about the lag you felt in lower rpms? Were you mostly in first gear? Please explain more about your experience on ecoboost.
Old 25th June 2013, 22:37   #1250
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Albatross. View Post

I fear the spare wheel weight shall make the tail gate develop rattles sooner or later as have been the case with any other vehicle in India.

The display car had the the glove box cover hanging loose and for any quality related issue raised I was told that we(ford) have not done the PDI of this vehicle yet. And then a forced comparison with Duster features and quality was used to save face. A now discounted Yeti which shall be about 2 lakhs costlier but miles ahead in performance/quality. Why dont we compare the Ecosport diesel titanium with that vehicle while demanding quality.
My impression today was that the interior and fit, finish etc were pretty good. I would not wish to compare the EcoSport to a vehicle which is priced almost double..i.e. the Yeti. I drive a Yeti and it is significantly different, no doubt. To me it would make better sense from a normal buyer's perspective to compare with similar vehicles which are priced roughly in the ball park or perhaps just a tad more expensive. Hence the allusion to Duster, Scorpio, Safari, XUV etc.

Am not sure about the difference between the quality levels in the India spec vs the Euro or Mexico, Brazil spec having not seen those. Ref the rattling possibilities on account of the tail gate mounted spare, this is likely to happen to any vehicle of a similar type, given the typical Indian road conditions!

If I am unhappy about anything it is the lackadaisical approach from Ford on what is after all a much awaited, keenly anticipated and admittedly extremely important model for them. This vehicle can single handedly burn the charts down in terms of sales. While they should have taken a great deal more care, they have been very slipshod indeed. They ought to have stacked the showrooms with visual merchandising material, brochures, leaflets, specification sheets and every possible collateral, all in bright lovely colour! They have the vehicles on display so they really should have had the price lists out and ready too! Another thing, they should make it their business after nearly 18 years in India, to darned well make sure that they have each and every single variant available for consumer test drives. This is where all these blighters mess up and we, half starved Indian public, simply lie down and lap up all that they deign to throw our way along with the lousy attitude, service and 'take for granted' behaviour...this really gets my goat as a paying consumer...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th June 2013 at 22:45.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 22:53   #1251
BHPian

@shankar.balan My statement was based on the price projected by the Ford salesman of the model on display(>11L ex showroom).

On raising the quality related queries on the car on display the last thing they did was to ask me to have a look at the Fiesta Classic if I want better interior quality. It happened at Harpreet Ford in my city.

I have owned and driven Scorpios for more than a lakh kms and i can state interior color scheme was far superior and interior plastic panels/switches took the use and abuse bravely which I doubt with Ecosport.
Old 25th June 2013, 23:16   #1252
Senior - BHPian

Not having all variants to TD is seemingly the norm these days with the new launches. Couldn't get a TD of a petrol or 85 PS (diesel) Duster even 3 months after its launch. I know many people who picked up an 85 without ever TD'ing it. Scary!

Hope to see some sensible pricing by Ford for the ES. The dealers were a bit tense, given the hash Ford made with the new Fiesta prices. To most of them, this is a make or break vehicle (their words, not mine). Fingers crossed.
Old 25th June 2013, 23:24   #1253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinesh View Post
Hi, Since you mentioned that you drove ecoboost in slow traffic, can you explain about the lag you felt in lower rpms? Were you mostly in first gear? Please explain more about your experience on ecoboost.
I test-drove both. Both engines are decent enough to potter about in 3rd gear at at speeds as low as 30 kmph, but if you want to get away quickly by slamming down the accelerator, both show some lag. Give the ecoboost a second or so and it will start responding, the diesel will make you wait a little longer.

Also
1. I felt the torque is linear on the ecoboost, the diesel pushes harder at around 2000 rpm
2. The ecoboost can keep going beyond 5000 rpm (and the engine note is pleasant), but diesel would go on a rant after 4000 rpm and force you to shift up
3. Diesel engine noise insulation is excellent at reasonable RPMs. Ecoboost engine can be heard well and I like that.

Please note that I've never gotten used to driving a diesel. So, my perceptions may be slightly biased towards petrol, because I felt "at home" driving the ecoboost.

Quote:
My impression today was that the interior and fit, finish etc were pretty good. I would not wish to compare the EcoSport to a vehicle which is priced almost double..i.e. the Yeti. I drive a Yeti and it is significantly different, no doubt. To me it would make better sense from a normal buyer's perspective to compare with similar vehicles which are priced roughly in the ball park or perhaps just a tad more expensive. Hence the allusion to Duster, Scorpio, Safari, XUV etc.
I agree with you on how car companies treat us here. But I guess they all focus on the "long term". During the hype, the customer goes to the company with a wad of notes, so they can be complacent. But they need to gear up for 3 months down the line, when customers walk in, they should have a great experience. I'm sure Ford will get there before the hype subsides.

Coming to the point on the Yeti, the comparison is apt because the Yeti and Ecosport seem to share the same DNA in terms of size and sophistication. All the other options like XUV, scorpio and safari are much larger, and the duster looks more rugged than sophisticated. I would, any day, go for a Yeti if I had the money. But the fact is I can't afford one, so the next best alternative to me is the Ecosport. I will never consider the likes of XUV, Scorpio etc. Now it all depends on pricing. If top-end ecosport ends up costing 12.5L on-road, I'll eek out 3 lacs from somewhere and go in for Yeti Ambition 4x2 instead (we're getting good discounts now-a-days).
saisrujan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 23:25   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have owned and driven Scorpios for more than a lakh kms and i can state interior color scheme was far superior and interior plastic panels/switches took the use and abuse bravely which I doubt with Ecosport.
While i agree with you on the Scorpio part (own a 2006 model and it has done 99k kms), i beg to disagree on Ecosport. Our Scorpio has had its share of small niggles with ac and rattles but its still far more reliable than the latest XUV, yes the switches etc are same as on day 1, the car is mechanically reliable but i dont see why you think Ecosport wont fare good over long term.

I have seen Fiestas and Figos which have done around the 70-90k kms mark
and all were in pretty good shape, Fords are built well and though we cant be sure as to how Ecosport should be after 4 years as its a new launch but i dont think the interiors would give up or it would start rattling like a Maruti.

Its a nicely built car and the interiors felt well put together to my eyes and if its priced nicely, it would be a very good package in this segment.

Am going tomorrow to book my diesel Ecosport Titanium in mars red, that if Ford dont mess up their pricing strategy, dealer himself said that this is the last chance for Ford now. Selling our 8 year old Scorpio for this, had 2 brief test drives yesterday and today and this is just the apt car for our family of 3 + a golden retriever dog, with the seats folded all the way, the dog would surely have a lot of fun.

Its a dynamically sound car, superb brakes, low NVH, good FE and a much needed upgrade for my 53 year old dad from Scorpio which is very hard to drive for him. Has a light steering, light clutch, slick gearbox and should be good to potter around in city and hills where that 200 mm ground clearance is needed.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 25th June 2013 at 23:27.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 01:15   #1255
BHPian

People don't really have to question Ford's long term reliability. I own a 2006 Fiesta TDCi and it has run 99800 kms. Not even once I had trouble because of rattles. Not even once my vehicle broke down or had major repairs. Ford service is really prompt as well. Didn't had any issues at all. Yeah, spares used to be costly. But with the amount of localization, it came down as well.

And it's not just one Fiesta in my family and there is one more with same specs as described above.

With just few mins look during TD, I don't think we should conclude on anything.

Had Maruti's, TATA's and Ford is most reliable, I would say.
Old 26th June 2013, 02:08   #1256
BANNED

I believe, thanks to the compact SUV opening up recently (with the Duster and now the EcoSport). Many of the guys who probably bought a Scorpio or Safari even half a decade back, would probably realise they might have bought more car than they required. But who can blame them....Those were the only real choices back then, and not everyone needs a ladder-frame chassis SUV originally made to go mud-plugging, just to get groceries from the Supermarket! !
Old 26th June 2013, 06:53   #1257
BANNED

Quote:
@shankar.balan My statement was based on the price projected by the Ford salesman of the model on display(>11L ex showroom).
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
Coming to the point on the Yeti, the comparison is apt because the Yeti and Ecosport seem to share the same DNA in terms of size and sophistication. All the other options like XUV, scorpio and safari are much larger, and the duster looks more rugged than sophisticated. I would, any day, go for a Yeti if I had the money. But the fact is I can't afford one, so the next best alternative to me is the Ecosport. I will never consider the likes of XUV, Scorpio etc. Now it all depends on pricing. If top-end ecosport ends up costing 12.5L on-road, I'll eek out 3 lacs from somewhere and go in for Yeti Ambition 4x2 instead (we're getting good discounts now-a-days).
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I believe, thanks to the compact SUV opening up recently (with the Duster and now the EcoSport). Many of the guys who probably bought a Scorpio or Safari even half a decade back, would probably realise they might have bought more car than they required.
Albatross: I sold my Scorp to buy the Yeti. Having used my Scorp all over the place over 4 years and 50k kms, I also am equally clear that the Scorp is absolutely nowhere near as modern or as well finished as the EcoSport. Hence I beg to differ with your point.

Saisrujan: They Yeti shares its underpinnings with the Laura . The EcoSport, with the Fiesta. The Fiesta and Laura belong to two different classes entirely.
While the size and concept are similar, as in Compact SUV, the sophistication in a Yeti is significantly greater. However, each, in its own way offers a lot of bang for the buck. In Bangalore, the Yeti 4x2 base level model itself works out to some 19 lacs on road. Even given a 2 lac discount ( which usually does not happen on the base model, by the way), we are still talking of the price of a small hatch as a differential between the EcoSport speculated 12 lac price and the Yeti base level! Hence we really cannot compare the two in that sense. If a buyer is able to spend 15-16 lacs straight or via EMI, only the more sophisticated, evolved ones would go for a Yeti, because unfortunately for most people, size matters. The only compact SUV type vehicle(s) that may suit an evolved person who is on a budget, would be the EcoSport and to some extent the Duster. There really is not much more choice out there unfortunately.

Agambhandari: Early on, the Forester and the Fusion actually tried to address this segment, but the market was not evolved sufficiently to appreciate either. The unsung Yeti actually opened up a new 'need state' for the evolved Indian consumer whose primary need was not space or size but functionality and quality and safety. I that sense the Yeti broke the ground for this mew segment. As is typical, the second comer, the Duster, captured this segment brilliantly on account of sharp pricing and perceived solidity, value for money etc. However, while the Duster is a great vehicle in many ways, it still does feel engineered to a cost. Now the little EcoSport is poised to eat up market share so rapidly that everyone, me included are going to be left standing, mouths agape in wonderment! It is going to be the absolute best vehicle for the smart young urban yuppie as well as the sophisticated rural 'country gent'. The only anticipatory bail I will take on this statement is that the pricing will be the decider, though from all accounts, they will not disappoint!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th June 2013 at 06:55.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 07:20   #1258
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault has the Captur to take on Ecosport in terms of features. But I doubt that they can price this car competitively in India

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-dscn1744.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-dscn1745.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-dscn1746.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-dscn1747.jpg

The other option would be to get the segment lower Dacia Stepway which is certainly built to a cost and can clearly shake the current B2 segment and the lower end Ecosport

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...13-CAR-review/

I hope Renault brings in the Stepway. Just the announcement will ensure Ecosport is priced sensibly

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 07:31   #1259
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Renault has the Captur to take on Ecosport in terms of features. But I doubt that they can price this car competitively in India

The other option would be to get the segment lower Dacia Stepway which is certainly built to a cost and can clearly shake the current B2 segment and the lower end Ecosport

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...13-CAR-review/

I hope Renault brings in the Stepway. Just the announcement will ensure Ecosport is priced sensibly

Cheers

KPS
The captur looks very futuristic, predatory and almost as brutally efficient mechanically as the 'raptors' of old must have been, albeit in flesh and blood...
Yes, the Captur can become a super challenger, but as you say, that is a long way off for India.
The Sandero stepway is more like a competitor to the SX4 hatch really though I guess at a pinch it can offer some sort of challenge to the EcoSport.
I would await the Chevy Trax to see further warmth in this segment...
Old 26th June 2013, 07:41   #1260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In Bangalore, the Yeti 4x2 base level model itself works out to some 19 lacs on road. Even given a 2 lac discount ( which usually does not happen on the base model, by the way), we are still talking of the price of a small hatch as a differential between the EcoSport speculated 12 lac price and the Yeti base level!
Have the Yeti prices gone up? Exactly one year back, when I was looking around, the pricing with a discount of a lakh touched just above 16 all inclusive. Has it gone up to 19 now? Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Renault would take at least a generation or two to get that guy in here! Would have loved to see it in Indian market.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks