Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 12:36   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Ford EcoSport bookings commence.

Quote:
Ford dealerships have started taking bookings for the upcoming EcoSport. The booking amount for the same is Rs 50,000, with deliveries being made by end June or early July.
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/344...-commence.aspx
Old 28th May 2013, 12:39   #257
BHPian

Who would book the the car without taking test drives and without knowing the prices? What variants they would book? or, this is just an advance money to buy your place in the queue?
Old 28th May 2013, 12:58   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Its a bit of strange packaging. To add-on, I believe the so called top-end Titanium (O) does not get ESP.
Strange packaging? Understatement of the year. Its a deal breaker, at least for people like me. Both AT and front/side/curtain airbags are non-negotiable. I can live without SYNC or even cruise control (another strange omission), but I can't stand not having AT and 6 airbags.
Pacifica is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 12:59   #259
BHPian

Awesome review. The eye to detail was inch perfect. I waited and waited for this time and went ahead with i20 in april, hope I don't have to regret my decision after I see the Ecosport on road.
Old 28th May 2013, 13:00   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
While reading last few comments I can easily deduce that EcoSport is facing the same positioning problem which was faced by Fusion 9 years ago.
If anyone remembers the T-BHP 'Test Drive' section which was discontinued few months back (It was one of the best feature, I still miss it) the opening lines regarding the Fusion mentioned very clearly that no way Fusion should be mistaken for an SUV, it is more of a overgrown hatch as it looks 'puny' due to the sliding roof design at the back.
All this and more applies for EcoSport...
I completely agree with you on the fact that the Ecosport seems to be caught in a cross. Not for the lack of bootspace, but for the lack of room for the mistress. I think the things that is missing between the Fusion and the Ecosport which can be a deal breaker is just 2

1. Extra room for the fifth one
2. Steering softness - the fusion had one of the best steerings in the earlier vehicles. I still have tons of my friends who take a spin in my Fusion and kick themselves for getting the EPS one, although EPS is the future.

Agree on wooing Fusion customers. I am a cat on the fence and would love to see what Ford can do to convert me completely. we are who we are, we look for freebies even in the best of products

If the pricing is not spot on, you have another Fusion. A killer vehicle, never understood by the Indian public for what it is worth

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th May 2013 at 15:36.
Old 28th May 2013, 13:19   #261
Senior - BHPian

One of the most awaited reviews in the recent times. The review is awesome. 5*. Wait for the pricing would be over on 11th June.

Any reason why automatics are offered less on diesel models?
Old 28th May 2013, 13:26   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post

Any reason why automatics are offered less on diesel models?
I'd like to believe that manufacturers haven't mated AT 'boxes to diesel cars because diesel engines produce a whole lot more torque than petrol cars. The manufacturer will be required to engineer an all new AT 'box specifically for diesel applications in order to deal with the excess turning-force.

Besides, it's logical for petrol cars to have AT 'boxes as they ought to be driven in the city and less frequently than their diesel cousins.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 13:27   #263
BHPian

Great Review !

Hope Ford Prices this one well . Are the diesel & petrol models going to be launched together or the eco-sport petrol first and then diesel ?
Old 28th May 2013, 14:05   #264
BHPian

Fantastic review. Thanks Vids for the same. Not to be said how eagerly we were waiting for this, the number of pages of reply in 2 days and the number of views says it all. Waiting for the price details.
Old 28th May 2013, 14:05   #265
BHPian

Brilliant review as usual and rated 5 stars as usual. For me, the biggest deal breaker is that the AT does not come with the Titanuim + trim option. I would have loved to have 6 airbags with AT. Hope Ford introduces it in future.
Old 28th May 2013, 14:26   #266
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review! You guys keep taking the benchmark of reviews higher and higher!

The ecosport seems very well packaged and looks like this is going to be a cash cow for Ford. I would have bought one if it was around last year! This car is so convincing! I mean i'm a hardcore sedan lover, but this ticks all the right boxes!

Congrats to anyone who has gone ahead with the ecosport. I hope the pricing is not a turn off.
Old 28th May 2013, 14:28   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
Ecosport diesel review is out on Top Gear:
http://www.topgear.com/india/ford/re...esel/itemid-51
They say the suspension is soft and our official review says it is hard. Can there be difference in suspension between petrol and diesel variants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Installing after-market airbags?? Dude, that can go scarily wrong! The huge implications it will have on the safety and legal sides are not worth the risk IMO!
Please note the key words of my post highlighted here in bold "They should atleast offer extra airbags as after-market fitment option". So it refers to they = car manufacturer fitted extra = side / curtain airbags, additional to front airbags already provided.

I don't know whether this adds any complication to the setup existing for two airbags already installed in the car. My layman impression is that it maybe a matter of taking additional output (provided extra output provisioning is there) from the airbag control unit and wire it to the additional airbags.

On a related note, do side airbags work from different set of sensors? Does it always deploy together with front airbags?
Old 28th May 2013, 14:43   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I don't know whether this adds any complication to the setup existing for two airbags already installed in the car. My layman impression is that it maybe a matter of taking additional output (provided extra output provisioning is there) from the airbag control unit and wire it to the additional airbags.

On a related note, do side airbags work from different set of sensors? Does it always deploy together with front airbags?
No, the deployment is not together. Even the sensors are placed at different positions for detecting the type of crash: front/ rear/ side/ rollover. It is possible that both side and front airbags are deployed at the same time but that is purely based on the kind of crash detected.
It is not always easy to extend the number of airbags from 2 to 6. The software shall need considerable changes to accommodate the information of these additional airbags. Usually the Tier supplier/ OEM shall have variant specific configuration to provide a solution to such scenarios.
Old 28th May 2013, 14:47   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Vidyut, great review. I know this one would be a tough question for you to answer. Will the suspension be comfortable for a person with lower back pain? Handling is not a criteria here, comfort is.
For a person with lower back problems, the Duster is the best option. The EcoSport is good but the Duster has a magic carpet ride in comparison. The EcoSport is more neutral with better handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaurabh21 View Post
I am unsure about how serious risk is posed by the absence of skid plate. Can this be a deal breaker?
It's a deal breaker if your looking at taking your car off the tarmac. If it's for urban use, I wouldn't call it a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Is the backseat width worse than Figo?
The back seat width is similar to the Figo. I haven't been able to fit 3 in my Figo comfortably as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
And now Viddy knowing you must be having the answer, tell me how this works.
So do you have to do a mental calculation to take that tyre thickness in mind?
Yes you do! Since the parking sensors are on the bumper, they do not take into account the spare tyre. So you need to know how much to account for the spare tyre. GTO and I spoke about this exact same issue.

Quote:

Reinforcing my believe that the thick A pillar is actually a safety feature, the attached photo is taken from moderator Rehaan's thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...po-2012-a.html (Ford @ Auto Expo 2012). Note the red members which are identified as boron reinforced steel. Those are actually high stress members incase of a roll over impact to the roof.
The Ecosport has the same Boron steel at key structural points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Fourth I did not see (I may have missed out) a power windows lock (for rear windows) on the driver side.
Power window locks are present on the driver's door power window switch cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I think someone already asked this question before but i did not see the answer. How is the EcoSport rear seat space as compared to say that of Figo/i20/Amaze etc. ?

Also the boot seems to be bigger than that of Figo. please confirm ? I am yet to see EcoSport in person so just need these information to keep my excitement going
Rear seat space is a little more in the Amaze but the EcoSport beats almost hatches on sale today when it comes to rear legroom. Like I mentioned it's on par with sedans and not hatches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I was going through some tweets related to EcoSport and came across a reply from Renuka Kriplani where she says that rear space in terms of legroom and width of EcoSport could be similar to that of Swift.

What a shocker!
If you take a look at the photo of me sitting in the rear seat, you will see I have ample legroom. This is after I adjusted the front seat for myself in a comfortable position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Its a bit of strange packaging. To add-on, I believe the so called top-end Titanium (O) does not get ESP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I could live with 2 airbags instead of 6 (though 6 is preferred) but wonder what other features the Titanium (O) has over the Titanium variant for the AT. Generally they tend to throw in some other stuff in an AT model. The AT model in this case has ESP and Hill Hold Control.
The manual ones don't seem to have ESP in Titanium (O) but the AT which is Titanium will get ESP and hill hold assist from the looks of it.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 15:02   #270
BHPian

Hey Vid6639 or GTO,
Do you have any info on what colours are going to be available? Checked Ford's websites and even the downloadable brochure, but did not find any info.
Please share if possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks