Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2013, 01:34   #2566
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
Ecosport is the best handler for its height, in its segment. Please not the duster which feels built for a price.

Each man to his own. Handling is not about how heavy the steering feels but it is how the chassis has been engineered. The confidence it gives the driver to push more. Ecosport stands out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
The best handler for its height ? May be, but the best handler in its segment (compact SUV) the duster wins hands down.

I agree that people may have different perspectives in mind when choosing a car, I was quite happy with my i20 even thought it was not a drivers car.

But to say that the Ecosport handles better than Dzire (both old and new) is blasphemy, do you know at-least 3 Ecosports have so far been toppled by people going into a turn/curve too fast.
How does one decipher the handling characteristics of a car?

I'm not sure!

I believe, when a car's suspension is compliant, is when a car is known for its handling characteristics. Both the Duster and EcoSport have compliant suspensions. But. The EcoSport is a car that's a derivation of the Fiesta. And that car is a rally-circuit regular.

Sure, the EcoSport's handling is compromised, somewhat. Thanks to the raised stance. But it's like walloping a dead horse trying to explain that the roll-over accidents had little to do with the car and a lot to do with the ambitious drivers.

Now let's twist the first question a little.

Is a car that handles well, necessarily better than a car that rides well?

Not here in Bangalore that's for sure.

The EcoSport has a suspension primarily tuned for handling, but Ford has tweaked it and made it less stiff than the other cars in their showroom. I can vouch for it. But this does not mean the EcoSport is perfect. It still is a bit stiff, but way better than my Jazz I can tell you that.

The Duster is a neutral handler, so it's not bad at all. But where it beats the EcoSport is the ride quality over broken road. It really damps the cabin quite well and does not let the passengers be constantly aware of the road surface.

In the Duster, I wouldn't slow down to much on really bad roads. But in the EcoSport, I will have to slow down when the going gets rough, even though the ground clearance is good.

Based on ride / handling, both are good. You wouldn't go wrong with either of them. So long as you know it's limits, and yours.
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 02:44   #2567
BHPian

@ quadbike, dude I do not want to prolong this like a fan boy. I am happy with my purchase and a bit surprised at the car as I felt its worth more than 10 lacs that I spent on it. So would like to share my experiences with others who are looking to purchase or help them decide, that's all.

Here we go,

Today I went to the showroom to get that GLOW PLUG RECALL FIXED. Took an hour to do it. Spoke to the Customer service manager.

- Glow plug is currently underneath the front left headlamp. Yes, the headlamp was removed to access the GLOW PLUG and it was replaced on top left.

- It was not just shifting base. It is actually a replacement. This I found out by asking the mechanic working on my car, he showed me the new GLOW PLUG and the old one as well before the SA came running to me, to say " sir, customers are not allowed inside the workshop, so pls wait in the customer lounge".

- It was an hour's work.

- Only the first batch of vehicles had this recall as these were manufactured months back and the supplier has been changed from where the GLOW PLUGS are sourced.

- It is not going to affect any new customers, as they will come factory replaced. My car did go through 1450 kms without any hint of a problem.

- FORD SA said it is clearly a precautionary measure as the supplier has been changed and only quite a few vehicles has been delivered, thus an easy task to do it now rather later.

A few pics from the workshop:
1) Monsoon has started in chennai and it was this dirty when I went in for replacement.
2)My car without the front LHS headlamp, pardon the poor quality. SA came running towards me saying strictly no pics, so had to push the phone back into my pocket. But, the pic was already half way through.
3)The LHS headlight assembly kept in the rear bench of the car.
4) 4th & 5th pic shows the sheer number of ECOSPORTS that has come for service and GLOW PLUG replacement. I counted 11 cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130712_053615.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130712_145226.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130712_145326.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130712_150921.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130712_150939.jpg  

Last edited by revv_maniac : 13th July 2013 at 02:52. Reason: tags for the pics
revv_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 04:48   #2568
Senior - BHPian

REGARDING THE RECALL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
So what's a glow plug module and where is it located today? Any clues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
This is a better post to respond to. The GPCM (glow plug control module) fitment isn't a 'mistake' per se, because the component is still found in the same location on all EcoSports sold everywhere in the world.

To all the guys who are worried about the recall issue, it is a very minor preventive measure taken by ford.I appreciate their honesty as they could have done this secretly during the first service hence avoiding this negative publicity.

I got my glow plug module relocated today, it is about 2" by 3".In the previous position it is placed such that it will get wet and water may enter the module, and now after repositioning it will still get wet but water cannot enter the module.

The new location is higher up just between the left headlight and fender, all the necessary ties , nuts and bolts were sent as a kit from chennai factory.

Also the Regional service manger Mr.Shanker(Ford India) ,Mr.Madhu (business head, Mody Ford) and Mr.Srinivas (service manager, Mody Ford)were extremely courteous and saw to it that all went smoothly.They were very open and honest about the issue.

The recalled vehicles will be getting fuel costs and Rs.2000 worth accessories complementary from Ford.

Like I already shared in my previous posts about the fantastic vehicle delivery experience , l am again impressed and extremely satisfied with Mody Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskumar View Post
On the way to rajshree ford to pick up our new car ecosport diesel titanium.
accessories rear wheel cover and seat covers
Congrats mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
Can you find us the location? Which dealer? All along we had been told by dealers that the AT production has not yet started.
Mody Ford has delivered an automatic ecosport in hyderabad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I am interested about the seat belt warning system on the EcoSport(I am waiting for one, you see).

Is there an audio alarm, or is it just a Warning light on the Instrument cluster?
Its an audio alarm which escalates in tempo as time progresses.

In the first picture you can see the module closer to the floor, where as in the second one you can see the windsheild washer fluid containers lid!!!!!!!!!

Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20130713wa0005.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20130713wa0003.jpg  

Last edited by ecosport rules : 13th July 2013 at 05:09. Reason: to add text regarding the pictures
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 05:03   #2569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
REGARDING THE RECALL.

The recalled vehicles will be getting fuel costs and Rs.2000 worth accessories complementary from Ford.
What were the accessories given ?
I got nothing, even I had to raise my voice for a wash and go till the customer service manager to get it done.

Did you get right after the GLOW PLUG replacement done ?
Old 13th July 2013, 05:24   #2570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
What were the accessories given ?
I got nothing, even I had to raise my voice for a wash and go till the customer service manager to get it done.

Did you get right after the GLOW PLUG replacement done ?

Hey revv_maniac,

You can pick anything or can take a voucher for Rs.2000.
The car was inspected for all oils, leaks and later washed and cleaned .

I think you can go back and claim it tomorrow as it has to be same across India.
Unless some dealers are trying to pocket 2000 plus fuel costs disbursed by Ford india.

In fact my brother (titanium opt tdci )who lives 400km away also received a call from Mody Ford, Hyderabad saying they will pay fuel charges for his return journey plus 2000 accessories.kudos to Mody Ford.
Old 13th July 2013, 09:10   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
The best handler for its height ? May be, but the best handler in its segment (compact SUV) the duster wins hands down.

I agree that people may have different perspectives in mind when choosing a car, I was quite happy with my i20 even thought it was not a drivers car.

But to say that the Ecosport handles better than Dzire (both old and new) is blasphemy, do you know at-least 3 Ecosports have so far been toppled by people going into a turn/curve too fast.

Two happened in my state Kerala (one in Kochi & one in Perumbavoor).

Its a great car, just not the jack of all trades that many make it out to be. I would have gotten it over the Punto had it been available in 2012.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
I would agree to every word that you have said. I have always liked my steering to be on a taut side. I drive a getz which is five years old and is giving me nightmares now in terms of maintenance. I think expensive spare parts are to be blamed for that, but anyway I waited so long for ecosport and then I test drove it, i found the car to be nice overall but appealing to the mass market more. I would go to the point of saying it's not an enthusiasts car, just because of the steering. Classic ford stuff is gone. I loved the New fiesta and it's steering even though the petrol engine is nothing to write home about in that one. I was interested in ecoboost, loved the engine and the response but at the end of he day I felt I was driving an i20 on stilts. No offence guys. Please don't bash me up for this. I wanted to upgrade to a car that has a soul and puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it and ecosport isn't the one. So I finally decided on the linea. Although it will take me some time to save for emotion tjet.

People who call it a hatch on stilts does not know the meaning of stilts. Somebody made that comment earlier in the thread and ignorant folks are parroting it even without knowing what it means.

I should have stopped reading the post the moment I read that handling of old Dzire is better than ecosport.

Two genuine topples so far and they seem to be driver errors, and none of them were related to handling. One hit a pole, while the other hit a median. Rest are all rumors.
ecosport is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 09:32   #2572
BHPian

Quote:

People who call it a hatch on stilts does not know the meaning of stilts. Somebody made that comment earlier in the thread and ignorant folks are parroting it even without knowing what it means.
Well i think you came off a little rude, I would say kindly mind your words. I know its not a hatch on stilts, and I know what stilts mean. That is the reason I said I felt as if i was driving an i20, just in terms of steering, driving dynamics and handling etc is still classic ford. The steering does have some feedback but not as good as fiesta eps is what I meant.
Old 13th July 2013, 09:36   #2573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I should have stopped reading the post the moment I read that handling of old Dzire is better than ecosport.

Two genuine topples so far and they seem to be driver errors, and none of them were related to handling. One hit a pole, while the other hit a median. Rest are all rumors.
Completely agree with you. The ecosport has awesome high speed dynamics, no doubt about that, though the steering is a bit downer, but that's what 99 percent of people want.

I have taken 3 test drive of ecosport, so far. Two times diesel and one Ecoboost. All the times, I came out impressed with the handling of ecosport, and in all the drives I took it 3 digit speeds. And regarding toppling, well even a sedan like dzire can topple in hands of a moron driver. As simple as that.

We should blame the driver then blaming the car for toppling. Period.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 10:24   #2574
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
People who call it a hatch on stilts does not know the meaning of stilts. One hit a pole, while the other hit a median. Rest are all rumors.

Some years ago, even the Yeti was described as a Laura on Stilts.
In a sense it is true because the Yeti is raised higher than a Laura on account of its "Crossover" character.
Same with the EcoSport, which is almost the same as the new gen Fiesta, but raised higher, on account of its "Crossover" character.
I dont think there is anything derogatory in this description. It is just a way of saying that the vehicle is raised higher in keeping with its "Crossover" character.
Hence, the statement is not worth quibbling over.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 15:16   #2575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Some years ago, even the Yeti was described as a Laura on Stilts.
In a sense it is true because the Yeti is raised higher than a Laura on account of its "Crossover" character.
Same with the EcoSport, which is almost the same as the new gen Fiesta, but raised higher, on account of its "Crossover" character.
I dont think there is anything derogatory in this description. It is just a way of saying that the vehicle is raised higher in keeping with its "Crossover" character.
Hence, the statement is not worth quibbling over.
I don't want to prolong this debate, but, it is not just a raised Fiesta. The cabin is taller than Fiesta. If it was just a raised suspension, it would only raise the height by 44 mm and not 212 mm (That's the difference in heights between the two cars).

BTW, all the popular monocoque SUVs that we know are based on sedans or hatches. Duster is based on Logan, CR-V based on Civic, X1 based on 3 series, etc. That does not mean that they are all raised hatches.

Those who think that you can create an SUV by jacking up the suspension are, well as I said in a previous post, not wanting to be rude, ignorant.
ecosport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 15:36   #2576
Senior - BHPian

So does any one know if any after market accessories are available for the Ecosport yet? I checked with Poona Motors & Carax in Pune and both say it takes a month for accessories to roll out.

I didn't want to buy overpriced accessories from Ford dealers, even the seat covers. Does anyone know of any online retailers where i can order at least the seat covers?
Old 13th July 2013, 16:51   #2577
BHPian

Found time today and went ahead and cancelled my booking. The dealer charged 3K as cancellation charges. They have a cancellation form which I had to fill out. They asked me the reason for cancelling and I mentioned the waiting period of 9 months as the reason. I am sure 4-5 months down the line the car will be available off the shelf after the initial craze dies down.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 17:10   #2578
BHPian

Please read my detailed recall information along with pictures at the link below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-recall-5.html
Old 13th July 2013, 17:21   #2579
Senior - BHPian

I think EcoSport fans are being overly defensive about the toppling incidents. Given the hype surrounding the car, it is inevitable that any potential flaws would also be scrutinised thoroughly by the media and others. Nobody would be talking about the stability of EcoSport if two cars hadn't toppled even before customer deliveries began.

Driver error could've played a part in both incidents. However, shifting all blame to drivers doesn't seem alright. Do keep in mind that prospective customers TDing cars at high speeds is not uncommon or exclusive to EcoSport.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 17:49   #2580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Two happened in my state Kerala (one in Kochi & one in Perumbavoor).

Its a great car, just not the jack of all trades that many make it out to be. I would have gotten it over the Punto had it been available in 2012.
If just because ecosport has toppled (only one known so far with proof) its not a good handler , then same should apply to duster as well.The Duster too had toppled during launch which also happened to be a demo vehicle.
Duster provides much better ride, agree but its not as fun and involving as ecosport to drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks