Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 23:22   #4396
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Finally, had a chance to have a look at the Ecosport.
My colleague has bought a diesel Ambiente one. He had earlier booked for Titanium but downgraded after price hike.

One thing for sure - The Ambiente version should NOT be bought. It doesn't look good without those 16" alloys and misses out on normal creature comforts.

Now, I own a Honda Jazz and people here knows how spacious the car is. So, I was curious to know how spacious the Ecosport is compared to the Jazz.
The moment I stepped in the Ecosport and sat in the driver's seat, it felt cramped. I mean, the driver's seat width is so small...and then the dashboard juts out in the cabin making it feel cramped. I noticed a lot of space being wasted between the front seats which can explain the narrow seats.
The leg space at the back was reasoanable, may be a tad less than Jazz or similar. The rear seat was flat as a bench and the seat base small to give a sense of more legroom.
The boot was okayish. The depth is decent but lot of space is eaten up by the wheel wells.
The diesel engine is again an average one both in terms of performance and refinement. But, definitely par for the course.
Interiors are nowhere as good as I thought - I would rate the Jazz, Polo, I20 and Swift having much better and tastefully done interiors than Ecosport.

I sincerely feel the main reason people are queuing up for this car is LOOKS LOOKS and LOOKS. It has the butch SUV looks which Indians love along with good road presence.
The secondary reasons could be the increased Ground clearance.

No offence to Ecosport fans, and there are quite a few !
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 23:28   #4397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauncolaco View Post
Can someone let me know if a booking can be transferred? If yes, pls. advise on how to go about the process. The dealer is not being helpful on this one.
I'd think the easiest way will be to:
a) Identify a suitable recipient - best to be someone known who won't back out later
b) Take him/her along when asked to do the final payment, where s/he will pay the difference to the dealer, and 50k to you; and submit the registration/finance paperwork

The latter part of step b will be no different from a person who registers the car in his wife/parent's name.

The advantage of this approach is that the dealer isn't involved in the transfer, so they can't pull any stunt like saying you fall to the back of the wait list, treat it like a new booking, etc.
The disadvantage is that you're dependent on the recipient holding up their end of the bargain and actually paying the final amount/submitting the loan request; and its your 50k on the line until then.

The other option will be to get the person to pay you 50k, but then its hard for them to be assured they've got the booking, without the dealer's agreement.

You're in Bangalore, which dealer is your booking with? My experience (and what I've heard) is that Lathangi Ford are quite sensible and practical, unlike Metro Ford.
Old 28th September 2013, 00:45   #4398
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Now, I own a Honda Jazz and people here knows how spacious the car is. So, I was curious to know how spacious the Ecosport is compared to the Jazz.
The moment I stepped in the Ecosport and sat in the driver's seat, it felt cramped. I mean, the driver's seat width is so small...and then the dashboard juts out in the cabin making it feel cramped. I noticed a lot of space being wasted between the front seats which can explain the narrow seats.
The leg space at the back was reasoanable, may be a tad less than Jazz or similar. The rear seat was flat as a bench and the seat base small to give a sense of more legroom.
The boot was okayish. The depth is decent but lot of space is eaten up by the wheel well !
Hi Adimicra

I concur with your views on the cabin comparison b/w the EcoSport and Jazz. The cabin of the EcoSport does feel narrower and claustrophobic, and the difference is accentuated by the Jazz's enormous glass house.

But, I have to say, the rear leg room in the Jazz isn't as good as the EcoSport. With the front seats set to my driving position (I'm 6'2" but closer to the wheel) I can't sit in the back seat of the Honda without the front seat pressed against my knees. In the Ford, I can!

EDIT: I find the Jazz's boot to be larger and more usable too, even though the stats are the same(?) The wheel wells don't intrude quite as much as it does in the EcoSport, IMO.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th September 2013 at 01:07.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 01:05   #4399
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford EcoSport in the UK

The EcoSport is now visible on Ford UK's site. While this post might belong in the International Car Scene, I'm posting it here so we can compare what features are similar and different.

The features are quite similar to what we get in the Titanium (O) variant. However, the UK gets a choice of an optional Titanium X pack that gives:
  • Stylish 17" 5-spoke alloys
  • Automatic headlights
  • Auto dimming IRVM
  • Rain sensing wipers
  • Cruise control
  • Leather seats
  • Other features, refer brochure

Colour options are the same as India, but with the addition of a non-metallic yellow colour that was spotted on test mules around Chennai. For the powertrain, the UK gets the same 4 engine/gearbox options as India.

The optional 17" 5-spoke alloy:
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-ford-uk-ecosport-17-alloys.jpg

The non-metallic yellow colour they get:
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-ford-uk-ecosport-bright-yellow.jpg
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 04:19   #4400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
The EcoSport is now visible on
Don't they also get DRLs or LED as shown on the website ?
Old 28th September 2013, 06:53   #4401
BHPian

V V Important & Urgent-Check Brakes & ABS

Read the annual issue of Overdrive. They have reported a problem where one wheel got locked out in heavy braking. Fault was later traced out to an incorrect brake line connection during assembly.

So all Ecosport Owners - take the car & get this point checked with you service engineers & also do an emergency braking test on an empty road with sufficient space for skidding.

Mr. Singh is turning out to be a typical talkative MD with absolutely no grip on things. But my reading is that after Diwali demand may just collapse & then off the shelf deliveries may be feasible.
Old 28th September 2013, 07:58   #4402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Don't they also get DRLs or LED as shown on the website ?
Well spotted, they do indeed get LED-based DRLs.
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-ford-uk-ecosport-drls.jpg

I only wish that Ford India sells the DRL-enabled headlamps as official accessories (and maybe the 17" alloys too); else we'll have to depend on the rather variable quality of non-OEM options.
Old 28th September 2013, 08:38   #4403
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone knows if any dealer in Bangalore is accepting booking for the automatic variant and the waiting period for the same.
Old 28th September 2013, 09:56   #4404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Hi Adimicra

But, I have to say, the rear leg room in the Jazz isn't as good as the EcoSport. With the front seats set to my driving position (I'm 6'2" but closer to the wheel) I can't sit in the back seat of the Honda without the front seat pressed against my knees. In the Ford, I can!

EDIT: I find the Jazz's boot to be larger and more usable too, even though the stats are the same(?) The wheel wells don't intrude quite as much as it does in the EcoSport, IMO.
Suhaas, I found the rear leg space in Ecosport to be good and comparable to the Jazz. Regarding your observation, it may be due to the driving position or so..may be you don't need to push the front seat as much back in Ecosport compared to Jazz? Also, Jazz front seats are pretty thick and not scooped out for additional knee space which is done in some other cars nowadays to liberate more knee room.

Yes, the boot in Jazz is bigger (366 vs 341) better and more usable with a lower loading point.

Ecosport is a good effort from Ford ..It is a good alternative for B+ to C + segments who wants more GC. But for me, the USP is the butch looks and SUV tag which Indians are crazy for and that is the main reason for people flocking to the Ford showrooms. This is an interesting segment and I hope with other major players coming in, we are going to get better alternatives in the next 2-3 years. By the time I decide to upgrade, I might be spoilt for choices
Old 28th September 2013, 11:23   #4405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
1) Is there anything suspicious about getting a 40 days old vehicle, especially Ecosport ? I had written to Ford & Dealership before allocation of Vehicle. Can someone please guide me what to check carefully other than things listed in PDI checklist just to be more than 100% sure ? How to check Odometer connection?
This information would be useful to my friend too who has got a May VIN number vehicle allocated last week (Yet to arrive in yard).

Quote:
3) I'm planning to take insurance from outside. Can earlier owners confirm that Reliance has cashless transaction facility with Elite ford Bangalore ? Which would be the best for Elite Ford ?
Just FYI, (in case you have not made up your mind to take insurance from Reliance only), HDFC Ergo insurance rates seem to be the least. You can check the same in policybazaar. We were quoted INR 19,701 for zero dep, bumper to bumper insurance for a Titanium Ecoboost (Ex showroom price of INR 846578). The dealer is quoting ~35K for the same. HDFC has cashless with most Ford workshops including Lathangi and Elite.
Old 28th September 2013, 12:09   #4406
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Suhaas, I found the rear leg space in Ecosport to be good and comparable to the Jazz. Regarding your observation, it may be due to the driving position or so..may be you don't need to push the front seat as much back in Ecosport compared to Jazz? t 2-3 years. By the time I decide to upgrade, I might be spoilt for choices
My driving position is pretty consistent in all cars. I sit fairly closer to the wheel for my height. I make sure that my shoulders are back against the seat, arms stretched forward, elbows slightly relaxed and the bottom half of my wrists resting on top of the steering wheel. It's kind of upright, but I've gotten used to it and find it the best position for driving.

Quote:
Also, Jazz front seats are pretty thick and not scooped out for additional knee space which is done in some other cars nowadays to liberate more knee room.
You're absolutely right! The back of the front seat isn't really scooped unlike in the EcoSport and most modern cars. There is a slight depression but that's about it.

Also, another observation I've made is the position of the seat-base. I find the base of all seats (front and rear) to be angled flat and nearly parallel to the floor. This gives it a very 'chair' like feel and is okay for short city commutes but the lack of adequate under-thigh and lumbar support will leave you begging to jumping out of the car 4 hours into a highway drive and stretch those legs.

In comparison, the EcoSport's front seats offer good support while the rear bench is decent and dare I say it, better than the Jazz's. Even though the Jazz feels more airy and pleasant.

Quote:
Yes, the boot in Jazz is bigger (366 vs 341) better and more usable with a lower loading point.
I believe there are two different stats w/r/t the boot space of the EcoSport. One stat is with the rear seats reclined and the other is with the seats upright. Either way, access is not easy given the heavy door and the high loading lip as you'd mentioned.

Quote:
Ecosport is a good effort from Ford ..It is a good alternative for B+ to C + segments who wants more GC. But for me, the USP is the butch looks and SUV tag which Indians are crazy for and that is the main reason for people flocking to the Ford showrooms. This is an interesting segment and I hope with other major players coming in, we are going to get better alternatives in the next 2-3 years.
As I see it, the EcoSport is a better package than the Jazz because:

- You get 3 engine and 2 transmission options. Petrol and diesel motors feel more torquey and punchy than the Jazz. Gearing is better too.

- Added ground-clearance is a boon while the Jazz continues to tickle even moderately sized speed-breakers in the city.

- EcoSport handles and rides better than the Jazz. Jazz crashes into speed-breakers and pot-holes while the EcoSport's suspension feels more compliant on varied road surfaces.

- Similar cabin and boot space, tilting slightly in favour of the Jazz but honestly, negligible.

- Better seats all round.

- Loaded with equipment and features.

- Fresh in the market.

Apparently Honda is working on a compact crossover SUV based on the Jazz platform. I see no reason why they wouldn't bring it here. But it would take a while.

Honda, if you're listening, for God's sake, please do something about the way your cars ride and handle. It's honestly average and nothing to write home about. The whole point of a compact-crossover is lost if it doesn't ride well!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th September 2013 at 12:10.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 12:19   #4407
BHPian

I dont see any problem with a 40 day old vehicle. As i see it, you are getting a Aug'13 manufactured vehicle in Sep'13 (as was mine) which i feel is quite fine.
What SBI meant is you produce the receipt of margin money that YOU paid the dealer. Its a per-requisite for disbursement of loan amount by any bank. Also, Form 20 needs to be stamped by the bank for hypothecation purposes. You will get Form 20 online or from the dealer. Even the bank generally has them.
Quote:
I request fellow T-BHP members to kindly answer my queries :

1) Is there anything suspicious about getting a 40 days old vehicle, especially Ecosport ? I had written to Ford & Dealership before allocation of Vehicle. Can someone please guide me what to check carefully other than things listed in PDI checklist just to be more than 100% sure ? How to check Odometer connection?

4). I'm taking some loan from SBI, got a message that loan has been sanctioned. I am told that I need to carry "Form 20" & full Down payment receipt to SBI. Do I need to make full payment to dealership before SBI can allocate/disburse me the loan ?

Thanks in Advance
Old 28th September 2013, 16:08   #4408
BHPian

Another one rejects EcoSport and buys the Duster

My friend asked for my advise regarding a urban SUV and I straight away recommended the Ford EcoSport. They wanted to sell their Corolla and buy a diesel SUV. The Ford dealer gave them the usual waiting time in months. My friends father is of the opinion that if the customer is ready to pay the full amount, the vehicle should be handed over in max. week-10 days. Straightaway the EcoSport was rejected and the 85 BHP Duster was test driven and bought - it is expected to arrive today.

I had advsied them about the average interiors (since the other cars in their garage are a Corolla and a Mercedes C-class) and the heavy clutch beforehand (will be mostly driven by the driver, so O.K. for them) and recommended the 85 BHP variant since it was going to be used in the city only and the extra power & gear was not necessarily required, plus as per the reviews, the 85 BHP variant has a better in-city drivability.

Since the vehicle was going to be mostly chauffeur driven the extra rear seat space (and the armrest) was welcome and also the bigger boot in the Duster is of use to them for sometimes carrying construction equipment or their big dog.

Also they had a not so good experience with Ford for their 1.3 petrol Ikon in which some sensor was replaced twice at Rs 4000 a pop - though it was fun to drive and the stock music system was good.

On seeing the Duster on the highway, I was convinced about its presence, but the EcoSport is definitely a size smaller. Still the price difference is there, but it is the company & dealer's attitude and client servicibility that counts - though Renault also doesn't score highly on these parameters.
Old 28th September 2013, 17:00   #4409
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems to me that you have mostly listed reasons to buy a Duster. Reasons to buy a Duster is not the same as reasons why not to buy an Ecosport.

Of course someone who needs more space will go for the bigger car. The unique selling point of the Ecosport is that it is not a bigger car. Personally, the last thing I need (self-drive, family of 2, no animals, no long-distance driving) is the size of an SUV, and the last thing I want is the "presence" of an SUV. Not my style at all.

I do feel that people should be clear about this before they even look at the Ecosport.

That your friend is put off by the present state of Ford's marketing is another thing altogether. The cancelled bookings in this thread speak for that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 19:23   #4410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3) I'm planning to take insurance from outside. Can earlier owners confirm that Reliance has cashless transaction facility with Elite ford Bangalore ? Which would be the best for Elite Ford ?
You could get insurance from either Bajaj Allianz or Bharti Axa, both have cashless with Elite FOrd and I have used both and they are equally good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post

On seeing the Duster on the highway, I was convinced about its presence, but the EcoSport is definitely a size smaller. Still the price difference is there, but it is the company & dealer's attitude and client servicibility that counts - though Renault also doesn't score highly on these parameters.
I remember people complaining about Renault dealers, but i think now with the way Ford dealers have been acting, people just might find Renault guys with good attitude as they are not desparate to get cars off the shelf.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks