Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2013, 12:54   #5146
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
How are these fog lamps? Its under 800/-.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Ford-Eco-Spor...ht_1493wt_1163

I guess we will need a switch also inside for it. Any inputs please. I have EcosSport Trend.

Remember that the financial gain results in warranty loss of the electricals!
Old 29th October 2013, 12:57   #5147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
It is also entirely possible that the driver drove into the water a bit too fast, thereby making the water enter the intake. Point is - driving through water necessitates certain precautions, and a lot of judgement, failing to observe which can be catastrophic.
Agreed. And that is why I mentioned diesel engines are less forgiving than their petrol counterparts. I have read through all the necessary precautions while driving through water but I feel we are also dependent on the traffic you are moving with. What if the vehicle in front of you comes to a dead stop?
Also my question still stays, isn't moving the air intake up a little prevent some cases like these?
Old 29th October 2013, 13:14   #5148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo View Post
Agreed. And that is why I mentioned diesel engines are less forgiving than their petrol counterparts. I have read through all the necessary precautions while driving through water but I feel we are also dependent on the traffic you are moving with. What if the vehicle in front of you comes to a dead stop?
Also my question still stays, isn't moving the air intake up a little prevent some cases like these?
All these mods like moving air intake to a higher location, fitting a snorkel n all is done in purpose built off road vehicles. I feel it is better to use commonsense and precaution while water fording or going through rough road in a road only vehicle like Ecosport. And just for info it is not only the air intake that one has to take care of but the plethora of sensors also have to be taken care of if one wants a truly water proof vehicle.
So it is better to be careful n sensible than to get into a modification spree for something for which the vehicle was not designed for.
Old 29th October 2013, 13:22   #5149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
All these mods like moving air intake to a higher location, fitting a snorkel n all is done in purpose built off road vehicles. I feel it is better to use commonsense and precaution while water fording or going through rough road in a road only vehicle like Ecosport. And just for info it is not only the air intake that one has to take care of but the plethora of sensors also have to be taken care of if one wants a truly water proof vehicle.
So it is better to be careful n sensible than to get into a modification spree for something for which the vehicle was not designed for.
The vehicle is designed/capable of "careful" 500+mm of water wading as claimed by Ford. Now how do we know whether its actually true or not. User error is highly likely.
But as far as i remember, the UK manual of the Ecosport had a much lower figure of 300some mm in it. So has Ford done something for India? Is it really successful? Or are we all mistaken?
Old 29th October 2013, 13:48   #5150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post

The vehicle is designed/capable of "careful" 500+mm of water wading as claimed by Ford. Now how do we know whether its actually true or not. User error is highly likely.
But as far as i remember, the UK manual of the Ecosport had a much lower figure of 300some mm in it. So has Ford done something for India? Is it really successful? Or are we all mistaken?
You are right on this. In fact I have myself highlighted this point of lower water clearance in UK spec model in one of my previous post in this same thread. And the figure of UK model is 8 inch or 200 mm only at max speed of 10 kmph.
I didn't mean to not use the max limit of vehicle as per manufacturer claim, I just wanted to comment on the modification part.
Yes this point of claimed water clearance against the actual capability of the vehicle needs to be ascertained. Anyone with an ecosport (I am yet to take delivery :-( ) can measure the height of air intake from ground and confirm for everyone's benefit.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 14:28   #5151
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen, before we get mired in this 200, 300 and 500 mm debate, and then start criticizing this excellent little vehicle, for apparently less than adequate water wading capability, let's all bear in mind the water wading depths of some other SUV's, and especially ones with supposedly more abilities.
See Wading Depths.

Even if the Ecosport actually does 500 odd mm, I would never take it into that kind of depth, because this vehicle is not purpose built for that kind of stuff. There are just too many things that can go wrong, so why take the risk?
I'll typically be comfortable only up to the point that the water is still below the door sill. For everything else and anything more, I have the Gurkha.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 14:29   #5152
BHPian

Hello Guys

I have a ES Trend. I find the speakers of the car not up-to-the-mark. The music system has no graphic equalizer and Ford has left no chance for us to retrofit a new music system in the car. They have warranty clauses and above it do not have a slot for a Dual DIN music system.

I wonder which brand in the music system used by Ford for ES.

So just wanted to peck up the quality of sound using either:
1. Adding just a set of tweeters in the slot already provided in the car.
2. Adding a component speaker system
3. Or just change the speakers with some JBL ones which have a tweeter and mid range frequency speaker.

Need suggestions from all of you guys.
Old 29th October 2013, 14:33   #5153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Hello Guys

I have a ES Trend. I find the speakers of the car not up-to-the-mark. The music system has no graphic equalizer and Ford has left no chance for us to retrofit a new music system in the car.

1. SYNC DOES have an Equalizer, only that it is hidden in the depths of the menu. I don't think Sync differs between variants. Check it please.
2. Can you not try to get the Front Tweeters that Ford uses in Titanium variants? The stock ice in the Ecosport is quite nice actually.
The only thing I lament is the lack of a Remote Control for people on the back street.
Old 29th October 2013, 14:40   #5154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is also entirely possible that the driver drove into the water a bit too fast, thereby making the water enter the intake. Point is - driving through water necessitates certain precautions, and a lot of judgement, failing to observe which can be catastrophic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
You are right on this. In fact I have myself highlighted this point of lower water clearance in UK spec model in one of my previous post in this same thread. And the figure of UK model is 8 inch or 200 mm only at max speed of 10 kmph.
I didn't mean to not use the max limit of vehicle as per manufacturer claim, I just wanted to comment on the modification part.
Yes this point of claimed water clearance against the actual capability of the vehicle needs to be ascertained. Anyone with an ecosport (I am yet to take delivery :-( ) can measure the height of air intake from ground and confirm for everyone's benefit.
Hey guys,

Donot draw any hasty conclusions, it will take a perfect idiot for the water to enter ecosports engine as I have previously shared with the toppling incidents.

Dont worry, the ecosport has the water wading of 550mm at 5 to10kmph speed, I have seen it my self.

Please understand we are dealing with a car and not a submarine and we are talking about water wading and not water cruising or water racing so we have to factor the after water splash. (No offence to anybody)

I have already tested it with the car submerged in water after taking the measurement of the air intake from the floor.

Here are my detailed findings.

1.Air intake bottom level from ground is 860mm so a safe 310mm after you have hit the 550mm mark

2.Measure of 540mm for you to easily remember is bottom of fog lamps.You can safely submerge the car till here.make sure the lamps are off.

3.370mm is when the driver doors bottom touches the water (plastic cladding of running board already under water.

4.510.mm with the all door's plastic cladding submerged underwater.

5.310mm is the bottom most tip of silencer so if you want to submerge more than that be sure to give sufficient acceleration to prevent water entering silencer.

6.glow plug module is 830 mm from floor level (after relocation) originally was at 400mm as per international standards(U.k EUROPE)

7.half tyre submerge till ford logo bottom (290mm)and till top of logo(350mm).

The UK versions airintake must be at a lower level but surely the glow plug module is at 400mm.So they advertise it as 300mm water wading.

PS.please note that you have to factor the extra height of water splash and approach angle when you wade.I think that is the reason ford has given the extra 300mm after 550mm.

It is my guess that the people who faced the problem did not factor approach angle and water splash.

Hope this helps.
Happy motoring

Last edited by ecosport rules : 29th October 2013 at 15:03.
ecosport rules is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 14:50   #5155
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen, before we get mired in this 200, 300 and 500 mm debate, and then start criticizing this excellent little vehicle, for apparently less than adequate water wading capability, let's all bear in mind the water wading depths of some other SUV's

Even if the Ecosport actually does 500 odd mm, I would never take it into that kind of depth
I am just concerned with the manufacturer themselves claiming it as a selling point/feature. If it doesnt do it, dont claim it. My whole point starts & ends there. My most imp reason for trying to buy the Ecosport starts at 200mm ground clearance, includes an AT option under 10lakhs & ends at that 500mm+ figure Ford is claiming because I intend to use the vehicle where it "may" need to prove itself on these figures & I only drive an AT so I presently have no other similar options (unfortunately no 4x4). Rest everything is secondary - imp but not deciding factors.

Even I would not take any vehicle on anything except smooth tarmac purposely, but if the vehicle claims it has a certain capability & I am forced to face a situation (here crossing something like Killingsarai - not from the bridge), I want to know what the vehicle is capable of if I am very careful because I do intend to take it to Ladakh & do a circuit of some offbeat passes & places too there. This claim would affect my usage of the vehicle. I am not going to go mad & off-road with it certainly but I need to know what I can & cannot do with it & whether I can push it within its manufacturer claimed limits.
Fords claim makes me feel I can cross a lake (with smooth tarmac underneath) in an Ecosport I would be very happy if its true otherwise they should not do "false" marketing. 500+mm is a hell of a rocking feature, if its true!

Thanks for that link.

Thanks a lot ecosport_rules for all that info. Makes me very very happy (totally understand the concept of after splash issues, silencer issues in water etc). Saw your post after mine.

Last edited by anks_at : 29th October 2013 at 15:00.
anks_at is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 14:54   #5156
BHPian

I am not here to criticize ecosport. I wouldn't be owning one otherwise. It seems to be driver error most of time (be it judgement error or completely unaware of the rules of driving in water). I was just trying to reason if there's something that the manufacturer's can do to help the situation.
P.S - I take a U turn whenever I see water above 6 inches. Once bitten twice shy ( other vehicle, xylo, in the family is lying in the workshop for 2 months. Complete overhaul of engine, turbo charger and possibly ECU )
Old 29th October 2013, 15:23   #5157
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys

I have a ES Trend. I find the speakers of the car not up-to-the-mark. The music system has no graphic equalizer and Ford has left no chance for us to retrofit a new music system in the car. They have warranty clauses and above it do not have a slot for a Dual DIN music system.

3. Or just change the speakers with some JBL ones which have a tweeter and mid range frequency speaker.

Ask the dealer if they can add an 2 or 4 channel amplifier to the car from the stock system. Then you can choose your own speakers & connect them to the amp in the rear if you dont mind loosing some space in the boot.
Infact I had got it done in my City that I had. Got an amp installed officially. Rest of the wiring from the amp was done separately. I chose Pioneer component speakers (old now), boxed them, boxed a subwoofer. Attached a detachable connector to the speaker wires (forgot the connector name now) & finally got a system where the stock system was untouched & I could plug in/out the extra speakers & subwoofer if I really needed to carry a lot of luggage in the boot.

Infact, do Ford dealers install Amps officially (without voiding the warranty)?
anks_at is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 16:03   #5158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. SYNC DOES have an Equalizer, only that it is hidden in the depths of the menu. I don't think Sync differs between variants. Check it please.
2. Can you not try to get the Front Tweeters that Ford uses in Titanium variants? The stock ice in the Ecosport is quite nice actually.
The only thing I lament is the lack of a Remote Control for people on the back street.
Quote:
Hello Guys

1.Donot add components without fixing an amplifier as components alone with stock ICE sounds really pathetic , the bass gets totally flat , the stock has much better bass as they have paper cones(one of my friend has tried infinity)

2.You can fix tweeters, hertz fits perfectly into provided slots.
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 16:26   #5159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
1.Donot add components without fixing an amplifier as components alone with stock ICE sounds really pathetic , the bass gets totally flat , the stock has much better bass as they have paper cones(one of my friend has tried infinity)

Thanks mate. How is the sound quality if I just go for hertz tweeters ? Is the wiring already done or the guys will have to draw these wires from the source ?
Old 29th October 2013, 16:30   #5160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Have you got the hertz tweeters installed in your EcoSport? If yes, please can you guide how it is done? I mean, where they take the input from? Do we connect a cable from the ICE to tweeter slots? Does it void the electrical warranty?

How about the improved sound quality? Is it worth it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks