Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 09:27   #6961
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
I was planning to book the ecosport today but m not able to decide between the ecoboost and 1.5AT the only thing I want to confirm is that does 1.5 AT also has 6 airbags?
M asking it because I was told 6 airbags were available only on titanium+ variants but AT comes only in titanium variant.
Secondly is entertainment system on both the cars same?
Lastly what kind of difference in performance I can expect between the two as AT is not available for test drive.

Thanks in advance
yes it has 6 airbags. Difference between titanium At and regular titanium are air bags and tweeters. Ecoboost if titanium + will have 2 things extra from At.
1. leather seats
2. Push button start.
Entertainment is same on AT and titanium plus. all other titaniums wont have the tweeter.
AT having driven for 2600km can say is a great value for money vehicle. You simply cannot get this value in any other car. They actually sell it for a loss here in India , that's why they are not keen to sell it.
Power is a little sluggish on inclines but that's more of a feeling than actual as you cannot control the gearing. Once you learn how to drive an automatic you wont feel the difference. I personally see no point in buying 1.0 ecoboost over AT at all. You are not getting anything extra apart from leather seats which you can get for 5k.Unless you want a button to start the car Use that extra money to upgrade to megaaudio touchscreen dvd system(company fitted) 42k in your AT from ford dealer.That will complete your car as it has navigation sync and everything you can want.
Its a great car with good handling. The mileage in city has been 11kmpl. I m not sure what kind of mileage is given by ecoboost. Might be slightly higher but not really significant comparing the comfort of Autogear. The autogear is brilliant 6 gear DSG with a mouthwatering triptronic which you can use to increase your mileage if you are keen on a manual.Add to this the ebd and esp which can be lifesaver. As said before these are not available on ecoboost. This AT has a 4 star rating on euro standards with 6 airbags.
Good luck.
sunny1974 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 09:32   #6962
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
I have a EcoBoost and I have driven AT for sometime. I agree with roy_libran while AT is not bad, EcoBoost is better. Equipment wise both are same except AT doesn't have Start-Stop button but has EBD and ESP where as Ecoboost doesnt even have them as option. Both have 6 airbags.
Very confusing techfreak.

The titanium AT does not get start/stop but gets 6 airbags with ESP.

The Ecoboost is available in 2 trims titanium and titanium (O). The titanium (O) gets start/stop with 6 airbags additional over the titanium.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 09:38   #6963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The Ecoboost is available in 2 trims titanium and titanium (O). The titanium (O) gets start/stop with 6 airbags additional over the titanium.
You are bang on.
Ecoboost comes only in Titanium and Titanium Option pack trim.
Option pack gets 6 airbags, leatherite seat covers and start stop button.

AT comes only in the top end i.e Option pack trim but without Start Stop button and with ESP and Hill hold assist which are not there in any other trim of EcoSport.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 17:16   #6964
Senior - BHPian

Guys anyone here facing issues with rattling rear door?
Whenever i go on a dusty road, there is lot of rattle from rear door.
The ford SA says this seems to be a known issue with Ecosport usually running offroad,rural areas. The sound vanishes on a nice wash and proper lubrication.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 22:07   #6965
BHPian

Quote:
I was planning to book the ecosport today but m not able to decide between the ecoboost and 1.5AT the only thing I want to confirm is that does 1.5 AT also has 6 airbags?
M asking it because I was told 6 airbags were available only on titanium+ variants but AT comes only in titanium variant.
Lastly what kind of difference in performance I can expect between the two as AT is not available for test drive.

Thanks in advance
Apart from the things other BHPians mentioned, AT also gets a pair of tweeters i believe. You can check ownership reviews like this one:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-review.html

Btw can you please tell me the waiting period of AT and Ecoboost at your place? They didn't want to discuss about them when i went to book mine
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 02:33   #6966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
yes it has 6 airbags. Difference between titanium At and regular titanium are air bags and tweeters. Ecoboost if titanium + will have 2 things extra from At.
1. leather seats
2. Push button start.

Its a great car with good handling. The mileage in city has been 11kmpl. I m not sure what kind of mileage is given by ecoboost. Might be slightly higher but not really significant comparing the comfort of Autogear. The autogear is brilliant 6 gear DSG with a mouthwatering triptronic which you can use to increase your mileage if you are keen on a manual.Add to this the ebd and esp which can be lifesaver. As said before these are not available on ecoboost. This AT has a 4 star rating on euro standards with 6 airbags.
Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Quote:
You are bang on.
Ecoboost comes only in Titanium and Titanium Option pack trim.
Option pack gets 6 airbags, leatherite seat covers and start stop button.

AT comes only in the top end i.e Option pack trim but without Start Stop button and with ESP and Hill hold assist which are not there in any other trim of EcoSport.
Thanks to all of you for the info. after extensively test driving the the TDCi , ecoboost and fiesta 1.5 AT i decided to go ahead with ecosport 1.5 titanium and booked it.
the reasons were that i felt the clutch of diesel was heavy and the ecoboost felt unrifined even compared to the diesel.
Though ecosport automatic was not available but I test drove fiesta automatic and loved it , as it has the same engine , transmission and chassis so the performance and refinement levels should be similar , then presence of ESP, TCS and Better speakers ( 4+2 setup from fiesta) sealed the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The ford SA says this seems to be a known issue with Ecosport usually running offroad,rural areas. The sound vanishes on a nice wash and proper lubrication.
Its nothing to worry about my cousin in punjab had similar issue and he also arrived at the same solution as yours. you can also try
1. Regular tightening of the rear mounted spear wheel.
2. Rubber cap for rear door lock's hook.
3. changing of the rear door rubber seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Apart from the things other BHPians mentioned, AT also gets a pair of tweeters i believe. You can check ownership reviews like this one:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-review.html

Btw can you please tell me the waiting period of AT and Ecoboost at your place? They didn't want to discuss about them when i went to book mine
The harpreet ford showroom in moti nagar delhi quoted 8 months where as their showroom in prashant vihar promised 4 months.

Last edited by fuelinmyveins : 22nd April 2014 at 02:36.
Old 22nd April 2014, 07:00   #6967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
aware if any such tuning boxes or remap is available for the 1.5 Petrol? Am desperate to bring more life onto my petrol engine. Thanks.
Remap is with Petes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
^ The entertainment system is the same..
Quote:
. Equipment wise both are same except AT doesn't have Start-Stop button but has EBD and ESP.
Quote:
Thanks in advance
AT comes with two additional tweeters which none other variants have
AT doesnt have leather seats too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Hi EcoSport owners,

Contemplating to change to EcoSport diesel from my present car-Verna Fludic 1.6 CRDI. Reason- higher GC, easy ingress/egress, Verna's poor ride quality etc. Need your inputs.

1. Can the engine cover be retrofitted ? Is lack of this causing any problems including more engine noise creeping into the cabin?

2. Any rattling issues ?

3. FE on tank full method with AC in cities & highways ( @ what speed? ).

4. Which variant is most VFM- Titanium (o) or Titanium.

Thanks

I am just answering ecosport specific questions as both vehiches belong to a different category and should not be compared in my opinion.

For example can we compare the interior quality, premiumness and performance of a mahindra thar to a brio or i10 grand just because they are available at the same price?.

It depends on what you are looking at and what suits you.

My opinion is that for self driven use, ecosport is better (why would you want the driver to have fun),
Verna is better for being driven for obvious reasons.

Vidyut and others have already given you their esteemed views.

Now lets answers some of your questions

1) Engine cover can be retrofitted, and makes marginal difference noise wise.(I just like it with the cover for easier maintainance)
. Here are some pictures.
2) No new rattles till date (15000kms)
3) FE.city 15kmpl, highway 20kmpl at 2000 Rpm or 90kmph
4)Titanium optional is more VFM (keyless entry, 6 airbags, black and dark grey interiors,pure leather seats) for marginal price difference.

You can go through my intial ownership report for more information.

Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20140114wa0064.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20140422wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by ecosport rules : 22nd April 2014 at 07:23.
ecosport rules is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 07:41   #6968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
leather seats which you can get for 5k.
megaaudio touchscreen dvd system(company fitted) 42k from ford dealer.That will complete your car as it has navigation sync and everything you can want.
Pure leather seats start from 30000 onwards.
  1. Does megaudio system work with sync and show the relevant MID display? .
  2. What about emergency assist.?
  3. Which maps does it use and contact details please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Please check the rattle without the spare wheel cover if you have one and then recheck by removing the spare wheel too.
If it still persists lubricate only the hinge and lock latch.

Once you localize the culprit we can arrive at a solution.

Last edited by ecosport rules : 22nd April 2014 at 07:52.
Old 22nd April 2014, 18:21   #6969
BHPian

Took a TD of the Titanium (O) Diesel 3 days back. Need a diesel car as my SX4 Zxi is proving expensive for my running of 1500km a month.
My observations :
1) Car is very well designed and well built. Full marks for build quality. Looks much bigger from outside than it actually is. Of course once you sit inside, you know the real size.
2) Seat was comfortable. Back seat was okay with 3 passengers though not as deep or wide as the SX4
3) Steering is light but not a problem for me. Was happy with the feel.
4) Ride quality was good. The TD was short and in traffic, but also drove on somewhat empty road behind InOrbit mall.
5) Clutch is harder than the SX4, also harder than the Honda City Diesel, but lighter than Duster diesel I feel.
6) Acceleration is linear, did not feel lag but it was not so great compared to SX4 petrol. I think may be better than Honda City.
7) Brake was very good, no problems there.
8) Engine was super silent, unbelievable that it was a diesel. Honda City was quite a bit noisier than that I think.
9) The boot is disappointingly small and though I loved the car, this was the deal breaker. Wish the boot had been bigger. Of course the price would have been lot more.

All in all a excellent car, but if you need the boot, then a big no-no.
jesrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 21:24   #6970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Pure leather seats start from 30000 onwards.
  1. Does megaudio system work with sync and show the relevant MID display? .
  2. What about emergency assist.?
  3. Which maps does it use and contact details please?

Please check the rattle without the spare wheel cover if you have one and then recheck by removing the spare wheel too.
If it still persists lubricate only the hinge and lock latch.

Once you localize the culprit we can arrive at a solution.
yes megaaudio works with sync totally as it is windows based. It will show door open and all error codes. Map my india is included in the maps as ford has contract with them. contact details of delhi ford? not handy with me but you can find from website or vasant kunj workshop. will try to search and post. Megaaudio people I called up hoping to get a better price but they say they have exclusive contract with ford and you cannot find it outside. Basically its probably a Chinese system which is connected to the canbus and map my india is put in through a micro sd card with license.
But it works good I guess. have taken pictures. will post.
Emergency assist good question I do not know but im reasonably sure it will work as its based on Bluetooth. I doubt the workshop guy would know that but that has to be tried there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Took a TD of the Titanium (O) Diesel 3 days back. Need a diesel car as my SX4 Zxi is proving expensive for my running of 1500km a month.
My observations :
1) Car is very well designed and well built. Full marks for build quality. Looks much bigger from outside than it actually is. Of course once you sit inside, you know the real size.
2) Seat was comfortable. Back seat was okay with 3 passengers though not as deep or wide as the SX4
3) Steering is light but not a problem for me. Was happy with the feel.
4) Ride quality was good. The TD was short and in traffic, but also drove on somewhat empty road behind InOrbit mall.
5) Clutch is harder than the SX4, also harder than the Honda City Diesel, but lighter than Duster diesel I feel.
6) Acceleration is linear, did not feel lag but it was not so great compared to SX4 petrol. I think may be better than Honda City.
7) Brake was very good, no problems there.
8) Engine was super silent, unbelievable that it was a diesel. Honda City was quite a bit noisier than that I think.
9) The boot is disappointingly small and though I loved the car, this was the deal breaker. Wish the boot had been bigger. Of course the price would have been lot more.

All in all a excellent car, but if you need the boot, then a big no-no.
The boot is not small at all. beg to differ. You can probably store much more in its boot than in most sedans as the boot is vertical. The rear seats can also be shifted forward to increase the boot space. And if you don't have a 5th passenger the seat can be tilted forward to accommodate so many things.Having used this design in my X1 and ecosport both I am very comfortable and convinced that we can take much more in its boot than in a sedan. Have travelled outstation with kids and luggage to vouch for this.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd April 2014 at 18:46. Reason: Posts merged.
sunny1974 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 03:01   #6971
BHPian

I saw a ecosport toppled today on the highway where average speeds are around 80km/hr so probably not going real fast, no accident or anything around. Just the car toppled. When it returned back to its normal posture the rear Windows were not visible and the front Window gap barely by like 3-4 inches. Seeing this I was wondering that are such cars road worthy that on toppling it gets crushed like paper. I have seen many toppled cars but none as bad as this one. Recently a friend's micra toppled for 4-5 flips and they came out with just scratches and the ecosport passengers probably died. Do they use the same material abroad cuz I don't think it would even pass the crash test
Old 23rd April 2014, 03:17   #6972
BHPian

Should one go ahead with Ford Ecosport 1.5 AT or wait for 1.0 ecoboost AT?

Hey guys just booked ford ecosport AT for my parents with the delivery time of 4 months but just read the news that ford had paired the 1.0 ecoboost engine with powershift DCT tranmission in december last year.

As we all know that 1.5 AT is just adequate in terms of performance and is certainly not the last word in fuel efficiency so what should be done in this case?

1. Hold on to the booking and go ahead with 1.5 AT
OR
2. Cancel the booking and wait for 1.0 ecoboost paired with powershift DCT to be launched in India.

Would be really heart wrenching to have a car with outdated engine just few months into the ownership.

Please help.
Old 23rd April 2014, 06:51   #6973
BANNED

Quote:
As we all know that 1.5 AT is just adequate in terms of performance and is certainly not the last word in fuel efficiency so what should be done in this case?
"Just Adequate" is an understatement for the 1.5L TDCi engine that is on the EcoSport. A totally lovable engine with nice performance and mileage figures.

I have driven a BHPians EcoSport 1.5 D for a short while and loved the way it drove and behaved. It is peppy engine that does justice to both - FE run and spirited driving.

Quote:
1. Hold on to the booking and go ahead with 1.5 AT
OR
2. Cancel the booking and wait for 1.0 ecoboost paired with powershift DCT to be launched in India.
My opinion is stick to Option 1.

Anurag.
Old 23rd April 2014, 07:02   #6974
Distinguished - BHPian

Although Ford has paired the ecoboost and dct some time back, I don't think they have any plans yet to launch it in India. There was a rumor that goes would launch the fiesta with the ecoboost + dct but even that is not happening. The ecoboost + dct would be a killer combo, but I don't see the point waiting since there is no info on whether it will launch here. Any reason why you are keen on the ecoboost AT? Considering it is primarily for your parents, the 1.5 AT should be good enough. While the performance may not be comparable to a turbo petrol, it is definitely a competent engine.
Old 23rd April 2014, 07:42   #6975
Team-BHP Support

Re: Should one go ahead with Ford Ecosport 1.5 AT or wait for 1.0 ecoboost AT?

I do not think it will come here, the high costs of type approval for a low production volume means they would prefer to focus on existing models for now

Most Viewed