Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 18:27   #7441
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Thank swiftnfurious, sridhar-v,ecobeast..
Diesel is defnitely ruled out...and so is AT, somehow I still prefer the stick shift..
Looking at many posts, I am veering towards - EcoBoost and Titanium or Titanium (O) at that.
In couple of posts - there was a reference to Downshifting a lot for In-City driving for EcoBoost, just curious - is it with the Car or Driving style..road conditions.,
By the way, I am a Sedate driver..and even on highways, I restrict myself to 100/110 max, even though my current car is pretty capable of much more.
I drive Getz GLS - 1.3 P, very solid car, but NOT Peppy and with a heavy steering in city driving,
I feel, I should go for something which is more quicker than Getz, and definitely with a lighter steering,,
Old 19th June 2014, 18:48   #7442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemant_Joshi View Post
I feel, I should go for something which is more quicker than Getz, and definitely with a lighter steering,,
Then definitely not the 1.5P. It is slow from standstill.

But, if your drives are short, I'd not advise the 1.0 turbo engine either.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 20:51   #7443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Same story here. Anybody here who could successfully download the update, please can you share the file with the rest of us?
I updated the software and it worked perfectly fine without any glitches. BUt right now I don't have the file with me as I formatted that USB drive.
Old 19th June 2014, 23:21   #7444
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,
Need some advice,,
I am in market for a Petrol EcoSport,
My running is about 200/250 KM per Month, and maybe 2/3 long distance - 500 to 700 kms, drives a year,,

Diesel is ruled out - does not make sense for the kind of running Distances..

My question is, which EcoSport to go for - The 1.5 petrol Titanium, or the 1.0 Ecoboost Titanium,,
I'm in exactly the same boat as you are.

Diesel is definitely ruled out. It makes no economic sense given the meager monthly usage and I was torn between 1.5P and Ecoboost. Also, I prefer manual over AT.

The problem gets compounded because almost all petrol TD cars are Ecoboost and one cannot really analyze whether the extra 1 lakh premium for this engine is really worth it. On top of it, there are no good in-depth reviews of 1.5 P manual EcoSport. Lastly, most of the BHPians here either own Diesel, Ecoboost or 1.5 AT.

Thankfully, a colleague of mine owns 1.5 Manual and I drove it a bit last month. It is definitely not under-powered. The pick-up was good, gear-shifts were ridiculously smooth and the engine is not noisy. It ticked all the marks, especially for city traffic conditions.

That said, one cannot expect a full-fledged SUV-like driving experience from the 1.5 Petrol EcoSport. Definitely, the Ecoboost is more refined and the difference was noticeable during my TD. The Ecoboost also claims to be about 10-15% more fuel efficient than it 1.5 TIVCT. But given the fact that my daily commute is around 11kms in city traffic, it made no sense to pay 1 lakh premium for these additional benefits. Neither I'll be driving much on empty highways to enjoy the turbo-charged Ecoboost, nor will I be saving much due to higher fuel efficiency.

So, in my case, the 1.5 Petrol was the more economical, practical and logical choice. And therefore, I booked 1.5 Petrol Titanium last month.

However, I'm no car expert (and besides, I drove my colleague's car for only 30mins) and would still like to read a detailed review of the 1.5 P manual EcoSport.

Last edited by dsunn : 19th June 2014 at 23:24.
dsunn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 09:14   #7445
BHPian

Quote:
Thank swiftnfurious, sridhar-v,ecobeast..
Diesel is defnitely ruled out...and so is AT, somehow I still prefer the stick shift..
Looking at many posts, I am veering towards - EcoBoost and Titanium or Titanium (O) at that.
In couple of posts - there was a reference to Downshifting a lot for In-City driving for EcoBoost, just curious - is it with the Car or Driving style..road conditions.,
By the way, I am a Sedate driver..and even on highways, I restrict myself to 100/110 max, even though my current car is pretty capable of much more.
I drive Getz GLS - 1.3 P, very solid car, but NOT Peppy and with a heavy steering in city driving,
Hey Hemant,
My previous car was a Getz 1.3L P too and I am the proud owner of a Ecosport 1.5 AT. I preferred the AT as I drive in Mumbai which involves a lot of bumper to bumper drives. But believe me, this DCT AT is a thrill even on open roads/ highways/ hill drives. The driving pleasure of a manual without the hassle of manual labour. And if you still want to control the gear, tiptronic is available.

The pricing is also VFM. It costs around 80-90K above the 1.5 manual Titanium. Besides the AT, you also get 6 airbags, Traction Control, Hill Hold Assist, Electronic Stability Control, and tweeters.

I am sure test drive AT vehicles will also be available soon. I had driven the Fiesta AT and made my booking decision based on that experience.
risga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 10:50   #7446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Hey Hemant,
My previous car was a Getz 1.3L P too and I am the proud owner of a Ecosport 1.5 AT. I preferred the AT as I drive in Mumbai which involves a lot of bumper to bumper drives. But believe me, this DCT AT is a thrill even on open roads/ highways/ hill drives. The driving pleasure of a manual without the hassle of manual labour. And if you still want to control the gear, tiptronic is available.

The pricing is also VFM. It costs around 80-90K above the 1.5 manual Titanium. Besides the AT, you also get 6 airbags, Traction Control, Hill Hold Assist, Electronic Stability Control, and tweeters.

I am sure test drive AT vehicles will also be available soon. I had driven the Fiesta AT and made my booking decision based on that experience.
Thankyou,
I would check - what models are available for Test drive.
I am defnitely not an expert in car's - i am just an average user, So, am a bit skeptical, to be able to better to judge a car, based on just a test drive,, thats why, Team-BHP feedback/advice is extremely valuable to me,,

I will check on AT - If available, never driven an Auto before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsunn View Post
So, in my case, the 1.5 Petrol was the more economical, practical and logical choice. And therefore, I booked 1.5 Petrol Titanium last month.

However, I'm no car expert (and besides, I drove my colleague's car for only 30mins) and would still like to read a detailed review of the 1.5 P manual EcoSport.
Ya, I also am waiting eagerly for more reviews of Petrol 1.5 MT, there are couple of Ecoboost reviews - and appears like, the owners are really happy with the Car..
I also am waiting for real world fuel efficiency figures for ecoboost and 1.5 MT.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by noopster : 20th June 2014 at 15:53. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 20th June 2014, 12:17   #7447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsunn View Post
I'm in exactly the same boat as you are.

Diesel is definitely ruled out. It makes no economic sense given the meager monthly usage and I was torn between 1.5P and Ecoboost. Also, I prefer manual over AT.

The problem gets compounded because almost all petrol TD cars are Ecoboost and one cannot really analyze whether the extra 1 lakh premium for this engine is really worth it. On top of it, there are no good in-depth reviews of 1.5 P manual EcoSport. Lastly, most of the BHPians here either own Diesel, Ecoboost or 1.5 AT.

Thankfully, a colleague of mine owns 1.5 Manual and I drove it a bit last month. It is definitely not under-powered. The pick-up was good, gear-shifts were ridiculously smooth and the engine is not noisy. It ticked all the marks, especially for city traffic conditions.

That said, one cannot expect a full-fledged SUV-like driving experience from the 1.5 Petrol EcoSport. Definitely, the Ecoboost is more refined and the difference was noticeable during my TD. The Ecoboost also claims to be about 10-15% more fuel efficient than it 1.5 TIVCT. But given the fact that my daily commute is around 11kms in city traffic, it made no sense to pay 1 lakh premium for these additional benefits. Neither I'll be driving much on empty highways to enjoy the turbo-charged Ecoboost, nor will I be saving much due to higher fuel efficiency.

Since we own a 1.6L petrol Fusion I can weigh in with some comments:-

The 1.5L seems to be resized (cc lowered by 100cc) but the power & torque specs are much better on paper. The 1.6 Duratec is a real gem to drive. Super smooth and good spread of torque. The ECu has a mind of its own at times so sometimes it tends to drop out of the torque band. But nothing a downshift cannot solve. On highways, with 2 up & full dickey load of luggage, it is a comfortable cruiser. I nowadays prefer, for highway runs, the Fusion to our Santro AT inspite of having knee & shoulder problems. Once I stick it to 5th. gear I need to downshift only if speed drops below 45 or so. Otherwise engine pulls & pulls straight to 110-120. Never went beyond that. With 4 people + full luggage one does need to drop a gear or two once in a while. And single person on board - I have done Ghat sprints that had my files flying all over the whole car.!!

So the 1.5 should be ok. However as you are principally driving in the city I would seriously recommend the AT. The sheer ease and convenience will increase as the traffic gets more chaotic.
Old 20th June 2014, 13:49   #7448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Does anyone know what the procedure is for purchasing a vehicle from one state (say Tamil Nadu) and doing the permanent registration in another state (say Kerala)?
None of the dealers in Kerala are taking bookings for the EcoSport AT, but I may have a chance in Chennai.
However, I do not have a residential address in TN. Can I show a friend's address for Temporary Registration in TN and then do the Permanent Registration in Kerala using my own address?
Or is there another procedure involved?
Please advise.
Also what issues would I face in getting finance from Kerala for buying from TN?
I'm not sure about the tax implications et.al for this. But I had a conversation with a dealer in a second tier city in TN, and he said that petrol (AT or MT) is being sold only in metros (or major cities only), and also that the service stations in second tier cities don't have the capability to service the petrol vehicles..

so even if you get around the registration thing, you better check with your local service station about their servicing capabilities.
Old 20th June 2014, 16:13   #7449
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathan View Post
I'm not sure about the tax implications et.al for this. But I had a conversation with a dealer in a second tier city in TN, and he said that petrol (AT or MT) is being sold only in metros (or major cities only), and also that the service stations in second tier cities don't have the capability to service the petrol vehicles..

so even if you get around the registration thing, you better check with your local service station about their servicing capabilities.

This is rubbish. How will are other cars that are being filled in petrol being serviced?!

Ask that guy in the dealership to take a break.

Anurag.
Old 21st June 2014, 06:38   #7450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathan View Post
But I had a conversation with a dealer in a second tier city in TN, and he said that petrol (AT or MT) is being sold only in metros (or major cities only), and also that the service stations in second tier cities don't have the capability to service the petrol vehicles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

This is rubbish. How will are other cars that are being filled in petrol being serviced?!

Ask that guy in the dealership to take a break.

Anurag.
Precisely. I don't buy that line at all. Surely there are petrol Fiestas and Figos in these smaller towns that have been serviced all these years without a problem. I think this dealership chap is saying it to discourage AT buyers.
Old 21st June 2014, 06:47   #7451
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post

Precisely. I don't buy that line at all. Surely there are petrol Fiestas and Figos in these smaller towns that have been serviced all these years without a problem. I think this dealership chap is saying it to discourage AT buyers.
Exactly. I guess the dealership and the SA is getting commission to sell more diesel cars than petrol ones.

What a vague excuse to dissuade a customer. Leaves a bitter experience overall.

Anurag.
Old 21st June 2014, 23:22   #7452
BHPian

I test drove the EcoSport - 1.0 EcoBoost, and 1.5 Diesel,, today - Talera Ford.
I was pretty impressed by Ecoboost - felt right at home - good pickup, easy maneuverability. simply loved the lighter steering - My Getz has a heavy one...

It was a bit stiff with Diesel - was not easy with the Clutch, acceleration..maybe because, I am not used to driving the Diesel's.. cant pinpoint what exactly,,
maybe - I require some more time with it, but, could not get more time - the SA started insisting, we finish the test drive - in just a few kilometers,,

Am NOT sure about the AT as well, never driven, and could not test drive today as well..

Overall - very impressed by 1.0 ecoboost.
Thinking I will go for another test drive - Diesel - My current running does not justify a diesel, and had made up my mind to go for Petrol, But, am now in dual mind - to go for Diesel. The initial 1 lakh or bit more investment is not much of a concern, but, am thinking - if its justified,, trying to asses if my average running, increases over net few years...
My Wife is insisting on going for a Diesel.
Am told, waiting will be about 6/7 months for EcoBoost, however the Diesel will be delivered in 45 to 60 days and I am in a hurry to get my new car...

More confused now, then, I was few days back...
Old 22nd June 2014, 12:51   #7453
BHPian

I noticed that the pilot lamps(headlamp) light up when the brakes are pressed, is this a feature or bug?
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:07   #7454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
I noticed that the pilot lamps(headlamp) light up when the brakes are pressed, is this a feature or bug?
Is it under hard braking or during normal situation also? Nothing like that in my car. I think this is a bug rather than a feature. Or did they connect the pilot lamps to the brake light connection as well . Some of the cars do have this feature when hard braking is engaged (indicators turn on or the brake lights flash)

Last edited by naveen.raju : 23rd June 2014 at 10:09.
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:35   #7455
BHPian

Normal braking; This is the 10th month of my ownership and somehow I didn't notice it till yesterday. I would rather blame it on my poor observation skills than claiming my car has developed a new bug/feature. I replaced the stock bulbs with HIDs and LEDs in month one itself and if this had to be an offshoot it would have come to "light" sooner. Anyway will get it checked

Most Viewed