Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2014, 20:14   #7921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
^^ I haven't taken the Ecosport AT yet to Ladakh. Next year perhaps...
However, I have taken it to significantly steep roads in Uttarakhand, with four aboard, and driving in manual mode it was able to easily tackle the steepest of inclines and broken climbs. I didn't feel the traction control kicking in though.
Ladakh is a bit different due to the lack of oxygen at high passes. In such cases the hill accent mode will be thoroughly tested out. Given a chance I would choose the manual. Just my 2 cents.
Old 30th August 2014, 01:07   #7922
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Finally, after 4 months of waiting, I took delivery of my EcoSport yesterday which was also the first day of Ganesh Chaturthi and hence a very auspicious day.

Firstly, thanks to all fellow BHPians for the valuable tips and suggestions, especially regarding reverse camera, insurance and how to deal with the dealer.

The on-road price for the 1.5 Petrol Titanium MT was about Rs. 9.5 lakhs, which includes the following accessories / services taken from the dealer:

1. Essential Kit (Mud flap, foot mat, etc.) for Rs. 4.5k
2. 3M Bodycare package for Rs. 7.5k
3. Accessories combo (Engine guard, Spare wheel cover and Illuminated front scuff plates) for Rs. 22k

Some notes:

1. Bodycare package:
I inquired from local 3M care shop for Anti-corrosion treatment and Paint Protection (1+2) and there wasn't much difference between its quote and that from the dealer (which was also from 3M). So, I opted for the 3M bodycare package through dealer for the sake of convenience. The underbody corrosion treatment comes with 2 years warranty + 4 free inspections. The Paint Protection treatment comes with two additional application coupons which I can avail anytime.

2. Spare wheel cover:
The cover is ridiculously over-priced, but it greatly enhances the looks of the car. The quality of scuff plates and engine guard are also really good. But Ford charges A LOT for its accessories.

3. Tyres:
Oh no! I got MRF stock tyres
What to do? Given my less than 400km monthly usage and mostly city driving, is it really worth to replace them with Goodyear?

4. Reverse camera:
The dealer was adamant that I purchase a 3t brand reverse parking camera which was exorbitantly priced at Rs 18k. I argued with them for 20mins regarding the pros and cons of the device. What convinced me against it was the fact that it didn't have auto-dimming and was of no use during night time. I finally won the argument and saved 18k.

5. Insurance:
My dealer offers insurance from IFFCO-TOKIO for Rs 30k. However, I bought insurance online from HDFC Ergo for Rs. 20k. Same features - 0 dep, RSA, cashless, etc.
Obviously, the dealer tried hard to convince me to purchase the insurance from IFFCO, but I stood my ground.

6. Initial observations regarding 1.5P vs Ecoboost:

The 1.5P is definitely not under-powered. My basement's ramp is pretty steep and the 1.5P climbed the ramp in 2nd gear easily... no problem at all.

It's pretty early for me to start commenting on engine performance, but from the 40 odd kms I've driven so far, I still don't see the point of paying a premium for Ecoboost over the 1.5P. The only advantage I can see is slightly better fuel efficiency and better driving experience on highways. But, in city driving conditions, 1.5P is definitely a better option as I felt that Ecoboost is a bit sluggish in lower gears. Since my friend has Ecoboost, I'll be doing a semi-detailed comparison between 1.5P and Ecoboost soon. Hopefully, it will help others make a more informed decision while purchasing a Petrol EcoSport.

Btw, it seems that overwhelming majority of EcoSports run on diesel... I filled Petrol twice today from two different stations and both the times the assistant initially gestured me to go towards Diesel dispensers and I had to yell out that mine runs on Petrol... and both the times, the assistant seemed amused, as if he had seen a UFO.

7. Aftermarket accessories:
Please tell me a good place from where I could get the following accessories in Delhi NCR.

a) Bull guard / grill guard
b) Rain deflector
c) Car door edge guard

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st August 2014 at 20:58.
dsunn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 06:53   #7923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsunn View Post
Finally, after 4 months of waiting, I took delivery of my EcoSport yesterday which was also the first day of Ganesh Chaturthi and hence a very auspicious day.

Firstly, thanks to all fellow BHPians for the valuable tips and suggestions, especially regarding reverse camera, insurance and how to deal with the dealer. .

2. Spare wheel cover:
The cover is ridiculously over-priced, but it greatly enhances the looks of the car.
Congrats on the new car! Wish you many happy motoring miles.
Look foward your detailed impressions and pics.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 08:58   #7924
BHPian

Quote:

4. Reverse camera:
The dealer was adamant that I purchase a 3t brand reverse parking camera which was exorbitantly priced at Rs 18k. I argued with them for 20mins regarding the pros and cons of the device. What convinced me against it was the fact that it didn't have auto-dimming and was of no use during night time. I finally won the argument and saved 18k.

Please tell me a good place from where I could get the following accessories in Delhi NCR

Congrats and welcome to the club ! I am happy to see the fact that you held your own against dealer pressure and got a good deal on insurance. In my case the dealer (Ganges Ford) scammed me minimum 20-30k on overpriced insurance, paint protection, extra registration charge and so on by indirectly hinting me of more waiting & poor after sales service etc etc.
The rear view camera with irvm was quoted to me at 13-14k. I also noticed that they dropped the price of side running board from 25k ish to 11k. I also took the illuminated scuff plates, i know they are very overpriced, but aftermarket options are very cheap and dont want them to give a chance to void my warranty. I will suggest you not to buy the Bull Guard. It may save you few bumper scratches, but in case of major accident it will do more harm than good. Besides why waste the looks of the lovely front grill ?
Samfromindia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 10:21   #7925
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
b) Rain deflector
c) Car door edge guard
Please do not even think of fitting a bull bar or grill guard. What is the point of buying car with airbags and then adding a bull bar which means they might not even go off. Moreover the front bumper and bonnet are designed as a crumple zone to dissipate the forces on impact evenly. With a front bar all that is lost. You re basically undoing what a company designs for better safety.

Rain deflector you can buy from anywhere but do note that these are stuck on the paint and can leave a mark when removed.

Door edge you can buy the cheap ones or go for the 3M PPF wrap at 3M stores. This is a transparent heavy duty film that they apply over the edges of the door. It works very well and is completely discreet.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 12:32   #7926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
I will suggest you not to buy the Bull Guard. It may save you few bumper scratches, but in case of major accident it will do more harm than good. Besides why waste the looks of the lovely front grill ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Please do not even think of fitting a bull bar or grill guard. What is the point of buying car with airbags and then adding a bull bar which means they might not even go off. Moreover the front bumper and bonnet are designed as a crumple zone to dissipate the forces on impact evenly. With a front bar all that is lost. You re basically undoing what a company designs for better safety.
Thanks for this.

I live in Gurgaon and given our road conditions and driving manners (especially of autowallahs and two-wheeler wallahs), I'm concerned about scratches / nicks. But yes, that concern is negligible in comparison to the adverse effects of bull bar. So, I've dropped the idea.
Old 30th August 2014, 13:05   #7927
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Ecoboost Mileage

Hi Folks,

Our Ecoboost petrol has covered 2,100 kms and ovall, I have been getting mileage of only 12.5 to 13 kmpl. This includes urban/rural and 1000 kms on highway at speeds over 140 kmph.

In my opnion, this vehicle will only return average of 12.5 kmpl in most conditions and on rare occations when you can cruise at 80kmph in 5th, it may give more.
Old 30th August 2014, 14:07   #7928
BHPian

Re: Ecoboost Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Folks,

Our Ecoboost petrol has covered 2,100 kms and ovall, I have been getting mileage of only 12.5 to 13 kmpl. This includes urban/rural and 1000 kms on highway at speeds over 140 kmph.

In my opnion, this vehicle will only return average of 12.5 kmpl in most conditions and on rare occations when you can cruise at 80kmph in 5th, it may give more.
Yeah you are right. My ecoboost also returns around 13kmpl and has covered 16k kms. 60:40 highway:city.
sidenzo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 14:39   #7929
BHPian

Re: Ecoboost Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Folks,

The problem is the speed at which you are driving. At those high speeds, the mileage will drop significantly. If you were to drive around 90 kmph you will find a significant increase the mileage. Of course it might not be worth the tradeoff for you!
Old 31st August 2014, 16:52   #7930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since my friend has Ecoboost, I'll be doing a semi-detailed comparison between 1.5P and Ecoboost soon.
We look forward to that, such a comparo will be very useful.
Old 31st August 2014, 18:31   #7931
Team-BHP Support

Ford India website states - 'Ecosport supplies improved. Book now to get delivery by the festive season'.

Looks like Ford and its dealers have finally woken up!
Old 31st August 2014, 19:27   #7932
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2. Spare wheel cover:
The cover is ridiculously over-priced, but it greatly enhances the looks of the car. The quality of scuff plates and engine guard are also really good. But Ford charges A LOT for its accessories.

3. Tyres:
What to do? Given my less than 400km monthly usage and mostly city driving, is it really worth to replace them with Goodyear?

4. Reverse camera:
The dealer was adamant that I purchase a 3t brand reverse parking camera which was exorbitantly priced at Rs 18k. I argued with them for 20mins regarding the pros and cons of the device. What convinced me against it was the fact that it didn't have auto-dimming and was of no use during night time. I finally won the argument and saved

6. Initial observations regarding 1.5P vs Ecoboost:

The 1.5P is definitely not under-powered. My basement's ramp is pretty steep and the 1.5P climbed the ramp in 2nd gear easily... no problem at all.

It's pretty early for me to start commenting on engine performance, but from the 40 odd kms I've driven so far, I still don't see the point of paying a premium for Ecoboost over the 1.5P. The only advantage I can see is slightly better fuel efficiency and better driving experience on highways. But, in city driving conditions, 1.5P is definitely a better option as I felt that Ecoboost is a bit sluggish in lower gears. Since my friend has Ecoboost, I'll be doing a semi-detailed comparison between 1.5P and Ecoboost soon. Hopefully, it will help others make a more informed decision while purchasing a Petrol EcoSport.

Btw, it seems that overwhelming majority of EcoSports run on diesel... I filled Petrol twice today from two different stations and both the times the assistant initially gestured me to go towards Diesel dispensers and I had to yell out that mine runs on Petrol... and both the times, the assistant seemed amused, as if he had seen a UFO.

Please tell me a good place from where I could get the following accessories in Delhi NCR

b) Rain deflector
c) Car door edge guard
1)Live with the MRF.
2) Get the official reverse camera it is worth it and the camera view at night is good. The absence of auto dimming is not felt due to mirror surface type.
3) Don't put front guard especially of metal as the airbags will not work as intended.
4) Put rain deflectors next year. Rains are almost over this year.
5) Get the black rubber long length car door door edge protectors.
6) Put a Large Green P on the fuel cap.
congrats.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 20:14   #7933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Don't put front guard especially of metal as the airbags will not work as intended.
Don't put bull bars, or anything similar, because they kill people. Doing the least possible harm to pedestrians is designed into the front ends of modern cars. Please do not spoil that.

Bull bars have no place outside jungles.
Old 1st September 2014, 10:49   #7934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

3. Tyres:
[/b]
Goodyears won't last! I'd 6 punctures in 1 tyre and the sidewall of another gave away. The sidewalls are ridiculously thin and if you live in areas with bad roads with jagged edges, its no use going to Goodyears.
I don't know about MRF that comes on Ecosport but in general, i find MRFs built to last longer at the expense of slight drop in grip and increase in road noise. But seriously, if you are not into traffic light racing and are a responsible driver, MRF should do well.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 11:08   #7935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Honest question - Is this confirmed? Just bull bar or grill guard is also in the same league? Are there official crash reports with bull bars on the cars?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks