Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2015, 09:41   #8476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I was facing the below issue with my Ecosport Titanium TDCi:

On applying the brakes gently, there was a metal to metal rubbing sound which would penetrate through in the cabin.
On applying brakes with pressure and releasing it, there was a loud THUD noise everytime.

With the 10K servicing, brought up this issue with the SA and he got the disc and the brake pads cleaned.
Though the noise now was almost gone when the brakes were applied gently, the loud THUD noise was still present.

The floor supervisor took a test ride and confirmed that the disc and the pads will need a replacement under warranty.
Same has been carried out. I haven't driven the car yet, but whatever small distance I traveled from the showroom till my home, I did not hear any unwanted noises from the brakes.

Has anyone faced similar issues?

Brake noise has been a perennial problem with my car. Brakes make a metallic screeching noise when pressed gently. In these 26k Kms of use twice they have replaced the pads, however it refuses to go. It has become quieter after the second replacement though

Before replacing the pads they did try cleaning the pads/discs on a few occasions however that didn't help for long
Rajiv0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 11:41   #8477
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by royfernandez View Post
I am also experiencing the occasional Judder on my 1.5P AT but it unfortunately never happens at the Ford workshop. I don't think its a very serious problem and it just needs getting used to.
I have also experienced slight judder on my AT especially during partial clutch such as starting from still position. I think this is something to do with how the clutch is tuned. The car tries to keep the engine RPM as low as possible during the partial clutch engagement. Other thing I have observed is that the judder only occurs when the car has been driven for sometime and engine is at operating temperature. During cold start, the judder never occurs as I believe the engine RPM is on the higher side.

Occasionally the car also provides a mild jerk. Scenario: driving on a crowded stretch. Foot on brake. Leave brake. No input to accelerator yet. Car in motion, press accelerator slightly. No reaction for 2 seconds. Suddenly a slight forward jerk as if late reaction and gear engaged.

Another instance experienced just one time. Was at 60 Kmph. Braked hard and came down to 20 Kmph. Pressed accelerator again to regain speed. On pressing the accelerator car juddered (similar to driving in wrong higher gear) for few seconds till it picked the appropriate gear.

I believe these are just little quirks of Ford's DCT. I did not raise these issues at the 1 year service as these people would not have understood and did not want them to fiddle around unnecessarily.
Old 3rd January 2015, 00:25   #8478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Anybody here using aftermarket horn? I am planning to change them.
I have installed the roots horn(the typical VW tone).
Was done by the Ford workshop guys.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 11:42   #8479

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
I have also experienced slight judder on my AT especially during partial clutch such as starting from still position. I think this is something to do with how the clutch is tuned. The car tries to keep the engine RPM as low as possible during the partial clutch engagement. Other thing I have observed is that the judder only occurs when the car has been driven for sometime and engine is at operating temperature. During cold start, the judder never occurs as I believe the engine RPM is on the higher side.

Occasionally the car also provides a mild jerk. Scenario: driving on a crowded stretch. Foot on brake. Leave brake. No input to accelerator yet. Car in motion, press accelerator slightly. No reaction for 2 seconds. Suddenly a slight forward jerk as if late reaction and gear engaged.

Another instance experienced just one time. Was at 60 Kmph. Braked hard and came down to 20 Kmph. Pressed accelerator again to regain speed. On pressing the accelerator car juddered (similar to driving in wrong higher gear) for few seconds till it picked the appropriate gear.

I believe these are just little quirks of Ford's DCT. I did not raise these issues at the 1 year service as these people would not have understood and did not want them to fiddle around unnecessarily.
I think this is a normal behaviour of the DCT there will be slight shuddering and clattering noise from the gear box it is also specified in the User Manual Booklet, Sudden thrusts at low or zero speed's can be fixed by an ECU update, I personally took my vehicle and forced the service centre guys to connect their computer and check for an ECU update which was available and the service guys denied stating that they do not have any information regarding the update, The update is related to the VIN and a key is generated each time a car is updated I think there is a charge for that after warranty expires, Now after the ECU update my vehicle is much more smoother and gear shifts have become buttery, Now the gears shift to top gear once the speeds reach 40-60 and drops to second/ first as the speed comes down, There is absolute zero acceleration lag, But before the update it took almost 2-5 seconds to get the car to move from Zero, Now it is so smooth it is a totally different feeling, With Ford's DCT you need not worry as Fords Dual Clutch Transmission comes with a 100000 KM or 15 Year warranty whichever comes first and the best part is it cannot be repaired you will get a free gearbox replacement under warranty, This is one reason i bought an Ecosport over a VW Polo GT, For more about gearbox you can also send a mail to Getrag who is the manufacturer of the DCT which Ford uses and clear your doubts. Happy Motoring
KarNut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 11:55   #8480

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
That's correct Roy. Thanks for confirming what I have been experiencing & glad to know that I am not the only one.

The earlier automatics that I owned including Honda City 1999 & 2007 version + Hyuandai i10 never exhibited such behaviour. Is it something to do with the PowerShift Gearbox (Ford's answer to DSG Gearboxes)?

I plan to escalate this matter further to Ford and have the same resolved as I am sure this judder is not normal. Will keep this post updated.
Fords PowerShift Gear box is a Six speed Dual Clutch Gearbox i.e. = DSG Gearbox it is manufactured by Getrag they also supply gearbox to many auto majors world wide, Old Honda City, 2007 version and Hyundai i10 are older generation Torque Converter gearbox which are very much different to DSG, Get an ECU update to fix the issue, See the magic after that

Quote:
Originally Posted by royfernandez View Post
Mine is a July 2013 manufactured 1.5P AT and the FSA # S1411 states RCM Connector wiring. I have not received any official communication from the dealer or from Ford India.
You might have received an E-Mail from Ford, hope you have checked your SPAM box, In my case the dealer called me even before I got a Mail from ford and got everything done with two-three hours......

Last edited by aah78 : 6th January 2015 at 22:37. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 5th January 2015, 07:01   #8481
Distinguished - BHPian

My dad has decided to replace his 2011 Safari with an EcoSport, and has booked a Chill Metallic EcoSport TDCi in Titanium at Rajshree Ford, Coimbatore. The Titanium (O) was the first choice, particularly for the additional airbags, but was finally ruled out due to the need for the grab handles for my mum.

The primary reason for the change being his need for a more manoeuvrable car in the hills, plus as fellow owner wiful put it nicely - 'empty nest syndrome' making the Safari larger than his needs.

While I did want him to try the Duster for its better ride, my dad preferred the shorter length of the EcoSport. The i20 Elite was also ruled out due to the higher seating position and easier ingress/egress offered by the EcoSport. I presume my overall satisfaction with the EcoSport also played some part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
Camera wiring is noway related to parking sensors. The +12v is tapped from the reverse light wiring for the camera. Only relation or rather integration is with the red lines on the mirror assembly and the distance which sensors sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
As mentioned by Ranjithrnair there is not connect to parking sensors. The parking sensors stay on along with reverse camera in my car.
Thank you both for your clarification, that is reassuring. I've asked my dad not to get the reverse camera fitted from his Coimbatore dealer since they're giving information to the contrary. Instead, we will get it done in Bangalore after some time (he prefers a camera since he's used to the one on the Safari, but I've asked him to give the sensors a shot for some time).
Old 5th January 2015, 23:16   #8482
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

My Ecosport AT features in the list of vehicle with Airbag related recall.

I did not get a call from them.

The Thane dealer whom I bought the vehicle from is closing down shop and Ford is looking for a new dealer in Thane.

I messaged the SA of Dealer based out of Chembur who serviced my vehicle last time my VIN and Reg no and he messaged back that my vehicle is on the list. Said it would take half a day.
Old 6th January 2015, 05:37   #8483
AAD
BHPian

Hi ACM,

You would normally get an E mail from Ford India. That's what happened in my case. Check your Junk / Spam Mailbox in case you missed out on this mail.
Old 6th January 2015, 06:21   #8484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
My dad has decided to replace his 2011 Safari with an EcoSport, and has booked a Chill Metallic EcoSport TDCi in Titanium at Rajshree Ford, Coimbatore. The Titanium (O) was the first choice, particularly for the additional airbags, but was finally ruled out due to the need for the grab handles for my mum.

The primary reason for the change being his need for a more manoeuvrable car in the hills, plus as fellow owner wiful put it nicely - 'empty nest syndrome' making the Safari larger than his needs.

While I did want him to try the Duster for its better ride, my dad preferred the shorter length of the EcoSport. The i20 Elite was also ruled out due to the higher seating position and easier ingress/egress offered by the EcoSport. I presume my overall satisfaction with the EcoSport also played some part.
Congrats to your dad in making a good (sensible) choice. The Titanium (O) would have been a great option but for those grab handles. Does the version he has booked come with 4 or 2 airbags? I'm sure he will be happy with his decision.
The only real grouse I have (at the moment) is the harsh ride on broken roads. It is particularly jarring at the back as I've found to my detriment when one of my kids drives it, with me in tow.

Last edited by wilful : 6th January 2015 at 06:38.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 06:43   #8485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Does the version he has booked come with 4 or 2 airbags? The only real grouse I have is the harsh ride on broken roads. It is particularly jarring at the back as I've found to my detriment when one of my kids drives it, with me in tow.
The Titanium that he's booked comes with only 2 airbags (frontal airbags), and has neither the side nor curtain airbags.

I agree about the harsh ride - during my Christmas vacation, my dad was in the back seat of my EcoSport at times, and he too noticed the harshness. Its not that bad in the front, fortunately, and that's where my parents will be most of the time.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 13:52   #8486
Senior - BHPian

Ford EcoSport added to Vijayawada Police Dept's fleet

Vijayawada Police Department have added Ford's EcoSport compact SUV to their fleet of vehicles.

The EcoSports are likely to be used as highway patrol vehicles. An article in MotorBeam also indicates that approximately 200 units of the Toyota Innova and Ford EcoSport have been ordered by the AP Government for the police.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-ford-ecosport-police-car.jpg
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 17:46   #8487
BHPian

Did any other AT owner also get the ECU updated? It will be easier to convince the dealer service centre if they have prior experience with this. My dealer is Wasan and I have been taking my vehicle to their Deonar service centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarNut View Post
I think this is a normal behaviour of the DCT there will be slight shuddering and clattering noise from the gear box it is also specified in the User Manual Booklet, Sudden thrusts at low or zero speed's can be fixed by an ECU update, I personally took my vehicle and forced the service centre guys to connect their computer and check for an ECU update which was available and the service guys denied stating that they do not have any information regarding the update, The update is related to the VIN and a key is generated each time a car is updated I think there is a charge for that after warranty expires, Now after the ECU update my vehicle is much more smoother and gear shifts have become buttery, Now the gears shift to top gear once the speeds reach 40-60 and drops to second/ first as the speed comes down, There is absolute zero acceleration lag, But before the update it took almost 2-5 seconds to get the car to move from Zero, Now it is so smooth it is a totally different feeling, With Ford's DCT you need not worry as Fords Dual Clutch Transmission comes with a 100000 KM or 15 Year warranty whichever comes first and the best part is it cannot be repaired you will get a free gearbox replacement under warranty, This is one reason i bought an Ecosport over a VW Polo GT, For more about gearbox you can also send a mail to Getrag who is the manufacturer of the DCT which Ford uses and clear your doubts. Happy Motoring
Old 7th January 2015, 06:57   #8488
Distinguished - BHPian

To start off my Christmas vacation, I drove alone from Bangalore to Coonoor on the morning of 20-Dec. My route was Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Avanashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Kotagiri-Coonoor. Unfortunately, I ended up getting stuck at various toll gates until Salem for a total of about 45 minutes, due to the holiday rush.

I had decided to try driving in a more sedate manner, since my previous run on the same route resulted in 14.5 km/L, with a heavy foot.

This time around, I got an overall trip mileage of 18.6 km/L for a distance of 415 km. More interestingly, I checked the MID after Mettupalayam, just before ascending the ghats to Kotagiri, and found that until there, I'd had a mileage of 19.9 km/L (i.e. highways, excluding the upcoming ghats). Yes, that's with the EcoBoost engine.

Key changes in my driving style:
  • Cruising at 100-110 km/h, with very occasional bursts to 120 km/h
  • If I was slowed down, accelerate quickly in a lower gear to attain cruising speed
  • Kept watch on the instantaneous mileage indicator
While my average speed was definitely lower, it wasn't boring, because the engine felt sharp, responsive and ready to leap ahead.

In all, I'm impressed with the EcoBoost engine - it can deliver the mileage if driven with a light foot, and it can deliver the thrills with a heavy foot.

Distance and mileage from Bangalore to Mettupalayam:
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-wp_20141220_003-crop.jpg
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-wp_20141220_005-crop.jpg
Distance and mileage from Bangalore to Coonoor:
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-wp_20141220_007-crop.jpg
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-wp_20141220_008-crop.jpg
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 10:28   #8489
Senior - BHPian

I own a Ford Ecosport Diesel Titanium(O) bought in September 2013. does it qualify for the recall activity carried out by Ford India?
Old 7th January 2015, 10:52   #8490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
My dad has decided to replace his 2011 Safari with an EcoSport

A bit late this reply, yet:

Are you sure that the 1.5 tdci can match with the lugging and the 'powerful' feel of the safari's engine, especially in the up-slope?
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed