Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2016, 13:13   #10216
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_gautam View Post
Curious to understand how does that help in rpm?

I have my blower set to auto, and have issues getting the engine to pull in 2nd gear when the rpm falls below 1.5k. I usually turn off the AC for few seconds and switch it back on.

Old Santro habits hard to die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satz581993Mille View Post
Haha! True indeed. Even we still have a Santro and we do exactly just that as and when the power falls beyond a certain level.

As with the ecoboost, I've never had to switch off the AC since mine will always be in blower level 2. If the AC is on auto, the blower speeds will be correspondingly higher so as to cool the cabin quicker. The blower will be in full blast if the outside temperature is too hot and that puts on some slight extra load on any car for that matter. But I never knew that the impact will be so much so that you'll have to turn it off to gain momentum. I think older cars and engines with lesser power( say less than 80bhp? ) would have its load visible due to the AC. I don't use the auto mode not to save power or fuel. I just don't like constantly varying blower speeds and the sound will be just too much when the blower is on full blast. May be your ecoboost doesn't lose power because of AC. The ecoboost has turbo lag below 1800-2000 rpm and that might be what you've felt. Or, when the turbo boost is off below 1800 rpm, the 3 cylinder just cannot take that much load when the AC is on auto. I will try driving with the AC on auto below 1500 rpm to check this.
I always use the ACC and keep varying the Temp depending on the cooling. regarding the blower noise, that's always more at the beginning and later settles down.

Coming to the lag, yes, there is a lot of lag below2k rpms irrespective of whether AC is on or not. Slowing down requires engaging 1st gear to move ahead. Try in 2nd gear and it will behave like an AT - waiting, waiting, waiting and then surge ahead post touching 2k rpms.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 13:42   #10217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I always use the ACC and keep varying the Temp depending on the cooling. regarding the blower noise, that's always more at the beginning and later settles down.

Coming to the lag, yes, there is a lot of lag below2k rpms irrespective of whether AC is on or not. Slowing down requires engaging 1st gear to move ahead. Try in 2nd gear and it will behave like an AT - waiting, waiting, waiting and then surge ahead post touching 2k rpms.

Cheers,
Raj
That is what exactly I do mostly. But at times it just feels frustrating to keep waiting in 2nd gear so I put it in 1st to gain some speed. Also, I shift to 1st to go over speedbreakers unless I have some speed. The ecoboost is quite uneasy in 2nd over speedbreakers IMO. Regarding the AC, even I've never felt any difference with the AC on/off itself leave aside ACC.
Old 21st June 2016, 14:08   #10218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is what exactly I do mostly. But at times it just feels frustrating to keep waiting in 2nd gear so I put it in 1st to gain some speed. Also, I shift to 1st to go over speedbreakers unless I have some speed. The ecoboost is quite uneasy in 2nd over speedbreakers IMO. Regarding the AC, even I've never felt any difference with the AC on/off itself leave aside ACC.
Same thing on the speed breakers. Nothing on 2nd, it has to be 1st or nothing. Unless its a mini speed breaker that you can take at a decent speed.

The low end too low. But can live with it, just keep using 1st.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 14:22   #10219
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Same thing on the speed breakers. Nothing on 2nd, it has to be 1st or nothing. Unless its a mini speed breaker that you can take at a decent speed.
I thought the Petrol-people may not have this complaint. This is the same scenario I go through on my TDCi. The 2nd gear lacks punch on the Ecosport unlike many. But at times, 1st gear is a bit too over powered too. I took some time initially to get used to.

Reminded me of my old Indica, where everything had to start from Gear one (No comparison here with the cars, but with the gearshift)
peterjim13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 14:43   #10220
BHPian

Quote:

True that! now I've just gotten used to it. There were some times when I tried to stay in 2nd over a speed bump. But, the engine loses rpm and I get that low rpm knocking kind of sound once the rpm hits low. So I decided to just stop trying itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
I thought the Petrol-people may not have this complaint. This is the same scenario I go through on my TDCi. The 2nd gear lacks punch on the Ecosport unlike many. But at times, 1st gear is a bit too over powered too. I took some time initially to get used to.

Reminded me of my old Indica, where everything had to start from Gear one (No comparison here with the cars, but with the gearshift)
Petrols never had to deal with this since they were all naturally aspirated so far. Ever since this downsizing thing has started, they have to mask the low power from small engines like the 1.0 by fitting them with a turbo. So, when the boost is absent (For our roads and traffic, it will always be absent ) the small capacity engine cannot pull all that well in 2nd gear.

Technically, now the petrols have started behaving a bit like diesels in low end. However, there are positives to take away as well. Revving above 5000rpm with a turbo petrol is something that has to be experienced to appreciate.
satz581993Mille is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 14:51   #10221
BHPian

One more query on my Titanium +:

I have paired my Nexus 5X with Sync. Bluetooth calls, Phonebook Sync etc are working but Bluetooth music streaming is not. I tried playing through different apps to check like DoubleTwist, Saavn, YouTube, Google Music etc.

Bluetooth streaming works on other BT enabled speakers though. So I doubt if my cell is the culprit.
Folks, any obvious trick that I am missing like with the DRLs?

Thanks in advance
Old 21st June 2016, 15:10   #10222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
I have paired my Nexus 5X with Sync. Bluetooth calls, Phonebook Sync etc are working but Bluetooth music streaming is not. I tried playing through different apps to check like DoubleTwist, Saavn, YouTube, Google Music etc.
I'm a recent owner of Titanium AT and I had the same predicament with my MotoG. Then suddenly discovered that pressing 'Aux' button repeatedly toggles between 'Aux In', 'USB In' and 'BT audio'. You may want to try that.
Old 21st June 2016, 15:14   #10223
BHPian

Quote:

Bluetooth streaming works on other BT enabled speakers though. So I doubt if my cell is the culprit.

Thanks in advance
In all likelihood, you're not on the AUX mode. Press it a couple of times till you see BT Audio on the top left.
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 15:17   #10224
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Streaming not working as in? Do you see the track playing but don't get the sound? or Is it something like, you just play the music from your phone's music app but it doesn't start playing itself in the system?

If its the second scenario,

1. If a PD is already inserted, the songs won't start playing directly if you just play in the phone.

2. You can start the streaming by removing the PD while some music is being played. Sync will automatically tell you that no device is inserted and click on another source. At this point, you can click on BT (bluetooth) as source. Once you click this, the music will start playing.

3. OR, you can remove the PD. Then click on media. It will again say that there is no source and click on a device. Select the phone and it will start playing.

If its the first scenario, try with another phone first. If even that fails, there is an issue.
satz581993Mille is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 16:03   #10225
Senior - BHPian

The Phone once paired with Sync will recognize it from next time onwards even if your HU is switched off and the BT on the phone is on. This is for the Emergency Assist (EA) feature.

What i do:

1. Sit inside the car.
2. Switch on the phone BT (One plus one)
3. The system will show that connection is established and EA is enabled.
4. Switch on HU.
5. Tracks automatically start playing without me opening the music player on the phone.
6. At times the song name display on the HU gets stuck but the music keeps playing. Pausing / Next Track / Prev Track generally resolves the issue.

Note - USB slot is empty.

Have tried with wifey's Nexus 5 as well and its seamless.

The only irritating feature of this HU is you cant change folders. Why Ford, why on earth would you do that.
Old 22nd June 2016, 18:01   #10226
VMG
BHPian

Pl let me know about 2017 model launch date in India.
Is it worth waiting for 2017 AT or can I go ahead for the current AT, Pl reply.
Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 20:21   #10227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post

Thanks

Well, the 2017 model will take at least an year to reach the stockyards of dealers I guess. Also, I'm pretty sure that there won't be any mechanical changes to the engine as well as the gearbox. So even if a new version ends up coming after your purchase, at best most of the changes will be cosmetic. If you could live with that even if somehow ford launches the new model before an year, you should go with the current one.
Old 22nd June 2016, 23:59   #10228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have paired my Nexus 5X with Sync. Bluetooth calls, Phonebook Sync etc are working but Bluetooth music streaming is not.
Thanks in advance
Just press the aux button repeatedly( after you pair the phone) till you see Bluetooth audio displayed on the screen.

I suggest you to throughly read the manual once and also go through my ownership thread for detailed DIYs.

Quote:
Thanks
If you can live with the cosmetic changes you miss out and the lower resale value of the current one, buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
I agree with you that the low end torque is lacking

An off topic question for you as I noticed that you own the XUV500 too.

How do you find the Ecosport in comparison to the XUV500 ? (As an overall package)
What made you buy an Ecosport after owning the XUV 500 for two years?

Thank you

Last edited by ecosport rules : 23rd June 2016 at 00:01.
Old 23rd June 2016, 03:31   #10229
BHPian

Hello All,
I'm very excited to be part of Team-BHP and this is my first post. Finally got the time to register and be part of Team-BHP family, after being a passive reader for close to 8 months.

I would like to thank moderators for approving my membership and also all you fellow BHPians, whose valuable contributions to this forum keeps folks like me informed regarding the latest happenings and unbiased reviews / ownership threads. In fact this is one of the thread which I closely follow and also compelled me to be part of Team-BHP.

I started my hunt to purchase my first car in India about 8 months ago (returned back to India from overseas). I had no specific make/type/segment in preference and to be honest, I didn't know what to expect from a Indian car (after driving Automatic's for about 7 years overseas and had never driven before in India). I restricted myself to 12 lakhs as the budget limit (which by the way was 6 lakhs to begin with). After lot of sleepless nights, burning the midnight oil reading multiple reviews, blogs / forums, watching online video reviews - finally narrowed it down to Ford EcoSport Titanium+ TDCI (from the list of cars offered in India within my budget).

Now that its close to 8 months of car hunt, even I'm in the same dilemma as below - should I wait for 2017 model or go with the current one?

Quote:
Quote:
Well, the 2017 model will take at least an year to reach the stockyards of dealers I guess. Also, I'm pretty sure that there won't be any mechanical changes to the engine as well as the gearbox. So even if a new version ends up coming after your purchase, at best most of the changes will be cosmetic. If you could live with that even if somehow ford launches the new model before an year, you should go with the current one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
If you can live with the cosmetic changes you miss out and the lower resale value of the current one, buy it.
The only major turn off in EcoSport is the interior dashboard design - mainly control units and display screen. I think it resembles the age old Nokia phone with plethora of buttons. It might look futuristic to many, but looks ugly to me. I read somewhere online that, new version of EcoSport would get a new dashboard design which would include a touch screen as well. Most likely would resemble the Ford Endeavour's dash to some extent (I'm sorry that I don't recall the source and cannot quote it here). I just wished the recent face lift included a fix to the dashboard design and also added retractable ORVMs.

If its going to take another 1 year to get a new interior design, then I don't think I will wait for it. I can live with all the other CONS listed as part of official review and just hope that the looks of dashboard will grow on me, as time passes by (just like the car - initially EcoSport didn't appeal to me but over the last 8 months, after reading more of this thread, the looks kind of grew on me).

After visiting the Ford Dealers, I had few questions and request inputs from fellow members regarding below:

1) Below were offered on Titanium+ TDCI (not the black edition)

Common for all 3 dealers:
- Wait times around 3-4 weeks
- No discounts
- Corp offer: 4th year warranty upto 80K (or 100k)

Dealer 1:
- Basic accessories for free (up to 10k value which includes car cover as well)
- 10% off on accessories that I chose from
- Can opt for insurance from outside (quoted about 47K)

Dealer 2:
- Can opt for insurance from outside but no discounts - period.

If I opt for insurance from dealer (worth 47k), then below are on offer:
- Car color matching rear wheel cover for free (worth 13k)
- Basic accessories for free (up to 5k value which doesn't include car cover)
- 3% off on accessories that I chose from (Yes, its Three% )

Dealer 3:
- Never got back to me regarding any offers

Considering that there are about 241 Ford dealerships across India (from cardekho.com) and sales figures of about 3000 Ecosports/month, I guess the dealerships are happy selling approximately 12-13 of them per month without discounts/freebies.

I guess no further room for bargaining available, so should it be (dealer 1 or 2) that should be receiving my million+ rupees?

2) In the day/night mode IRVM, rear camera display cannot be integrated with the 2016 models Titanium+ models. Looks like we will loose the day night mode and need to just settle for regular IRVM with rear camera view integrated. Is this correct?

3) What would it take cost wise, to have retractable ORVMs? and would this impact warranty in anyway (there is no official Ford accessory to have this as a feature)

4) Any option to opt for official Ford accessory for the headlamps (to have them changed to projector headlights). Seems like the SA or their manager or general manager, none of them are aware. On a lighter note, I was more aware of the car features than anyone in the dealership, thanks to team-BHP reviews and ownership threads.

Off-topic: I also test drove the petrol / diesel Tata Tiago and came back mighty impressed with the diesel variant (top end), which I think is ideal for City conditions (mileage claims are insane). Probably would have booked this over Ecosport but current wait times are running at 3+ months. Also absolutely no discounts which are understandable, even corporate offer is Three (3) K cash discounts only.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd June 2016 at 17:40. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Eyas337 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 11:29   #10230
BHPian

Quote:
How do you find the Ecosport in comparison to the XUV500 ? (As an overall package)
Ideally there is no comparison in terms of an overall package.
With just less than 5 lakhs increase in the On road price, there are a lot of value that XUV5OO adds, compared to the smaller EcoSport.

Lot of things that XUV5OO scores well at.
  • Drive
  • People moving
  • Ride Comfort
  • Practicality
  • Features on board
  • Safety
  • Customer Service

On the other hand, EcoSport does well in what it is built for.
  • The way it tackles the Urban challenges. "Urban SUV" is best suited name for the car.
  • It also scores well in overall built quality, and the quality of some plastics.
  • Lacks a lot of things which would have been added to the 10 Lakh car (2 years back).
  • It is more like a taller hatchback with looks of an SUV

And both of them does well in terms of Looks !

But for my regular use, office, city rides etc and for my love for SUVs Ecosport does its job pretty well.

Quote:
What made you buy an Ecosport after owning the XUV 500 for two years?
XUV5OO is what I use back at home in Wayanad (Kerala), from 2012. I am now based in Cochin for my work & business. About 2 years back, I wanted a car for city use and monthly drive home and off course nearby short trips. I had zeroed in on Duster, Polo GT and EcoSport, and went for EcoSport (again) with its practicality and lower cost of ownership.

It gave a lot more reason to buy an EcoSport compared to the hatchbacks we had around in the same price. Duster again was a bit too big for my use, and did not like the way it handled traffic.

So both of them serve me and my family well for what they expected to do.
peterjim13 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks