Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2016, 22:45   #10291
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
My service advisor mentioned 5w20 for the Ecoboost engine today. I have given it for the 2nd service. Previously it was 5w30. He says Ford has changed it. He even showed his computer screen and said it picks up 5w20 automatically for the Ecoboost.
Here's the relevant extract from the owner's manual about the grade of engine oil for the EcoSport:
Name:  EcoSport Oil.gif
Views: 3368
Size:  12.8 KB
While both the 1.5L petrol and 1.5L diesel engine accept only 5W-30 grade oil, the EcoBoost is specified as accepting either 5W-20 or 5W-30 grades of oil. So, there's no harm or worry in switching over to 5W-20, provided they do a complete oil change (i.e. drain all the old oil and change the oil filter).

Speaking from personal experience, my 2013 EcoSport with an EcoBoost engine has always used 5W-20 at its annual services, performed at Lathangi Ford, Bangalore.

Last edited by arunphilip : 9th July 2016 at 22:51. Reason: Added link to the owner's manual
Old 10th July 2016, 00:11   #10292
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Arun. That clears my doubt
Old 10th July 2016, 21:18   #10293
BHPian

Hey guys, now I'm seeing another worrisome issue in my ecoboost. Whenever I wait in any signal, the car's idle rpm starts fluctuation very slightly. This has started happening only yesterday. So far this was happening only during cold starts but it never happens once the car is warmed up. I've recorded this rpm fluctuation during idle, check at 0:10 of the video linked below.

Also, the idle rpm varies from time to time. It stays just under 1k at times and now it stays just a bit above 1k. Any thoughts regarding this?
Old 11th July 2016, 11:43   #10294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishankar999 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am in deep distress as my 2 year old (26k km) Ecosport tdci titanium (o) is showing water leakage into the passenger floor from under the glove box the second consecutive year.

Attaching a few images.. Will keep this updated as soon as I get my car back. Hope no one else goes through this on their car !! Any insights into similar issue will be of great help!

Many years back I had similar problems with my Gypsy and that was due to some design faults. The dealer was incapable and Maruti was not interested in helping, so I had to make some modifications. But now the manufacturers are responsive, especially due to forums like Team-bhp.

So, in my opinion, you should also take it up with Ford directly.
Old 11th July 2016, 11:48   #10295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz581993Mille View Post
Hey guys, now I'm seeing another worrisome issue in my ecoboost.
That's a very small wavering. I don't exactly recall but I am sure that happens in my EcoBoost too.
I wouldn't be bothered.
penpavan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 11:52   #10296
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the idle rpm varies from time to time. It stays just under 1k at times and now it stays just a bit above 1k. Any thoughts regarding this?
Happens in my TDCi also. I don't think its a cause for worry. If I recall, this usually happens on very hot days with the AC on and fan constantly kicking in and shutting off. I think its because of the additional load on the engine on very hot days (read over 40 degrees)
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 12:02   #10297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, now I'm seeing another worrisome issue in my ecoboost. Whenever I wait in any signal, the car's idle rpm starts fluctuation very slightly. Any thoughts regarding this?
I think this is negligible. Nothing alarming at all. The movement is so little that one might not notice unless very keenly observed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
Many years back I had similar problems with my Gypsy and that was due to some design faults.
Yeah, Gypsy and its quirks .

Most leakages happen from the windscreen area. The glue that holds the windscreen might have a small leak. Has happened to me on my old Honda City Vtec. Else the rubber beadings have given away.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 12:03   #10298

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
Many years back I had similar problems with my Gypsy and that was due to some design faults. The dealer was incapable and Maruti was not interested in helping, so I had to make some modifications. But now the manufacturers are responsive, especially due to forums like Team-bhp.

Thanks for the info friend .. I just got back my car from the SC and I am thoroughly disappointed. Will be soon posting an update on my experience as well as will be raising it with Ford.Dont deserve this kind of experience with a 10lakh+ car.
Old 11th July 2016, 12:14   #10299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Happens in my TDCi also. I don't think its a cause for worry. If I recall, this usually happens on very hot days with the AC on and fan constantly kicking in and shutting off. I think its because of the additional load on the engine on very hot days (read over 40 degrees)
In my opinion, this happens when you keep your ac on. Cars are designed to maintain a specific rpm both for when the AC compressor is on and not. I think its just to do with this. Nothing to worry about.

If it keeps fluctuation at all times, get the spark plugs checked.
naturaldisaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 12:16   #10300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
In my opinion, this happens when you keep your ac on. Cars are designed to maintain a specific rpm both for when the AC compressor is on and not. I think its just to do with this. Nothing to worry about.

Yes, this is what I think. Like I said, it only happens in peak summer here in Delhi when temperature is above 43-45. Rest of the year, like now, I don't see this behaviour, so I'm not worrying about it too much.
Old 11th July 2016, 14:27   #10301
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys, how do you find the headlights on the EcoSport?

I was on a highway drive at night this past weekend and I am shocked at how poor the headlights are. I absolutely cannot see the road in the sense that there is no patch of road that I see "lit" by my car. I tried leveling the headlight but I guess the beam isn't strong enough.

The only time I "see" a faint headlight throw is when there is a barricade nearby while taking a turn or on the vehicle in front.

Any observations/suggestions/solutions?
Old 11th July 2016, 15:21   #10302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
That's a very small wavering. I don't exactly recall but I am sure that happens in my EcoBoost too.
I wouldn't be bothered.
Thanks for the clarification penpavan! Even I wouldn't have noticed if not for a traffic signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I think you are right. I happened to notice this yesterday when the weather was extremely sultry and humid but not over 40 degrees. It was somewhere close to 37-38 degrees yesterday, but in Chennai, the "actual feel" temperature would be above 42-43 owing to very high humidity.

Quote:
I think this is negligible. Nothing alarming at all. The movement is so little that one might not notice unless very keenly observed.
Thanks for your input Desmosedici. I've got a very bad habit of nitpicking in everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post

Yes, even I knew that there would be two specific idle rpms depending on the AC. However, what got me confused is the very slight increase in idle rpm with the AC on and the way it bounced. In my swift, the rpms go high when the compressor is on and goes down without any hiccups once its off. It doesn't keep fluctuating all the time though, in the mornings when the weather is quite pleasant, my ecoboost idles just a tad below 1k without any fluctuations whatsoever (it does on warm up after a cold start though). Thanks!
Old 11th July 2016, 16:15   #10303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hey guys, how do you find the headlights on the EcoSport?

I was on a highway drive at night this past weekend and I am shocked at how poor the headlights are. I absolutely cannot see the road in the sense that there is no patch of road that I see "lit" by my car. I tried leveling the headlight but I guess the beam isn't strong enough.

The only time I "see" a faint headlight throw is when there is a barricade nearby while taking a turn or on the vehicle in front.

Any observations/suggestions/solutions?
In simple plain words - the headlights suck. I have been thinking and thinking on whether to get one of the following:

1. Aftermarket Projector Setup - Too whitish light. Warranty issues. Reliability.

2. Bulb Upgrade - From whatever i have read, its better but just marginally (Osram NightBreakers / Philips Extreme Vision 130+ etc)

3. Relay with ceramic holders and 100/90 bulbs - Not sure if this involves splicing of wires.

4. Hella driving lights - These can be powered off the battery directly and the output is great (personal experience with my previous Gypsy)

I am tilted towards 3 or 4.

3 should be cost effective (1500 for relay + ~500 - 1000 bucks for 100/90 bulbs)

4 should cost around 4000 for the Hellas + additional for wiring, switch etc.

But since my driving is very very low i have not done anything uptil now.

Cheers,
Raj

Last edited by Desmosedici : 11th July 2016 at 16:16.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 16:28   #10304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In simple plain words - the headlights suck. I have been thinking and thinking on whether to get one of the following:
Suck is an understatement! I am actually hesitant to drive on unlit roads at night; and I haven't faced this level of insecurity even with an 800.

None of 2/3/4 will void warranty, correct?

Is 2 a good stop-gap arrangement till there's a better solution?
Old 11th July 2016, 16:41   #10305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Suck is an understatement! I am actually hesitant to drive on unlit roads at night; and I haven't faced this level of insecurity even with an 800.

None of 2/3/4 will void warranty, correct?

Is 2 a good stop-gap arrangement till there's a better solution?

Actually the relay part is the thing that will void the warranty. If you go for a projector setup with 35 or 55W ballast for the HID, warranty will not get affected. You can also get yellowish light at 4300k. However, like you, even I am in the same boat rowing across the sea of darkness to pick the right island out of the first three choices. Owing to vitamin M factor I know, I might end up with relay and 10/90.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks