Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2016, 07:21   #10501
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha Mir View Post
I'm curious about the reliability of the 1.5 TDCi mill.
I'd expect the reliability to be good, and I'd expect a well-maintained (e.g. oil, filters and timing belts changed on time) and well-treated engine to run into the lakhs of kilometres range before needing any overhaul. Anecdotally, turbochargers appear to be one component that need either servicing/replacement before any of the other major mechanicals like the block, crank, etc.

In addition to the points that johannskaria and sunilg33 made, consider the following points:
  • The 1.5 TDCi is based on the 1.4 TDCi that did duty in the old Fiesta/Classic, as well as the old Figo (LINK). Both these models have been used happily by cabbies, and they've not reported any dissatisfaction. Given that they pack on thousands of kilometres a month and drive it rougher than a private car owner would, it is reassuring.
  • The 1.5 TDCi is a mechanically simpler engine than the average turbodiesel in India - the 1.5 TDCi employs an SOHC (instead of DOHC) and - more importantly - a FGT (instead of variable geometry turbo). Simpler engines have fewer failure points.
  • The 1.5 TDCi is tuned lighter (i.e. not as aggressively) when compared to its competitors, and I assume this lighter tune will be gentler on the engine. As a comparison, Hyundai are notable for tuning their engines for higher peak power and peak torque. For example, Hyundai's 1.4 CRDi in the Creta puts out 90 ps and 220 Nm whereas Ford puts out 100 ps and 215 Nm in the Figo. When we look at the specific output (i.e. output per liter of engine capacity), that gives Hyundai's 1.4 CRDi a specific output of 64 ps/L and 157 Nm/L, compared to Ford's 1.5 TDCi which has 66 ps/L and 143 Nm/L. Taking another example, consider Fiat's 1.3 MultiJet engine as used in the Brezza - this 1.3 DDiS gives an output of 89 ps and 200 Nm, for a specific output of 68 ps/L and 153 Nm/L.
arunphilip is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 08:38   #10502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
Their is no place for tweeters in rear, so I guess I might have to go coax in the rear. Also, as per my research damping would be required too. Since my budget is limited to 30-35k, I guess Amplifier might be out of budget.
30-35 k is more thank sufficient along with Amp, you can even add a sub with 4 channel amp, comps, coax, with that money. Don't think of upgrade without Amp. Components won't come to life without Amp. Dampening you can do for doors if required, you can fix speaker and check if dampening is required.
Old 12th August 2016, 15:12   #10503
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, has anyone gone for an audio upgrade. I find that its excellent till volume level 14 and after that it gets distorted. What should be the minimum upgrade that needs to be done to fix this ? Although, I always had big plans for this but somehow I don't feel like spending huge amount of money for a car that I am going to sell in 1-2 years. Any suggestions ?
I have the following installed in my Ecosport 1.5 TDCi

Front - Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System
Rear - Rockford Fosgate Prime R1653 6.5-Inch
Subwoofer - Kicker 40CWRT672 CompRT 6-3/4"
Amp - Rockford Fosgate R600X5 Prime 5-Channel Amplifier

made a DIY fiberglass enclosure for the Subwoofer
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_20160709_102808.jpg  

dish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 18:57   #10504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
  • The 1.5 TDCi is tuned lighter (i.e. not as aggressively) when compared to its competitors, and I assume this lighter tune will be gentler on the engine.
The difference in power is not just related to a better aggressive tune. It's related to the engine design. CRDi engines are supposed to be more powerful and more fuel efficient. However, reliability is something that is TDi's forte. VW cars are also TDi. Toyota, the brand that symbolizes reliability is also similarly configured as Ecosport's Direct injection and not based on rail.

For reliability, the only issue that the consumer might face in terms of ecosport is clutch and water seepage from passenger side. Their might be some other small niggles but this is true for every car. The good thing is the way Ford deals with this stuff. As per my experience (from friend's as its my first ford), Ford is very good when it comes to supporting a warranty claim. Also, right now ford cars are one of the cheapest to maintain. I know someone from Kerala who has already clocked 1.2 Lakh KM on Ecosport and he claims that his car still feels like new. My cousin had Ford Fiesta and till 1.35 Lakh km his maintenance expense was limited to the periodic maintainence and the only thing extra that was changed was clutch and disc pads. So yes, do not worry, it will be a reliable motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post

How much did your expense go ? Did you do any dampening ? I am thinking about going with Rainbow or Morel Tempo speakers.

Since it will be my first car that undergoes an ICE upgrade, how reliable are these products ? I mean if I buy an amplifier worth 15k+, would it be re-usable in future cars to come ?
BB311 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 19:36   #10505
BHPian

Quote:

How much did your expense go ? Did you do any dampening ? I am thinking about going with Rainbow or Morel Tempo speakers.

Since it will be my first car that undergoes an ICE upgrade, how reliable are these products ? I mean if I buy an amplifier worth 15k+, would it be re-usable in future cars to come ?
I got the stuff from the US, so, the prices may not be good for comparison in the local market. If it is of any use, here is what i paid

SubWoofer – $ 70
Polk component speaker – $ 120
Rockford Fosgate speakers – $ 47
Rockford Fosgate Amp - $ 180

I have been using a set of Rockford Fosgate prime speakers and an Alpine amp for about 7 years and have changed on to two cars ....so, pretty reliable I would say. I have not done any dampening, ....have found Ecosport to be well insulated from external sounds.
Old 13th August 2016, 00:16   #10506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post

Can you please provide more details on this? Is it titanium version with start stop button? If yes how is the connection for amplifier managed?
Old 13th August 2016, 12:50   #10507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
Can you please provide more details on this? Is it titanium version with start stop button? If yes how is the connection for amplifier managed?
Yes, it is a Titanium + version with start stop button. I used a Fuse Tap to draw power from an existing circuit located in the fuse compartment behind the glove box. The main power for the Amp is drawn directly from the battery using a standard amp power cable. I used the fuse tap on the AC circuit as power supply is controlled by the start / stop button. The cigarette lighter / 12 v power supply in the ecosport is constantly on and using this would have created problem of amp constantly drawing power even when the vehicle is switched off and hence draining the battery. I sourced the fuse tap through aliexpress. I see that they are also available on amazon, albeit a little expensive. Here is the image of the fuse tap.

I have also used another fuse tap to install a second 12v power socket inside the glow compartment for the GPS unit. Have concealed and drawn the GPS power chord through the dashboard.

Using the fuse tap does not damage / splice the stock wiring, hence does not void warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-fusetap.jpg  

dish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 22:38   #10508
BHPian

Hi Everyone! Took the delivery of Ecosport Ecoboost Trend+ variant on Friday and am super happy about it. In a nutshell, I was a frustrated owner of the new Honda Jazz and couldn't resist selling it; though at a huge loss I'm planning to get a good body cover and have zeroed in on Polco's cover made of Tyvek. Do you think its a good option to go for?

Attaching some pictures I took after doing the PDI:
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20160809_182043.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20160809_182051.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20160809_182104.jpg  

k.sumit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 23:16   #10509
BHPian

I finally got my ecosport titanium plus diesel last week, I am due for a new ownership thread which I will do shortly, I have been to Hyderabad and while coming back today got a information message popped out saying "Engine Service Now". Message came around 970km, I got scared and called Ford Helpline, the guy asked if the color was red or orange, I said it's in amber with exclamatory sign and in dashboard with text. He asked me if I felt any changes in driving which I didn't, so he asked me to drive and Incase any red mark or if engine stopped asked them to call Helpline again. By God's grace we reached Bangalore with no issues.

I want to know what is this message?
Earlier in sync vehicle settings I had changed chime to information, only warning was ticked, but I did change information also, is it because of this? Why would new vehicle need engine service and when I untucked the chime, it never came back, had somebody experienced this?
johnruben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 23:28   #10510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
Hi Everyone! Took the delivery of Ecosport Ecoboost Trend+ variant on Friday and am super happy about it. In a nutshell, I was a frustrated owner of the new Honda Jazz and couldn't resist selling it; though at a huge loss :
A bit off topic but why did u sell your new jazz so early to buy a car only half a segment above it and inferior to it in space after occurring a huge loss. I have completed 1 year with my jazz and the Ecosport was also in contention at that time but lack of space and the price before the price cut were the main deterrents for me.
Old 15th August 2016, 23:57   #10511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
A bit off topic but why did u sell your new jazz so early to buy a car only half a segment above it and inferior to it in space after occurring a huge loss. I have completed 1 year with my jazz and the Ecosport was also in contention at that time but lack of space and the price before the price cut were the main deterrents for me.
It was all about manufacturing defects The gearbox of my vehicle vibrated a little initially but increased a lot as I clocked more kilometers. None of the authorized service centers entertained me and I also spoke to the service center manager about it who just kept delaying action on this. The A, B and C pedal vibrated a lot when increasing speed from 80-90 kmph. There were other issues too (I have written about in length on the dedicated thread) which left me frustrated to the core. I mean, the level of service I experience, both in Delhi and Indore; is the worst I've come across till date. I understand that I may have ended up with a lemon but the least I expected was good response to my complains.

Choosing the Ecosport was not a simple decision for me. A lot of thought went into this and I agree to the fact that its just half a segment above and space is a compromise. I was on a tight budget after incurring a loss of 1.5 lakhs and buying Ecosport was a stretch in itself. Space is definitely a concern if I compare it with Jazz but with avg to light built of my family members, I think we will be able to live with it. Built quality was my top priority and Ecosport checked all the right boxes; at-least to my untrained eye. Every car has its own set of compromises and the cons of Ecosport are the ones I can live with. One can call it a weird decision but I was just not able to live with Jazz.

Last edited by k.sumit : 16th August 2016 at 00:02.
k.sumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 06:16   #10512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone! Took the delivery of Ecosport Ecoboost Trend+ variant on Friday and am super happy about it. In a nutshell, I was a frustrated owner of the new Honda Jazz and couldn't resist selling it; though at a huge loss I'm planning to get a good body cover and have zeroed in on Polco's cover made of Tyvek. Do you think its a good option to go for?

Congrats on the new buy! I think you will be happy with your decision in the long run. The build quality should definitely be fully up to your expectations. Wishing you many happy and safe miles!
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 08:10   #10513
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats on the new car. It seems that you took the car for a drive as part of the PDI. You probably wanted to ensure that this one again is not a lemon. Did the dealer agree to give you a drive?
amit.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 08:19   #10514
BHPian

Quote:
: I'm planning to get a good body cover and have zeroed in on Polco's cover made of Tyvek. Do you think its a good option to go for?

Hi Congrats on the new car. I have bought a polco for my ecosport. While the cover is good, it is too big for the car so a lot of portion is hanging very low making it susceptible to get dirty
nitheeshsreeram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 09:33   #10515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
I finally got my ecosport titanium plus diesel last week, I am due for a new ownership thread which I will do shortly, I have been to Hyderabad and while coming back today got a information message popped out saying "Engine Service Now".
Congratulations on getting your car!

The "Engine Service Now" message is rather strange; please have it checked from your SA immediately.

Changing message/display settings should not have anything to do with a message related to the engine.

Possibly something related to the fuel? Did you fill somewhere on the highway?
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks