Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2016, 17:06   #10651
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

What browser are you using? There are some aspects of the website that work best only on I.E.; not any browser on Mac or even Edge on Windows.

I had no issue signing up while using IE.
I tried using Chrome and Opera on Mac. Did not try using it on windows!

Will try again from a windows based machine.
Old 15th September 2016, 18:33   #10652
BHPian

Hi guys, need some advice. Is there any way to keep the audio system on when you turn of the engine in the Titanium variant? No key, so can't keep it in ACC mode manually.
Old 15th September 2016, 18:48   #10653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Hi guys, need some advice. Is there any way to keep the audio system on when you turn of the engine in the Titanium variant? No key, so can't keep it in ACC mode manually.
I think you press the Start button without holding the clutch. The electricals start without the engine.
Old 15th September 2016, 19:18   #10654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
None that I'm aware of. The only time it has happened is when I stalled the engine - that time the stereo stayed on. Obviously that is not something you will enjoy doing to your car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
I think you press the Start button without holding the clutch. The electricals start without the engine.
Vivek's car is running and he wants to turn off only the engine and not the stereo (e.g. at a signal). He's not looking to turn on the stereo in a stopped car. If it were that, you can just press the stereo's "On" button to turn on the "One- Hour Mode".
Old 15th September 2016, 20:09   #10655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvshaun View Post
Is this a case of service indicator not being reset in the previous service? Or could it be something else.

What is the suggested course of action. Does this look like something that is urgent?
The service reminder comes on after the odometer crosses 10k, 20k etc. And the Ford service guys forget to get this done usually.

You can reset it by keeping the accelerator and brake pedal pressed for about 10 seconds after switching the ignition on.

More details here (Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi)

Quote:
Is there any way to keep the audio system on when you turn of the engine in the Titanium variant? No key, so can't keep it in ACC mode manually.
The audio system will not go off even after switching the engine off using the start stop button. It goes off only if you open the driver's door. That's how it is in the Fiesta. I will be surprised if its not the same in EcoSport.

And one can switch the music system on again as arunphilip mentioned above. Don't need the key or ACC for that once you are inside the vehicle.

Last edited by deetjohn : 15th September 2016 at 20:12. Reason: Correcting the link.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 21:03   #10656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The audio system will not go off even after switching the engine off using the start stop button. It goes off only if you open the driver's door. That's how it is in the Fiesta. I will be surprised if its not the same in EcoSport.
Ah, so there is a difference - the EcoSport doesn't have that smartness!

Bear in mind that the Sync in the EcoSport prior to the 2015 facelift is an older version compared to the Sync in the 2014 Fiesta and 2015 EcoSport, 2015 Figo and 2015 Aspire - all these newer ones have Sync with AppLink, and the 2013/2014 EcoSport have only Sync, without AppLink.

Alongside AppLink, I think they must have added in this feature. Its not a major feature to advertise, but its one that makes a difference to live with.

Quote:
The service reminder ... You can reset it by keeping the accelerator and brake pedal pressed for about 10 seconds after switching the ignition on.
Good tip - thank you
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 21:52   #10657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Ah, so there is a difference - the EcoSport doesn't have that smartness!

Bear in mind that the Sync in the EcoSport prior to the 2015 facelift is an older version....
I'm surprised it does not work like this in the Ecosport.

But I doubt it has anything to do with SYNC. Mine is the base model Aspire and it still works this way. Mind you, I did not even get an audio system when I bought the car.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 22:08   #10658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I'm surprised it does not work like this in the Ecosport. But I doubt it has anything to do with SYNC. Mine is the base model Aspire and it still works this way. Mind you, I did not even get an audio system when I bought the car.
Any car with a normal key will work the way you've described, because the key has 4 positions:
  • O - Off
  • I - Accessory
  • II - On
  • III - Start/Crank
When your car is running, the key is in the 'On'/II position, and you can move it to 'Accessory'/I without cutting off the stereo, by turning from II to I.
Name:  20160915 2.png
Views: 3026
Size:  41.9 KB

Push-button start vehicles have positions I and II combined (so, it is O, I/II and III only). Moreover, a push-button has only two states, not pushed (equivalent to O) and pushed (equivalent to I/II). This means its not as easy to have the 4 states mentioned above.
Name:  20160915 3.png
Views: 2979
Size:  78.0 KB

To start the car, we have to press the clutch and push the button (equivalent to III). But once the engine is running (i.e. position II), when we push the button to then stop it, it goes from II to O.

What appears to have been done - based on my inference according to deetjohn's description - is that now pressing the button on a running car changes from II to I, and opening the door changes from I to O.

Last edited by arunphilip : 15th September 2016 at 22:10. Reason: Resized image for watermark
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 22:57   #10659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bear in mind that - all these newer ones have Sync with AppLink, and the 2013/2014 EcoSport have only Sync, without AppLink.
So, the face-lifted EcoSport should have this feature then. But its not a big deal. I hardly ever make use of this.

And I am willing to trade this feature for the speed sensing door lock which is mysteriously absent in the Fiesta.

Quote:
What appears to have been done - based on my inference according to deetjohn's description - is that now pressing the button on a running car changes from II to I, and opening the door changes from I to O.
Yeah, that looks to be the case. Even Bluetooth telephony is linked to the driver's door. An active phone call through the audio system will become private (call switches from Sync to mobile phone without dropping the call) if one were to open the driver's door.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 13:27   #10660
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford India have put up this video on YouTube to demonstrate the dual seals (beadings) present on the doors of the EcoSport, that helps keep even more dirt out of the passenger compartment.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-fordecosport17.jpg

This was a point called out in Vidyut's review of the EcoSport also, and there too it was compared to the Duster, just like the video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
There's a rubber beading around the doors as well as the inside frame for better insulation. The Duster's single door beading was a grouse for many.
While this double beading is also present on the Endeavour, the Aspire and Figo only get a single beading present on the door frame (there's another half strip of beading on the top), while the door itself has no beading.
arunphilip is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 15:20   #10661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was a point called out in Vidyut's review of the EcoSport also, and there too it was compared to the Duster, just like the video.
I wonder why we don't see these videos on TV. I still think ford is not advertising its USP features aggressively.

BTW, it is ironical that the Duster is really attracted to dust.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 23:28   #10662
BHPian

To clarify, I just got my Ecosport last month. It's the Titanium TDCi model. Ownership thread's in the Assembly line. It has SYNC with Applink. Here's a pic.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-tbhp1.jpg

Quote:
It's not the same in the Ecosport. The only time the audio system does not turn off immediately when you press the Start button while on a call. Then it takes two-three seconds more to turn off. This issue is quite a nuisance, especially at longer traffic stoplights, especially if you stream music via BT from phone, since the phone also gets disconnected.

Quote:
Ford India have put up this video on YouTube to demonstrate the dual seals (beadings) present on the doors of the EcoSport, that helps keep even more dirt out of the passenger compartment.

While this double beading is also present on the Endeavour, the Aspire and Figo only get a single beading present on the door frame (there's another half strip of beading on the top), while the door itself has no beading.
The Ecosport has a water wading depth of 550mm vs 350mm for the Duster, which kind of requires that the sealing be excellent. I can attest to the fact that the doors are water tight, even when lazy folk like me use a pressure washer to clean off the dirt on the door sills with a high pressure washer.

The rear door is another matter though. I had issues with the electric rear door latch opening by itself after a pressure wash. I had to lock the rear hatch, jump in and press the lock button on the dash immediately to avoid the rear hatch opening by itself. Thankfully, the mechanism appeared to fix itself after I'd parked the car in hot sun for 2-3 hours. I'm guessing the moisture that shorted the switch dried off by then.

Last edited by vivekgk : 16th September 2016 at 23:41.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 23:57   #10663
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I would be going back to the service centre for the same issue 4th time in less than 6000 kms - Check Engine light.

In addition made 4 more trips in the same 6000 kms (48500-55000kms) These were to carry out
1) regular service,
2) to have rear suspension spring mounting rubber pads replaced,
3) to have front shock absorbers,
4) Suspension mount and Shock absorber bearings replaced, to have rear wheel arch and under bonnet carpet matting replaced.

So a total of 8 visits in last 6000 odd kms and 4 of these for the same unresolved issue.

Wonder if they have a loaner car available if I end up needing it today? They speak about this in the Brand Transformation announcement?

This just when I was contemplating swapping to an Endy 3.2 4x4 AT Titanium i.e. inspite of multiple issues related to Headlights, gearbox response etc. already having been posted. Have now already dropped that idea. (More on that another day) Heck may be 4 year old preowned German Lux badges would be as reliable or unreliable.

The EcoSport was fine overall till about 48000 kms but right now it is trying to compete with previous TATA and Skoda experiences.

Was informed earlier that they would need to keep the car with them for the check engine light. I do not find it acceptable without a loaner car as the car is in warranty and this is a manufacturing defect. I had asked them to directly replace the part that they have a doubt regarding O2 sensor... They said they can't do it and don't stock it either. They would spend 2-3 days eliminating faults.

I had earlier escalated this to ford and have earlier received a call from them. They have informed me that things would be smooth if this occurred again now it is EXAM time for ford tomorrow.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 10:22   #10664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
In addition made 4 more trips in the same 6000 kms (48500-55000kms) These were to carry out
1) regular service,
2) to have rear suspension spring mounting rubber pads replaced,
3) to have front shock absorbers,
4) Suspension mount and Shock absorber bearings replaced, to have rear wheel arch and under bonnet carpet matting replaced.
Could you please mention the expenses for the same as well.

Regarding the check engine light, I suggest you to do the OBD scan by yourself, might be of some help once you cross check with the service center.
Old 17th September 2016, 12:04   #10665
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Could you please mention the expenses for the same as well.

Regarding the check engine light, I suggest you to do the OBD scan by yourself, might be of some help once you cross check with the service center.
The suspension work for both front and rear together was about 25K. Which is reasonable but stuff like tie rods were not touched as they were found to be fine.

I have done my fair share of troubleshooting till the age of 40. Now I prefer it if the dealer studies and solves the issues.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed