Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2017, 12:25   #11041
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
I have 2016 December model automatic Ecosport. I don't see any knob to adjust the lumber support for driver seat.
Pl let me know how to adjust the lumber support.
The driver's seat will have a knob on the left of the backrest to adjust the lumbar support, as shown below:
Name:  EcoSport Lumbar Support.gif
Views: 7777
Size:  12.1 KB

Bear in mind that the lumbar support feature was removed from recent EcoSports, as described in this thread. Features removed from the current EcoSports are listed below, by trim:

I'm not sure if your EcoSport AT falls under this revision - do you have a storage bin below the passenger seat, or a driver's armrest? If you don't have those, then I'm afraid yours is one of these newer EcoSports that are missing a few features.

Last edited by arunphilip : 28th January 2017 at 12:36.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 21:33   #11042
VMG
BHPian

I have both storage bin under the seat and arm rest for driver but I do not find any knob to adjust lumber support.
Mine is 2016 model purchased on 10th December 2016.

I have put extra seat cover purchased from ford dealer. Is the seat cover, covering the knob?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th January 2017 at 21:36. Reason: merging posts. Pls. use the edit option when replying within 30mins. Thanks,
VMG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 22:42   #11043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
I have both storage bin under the seat and arm rest for driver but I do not find any knob to adjust lumber support. Mine is 2016 model purchased on 10th December 2016. I have put extra seat cover purchased from ford dealer. Is the seat cover, covering the knob?
OK, the good news is since you have the storage bin and armrest, it is not one of the newer EcoSport with some features deleted, and your confirmation of it being a 2016 make proves that

Good point about the seat covers - it does sound like the seat covers have covered the knob. This is where the knob is in relation to the armrest - see if you can feel it through the seat cover:
Either the seat cover is covering the knob, or it was removed during installation and was never reattached.

Also, bear in mind that since yours is an EcoSport AT, it comes equipped with 6 airbags, two of which (the side airbags) are in the sides of the seats. Are the seat covers that have been installed compatible with the side airbags? Airbag-compatible seat covers will have weakened stitching around the area of the airbag, to allow the airbag to tear through the seat cover during deployment.
Name:  20170128 2.gif
Views: 7465
Size:  11.6 KB

I'm slightly concerned because it sounds like your dealer goofed up while installing the seat covers (with respect to the lumbar support knob); and such a mistake does not give me much confidence that he has correctly offered airbag-compatible seat covers.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 12:47   #11044
VMG
BHPian

Thank you Arunphilip.
Finally I found the knob. I did not notice properly, hiding behind armrest.
VMG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 16:13   #11045
Distinguished - BHPian

A neat - albeit brief - video about how the EcoSport is manufactured. This video is from Ford's Russian plant. It covers the metal assembly, painting, interior/engine assembly and proving test.

Of course, it would be remiss of me to not mention the picture-laden TBHP threads that cover Ford's Chennai plant and Gujarat plant.
arunphilip is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 08:43   #11046
Senior - BHPian

I planned a trip to Mysore yesterday morning and decided to try a new route. It also gave me a chance to drive the Eco Sport on some real bad and narrow roads in the villages around Mandya. The vehicle again did its job as expected, no complaints and everything in this vehicle look made for me .
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 09:48   #11047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
A neat - albeit brief - video about how the EcoSport is manufactured. This video is from Ford's Russian plant. It covers the metal assembly, painting, interior/engine assembly and proving test.
[/url].
Thanks Arun for bringing back my memories at Chennai Ford Plant. Few points I could see and compare are

1. The workers are using lot of lifting tools(door, tyres) which i have not seen in my stint
2. Two workers were fitted with steel ropes and pulley system to their back(Ergonomics at Work place I suppose)
3. The test track is an open one in Chennai(Weather in Russia makes it Indoor I suppose)
4. The paint shop has few human interventions in painting some tight corners(may be edited out in the Video)
5. The marriage of Chassis and Engine was not seen in the video which is a fantastic piece of choreography to be seen
6. Stamping is also a pleasure to watch which was not seen in the Video

Thanks once again
Self Driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 20:42   #11048
BHPian

I checked the 2017 EcoSport in person and noticed the changes in top models too however price remain the same although with lower discount offers. The Platinum Edition display model expected anytime .
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:07   #11049
Team-BHP Support

Have any of you been able to update Sync to v5.9?

Every time I try to request the download, whether on Safari/Chrome on Mac or Chrome/IE on Windows, I get a pop-up saying ""Error: Your request has failed. Please request again."

When I look at "What's new in this update", I'm not that enthusiastic about getting/needing it.
Old 2nd February 2017, 22:58   #11050
BHPian

On my Ecosport TDCI Titanium+, one of the FM Radio station, always gets tuned to 95.05 instead of 95, though tuned and stored at 95.0 by system. Manually need to tune it back to 95 again and save.

Anyone thoughts why this is happening?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd February 2017 at 09:47. Reason: Tit > Titanium.
Old 3rd February 2017, 08:03   #11051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
On my Ecosport TDCI Tit+, one of the FM Radio station, always gets tuned to 95.05 instead of 95, though tuned and stored at 95.0 by system. Manually need to tune it back to 95 again and save.

Anyone thoughts why this is happening?
Maybe that is the right frequency . Do you see any change in audio quality?
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:54   #11052
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Have just completed 2500 kms on my Ecosport TDCi purchased on Dec 24, and I have the same issue as above. I am 5ft 6in, keep the seat at its highest position and my right hand / elbow just falls short of the door armrest. Quite the niggle on long drives.

On a different note I just did a trip to Idukki (for non-Malayali members that means steep inclines, hairpins and curvy roads) and I stalled the engine twice on two different inclines (both quite steep), both times in second gear. Revs were at around 1000 rpm both the times, however the vehicle was just not pulling. Coming from seven years of driving a NA 1.2 liter petrol engine (i10), I am wondering if its something to do with my driving style, as this has never happened before.
I did notice the same in many diesel vehicles including Innova & ecosport(bought last week 2016 August model-last 2016 stock with dealer) . Experts please comment.

Last edited by johnjojo08 : 3rd February 2017 at 10:57.
johnjojo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:12   #11053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
I stalled the engine twice on two different inclines (both quite steep), both times in second gear. Revs were at around 1000 rpm both the times, however the vehicle was just not pulling. Coming from seven years of driving a NA 1.2 liter petrol engine (i10), I am wondering if its something to do with my driving style, as this has never happened before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjojo08 View Post
I did notice the same in many diesel vehicles including Innova & ecosport(bought last week 2016 August model-last 2016 stock with dealer)
Well, 1000 rpm is barely above idle rpm, and a turbocharged engine (be it the diesel TDCi or petrol EcoBoost, or any turbocharged diesel/petrol engine) is well out of boost and is not making anywhere near its peak torque, to be able to pull.

The preferable thing to do is to downshift to a lower gear to ensure the RPMs automatically go higher for the same vehicle speed. So, when stalling in second gear at 1000 rpm, it means that using first gear the engine rpm will be over 1500 rpm for the same speed, which will allow the engine to deliver higher torque. A further bonus is that the higher engine torque will further be multiplied by the lower gearing of the first gear.

Of course, sometimes if you get stuck behind a slow-moving heavy vehicle at a steep stretch, the vehicle speed might be so low that even in first gear that the engine rpm drops below the boost range, and the slow-moving vehicle in front kills our vehicle momentum. Then, getting a move on will be difficult.

The only way around it is to rev the engine up to an RPM where it makes reasonable torque (over 1300 rpm for the diesel, over 1500 rpm for the EcoBoost). Of course, doing so will cause a bit of wheel spin if the clutch is released quickly, or will cause clutch heating if the clutch is released smoothly. Done right, this will not harm the life of the clutch too much. If you feel the vehicle is rolling back, use your handbrake to hold it (don't use the clutch for holding the vehicle, this will fry your clutch!)

A video of a car with the 1.3 Fiat MultiJet engine demonstrating this problem:

On the other hand, a naturally aspirated engine will have a progressive torque increase even at the lower rpms and can pull through. In such cases, the NA vehicle will easily take the lead while the turbocharged vehicle is building up boost, but once its within its sweet spot, the turbocharged vehicle will easily overtake the NA vehicle.

A very similar discussion was running on the S-Cross thread, where the same question was asked about the 1.6 DDiS engine - it makes loads of torque at 1800 rpm, but below that it struggles on very hilly terrain when compared to a naturally aspirated engine.

Last edited by arunphilip : 3rd February 2017 at 11:22. Reason: Added video, note about handbrake
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:17   #11054
Senior - BHPian

As Arun pointed out, maintain the rpm at least above 1600 value to keep turbo in action, else you are choking the engine with insufficient air quantity.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd February 2017 at 15:16. Reason: As requested!
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 20:39   #11055
BHPian

^^ also shut down the AC, roll down the windows and don't mind the roaring engine noise. Most people transitioning from petrol to diesels get cautious on hearing the engine strain during steep uphill climbs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks