Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2017, 13:12   #11101
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Does use of a steering wheel cover affect deployment of the driver side airbag in any way?
The driver's front airbag is embedded beneath the horn pad at the center of the steering wheel (area clumsily highlighted in red, below). As long as this area is unobstructed and not covered, there is no risk.
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-steering-ecosport_ink_li.jpg

A steering wheel cover typically covers the rim of the steering wheel (i.e. the part we hold), so such a cover is not going to cause any problem whatsoever.

On the topic of these covers, it is recommended you get a cover stitched on, rather than the after-market ones that are bought and fitted/tightened with a thread. Stitched covers fit better (closer) and are typically more comfortable than the other variety which are bulky and usually not comfortable in the long run.

Quote:
I have bought the fitting type for temporary use, till I get around to having one stiched on.
Good to hear that . Once you switch to the stitched-on one, it'll be good to hear your opinion of how much of a difference it made to you.

Last edited by arunphilip : 25th February 2017 at 13:36.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 13:32   #11102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
The driver's front airbag is embedded beneath the horn pad at the center of the steering wheel (area clumsily highlighted in red, below). As long as this area is unobstructed and not covered, there is no risk.
Thanks for the quick reply!!! I have bought the fitting type for temporary use, till I get around to having one stiched on.
Pequod is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 14:15   #11103
BHPian

Quote:
Does use of a steering wheel cover affect deployment of the driver side airbag in any way?
It won't. Because the air bag deploys from the center of the wheel (horn pad) and not the outer wheel where we hold it. However precaution should be taken that the cover is stitched without removing the steering wheel unit.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 14:44   #11104
Senior - BHPian

Please give feedback on your experience with Ford service here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ew-owners.html
Old 27th February 2017, 10:35   #11105
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2016 Titanium Plus TDCI Ecosport.
One of the issue I face with my car is tiny vibrations that seep into the cabin. After a long drive, I can feel my fingers and feet tingling, sometimes this also results in headaches.
I keep the speeds between 80-100Kmph, tyre pressures are at 32PSI all round.

Has anyone faced this issue. I don't feel the same on similar roads and distance in my brother's Honda City.

I am thinking of going in for damping and vibration control products from 3M.
Anyone has any experience with these?
3M-Vibration-Control-Tape

3M-Thinsulate-Acoustic-Insulation
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 11:19   #11106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
One of the issue I face with my car is tiny vibrations that seep into the cabin. After a long drive, I can feel my fingers and feet tingling, sometimes this also results in headaches.
Sorry to hear of this, things like this can really kill the enjoyment of a vehicle.

A few questions:
  1. Are you particularly sensitive to these sort of vibrations (e.g. in other cars other than your brother's City)? Or is it specific to the EcoSport, or your seating position?
  2. Also, does it occur on a specific road (between A and B) or a specific road surface (e.g. concrete)?
  3. Can you ask your brother to drive the EcoSport, or even better, another EcoSport owner, to see if they feel a difference?
  4. Have you tried going back to your dealer and driving their test-drive vehicle again to see if the problem happens there? Or a friend's EcoSport?
  5. Are your tyres the MRFs? Can you check the manufacturing date on it? It will be a 4-digit number in the format WWYY, where WW is the week number (1-52) and YY is the year. YY should be 15 or 16.
  6. Have you completed your regular 1st service (after 2500 kms) and possibly 2nd service (1 year/10,000 kms)?
Quote:
I am thinking of going in for damping and vibration control products from 3M.
As I recall, this is the first I've heard of this kind of a report for an EcoSport. If - and only if - this is due to your sensitivity would I recommend going in for products like these to dampen or reduce vibrations.

In any other case, I would say that these vibrations are a symptom of a problem; and its better to identify and solve the underlying problem rather than mask a symptom with these products, and allow it to evolve into something more (e.g. the vibrations might eventually lead to rattles in the cabin, or the vibrations might be indicative of something awry in the engine or drivetrain, like an improper mount).

Your car is in the manufacturer warranty, so do a couple of cross checks (drive another EcoSport, ask someone else to drive yours, etc.) and go back to your dealer and apply pressure on them.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 11:36   #11107
BHPian

For a few months now, I am noticing issues with the AC cooling in my Ecosport Titanium TDCi.

Earlier as well I have faced a similar issue and the Service Center guys changed the pollen filter. Post this, the air blast and cooling were excellent. However, the car was in hibernation for almost four months (Apr end-16 to Aug-16) and since then the cooling is not the same.

I have already spoken to the Service Center guys an they do not have a clue as to why this is recurring in an otherwise relatively new car (Just 35K on odo in around 3 years)

I am thinking of cleaning the pollen filter myself and see if that has any effect on cooling / blower throw.

Has someone got any inputs on where the pollen filter is located in Ecosport? Will be immensely helpful!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 11:47   #11108
Senior - BHPian

My answers in Bold
Quote:
Sorry to hear of this, things like this can really kill the enjoyment of a vehicle.

A few questions:
  1. Are you particularly sensitive to these sort of vibrations (e.g. in other cars other than your brother's City)? Or is it specific to the EcoSport, or your seating position?
    I think this is specific to Ecosport as I also drive the City in similar conditions and I don't feel this issue.
  2. Also, does it occur on a specific road (between A and B) or a specific road surface (e.g. concrete)?
    Ecosport is taken out only on Highways and 90% of the time between Bangalore and Mysore. This is a well laid tarmac with few kms of concrete roads on NECE Road.
  3. Can you ask your brother to drive the EcoSport, or even better, another EcoSport owner, to see if they feel a difference?
    Will try this
  4. Have you tried going back to your dealer and driving their test-drive vehicle again to see if the problem happens there? Or a friend's EcoSport?
    Will try this
  5. Are your tyres the MRFs? Can you check the manufacturing date on it? It will be a 4-digit number in the format WWYY, where WW is the week number (1-52) and YY is the year. YY should be 15 or 16.
    Tyres are Goodyear Assurance and manufactured in May 2016. I ensured I got Goodyear when I booked the car
  6. Have you completed your regular 1st service (after 2500 kms) and possibly 2nd service (1 year/10,000 kms)?
    Car has done close to 14K Kms in about 9 Months. First service is completed, no issues with rattling or any other problems
As I recall, this is the first I've heard of this kind of a report for an EcoSport. If - and only if - this is due to your sensitivity would I recommend going in for products like these to dampen or reduce vibrations.

In any other case, I would say that these vibrations are a symptom of a problem; and its better to identify and solve the underlying problem rather than mask a symptom with these products, and allow it to evolve into something more (e.g. the vibrations might eventually lead to rattles in the cabin, or the vibrations might be indicative of something awry in the engine or drivetrain, like an improper mount).

Your car is in the manufacturer warranty, so do a couple of cross checks (drive another EcoSport, ask someone else to drive yours, etc.) and go back to your dealer and apply pressure on them.
Even I am surprised with this.
I feel this is specific to my sensitivity as the car is superb to drive, no rattles, no squeaks. I shall do some more testing before going in for a tyre change/damping
Old 27th February 2017, 12:11   #11109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Has someone got any inputs on where the pollen filter is located in Ecosport?
The pollen filter is placed behind the lower-center part of the dashboard, and is accessed by removing the side panel on the right of the console (to the left of your left leg/clutch pedal). I've highlighted this in red below.
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-fordecosport07_ink_li.jpg

Prior to removing this red panel, you need to remove the bezel surrounding the gear lever (highlighted in blue). There's no need to remove the gear lever itself, just the bezel/boot that surrounds it.

Once those panels are removed if you look there, you'll see two metal pipes going into the side of the center console - these are the AC refrigerant pipes that come from the engine compartment through the firewall. Just below it there's a plastic cover secured by TORX screws, this is what holds the pollen filter.

To the mechanics who did this, they did it quite quickly and efficiently, although I think it would take longer for us!

On a different note - do you run your AC in recirculation mode, or outside air mode? In our dusty conditions in India, outside air mode is going to choke the pollen filter quite quickly, so best to stick to recirculation mode.

Another tip is to keep the cowl area (the black plastic at the bottom of the windshield on the outside, where the wipers are fitted) free of leaves, twigs and any other debris. Any of these might slip into the outside air intake (which are the slits in this cowl panel) and end up clogging the pollen filter.

If the service adviser (or if an outside mechanic) suggests permanently removing the pollen filter to solve the issue, do not take that advice. It will work fine in the short term, but in the longer term it will lead to far worse problems like evaporator rusting or leakage.

Quote:
Car has done close to 14K Kms in about 9 Months. First service is completed
If you've done 14k kms, then you're due for your second service too, aren't you? Its 10,000 kms or 1 year, whichever is sooner.

Since you have the Goodyear Assurance tyres, that should be fine, they're comfortable and grippy for stock tyres, and not as hard as the MRFs. As long as the wheels are balanced and properly aligned.

I notice you're in Bangalore. I've seen the Metro Ford service center in Lingarajpuram have a specific test route for NVH (noise, vibration, harshness). You might want to reach out to them once you've experimented with other drivers/cars.

Do keep us posted on the outcome of this, I'm sure it'll be of interest to other owners too.

Quote:
I mean the first proper service of 10K is completed.
Ah, ok, that's good to hear. Yeah, its a bit weird to call the 2500 km thing a "service" when its just a quick check.

Last edited by arunphilip : 27th February 2017 at 12:26.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 12:24   #11110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you've done 14k kms, then you're due for your second service too, aren't you? Its 10,000 kms or 1 year, whichever is sooner.

Since you have the Goodyear Assurance tyres, that should be fine, they're comfortable and grippy for stock tyres, and not as hard as the MRFs. As long as the wheels are balanced and properly aligned.

I notice you're in Bangalore. I've seen the Metro Ford service center in Lingarajpuram have a specific test route for NVH (noise, vibration, harshness). You might want to reach out to them once you've experimented with other drivers/cars.

Do keep us posted on the outcome of this, I'm sure it'll be of interest to other owners too.
I mean the first proper service of 10K is completed.

Alignment and balancing was done at 10K, no issues there as well.

I will try Metro ford's service centre once and have this checked out properly. Thanks for the inputs.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 12:48   #11111
BHPian

Quote:
The pollen filter is placed behind the lower-center part of the dashboard, and is accessed by removing the side panel on the right of the console (to the left of your left leg/clutch pedal.

To the mechanics who did this, they did it quite quickly and efficiently, although I think it would take longer for us!

On a different note - do you run your AC in recirculation mode, or outside air mode? In our dusty conditions in India, outside air mode is going to choke the pollen filter quite quickly, so best to stick to recirculation mode.

Another tip is to keep the cowl area (the black plastic at the bottom of the windshield on the outside, where the wipers are fitted) free of leaves, twigs and any other debris. Any of these might slip into the outside air intake (which are the slits in this cowl panel) and end up clogging the pollen filter.
Thanks @arunphilip. your reply was lightening fast!!

90% of the times, the AC is in recirculation mode. That ways, I feel the cabin gets cooler a bit faster.

I wash the car on my own and make it a point to clean the drain area near wipers.

I would try removing the bezel and plastic cladding myself. If in case I do not succeed then might visit an FNG instead of the Service Station. Let's see how it goes!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 13:31   #11112
Senior - BHPian

Is there a chance of the new Ecosport heading our way anytime soon?

The relevant thread is closed, hence posting here for any updates on the same.
Old 6th March 2017, 14:04   #11113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Is there a chance of the new Ecosport heading our way anytime soon? The relevant thread is closed, hence posting here for any updates on the same.
That's a million-dollar question. Or, given the pricing of the EcoSport, a million-rupee question!

Rumours say it should arrive for the 2017 festive season, but there's been no hints of it from Ford, just online speculation.

Given that Ford launched the Platinum edition EcoSport for 2017, we're not sure if that is meant to serve as a stopgap for the ~9 months to the festive season, or if it means we'll only get the proper facelift in 2018.

Also, you can keep abreast of the facelift on this thread which is still open - that also has a spotting of the facelifted EcoSport in India.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 14:44   #11114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a million-dollar question. Or, given the pricing of the EcoSport, a million-rupee question!

Rumours say it should arrive for the 2017 festive season, but there's been no hints of it from Ford, just online speculation.
I do wish Ford would also bring the Ecosport in its international avatar - ie over the 4 metre length. I understand that the China model is 4280 mm in length. While it would be out of the 4 metre loophole and hence push up prices to an extent, I'm sure that the extra size would be appreciated in our market particularly if it comes with enhanced features.
And like the Hyundai ix25 (I generally try and avoid using the other name for it), they could give it an India specific name (to be sold alongside the smaller Ecosport).
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 14:50   #11115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I do wish Ford would also bring the Ecosport in its international avatar - ie over the 4 metre length.
This will not serve any purpose.

The EcoSport is a good product, no doubt. But it is the price which plays a significant part in its success.

If it were 4m+, the price would shoot up and put it in Creta's territory.

1) We all know how well EcoSport started doing after then 1 lakh+ price cuts when Brezza was announced
2) Ford can't get away with the kind of arrogance Hyundai has in how they've priced the Creta

The compact SUV (and hence, price) is most probably the EcoSport's main USP.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed