Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2017, 00:08   #11131
BHPian

Has anybody bought the latest "PLATINUM " edition? I am planning to buy one & buyer's inputs will be helpful. Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 10:18   #11132
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Hi Guys ;

I got transferred from Bangalore to Rudrapur in Dec 2016 and hence got my bronze beauty here now I am doing to and fro from Haldwani to Rudrapur and I got a mileage of 22.21 kmpl in the last tank full to tank full method the MID was showing 24.3 kmpl , in this tank full the MID is showing 29.6 kmpl after 200 kms of drive , has anybody reported such figures of course the drive is very sedate no rush and calculative overtaking think this time should give me 25 plus kmpl..

Last edited by kkat : 18th March 2017 at 10:25. Reason: forgot to mention kms of drive
Old 19th March 2017, 18:28   #11133
Senior - BHPian

My Ecosport AT has completed 25000 kms. The past couple of days a brake malfunction message has been popping up intermittently when the ignition is turned on. Bhpian Murugan had earlier reported the (exact) same problem sometime ago with a pic. Posting the link -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-5-warning.jpg

Funnily enough this happened in his car after 25000 kms/two and a half years of ownership exactly like mine. In his case the Ford guys told him that it was a case of the battery getting a bit weak. I guess I'll head to the service centre in the coming week and check what they say.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 19:51   #11134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
My Ecosport AT has completed 25000 kms. The past couple of days a brake malfunction message has been popping up intermittently when the ignition is turned on.
Thank you for sharing this with us.

Quote:
Brake system malfunction
Stop safely
Do you normally crank the engine quickly after turning the ignition to the ON position, or do you crank it by turning the key all the way from OFF? If so, could you instead try this - turn the ignition to ON (i.e. OFF > ACC > ON), wait until the ABS light and some of the other lights (e.g. airbag) go off in the instrument cluster (this could take about 5 seconds), leaving behind only a few standard ones still lit up, and only then try cranking.

If the warning doesn't pop up at all during such a start, then the reason of a weakening battery sounds reasonable and accurate. In this case, it is not yet a cause for concern (or replacement of the battery). Its just that our modern cars are so infested with sensors that at start-up, a weaker battery might suddenly struggle with varying load (i.e. the starter sucking away a big chunk of current, at the same time various sensors are starting up for the first time, or running their self-tests).

You could wait until you actually hear or sense the hesitation during starting the car before you begin to consider changing the battery.

I often don't use my car for days at a stretch, so I make sure I space out activities before start-up (e.g. turn to accessories mode, wait for various whines from the fuel pump/climate control to stop, wait for the ABS/airbag lights to turn off, and only then fire the starter). One of those times when I was in a hurry I didn't wait, and had a momentary warning flash up about low oil pressure. Oil levels were quite normal, so I knew it was this same issue manifesting itself on my 3.5 year-old EcoSport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohintonw View Post
I did buy the Platinum Ford Ecosport and took delivery on March 11th.
Many congratulations on the Platinum edition. For a while I was wondering if no one had opted for it! !

Why don't you give us a few pictures of the new ICE with navigation, as well as your experience of actually using it in real life? Is the performance of the maps good, is it easy to search, etc.? Also, how do the 17" alloys feel, are you driving on good or broken roads?

Last edited by arunphilip : 19th March 2017 at 20:07.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 19:54   #11135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay89 View Post
Has anybody bought the latest "PLATINUM " edition? I am planning to buy one & buyer's inputs will be helpful. Thanks
Hello @akshay89, I did buy the Platinum Ford Ecosport and took delivery on March 11th. You can send me an email / PM me and I can let you know if you have any specific questions.
Based on most of the articles apart from the cosmetic changes and the 17" alloys there is not much difference from a ride perspective. As I had booked it in January when the car was announced I did not know the full feature list, but the Cool Glove compartment and the driver arm rest have been removed. Suggest to see the car as its available in show rooms on display before you go ahead and book.

Regards
Rohinton
rohintonw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 20:17   #11136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Thank you for sharing this with us.

Do you normally crank the engine quickly after turning the ignition to the ON position, or do you crank it by turning the key all the way from OFF? If so, could you instead try this - turn the ignition to ON (i.e. OFF > ACC > ON), wait until the ABS light and some of the other lights (e.g. airbag) go off in the instrument cluster (this could take about 5 seconds), leaving behind only a few standard ones still lit up, and only then try cranking.

If the warning doesn't pop up at all during such a start, then the reason of a weakening battery sounds reasonable and accurate. In this case, it is not yet a cause for concern (or replacement of the battery). Its just that our modern cars are so infested with sensors that at start-up, a weaker battery might suddenly struggle with varying load (i.e. the starter sucking away a big chunk of current, at the same time various sensors are starting up for the first time, or running their self-tests).

You could wait until you actually hear or sense the hesitation during starting the car before you begin to consider changing the battery.

I often don't use my car for days at a stretch, so I make sure I space out activities before start-up (e.g. turn to accessories mode, wait for various whines from the fuel pump/climate control to stop, wait for the ABS/airbag lights to turn off, and only then fire the starter). One of those times when I was in a hurry I didn't wait, and had a momentary warning flash up about low oil pressure. Oil levels were quite normal, so I knew it was this same issue manifesting itself on my 3.5 year-old EcoSport.
Thanks for those inputs.
I usually wait that 5 second stretch for the lights to go off before cranking.
And since there is no brake malfunction light remaining on and the brakes working normally, like you mentioned, I also suspected a sensor irregularity. The battery seems ok as well for now.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 02:00   #11137
BHPian

Have a 2016 Ecosport TDCI Titanium+ and want to share few recent experiences.

Experience 1:
while auto locking feature is a boon when we manually forget to lock the car after we park, but had a terrible experience couple of weeks back - I got locked out of the car with my keys inside (remote keys with start/stop button). Never knew this was even possible, but learnt it the hard way. My Apartment keys were inside the car as well and car spare key within the Apartment :( (deadlock)

I got down from the car (ignition turned off) while my wife was still inside the car (she was on a phone) and later got down after 5 minutes, thru the passenger door. After few minutes, the car auto locked even with the keys inside the car (the same doesn't happen when we get down from the driver's door - tested it and looks like the center locking is connected to the driver door and remains unlocked when we open the same).

While this happened within Hyderabad City (Hi tech city, Madhapur), called up Ford RSA and they tagged me with Mody Ford RSA. Spoke to them around 9:30 pm but help only arrived at about 1:30 am (4 hrs later - delayed by 2 hrs ETA) and the technician was drunk (although he was steady ).

He opened the bonnet from below (after removing the engine guard) and disconnected the battery. We then tried to use the key less door entry buttons to unlock, but no use. So finally, he used a screwdriver and inserted between the closed door and door beading on the A pillar to make some space to insert a flexible aluminium / steel rod / string (had converted the front into a fish hook). He was able to tag the fish hook into the door lever and pull it, thankfully it opened at 3 am in the morning.

This whole exercise did scrape off some of the paint and cause dents on the A pillar, but also made holes into the rubber beading on both upper (door) and lower side (A pillar). Also though the technician helped me out, was disappointed with his timing of arrival (within City) and overall experience with Ford RSA.

In the end, lesson learnt - always keep your keys within your pocket (remote keys) and have your apartment spare keys at your friends place (got this sorted the very next day).

Experience 2:
Got my 2nd service done a week back (10k kms @ 7 months after purchase) at Mody Ford - Hyderabad, Bowenpally. Took an appointment for 10 am and was expecting that those with appointments would get the car in returned early, but looks like they don't have any such system and just accept on 'first come first serve' basis (probably up to 40-50 cars per day) - so there was no point of booking an appointment and getting a slot. I was 15th car for the day that had arrived (totally had more than 40+ by end of day) and got my car returned only at 7:45 pm (which was very disappointing). While the wait was kind of okay, but whats frustrating is that I noticed below issues the next day after service:

1) Two of my alloy wheels (in black - from the black edition) are having scratches (literally has layers of alloy chipped off with big scratches). The front one has bad scratches (ugly looking) and rear one has minor. Another one at rear has similar minor scratches / alloy wheel chipped off damage, but seems like they covered it up with touch up work (painted) - so that I won't notice it (wonder why they didn't do the same with the other 2 wheels). Looks like this has happened during the wheel alignment, I must have missed it in the dark while taking the delivery.

Called up the SA and he says will talk to his manager and get back - but never gets back (over a week now) after multiple calls. I called up again, now he says to get the car over to the service station for some touch ups. The dealership is about 20+ kms from my place, so will have to go at my leisure for sorting out this mess with the ugly touch up's.

Note: on another note, I had purchased Ford TMP (3 years / 30k kms for Rs 24k during car purchase), so no charges to me (bill came to Rs. 3500 or so). i think my first service was also less than Rs. 400 or so (probably Rs. 350 on labor charges only).

2) Post my second service, the remote key less entry button on the passenger door is not working (only the driver side works), which used to work well previously.

I'm not sure if it was because of some sort of reset the technician's did after connecting their laptop to the OBD port post oil change (was informed that they wanted to reset the oil check indicator, that would appear after they perform oil change - didn't make any sense) or due to the battery disconnect that happened due to the car locking incident. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Eyas337 : 20th March 2017 at 02:18. Reason: spell check
Eyas337 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 10:39   #11138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
My Ecosport AT has completed 25000 kms. The past couple of days a brake malfunction message has been popping up intermittently when the ignition is turned on. --snip--
Funnily enough this happened in his car after 25000 kms/two and a half years of ownership exactly like mine. In his case the Ford guys told him that it was a case of the battery getting a bit weak. I guess I'll head to the service centre in the coming week and check what they say.

+1. I had a similar experience!

I had to leave my car untouched for over three months while I was away on an assignment. On my return, I could start the car and go till the fuel bunk, which is around a kilometer from my home. On trying to start it post the refuel, car refused to start and showed the Brake Failure message. Since the car did not start after cranking, I was pretty sure it was the battery at fault. This was confirmed by the After Sales the same day when I jump started the car and took it straight to the Service Center.

Since then, I am also facing an issue. Everyday on the first start, I get three beep sounds and no message on the display or any change in driving behavior of the car. The 40K service is due in a few day and will get it checked. Don't know if this is also related to the battery drain episode though.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 10:53   #11139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
I got down from the car (ignition turned off) while my wife was still inside the car (she was on a phone) and later got down after 5 minutes, thru the passenger door. After few minutes, the car auto locked even with the keys inside the car (the same doesn't happen when we get down from the driver's door - tested it and looks like the center locking is connected to the driver door and remains unlocked when we open the same).
Ouch, very annoying episode! And it has exposed a weird design/behaviour in the system. I've left a key inside and tried manually locking it from the touch sensor on the outside, and it never locked since it detected the key inside the car. It looks like Continental (who manufacture the keyless entry system) and Ford did not anticipate such a sequence of events and design around it. What's not good is that this scenario is not unusual or tricky, and can occur again to others.

Quote:
In the end, lesson learnt - always keep your keys within your pocket (remote keys)
In a discussion on the S-Cross thread where people where placing the key fob in different places, I asked a question why people felt the need to take the key fob out of the pocket in the first place. The point of keyless entry and push-button start meant that the key never has to leave ones pocket.

Maybe you could shed some light on why you were earlier removing the key fob? Was it comfort, habit, or something else?

Quote:
I had purchased Ford TMP (3 years / 30k kms for Rs 24k during car purchase), so no charges to me (bill came to Rs. 3500 or so). i think my first service was also less than Rs. 400 or so (probably Rs. 350 on labor charges only).
Very interesting - I think you're one of a minority who've gone in for TMP. What was your reasoning behind opting for it, given you anyway have warranty/EW, and regular maintenance tends to work out around Rs. 5000 per service?

Quote:
2) Post my second service, the remote key less entry button on the passenger door is not working (only the driver side works), which used to work well previously.

I'm not sure if it was because of some sort of reset the technician's did after connecting their laptop to the OBD port post oil change or due to the battery disconnect that happened due to the car locking incident.
The laptop connection business does a few things - it updates the ECU that a service has been completed (so the service reminder turns on only after the next 10k kms), it checks for any firmware updates for the PCM (powertrain control module), RCM (restraint control module) and the various other control modules. There is a small chance that this update might have resulted in some changed functionality.

However, if you say that the touch sensor worked fine for the week (or so) between the key locked episode, and your service, then it must be something that happened at the service. It could be software, or it could be some manner of damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Since then, I am also facing an issue. Everyday on the first start, I get three beep sounds and no message on the display or any change in driving behavior of the car. Don't know if this is also related to the battery drain episode though.
Its possible that some of the defaults that you set on the Sync screen were reset during the battery drain/jump start. Take a quick run through those menus and check (things like audible chimes for information messages, etc.)

Last edited by arunphilip : 20th March 2017 at 10:57.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 11:10   #11140
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning to finalize the pre-owned Ecosport which was manufactured in April 2014.
Have red some news\article about recall over faulty fuel pipes, rear twist beam bolt issue and excess oil consumption issue.

Any specific time period in which Ecosport batches had been dispatch having these problems ? Any specific thing to check ?

Got it verified through a Ford technician. According to him, the car is fine, except he is not sure if this car falls into that recalled batch category. He is still checking into it.

Any inputs will be really helpful.
Jaeger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 11:50   #11141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
I am planning to finalize the pre-owned Ecosport which was manufactured in April 2014. Have red some news\article about recall over faulty fuel pipes, rear twist beam bolt issue and excess oil consumption issue. Any specific time period in which Ecosport batches had been dispatch having these problems ?
Congratulations on considering a pre-owned EcoSport, and we wish you the best as you finalize your decision.

Get the VIN of the EcoSport, and check it at Ford's Field Service Action tool: https://www.india.ford.com/owner/field-service-actions/. If there are any outstanding or pending recalls, it will be shown here. However, recalls that were already addressed (i.e. resolved) will not be shown here.

A brief (and likely incomplete) summary of recalls would be:
  1. Brake/fuel line clip issue - affected only diesel EcoSports manufactured between April 2013 and June 2014 (this is probably applicable to yours!)
  2. Rear twist-beam RTB bolt - all EcoSports between November 2013 and April 2014 (this is probably applicable to yours!)
  3. Position of glow plug module - affected only diesel EcoSports manufactured in the first few batches of 2013 (before July 2013 I think)
  4. Fuel pipe corrosion issue - affected only the EcoBoosts manufactured anytime in 2013
  5. RCM wiring issue - affected only the 6-airbag variants manufactured anytime in 2013
  6. 60/40 backrest issue - all EcoSports between January 2016 and February 2016 equipped with split rear seats.
  7. I'm not sure if there was a specific recall issued for the oil consumption you mentioned - do you have any detail about this?

Things to check for
I'm sure you're already looking at this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html

Apart from that:
  • Check the battery health (ask the Ford ASC to give you a battery report printout)
  • Check the condition of the tyres - if its running the stock MRF or Goodyear Assurance, you might want to change the tyres after purchasing it
  • As the EcoSport is nearing the 3 year mark, these are things that might require replacement if required (hence factor that into your negotiation as required).
  • Check the AC cooling efficiency and throw. If there is a problem here, don't accept "AC gas low, or filter clogged" as an excuse until it has been checked by an AC technician.
  • Given below is the periodic service schedule for an EcoSport. For a 3 year-old car that's run less than 30,000 kms, the only replacement required will be the fuel filter at the 3-year service. Of course, if it has run more than 30,000 kms then check the equivalent columns below to confirm the required replacements have been completed. (e.g. the brake fluid is to be replaced every 20,000 kms).

Name:  Ford EcoSport PMS Schedule  Page 1.gif
Views: 5875
Size:  79.3 KB
Name:  Ford EcoSport PMS Schedule  Page 2.gif
Views: 5567
Size:  75.3 KB
Name:  Ford EcoSport PMS Schedule  Page 3.gif
Views: 6043
Size:  71.6 KB

Last edited by arunphilip : 20th March 2017 at 12:00.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 13:11   #11142
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on considering a pre-owned EcoSport, and we wish you the best as you finalize your decision.
======[*]I'm not sure if there was a specific recall issued for the oil consumption you mentioned - do you have any detail about this? [/list]
Thanks @arunphilip for the detailed information.

I did check the VIN on the given URL, but seems like URL is not working, It says "Something went wrong with the service. Please check again later". will keep on checking.

Meanwhile, I just learned that the dealer who has this Ecosport is clearly cheating. As per him, the car has completed 67K run from June 2014 with no major repair work. However, I checked with YZ Ford ASC Aurangabad, where the car is regularly serviced, they said the car is recently serviced on 28 Jan 2017 with 111k on odometer . The lady on the call also mentioned that complete engine has been replaced because of this oil consumption issue.
here are the reference link for the same issue reported by fellow BHPian's

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3939032

I wonder, why these dealers do such trick to cheat customers ? Aren't they aware that most people do verify the service history of the car before buying.
Jaeger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 13:30   #11143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Meanwhile, I just learned that the dealer who has this Ecosport is clearly cheating. As per him, the car has completed 67K run from June 2014 with no major repair work. However, I checked with YZ Ford ASC Aurangabad, where the car is regularly serviced, they said the car is recently serviced on 28 Jan 2017 with 111k on odometer . The lady on the call also mentioned that complete engine has been replaced because of this oil consumption issue.
Wow; your thoroughness in checking the car's history seems to have paid off. Worse, this isn't a one-off incident; withholding repair history and dialing back the odo is a fairly common practice. A good resale value for the car almost always come in the way of morality.

This dealer isn't a Ford A.S.S., I assume. If so, take it up with Ford. Either way, good luck with the search!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 20th March 2017 at 13:32.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 13:35   #11144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did check the VIN on the given URL, but seems like URL is not working.
Do you mind sharing the VIN of this EcoSport, its colour and variant? If anything, it might help others on the forum avoid it.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I just learned that the dealer who has this Ecosport is clearly cheating. As per him, the car has completed 67K run from June 2014 with no major repair work. However, I checked with YZ Ford ASC Aurangabad, where the car is regularly serviced, they said the car is recently serviced on 28 Jan 2017 with 111k on odometer. The lady on the call also mentioned that complete engine has been replaced because of this oil consumption issue.
That sucks. The engine replacement explanation sounds odd - the post you linked to and other discussions after that all refer to replacing only parts of the engine (e.g. top half, pistons, etc.). So a complete engine replacement seems odd - although it could just be the way a non-technical person (the person you spoke to) thinks of it.

To me - the only way to deal with dishonest dealers is to vote with your wallet. Since this dealer lied, in your shoes, I would walk away.

Also, given that high a mileage, you should probably avoid it. Consider it only if the deal is really good, and its not your primary car.

Last edited by arunphilip : 20th March 2017 at 13:37.
Old 20th March 2017, 14:26   #11145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Wow; your thoroughness in checking the car's history seems to have paid off. Worse, this isn't a one-off incident; withholding repair history and dialing back the odo is a fairly common practice. A good resale value for the car almost always come in the way of morality.

This dealer isn't a Ford A.S.S., I assume. If so, take it up with Ford. Either way, good luck with the search!
Indeed! I've been looking for a pre-owned car for a while, In the first few instances itself I realized that you cannot completely trust the seller, Even I came across some individual owners doing this cheap tricks.

Quote:
Do you mind sharing the VIN of this EcoSport, its colour and variant? If anything, it might help others on the forum avoid it.
I don't think it would be fair to share VIN of someone else's car on a public forum, but I can share the classified link.

Quote:
That sucks. The engine replacement explanation sounds odd - the post you linked to and other discussions after that all refer to replacing only parts of the engine (e.g. top half, pistons, etc.). So a complete engine replacement seems odd - although it could just be the way a non-technical person (the person you spoke to) thinks of it.

To me - the only way to deal with dishonest dealers is to vote with your wallet. Since this dealer lied, in your shoes, I would walk away.

Also, given that high a mileage, you should probably avoid it. Consider it only if the deal is really good, and its not your primary car.
Quite possible, the lady I spoke to is customer service attendant, She might not be having complete idea of the repair work the engine has gone through.
Jaeger is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed