Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 19:17   #11146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
Indeed! I've been looking for a pre-owned car for a while, In the first few instances itself I realized that you cannot completely trust the seller, Even I came across some individual owners doing this cheap tricks.
Makes for bad reading alright. Good that you've been vigilant.
How easy is it to fiddle around with the odo in these cars I wonder.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 01:01   #11147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I've left a key inside and tried manually locking it from the touch sensor on the outside, and it never locked since it detected the key inside the car. It looks like Continental (who manufacture the keyless entry system) and Ford did not anticipate such a sequence of events and design around it. What's not good is that this scenario is not unusual or tricky, and can occur again to others.
Correct, it doesn't lock it in your described scenario.

Also with the car running (ignition on), if you want to park it for couple of minutes (to run an errand leaving the AC ON during hot summer) and try locking the car with the remote key from outside -> it doesn't lock either. I was told by Ford SA that you can only lock using the manual key by inserting into the door handle slot and locking the car (not sure why this weird design). Cant think of doing it by removing the manual key out of the key fob, instead just switch of the ignition and remote lock it (or use the door key less entry button).

Quote:
I asked a question why people felt the need to take the key fob out of the pocket in the first place. The point of keyless entry and push-button start meant that the key never has to leave ones pocket.

Maybe you could shed some light on why you were earlier removing the key fob? Was it comfort, habit, or something else?
Just for the comfort part of not having it in my pockets / jeans while driving. Usually place it around the gear lever, but not anymore

Quote:
Very interesting - I think you're one of a minority who've gone in for TMP. What was your reasoning behind opting for it, given you anyway have warranty/EW, and regular maintenance tends to work out around Rs. 5000 per service?
TMP covers consumables and labor charges (except tires) as well, which aren't covered under Extended Warranty (I do have 4 years EW upto 80 or 100k kms - not very sure on kms here). Below were my calculations for best case scenarios (and I could be wrong with the amounts):

a) Rs 500 -1st service (3k kms)
b) Rs 3,500 - 2nd service (10k kms)
c) Rs 7,000 - 3rd service (20k kms)
d) Rs 10,000 - 4th service (30k kms)

Above would total up to Rs 21k and i paid about Rs 24k (Rs 3k extra for additional peace of mind, accounting for any drastic changes in labor charges and other unexpected issues / charges).

Also I didn't anticipate to do 10k kms in less than a year (in 7 months). Thought would be around 5-6k kms at the max by end of 1st year.

Quote:
The laptop connection business does a few things - it updates the ECU that a service has been completed (so the service reminder turns on only after the next 10k kms), it checks for any firmware updates for the PCM (powertrain control module), RCM (restraint control module) and the various other control modules. There is a small chance that this update might have resulted in some changed functionality.

However, if you say that the touch sensor worked fine for the week (or so) between the key locked episode, and your service, then it must be something that happened at the service. It could be software, or it could be some manner of damage.
Thanks for above update, was wondering what reset they need to do for oil change, now it makes sense to reset the service check reminder for 10k.

Yes the passenger door sensor was actually working fine post the key locking episode, as I now remember testing for the same. Must be something post the 2nd service, need to check with Ford SA

Last edited by Eyas337 : 21st March 2017 at 01:08. Reason: corrected typos
Eyas337 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 02:00   #11148
BHPian

Just came back from a fourth long trip on my Ecosport. Total Distance - 987 KM in 2 days (Saturday and Sunday). Mix roads - Highway, Mountainous roads and country roads.
  • Hard seats tend to give sore bums.
  • Driving it on Himalayas is a pleasure.
  • Due to long second gear, almost 80% of mountain ride was on 2nd gear - speeds averaging 30-55/60 kmph
  • Suspension has softened post 25k kms, as i didn't bounce around a lot on low speeds also rough patches were carpeted at high speed. No idea if it will damage suspension in the long run.

While climbing from Kumarhatti to Barog felt the car was a bit choking, immediately got it checked at Saluja Ford in Solan (Himachal Pradesh) and found the air filter to be chocked and gone black, changed it to new one and it started flying again . Also got the Cabin filter replaced and all doors tightened (around the locks) for constant rattling noise that was present for the last 3-4k KMS. Now its silent again. Total Cost - 900 Rs.

Fuel Average Stats : 987 KM (500 Highway, 400 Mountainous roads, 87KM Country roads) , Fuel Used = (47.5 Litres) = 20.78 KM/Ltr. And it was a very
Average Speeds -
Highway - 100/110
Mountains - 40
Country - 60

Last edited by BB311 : 21st March 2017 at 02:01. Reason: added a point
BB311 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 20:17   #11149
BHPian

Anybody have an idea if the headrest are removable in the AT version, tried removing it to fix the wooden bead seat rests, could only raise it to 3 notches.
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:46   #11150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanScorpio View Post
Anybody have an idea if the headrest are removable in the AT version, tried removing it to fix the wooden bead seat rests, could only raise it to 3 notches.
Just use a paper clip or a sim removing tool to press and release the lock, present in a pin-hole, on the side of one of the base holes,(one with the butten), in the seat where the stalks of the headrest go.
gsratta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 21:29   #11151
BHPian

Updates from today's Ford Service center visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
Experience 1:
I got locked out of the car with my keys inside (remote keys with start/stop button). Never knew this was even possible, but learnt it the hard way.
Ford Service center also never knew this would happen and they were not very keen either in reporting this to Ford. SA mentions that mine is the first car reporting this issue at their service station since launch of Ecosport

Quote:
Experience 2:
I noticed below issues the next day after service:
Quote:
1) Two of my alloy wheels (in black - from the black edition) are having scratches (literally has layers of alloy chipped off with big scratches).
Ford Service center did some paint touch up work on my damaged alloys (just noticed the entire damaged area isn't covered and need to get it corrected again during my next week visit. Probably should have checked the wheel thoroughly by moving the car few inches forward, from all angles)

Quote:
2) Post my second service, the remote key less entry button on the passenger door is not working (only the driver side works), which used to work well previously.
Initially they updated all the software in the car to check if it solves the issue - no luck.

Then completely stripped down the passenger door naked along with the wiring and speaker. Connected another door handle (guess they had a spare) to test if the issue was with the sensor or wiring. The spare door handle didn't work and then they tested the wiring, which was the actual issue. SA mentioned that the entire left side door wiring (comes in as a bundled part) needs to be replaced and the same needs to be ordered (will take 4 business days). Again, SA mentions that mine is the first car reporting this issue at their service station since launch of Ecosport (not something I got to be proud of)

So they fixed back the door and the wiring, mentioned would be calling me once the part arrives & warranty should be covering everything.
Next week, same door stripping exercise needs to be repeated and I've to spend another weekend at Ford Service station

Last edited by Eyas337 : 25th March 2017 at 21:32. Reason: corrected typos
Eyas337 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 22:22   #11152
Senior - BHPian

News of 3 Ecosports catching fire in South Africa over the past few months:

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/motor...ca-report.html

I think those are not made in India, as they are referring to 1.6 Ecoboost in the news clipping.
Old 27th March 2017, 10:14   #11153
BHPian

Does anybody knows the turbo boost pressure of the 1.5tdci ? I have remapped my EcoSport and while doing that saw the boost is less. 17. Someone told me it should be 21.

I am guessing leak.
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 08:30   #11154
Senior - BHPian

Been getting some persistent calls from the Ford service centre enticing me to take up their free check up offer of Rs.450/-. The check up would include topping up of the various fluids, battery performance check etc. No cleaning though.
My car is due for the 30 K service (29 K in my case) only in August - it is closing in on 25000 kms currently.
I don't think it is worthwhile.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 02:50   #11155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Been getting some persistent calls from the Ford service centre enticing me to take up their free check up offer of Rs.450/-. The check up would include topping up of the various fluids, battery performance check etc. No cleaning though.
My car is due for the 30 K service (29 K in my case) only in August - it is closing in on 25000 kms currently.
I don't think it is worthwhile.
Looks more like the first service @ 3000 kms / 6 months one.

Usually, one can get these done prior to going on any long trips, if your car's odometer reading happens to be in between the service intervals. Since your's is also mid way there, recommend to just get that done.

Just check on how much additional for the exterior / interior cleaning included as well, and make a call.
Eyas337 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 00:32   #11156
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd April 2017 at 07:25.
Old 2nd April 2017, 15:01   #11157
BHPian

Got my Ecoboost serviced as part of the 3 years/30000 kms service interval even though the car has done just 20600 kms!! Was supposed to get this done by November 2016 but deferred it due to low running. Service was done at Metro Ford Lingarajapuram.

The total bill was Rs 4700/- and this was inclusive of AC filter and air filter replacement though it was not mandatory.

The high mount stop lamp was not glowing and was replaced under warranty Also got the reverse camera wiring fixed as it would act glitchy and not turn on at times.

During the final review with the SA, he told me that the water pump was weak and there was moisture collection and required to replaced although no leak was there. The part was not in stock and will be available within a week.

Has anyone else faced this issue on water pump failing at such early stages of ownership?
srinath34 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 18:57   #11158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Got my Ecoboost serviced as part of the 3 years/30000 kms service interval even though the car has done just 20600 kms!!
=======
During the final review with the SA, he told me that the water pump was weak and there was moisture collection and required to replaced although no leak was there. The part was not in stock and will be available within a week.

Has anyone else faced this issue on water pump failing at such early stages of ownership?
When a two wheeler hit my car from the front, even though there was no visible damage, the water pump had broken. It cost me 1800. Other than that no issues.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th April 2017 at 17:20. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 5th April 2017, 20:40   #11159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
My Ecosport AT has completed 25000 kms. The past couple of days a brake malfunction message has been popping up intermittently when the ignition is turned on. Bhpian Murugan had earlier reported the (exact) same problem sometime ago with a pic. Posting the link -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-5-warning.jpg

Funnily enough this happened in his car after 25000 kms/two and a half years of ownership exactly like mine. In his case the Ford guys told him that it was a case of the battery getting a bit weak. I guess I'll head to the service centre in the coming week and check what they say.
Did this get resolved? For the past few days, I too am getting this message intermittently when I start the car. Goes away in a second, and no issues after that. I had my 4 year/40K service done last month and the battery was reported to be good.

ps: In fact, funnily, I had got a flashing ESC Off icon in the instrument cluster during the few days after the service. Similar to this brake malfunction warning, it flashes for a couple of seconds along with a similar chime and goes away. Eventually, I went into settings, turned TCS off, turned back on, and the flashing icon never returned. Dunno whether it is anything related.
Old 5th April 2017, 21:28   #11160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Did this get resolved? For the past few days, I too am getting this message intermittently when I start the car. Goes away in a second, and no issues after that. I had my 4 year/40K service done last month and the battery was reported to be good.
While it has not gone away completely- just a very occasional flash of the warning - it doesn't seem to be anything serious but a sensor acting up.
The brakes are quite ok.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th April 2017 at 17:21. Reason: Fixed quotes
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed