Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2017, 09:58   #11161
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
While it has not gone away completely- just a very occasional flash of the warning - it doesn't seem to be anything serious but a sensor acting up.
The brakes are quite ok.
Thanks. My warranty expires in July, so I'd like it to be sorted out before that. Anyway I will wait and watch.
Old 6th April 2017, 10:21   #11162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Its possible that some of the defaults that you set on the Sync screen were reset during the battery drain/jump start. Take a quick run through those menus and check (things like audible chimes for information messages, etc.)
Thanks Arun, appreciate your inputs!

So, finally the 40K servicing is done. Seems the reason for those three beeps is coming out more clearly now.

I have started to notice that the oil lamp in the cluster stays on for a longer duration than expected. I also noticed a warning on the screen, which I could not read as it vanished in less than a second. But I am pretty sure, there was some message. Is this something that will show up on the OBD scanner?

The issue of three beeps happens only at the first start of the day, if the car is parked for a couple of days at stretch. Else everything works as expected.

I hope, this has nothing to do with Oil pressure / Oil levels (which I am going to check once I am back home today.)
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 10:46   #11163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I have started to notice that the oil lamp in the cluster stays on for a longer duration than expected. I also noticed a warning on the screen, which I could not read as it vanished in less than a second.

The issue of three beeps happens only at the first start of the day, if the car is parked for a couple of days at stretch.

I hope, this has nothing to do with Oil pressure / Oil levels (which I am going to check once I am back home today.)
Your guess is right, it is highly likely that the warning is to do with low oil pressure. That said, its not something to be concerned about:
  1. It stays on only momentarily, indicating it is a transient issue (i.e. the sensor is giving the alert before the oil pump reaches normal operating speed). If it were a true problem, the message would stay on the screen for 5-15 seconds (as shown by a progress bar at the bottom of the screen).
  2. It occurs only when the car has been at a standstill for a while - again indicating that the oil has settled to the bottom of the sump.
  3. Your servicing would have covered checking oil levels and performing an oil replacement, so it is unlikely that your oil levels are low, or that your oil circuit is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Since this has started to happen recently, I am trying to understand what has changed and why the beep issue / Oil lamp issue was not there earlier. Something must have changed. I am still thinking, can it be a sign of a dying battery maybe? Though the service center has given the battery a green signal, I wish to get it checked at an independent store as well.
Its usually an early indication of a weakening battery. The vehicle being at a standstill for some time, combined with the significant load that starting puts on the battery often results in voltage fluctuations. Now, usually such fluctuations will be within limits, but sometimes they get quite close to a "signal" value for a sensor.

Look at it like this - the oil pressure sensor would send a signal of 9V if the oil pressure is low, and 12+V if the oil pressure is normal (I'm just guessing the values, but its usually something like this). Under normal conditions, when starting a car, the 12V battery voltage will dip to ~9.5V. But if the battery is weaker, it may dip below ~9.5V and go closer to 9V, which the ECU will misinterpret as a low oil pressure value flagging up that warning. By the time the message flashes up, the car has started, and the alternator will have boosted the voltage right back up to 14V, meaning the oil pressure sensor will now be returning a true voltage representing the oil pressure. Since your oil level is normal, that will be 12V and the ECU will turn off the warning.

Now, this is just an early indication of an ageing battery. You should consider replacing the battery only if you notice more conventional signs (e.g. sluggish/lethargic engine starting), or if you intend to go somewhere where roadside assistance might not be easily available, or if someone unfamiliar with cars is using it (e.g. mum, wife, etc. whom you don't want hassled by an ageing battery). Also, your driving patterns will influence how long the battery lasts - frequent short trips (i.e. lots of engine starts vs. kms covered) will age a battery quicker than long runs.

Also, always happy to help others with bits of knowledge I've picked up.

Last edited by arunphilip : 6th April 2017 at 11:05.
arunphilip is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 10:55   #11164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Your guess is right, it is highly likely that the warning is to do with low oil pressure. That said, its not something to be concerned about:
  1. It stays on only momentarily, indicating it is a transient issue (i.e. the sensor is giving the alert before the oil pump reaches normal operating speed). If it were a true problem, the message would stay on the screen for 5-15 seconds (as shown by a progress bar at the bottom of the screen).
  2. It occurs only when the car has been at a standstill for a while - again indicating that the oil has settled to the bottom of the sump.
  3. Your servicing would have covered checking oil levels and performing an oil replacement, so it is unlikely that your oil levels are low, or that your oil circuit is
I am amazed at how quickly you reply to any question! Can't thank you enough!!

Your above points do make sense to me and also give a lot of confidence! Thanks for that!

Since this has started to happen recently, I am trying to understand what has changed and why the beep issue / Oil lamp issue was not there earlier. Something must have changed. I am still thinking, can it be a sign of a dying battery maybe? Though the service center has given the battery a green signal, I wish to get it checked at an independent store as well.
Old 7th April 2017, 15:12   #11165
BHPian

My dad is looking for an MUV in the price range that has this beautiful car. I am a huge fan of it and having driven one, I can say that it is one car that I recommend. I had a rented Ecosport here in Germany. It came with the "5 times in a row, international engine of the year" 1l 3cyl EcoBoost engine. My god what an engine it was.

My mum, however, feels that the boot of this car is too small to carry 4 people and luggage for a couple of weeks travel. I am not really buying that, but I can't help but observe the space between the rear seat and the back door from outside, and think, isn't that a bit too small?

Can any of the Ecosport owners give a feedback on this? Is the boot space really sufficient for the luggage needs of four people who are planning for a couple of weeks of vacation?

Source:
Wikipedia
Engine Builder Mag
Old 7th April 2017, 15:39   #11166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaidhiR View Post

Can any of the Ecosport owners give a feedback on this? Is the boot space really sufficient for the luggage needs of four people who are planning for a couple of weeks of vacation?

Source:
Wikipedia
Engine Builder Mag
Depends on how light or heavy the packing habits are.
Yes it is a tad small - for 4 people carrying 4 large suitcases plus extras.
I'm attaching a pic of the maximum I had to carry - for 5 adults (a week plus) - and 2 of them were 'heavy' travellers. Would not recommend travelling like that though since it blocks the rear view.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-imag0691.jpg  

wilful is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 15:39   #11167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My mum, however, feels that the boot of this car is too small to carry 4 people and luggage for a couple of weeks travel. I am not really buying that, but I can't help but observe the space between the rear seat and the back door from outside, and think, isn't that a bit too small?
Absolutely.

I regularly travel with four on board and three-four cabin bags. No problem whatsoever. A check-in bag and two cabin bags can fit it as well.

The only challenge EcoSport has, is that three adults at the back isn't fun.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 15:54   #11168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As a backup, you can add a roof rack to the Ecosport ( I have seen several Ecosports with Roof racks here) and it looks pretty fine with it on. Adding a roof rack will give you flexibility to put 2-3 large bags more on the roof rack.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th April 2017 at 17:19. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 16:17   #11169
BHPian

Quote:
I have travelled quite a few times with five on-board with their respective luggage for anywhere between 4 days to a week and a half. Never had trouble fitting in the luggage. You just need to be careful while arranging it. I always make it a point that my rear view is not blocked.

A few days back one of my friends had come down from US with his wife and a kid and had a LOT of luggage. I mean the international sized travel bags and cabin luggage and what not.

I could easily fold down 40% rear seat and there was enough space to fit everyone and everything in the car!
Old 7th April 2017, 16:28   #11170
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your immediate replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Depends on how light or heavy the packing habits are.
Yes it is a tad small - for 4 people carrying 4 large suitcases plus extras.
I'm attaching a pic of the maximum I had to carry - for 5 adults (a week plus) - and 2 of them were 'heavy' travellers. Would not recommend travelling like that though since it blocks the rear view.
Of course, safety would play a very vital role knowing how much of a defensive driver my big man really is. I doubt he would allow anything that would even remotely block half of the rear view. But I doubt they would be packing up the boot so much. And as Behemoth put it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Adding a roof rack will give you flexibility to put 2-3 large bags more on the roof rack.
... that's always an option of having a car with the roof rack rails. I can try selling this point to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Absolutely.
The only challenge EcoSport has, is that three adults at the back isn't fun.
I see myself agreeing vociferously with this. It's not the best place for three adults. I don't understand how does an MUV like Ecosport faces this problem, but the Opel Corsa (I developed the rear seat on the next-gen Opel's global SUV platform), three adults are able to sit with relative ease. It's not cramped as the Ecosport but if I am an adult and had to share the rear seat with two other adults, I would rather do it in an Opel, than an Ecosport. But yeah. I doubt the rear seat is going to be packed with three people.
Old 8th April 2017, 09:52   #11171
BHPian

Have completed 6700 kms on my diesel Ecosport. Is this the right time to go for alignment and rotation? And what is the rotation pattern?
Old 8th April 2017, 10:15   #11172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Have completed 6700 kms on my diesel Ecosport. Is this the right time to go for alignment and rotation? And what is the rotation pattern?
Depending on where you drive; if the roads are decently good (or bad), you can get the alignment/balancing done at 10k. If you drive through really bad roads, you can get it done now.

4/5 tyre rotation depends on you (and is generally subjective; I've generally done a 5 tyre rotation on all my cars).

Front two get back, rear two go front with the spare coming in one of the two.

Ford recommends the same:

Name:  Tyre.png
Views: 4205
Size:  58.1 KB

Source: Ford EcoSport manual

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th April 2017 at 10:16.
Old 8th April 2017, 10:37   #11173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Depending on where you drive;
Thanks for the reply!!
I am confused with the picture in my manual which is attached. It's different form the one you have shown, and I guess it means to replace the rear tyres with the front and swap the rear ones to opposite sides on the front. Right? And this is 4 tyre rotation I think?
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_0016.jpg  

Old 8th April 2017, 11:12   #11174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Thanks for the reply!!
I am confused with the picture in my manual which is attached. It's different form the one you have shown, and I guess it means to replace the rear tyres with the front and swap the rear ones to opposite sides on the front. Right? And this is 4 tyre rotation I think?
Yes, your manual shows a 4-tyre rotation; and, swapping the rear tyres when they go to the front.

I prefer a 5-tyre rotation, especially when all 5 are alloy wheels, so that I can use the spare wheel full-time when necessary. A 5-tyre rotation ensures all 5 tyres have a near about tread (as opposed to the spare wheel being completely "new" and unused in a four-tyre rotation).
Old 9th April 2017, 08:27   #11175
BHPian

Tyre replacement

My Goodyear tyres have done 60000 Km. The tyres are still ok, but at 60k service, the service guys advised to replace them as I started to get steering vibration at 100kmph.
Is it ok to get them replaced from a shop and not Ford Service?
I am asking this because owners have written here in the early posts, that the wheel nuts get damaged unless they are removed at a Ford Workshop.
The wheels have never been removed by an outsider so far. I got my first of five punctures only after 50000 km and in all cases I was lucky to be near a roadside repair guy and there was no need to remove the wheel.
The option , then, would be to buy the tyres and take them to the workshop for fitting.
Will be most likely going for Michelin based on experience of my colleagues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks