Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2017, 01:50   #11191
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
When I parked my car (2013 Ecosport) yesterday evening, I could hear a whining noise coming from the engine compartment with the engine off but the ignition on. With ignition off there was no noise. When I opened the hood with ignition on, the noise seemed to be coming from a box right next to the battery. Can someone tell me what this might be ? Got this today morning also when I parked in the office basement. Wasn't there in the morning when the car was cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
So it turns out the sound is coming from the headlight motor. Getting it replaced under (extended) warranty. Hoping that'll fix the problem.
I'm not sure why the headlight motor would be making this noise (technically its not even switched during the day?).
Also isn't it only meant to move the lights up or down (like a leveler?)

I'm facing some what similar issue, but with the engine ON and car in idle.

On my 8 month old Ecosport TDCI, after driving for a while (say at least 20-30 mins) and while parking the car -> I hear a loud whining noise (apart from the usual engine sound) coming in from the engine bay with engine ON and car in idle (with AC ON). More like a pressure cooker whistle and it repeats twice or thrice after short intervals (say a minute or two) and then goes off. I'm not sure if this is due to the current hot conditions in Hyderabad and with AC ON (temperature set to 22.5 and in AUTO mode), getting to hear this sound.

Back while in USA, had a similar issue with my VW Jetta -> post inspection was determined to be a faulty alternator and weak battery. I'm not sure if this is something similar to it? Any advice?

P.S: I have replaced my headlights with Bi Xenon LED projector headlamps within the same OEM headlight units (using relays). So my warranty for headlights is void in case if my root cause is determined to be same as yours :(

Last edited by Eyas337 : 13th April 2017 at 01:58.
Old 13th April 2017, 10:58   #11192
Team-BHP Support

I've had this issue with my EcoSport for a few months now and decided to get it checked during the 10k service.

It isn't exactly a rattle but every time I drive through rough roads or especially when I climb or descend while taking a turn (say, getting on/off a parking ramp), I hear a brushing noise coming from the rear.

When I went in for the 10k service, asked the SA for a road test where we drove through broken roads (one where there's a lot of muddy craters and peaks) and the sound came back.

He diagnosed it as metal panels brushing against each other on the roof.

When we went back in, he explained to the service head that "it was the same as some other EcoSport".

The solution is: they take off the roof lining and fill in sealant in the panel joining/gaps?. The whole thing will take 4-5 days.

I'll update this thread once I hear from the SA.

Anyone experience this?
Old 15th April 2017, 17:02   #11193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Front two get back, rear two go front with the spare coming in one of the two.

Ford recommends the same:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Thanks for the reply!!
I am confused with the picture in my manual which is attached. It's different form the one you have shown, and I guess it means to replace the rear tyres with the front and swap the rear ones to opposite sides on the front. Right? And this is 4 tyre rotation I think?
Its always recommended to do 5 tyre rotation for the following reason:

>Tyre like any rubber degrade over time. Its best to keep a new spare rather than a 5+ yr old one for safety.

>Lesser intervals to change tyre as 5 tyres will split the distance covered instead of 4

> Treads of spare tire will be consistent with other ones, and you can use this for prolonged periods.

The good thing about Ecosport is that unlike many cars it comes with same sized spare. So 5 tyre rotation is possible and recommended here !

Tyre rotation pattern explained ! [Bottom left applicable for ES]
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20150610wa0004.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas C View Post
the service guys advised to replace them as I started to get steering vibration at 100kmph.
Is it ok to get them replaced from a shop and not Ford Service?
I am asking this because owners have written here in the early posts, that the wheel nuts get damaged unless they are removed at a Ford Workshop.
The only issue i faced while removing tires outside workshop is when the technicians try to open the spare with the power tool. The alloy key is delicate and should always be removed manually.

I don't think steering vibration has anything to do with your tread wear, and its pretty easy to know when to replace tyre just by looking at the tread wear indicator on tyre rather than asking people whose job is to sell tyre !
Also i noticed while doing balancing Ford always gives stick-on weights (recommended for alloys) on alloys whereas normal shops give clamp weights (for steel wheels) most of the time unless told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaidhiR View Post
My dad is looking for an MUV in the price range that has this beautiful car. I am a huge fan of it and having driven one, I can say that it is one car that I recommend.
Well as your parents are going to be using the car, i will say its best if you leave the decision on them and what they like. For example, i use the rear seats 1-2% of the time i drive. To me It wouldn't even matter if Ecosport is a 2 seat er car. But i am sure 99% people can never justify that. Ask them to do a long test drive on all the cars that falls under the budget and then check if the service options & after sales support are good for the place where they are staying.

Quote:
It isn't exactly a rattle but every time I drive through rough roads or especially when I climb or descend while taking a turn (say, getting on/off a parking ramp), I hear a brushing noise coming from the rear.
Never faced this kind of rattle in the 45k odd kms i have driven on Ecosport. However my car starts developing a rattle on my bonnet whenever i drive on super bad roads and i have to fix it every 5-10k km or so. The technician says its due to bonet alignment gone wrong. This is one of the main gripe i have about the car

Meanwhile take a moment to adore the lovely leather key cover which i got recently from Aliexpress. Was using a silicone one earlier, however it got cut in the keychain part after 2.5 yrs of use and i decided to go with something more classy this time !
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_0519.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_0518.jpg
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 03:08   #11194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
Updates from today's Ford Service center visit
Then completely stripped down the passenger door naked along with the wiring and speaker. Connected another door handle (guess they had a spare) to test if the issue was with the sensor or wiring. The spare door handle didn't work and then they tested the wiring, which was the actual issue. SA mentioned that the entire left side door wiring (comes in as a bundled part) needs to be replaced and the same needs to be ordered (will take 4 business days).

So they fixed back the door and the wiring, mentioned would be calling me once the part arrives & warranty should be covering everything.
Next week, same door stripping exercise needs to be repeated and I've to spend another weekend at Ford Service station
Visited ford service center over the weekend and got the left passenger side door wiring replaced under warranty. Now the key less entry button on the passenger door works fine.

Quote:
I'm facing some what similar issue, but with the engine ON and car in idle.

On my 8 month old Ecosport TDCI, after driving for a while (say at least 20-30 mins) and while parking the car -> I hear a loud whining noise (apart from the usual engine sound) coming in from the engine bay with engine ON and car in idle (with AC ON). More like a pressure cooker whistle and it repeats twice or thrice after short intervals (say a minute or two) and then goes off. I'm not sure if this is due to the current hot conditions in Hyderabad and with AC ON (temperature set to 22.5 and in AUTO mode), getting to hear this sound.
The technician mentioned its due to the AC fan and high temperature during summer time. They cleaned the AC radiator grill by spraying water thru the pressure hose to remove all the dust, insects etc., and it appears to have solved the problem for now (although need to observe it for another week closely).

One other concern I had was about the fuel efficiency during City driving (it was at 15 or so previously and now about 12 kms/liter).

The SA recommended up / down shifting at below speeds for better fuel efficiency:
Upto 10 kms - 1st gear
10-20 kms - 2nd gear
20-30 kms - 3rd gear
30-45 kms - 4th gear
>45 kms - 5th gear

Following this advice, I do see a significant change showing up even in the instant FE meter (from less than 15 to close to 30+ now) and the average FE meter (from 12 to 15 now). Although am yet to verify these results using tank to tank method.

To follow the above within the city, it does require frequent up / down shifts - removing the fun part of driving. Also I found it too early for the up shifts and trying to adjust to below pattern for now:
Upto 10 kms - 1st gear
10-20 kms - 2nd gear
20-35 kms - 3rd gear (my previous range was up to 55-60 km at 3rd gear)
35-55 kms - 4th gear (previously used to up shift only after 60 km or so)
>55 kms - 5th gear (previously used to up shift only after 70-75 km or so)

So at what speeds do you change gears, on your Ecosport TDCI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post

Its always recommended to do 5 tyre rotation

Meanwhile take a moment to adore the lovely leather key cover which i got recently from Aliexpress.
Yes, I too followed the 5 tyre rotation during my 2nd service based on the recommendations from fellow members.

The key cover looks great, planning to get one for myself:
- Does this fit the Titanium+ version key? (hope its the same remote key across Titanium and Titanium+ variants)
- Please share the cost and delivery time taken

Last edited by Aditya : 17th April 2017 at 07:46. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Eyas337 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 10:19   #11195
BHPian

Quote:
The key cover looks great, planning to get one for myself:
- Does this fit the Titanium+ version key? (hope its the same remote key across Titanium and Titanium+ variants)
- Please share the cost and delivery time taken
The titanium+ keyless key is of different shape. The one i got is this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...615.0.0.YtpSCr

Shipping took about a month. I believe you need this for your key:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...615.0.0.CpO6O1
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 12:15   #11196
BHPian

Guys, any news on the new (2017) ecosport launch. I guess it was spotted sometime back in India.
Old 21st April 2017, 14:38   #11197
Team-BHP Support

Couple of things:

1) Owners in Pune: where do you get your cars serviced? Sai Sakshi Ford is going through some issues and will most likely shut down.

I stay in Baner and am really not excited about going to Wagholi for Talera.

2) Does the AT have driver side window one touch up? Mine is the facelift version (bought in 2016 with indicator stalk on right, push button start).

I think mine did but I'm suddenly not sure; I had given my car for servicing and one touch up isn't working (one touch down is).

Quote:
2) Does the AT have driver side window one touch up? Mine is the facelift version (bought in 2016 with indicator stalk on right, push button start).

I think mine did but I'm suddenly not sure; I had given my car for servicing and one touch up isn't working (one touch down is).
It does. And I made some discovery on this:

The one touch up/down feature can be toggled on/off.

To turn on: scroll the window completely up/down, then pull the button up/push it down (for up/down) for two additional seconds. Scroll the window down/up to check if the the feature has been enabled/disabled.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd April 2017 at 12:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:35   #11198
Senior - BHPian

Agree, I also discovered it recently on my wife's car! The brochure doesn't mention it, probably!!
Old 23rd April 2017, 11:06   #11199
BHPian

Observed a peculiar problem on my Dec 2016 Ecosport TDCi. Today while taking the car out of the garage, I inadvertently forgot to release the handbrake; the vehicle moved forward around 10ft and I also did a reverse manoeuvre before noticing that the handbrake was engaged.

I then tested on a slope and noticed that the vehicle was crawling forward in neutral gear (quite slowly though) even when the handbrake was engaged; however when I tried the same backward (vehicle backwards downslope in neutral) the vehicle didn't move.

Is this a problem with my vehicle or is the handbrake designed to behave this way by Ford?😟
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:28   #11200
BHPian

@libranof1987: I get my Ecosport serviced from Talera Ford, Nigdi, near Bhakti Shakti Chowk.

The experience has been good so far. Used to get my Figo as well serviced from there.

Had tried Sai Sakshi once and did not like thier attitude towards fixing issues. They were more bent on selling me the AMC.
ObsessedByFIAT is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 10:53   #11201

Dear All,
I am facing a big problem with my Ford Eco-Sport Titanium AT which is just 5 month old.
At times it fails to start whenever I press the start button. It makes starting noise for 2-3 seconds and then not able to start the engine.
The battery is not dead as the next day car is able to start in first attempt itself.
I’ve faced this problem three times in last two weeks.
Till now, Ford service center also not able to rectify this problem yet and today again I’ve sent the car to service center.
If anyone has any idea about this problem pleases help.
Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 22:57   #11202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_d_Kool View Post
Guys, any news on the new (2017) ecosport launch. I guess it was spotted sometime back in India.

I believe the official launch is slated sometime around the festive season this year (Oct - Nov sorts) ! Not very sure though.
Old 26th April 2017, 09:58   #11203
BHPian

The "water-in-fuel" light came on today. I had filled my tank 5 days ago and 60K service was done 2 weeks ago.
Can I drain it myself or does it need to go to the service center?
Old 26th April 2017, 20:24   #11204
BANNED

Check this out

http://indianautosblog.com/2017/04/8...itanium-265292

I would have liked it better if they could have integrated apple carplay and android auto.

Also the Screen would be awkward to use in that position, the Screen already in the Titanium trim would be a stretch to operate by touch. Ford is just having to do a "me too" move to save the sales in front of the Brezza

Mods: i'm trying to post a picture from the app, but its not letting me

Last edited by agambhandari : 26th April 2017 at 20:29.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 00:51   #11205
BHPian

Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas C View Post
The "water-in-fuel" light came on today. I had filled my tank 5 days ago and 60K service was done 2 weeks ago.

Can I drain it myself or does it need to go to the service center?

There's a chance that it's due to a weak battery unless you have changed the battery in between .

Most Viewed