Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2020, 20:51   #12001
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

After driving both the BSVI diesel and petrol, I have decided to go ahead with the diesel, if at all i go ahead with the Ecosport (chances of which are high). Just have the following doubts:

1. I have read about quite a number of cases of high engine oil consumption here in Team BHP, as well as in few other forums. Is it still a concern, or things have been fixed now? I intend to keep the vehicle for at least seven years, and want a fuss free experience!

2. Ford dealerships are totally unaware of what changes have been made to the existing BSIV diesel, to make it BSVI. I am surprised to see that they are running BSVI diesels with BSIV fuel. Other manufacturers are strictly refraining from that, and therefore delaying deliveries. Mailing Ford customer care did not help as well. I received the following response:

"First up we are delighted to know that you have decided to purchase Ford Ecosport vehicle. We take this opportunity to thank you for patronizing our product and we are much pleased to learn the passion that you have shown towards owning our Ford brand.

With regard to your query related to emission, we wish to inform you that unfortunately we are not in a position to provide our internal proprietary & confidential information to you. We hope this clarifies. We have also instructed our dealership to provide the necessary assistance to you in this regard."

It would be great if anybody can help in gathering some information from their respective go to SA.

Thanks and regards!
Old 10th February 2020, 10:49   #12002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankha007 View Post
After driving both the BSVI diesel and petrol, I have decided to go ahead with the diesel, if at all i go ahead with the Ecosport (chances of which are high). Just have the following doubts:

1. I have read about quite a number of cases of high engine oil consumption here in Team BHP, as well as in few other forums. Is it still a concern, or things have been fixed now? I intend to keep the vehicle for at least seven years, and want a fuss free experience!

2. Ford dealerships are totally unaware of what changes have been made to the existing BSIV diesel, to make it BSVI. I am surprised to see that they are running BSVI diesels with BSIV fuel. Other manufacturers are strictly refraining from that, and therefore delaying deliveries...
The oil consumption issue was restricted to a batch of engines before the facelift and IIRC, all affected vehicles had their engines replaced under warranty. I have not heard of this issue after that.

On how Ford has done has done BS6, it is most likely with a DPF and LNT. This is how most OEM's with 1.5L and smaller engines will do it. By running on BS4 fuels the filters will get clogged faster and might probably need a slightly earlier replacement, apart from which I don't see any downside. Running 2 months on BS4 fuel should be fine.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 10th February 2020 at 10:52.
fiat_tarun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 18:28   #12003
RGK
Senior - BHPian

A friend took my car after a function, leaving the car key with his driver (the driver forgot to give). He drove around 30kms and then came to know about the missing key. He reached home and could not lock the car until the driver came and gave it.

The car did not beep even after the key was out of range. Is anything wrong?.
Old 26th February 2020, 19:34   #12004
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
The car did not beep even after the key was out of range. Is anything wrong?.
Nope, that's how it is. The MID just shows a message "Key outside door". Otherwise, no beep.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 17:19   #12005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas C View Post
The car was returned in the evening. Next morning, as I drove to office, the car was badly jumping at the rear over even small speed breakers. I drove the 2 Km to the service center ( with stomach churning and neck hurting ) and as soon as the service advisor took it and drove 10 feet, he informed that the rear shocks were gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
By 80,000 kms
I was on 3rd set of premium tyres.
All 4 Shock Absorbers replaced
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
If the behaviour of the car changed this drastically and suddenly, then the possibilities I can think of are not good ones, similar to what you've outlined.
I had taken my car for a regular service yesterday, as the mid-year check to top up the fluids and do a regular check-up. I had anticipated something fishy with my front suspension with regular noise on patchy roads, and ASS has attributed to stabilizer bar bush.

But yesterday they complained of my rear suspension shock's going hard and showing a visible jerk. I quickly went up to see today to know what's happening and it was visible that the car's behaviour has changed drastically and is now bumpy on the road as if one of the tyres is swivelling. Thankfully on better roads, it's not over-reacting but a small patch breaks the flaw. The car bounces on bumps and is shocking.

I told them that I do not plan to do the suspension right away, as I want to check the same with my local garage who provides genuine accessories.

On checking with the Kairali Ford and they mentioned that they had removed the suspension to check the stiffness of the suspension and now it's like this.

Even though they mentioned about 80K life for the suspension, it looks not too normal for a car.

Any thoughts?
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 19:15   #12006
Team-BHP Support

Completed the 40k service of my '16 AT. Got the following changed per schedule:

1) Oil + Oil filter
2) Air filter
3) A/c filter
4) Spark plugs
5) Brake oil

The bill: a modest 6k.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 12:01   #12007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
I had taken my car for a regular service yesterday, as the mid-year check to top up the fluids and do a regular check-up. I had anticipated something fishy with my front suspension with regular noise on patchy roads, and ASS has attributed to stabilizer bar bush.

I told them that I do not plan to do the suspension right away, as I want to check the same with my local garage who provides genuine accessories.

On checking with the Kairali Ford and they mentioned that they had removed the suspension to check the stiffness of the suspension and now it's like this.

Even though they mentioned about 80K life for the suspension, it looks not too normal for a car.

Any thoughts?
I too had squeaking noise from the front suspension and got it checked during my regular service at the FASS. I also felt that the suspension was getting a bit stiff. FASS SA drove the car for 5 meters and was quick to make a bill of 16-17 k asking me to get all shocks changed. I only agreed to replacing the front bush. The noise is now rectified. For the stiffness, I took it two different garages. First one raised the car on a lift and made a bill of 25000/- Change front suspension, link rods and few other items. They also added the disc brakes to the list. Then I took my car to another garage. He took a test drive, gave all clear, and infact said that the suspension is getting softer because my car has already covered ~60k. He did a visual inspection of the disc brakes and declared it good for at least another 7-8k km. I returned home with 0/- expense and a nagging doubt on who to trust among all three.

Last edited by amit.s : 4th March 2020 at 12:16.
amit.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 12:27   #12008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.s View Post
I returned home with 0/- expense and a nagging doubt on who to trust among all three.
I still have the squeaking noise.

But I am disappointed with the fact that post the checkup my car is bouncing like the old school 550 on a rock. I took it to my nearby trusted garage and said, they would have a look and he mentioned that Ecosport is known for suspension stiffness, but he is very curious that it is the rear one for me.

Thankfully he said, he can just replace the shock's if necessary and hence it will not hit my pocket that hard.

Ford will only replace the whole assembly in one go. I have asked him to check the front suspension as well.
Old 5th March 2020, 13:18   #12009
BHPian

Quote:

Ford will only replace the whole assembly in one go. I have asked him to check the front suspension as well.
In a quick surprise, the Garage where I went to mentioned this in detail on the diagnosis.

My Shocks have lost its action, they pulled it out and showed me how the response is - sure they know what they are talking. They said it could be due to any normal wear and tear or loss in the quantity of suspension oil.

One thing FASS did was pull out inspect and take it back for something they were sure of. They shouldn't have taken it out.

Now my car rides on MONROE OESpectrum Shocks which costs around 2K per piece and with labour my car is back at 4.2K bill almost 3.3K less than the estimate given by Ford.
Old 5th March 2020, 14:14   #12010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now my car rides on MONROE OESpectrum Shocks which costs around 2K per piece and with labour my car is back at 4.2K bill almost 3.3K less than the estimate given by Ford.
And I presume it has made a big difference in the ride quality? Issue convincingly resolved for you?
Old 5th March 2020, 14:23   #12011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
And I presume it has made a big difference in the ride quality? Issue convincingly resolved for you?
For now yes, as I have only driven about 20KM post that. I need to try the same over the weekend, same with me sitting in the back as well.

The issue is super convincingly resolved for me
Old 6th March 2020, 16:37   #12012
BHPian

Anyone owning a first gen Ecosport replaced Engine Timing Belt, Drive Belt and Tensioner yet ?

As per Ford Service Promise website for Ecosport:
Quote:
Engine Timing Belt, Drive Belt and Tensioner need to be replaced every 120000 Km or 5 yrs whichever occur first.
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-1.jpg

During my last 80K 5.5 year service, i inquired about the cost & they mentioned 25K ish for this. They want to replace the full assembly & i need to keep the car in workshop for 1 day as they need to open the engine to perform the replacement which takes time.

This seems to be an expensive recurring maintenance cost every 5 yrs. If i consider 5-6k as the average service charge per year, adding the 25k makes the effective maintenance cost excluding wear and tear components to over 10k per year

Meanwhile the Ford Service Promise website gives the following estimate which is probably not the whole set of items which is part of this process.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-2.jpg

Someone who have crossed 1L or 5yrs and have done the replacement, please share your experiences and justification of this expense.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 12:02   #12013

Hi,

The average fuel consumption on my new Ford Ecosport Titanium Sports Edition Petrol is around 10.7 kmpl in moderate traffic conditions.The odometer is 390 km. Please note that the engine has been upgraded to 1.5 litres BS VI. But still I am not satisfied. Will this be the same or will the mileage improve after the 1st service?
Old 9th March 2020, 12:28   #12014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerclear View Post
Hi,

The average fuel consumption on my new Ford Ecosport Titanium Sports Edition Petrol is around 10.7 kmpl in moderate traffic conditions.The odometer is 390 km. Please note that the engine has been upgraded to 1.5 litres BS VI. But still I am not satisfied. Will this be the same or will the mileage improve after the 1st service?
For a heavy vehicle like the Ecosport petrol, a mileage of 10-11 kmpl is pretty darn decent, especially if you are driving mostly within city conditions. My Honda City also returns around 11 kmpl, with moderately aggressive driving and heavy city traffic. There might be a marginal improvement after the first oil change, but I would not expect a major difference.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 15:53   #12015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Anyone owning a first gen Ecosport replaced Engine Timing Belt, Drive Belt and Tensioner yet ?
Are you from the 2013 batch? We have many in the forum who have their engine replaced, including mine which has a replaced Short Block assembly - I presume the Timing belt, and Drive belt are all in.

Most Viewed