Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2020, 15:24   #12181
BHPian

Ford Ecosport: Wrong 'Average Fuel Consumption' Figures

Hey guys,

I am facing this issue with my Ford Ecosport Petrol (2018). When I reset all numbers for the new trip, the avg fuel consumption value becomes zero, which is ok. When I travel on highways with a constant 90- 100 kmph speed, and after 300 km, the average fuel consumption is still around 8, which is not true. It eventually crosses the number 10 after a few refuels. So, I am not getting accurate figures for my trip. Is this a technical glitch, or am I doing it wrong??
Old 31st December 2020, 21:33   #12182

Re: Ford Ecosport: Wrong 'Average Fuel Consumption' Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketan007 View Post
When I travel on highways with a constant 90- 100 kmph speed, and after 300 km, the average fuel consumption is still around 8, which is not true. It eventually crosses the number 10 after a few refuels.
Cruising on 90-100 will definitely impact fuel consumption by a huge margin and no wonder you are getting 8kmpl. The ideal cruising speed is 70-80kmph. Also, check if your engine oil needs replacement.

Quote:
I am not getting accurate figures for my trip. Is this a technical glitch, or am I doing it wrong??
Can you please share the photo of the Trip computer/Audio screen and fuel Economy screen if possible?. I would also like to know if this problem persisted all the way from 2018 or just now?
Soorya Ramesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 11:57   #12183
BHPian

@Soorya Ramesh
Here is the Odo reading for my trip:
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-trip_odo.jpg
I had a tankful of petrol when I started the trip. I drove around 400 km with that petrol and then refueled. Out of which, 200km was on highways. And, rest was on an average to bad roads. Some offroading too. Still, 8 is not the average I expect considering 3 servicing appointments are completed since April 2018.

The speed on highways was ~80-100 kmph.

and here is the avg fuel consumption for the same. Right now, it's 9.1 but the earlier reading was somewhere between 8.5 to 8.8.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-avg_fuel.jpg

The only thing to consider is the car ran around only 500 km in the whole year 2020, thanks to the pandemic and my hand injury, until this trip.
Old 1st January 2021, 12:40   #12184
BHPian

Quote:
and here is the avg fuel consumption for the same. Right now, it's 9.1 but the earlier reading was somewhere between 8.5 to 8.8.
Ketan,

It looks like your average fuel consumption is currently set to display values in litres per 100 KM. So, when you see a lower number on your cluster display, that actually means your fuel efficiency is better . When it shows 9.1, actual fuel efficiency in KMPL is 10.98 and when it was showing 8.5, actual fuel efficiency in KMPL was 11.76.

Regards,
Vivek

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st January 2021 at 13:26. Reason: As requested
VivekCherian is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 18:21   #12185
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

I'm looking to understand how safe the Ford EcoSport is. The EcoSport sold in US has a 4-star NHTSA safety rating (2019 model). The US version and the India version are both made in India.

My thoughts on potential differences between US and India version
  1. Rear tire: When I look at the EcoSport sold in India vs the US, one point that stands out is that the US version does not have a tire at the back, while the India version does. I am concerned that the tire at the back negatively impacts the vehicles ability to distribute crash energy, and hence deteriorates the Indian variant's crash performance when the car is rear-ended.
  2. Body structure: Of course, it may also be possible that the US variant's body structure may be different from the one sold in India (to secure that 4-star rating), although they're both made in the same plant.
Any views on this?
Old 1st January 2021, 19:18   #12186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren_P1 View Post
I'm looking to understand how safe the Ford EcoSport is. The EcoSport sold in US has a 4-star NHTSA safety rating (2019 model). The US version and the India version are both made in India.

My thoughts on potential differences between US and India version
  1. Rear tire: When I look at the EcoSport sold in India vs the US, one point that stands out is that the US version does not have a tire at the back, while the India version does. I am concerned that the tire at the back negatively impacts the vehicles ability to distribute crash energy, and hence deteriorates the Indian variant's crash performance when the car is rear-ended.
  2. Body structure: Of course, it may also be possible that the US variant's body structure may be different from the one sold in India (to secure that 4-star rating), although they're both made in the same plant.
Any views on this?
The Ecosport has been on sale for 7 years now. The safety of the car has been discussed in the 800 pages of this thread over 7 years as well as multiple other threads. You could search and you will find more info than any report on the Ford's safety.

Overall, The safety of the Ecosport is pretty much unmatched in this segment. The NExon and XUV3OO have a 4/5 star NCAP rating but the NExon gets only 2 airbags.

You can read through and get all the info.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 19:25   #12187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren_P1 View Post
I am concerned that the tire at the back negatively impacts the vehicles ability to distribute crash energy, and hence deteriorates the Indian variant's crash performance when the car is rear-ended.
Any data point to substantiate this or just a hunch?

Quote:
[*]Rear tire: When I look at the EcoSport sold in India vs the US, one point that stands out is that the US version does not have a tire at the back, while the India version does.
[*]Body structure: Of course, it may also be possible that the US variant's body structure may be different from the one sold in India (to secure that 4-star rating), although they're both made in the same plant.
The difference in design is only because of India's pro-sub-4m taxation rule. A lot of other cars also have no/negligible rear/front bumpers to save fit within the 4m length.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 11:55   #12188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The NExon and XUV3OO have a 4/5 star NCAP rating
To be precise Nexon and XUV300 scored 5 star in NCAP ratings.
Old 9th January 2021, 11:34   #12189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
As you said it's already changed thrice, there might be problem with other mounts. Get them all evaluated. Bring this up with the service centre ans ask them a clear cut solution. Engine mounts can fail anytime but usually they should last for 90000-100000 kms atleast. There are three mounts. Two on either sides and one under the gear box, referred as A,B and C.

Egr is exhaust gas recirculation system consisting of an electronic valve and plumbing which introduce exhaust gases back to the engine at certain RPM. Engine may feel sluggish and there might be smoke and mileage issues if the system is choked.
Hey All, thanks for all your help in identifying the issues. Finally had the car serviced. Went to an independent Garage called Chowdary's Car Clinic in Jayanagar. My friend has been giving his car here for the last 5 odd years so had no issues in trusting him. I ditched Ford as they were barely able to sort my issues despite multiple attempts, hence wanted to try out elsewhere.

I went to the place on Saturday evening, and Mr Anil, who runs the place attended me and my friend, and immediately went for test drive. He got most of my issues without me even telling them which is what we expect from a person who knows his work. This assured me that the job was going to be good..

Got a call on Monday late evening that the car was ready. Went to collect my car on Tuesday evening, and below are the details.

The transmission mount had completely worn out and is replaced. The suspensions at all four ends were overhauled and luckily the bushes and rest of the assembly was good ,hence needed no replacement. But the Strut Arm/ Link / Stabilizer arm (i hope i'm telling the part name right, its basically a vertical section which stablilizes the suspension) was weak and both sides had to be replaced. The clutch also seemed heavier and gears weren't slotting correctly(the clutch was replaced just about 8K kms ago) and the clutch assembly was overhauled and no major issues found there. Was told the master cylinder is weak and may need a replacement in the course of time. Minor issues with the car like noise and other things were attended. Since the car had run 10K kms, it was due for oil change, which was done with engine flush and topped with fully synthetic Shell Helix oil.

As soon as i drove the car i could feel the difference and was thrilled to experience a smoother drive than before. The clutch and gear slotting issues was persistent but reduced to a larger extent. Also the Hydraulic mount which is seen from the top was weak and isn't replaced due to non availability. Overall a great experience and I'm happy my car is back.

Though, there was an issue two days later, the car was used extensively and run about 200kms in 2 days. On Friday morning when i depressed the clutch pedal to start, there was barely any resistance and it plunged right through. Was shocked and called him to understand the issues. Was told that there may be an issue/leak from the Master Cylinder. Asked me to fill up the reservior with DOT4 liquid and check for any leaks, if no leaks, the clutch should get normal, but that never happened. On inspection i found the steel pipe (which is below the pipe that goes inside the car from the reservior) was leaking exactly where it enters the inside of the car. Did a VC to show the leak and he organised for his mechanic to check. Found a faluty O ring, and on replacement the car is running fine for the last 40 kms. Hope it stays this way.

Next step is to change the Tyres considering upsizing to Continental 215/60 R16. Please let me know if anyone has done the same and what is your suggestion.

Thanks a lot for all your support
Old 15th January 2021, 16:55   #12190
Distinguished - BHPian

I own a Ford Ecosport petrol DCT 2017 model. I had a strange experience yesterday which I want to understand better here.

So I had to drop my father at a friend's place the other day. He drove the car till there and then got off and I got into the driver's seat to drive back home. By mistake, he took the key fob in his pocket only. I also didn't realize this and the car started normally since at that time he must have been possibly standing right next to it. And then I drove the car to my home which would be an approximate distance of 5 km or 20 minutes. Only when I parked the car in my home, did I realize that the key fob wasn't in the car and my father must have taken it.

So my question is, that shouldn't the engine immobilizer have kicked in this scenario on driving a short distance away from the key fob? Or the car should have given some warning? Or is this not how the engine immobilizer function works? Can someone drive the car away even if the key fob is not in the car?
Old 15th January 2021, 19:02   #12191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So my question is, that shouldn't the engine immobilizer have kicked in this scenario on driving a short distance away from the key fob? Or the car should have given some warning? Or is this not how the engine immobilizer function works? Can someone drive the car away even if the key fob is not in the car?
This has been discussed a few times, on this thread and others, regarding keyless push button start. The car will continue to run even if the key fob is not present; you will see a warning on the MID that the key fob is outside the car but that's about it.

There could be a different set of problems if the car were to shut down, when the key fob is not present; so I doubt there's a perfect solution.

On the other hand, it won't allow you to lock the car (by pressing the button on the door) if the key is inside the car.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 19:15   #12192
BHPian

Quote:
Well not really. You do see cctv footage on YouTube where criminals just piggyback off the keyfob passive signal and unlock and then start the car and then drive off with it. Meanwhile the owner is sound asleep inside his home.

They obviously won't be able to restart the car. You can kind of get the idea from this TG episode at 3:08 (first time I saw this happen)

JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 19:21   #12193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
This has been discussed a few times, on this thread and others, regarding keyless push button start. The car will continue to run even if the key fob is not present; you will see a warning on the MID that the key fob is outside the car but that's about it.
Thanks for the detailed reply. So what exactly is the function of the engine immobilizer and when does that come into play?
Old 15th January 2021, 19:28   #12194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed reply. So what exactly is the function of the engine immobilizer and when does that come into play?
I believe the Immobilizer comes into picture only while cranking of the engine. It is only at that stage that the Immobilizer will check if the key is authorized and allow the engine to be fired up only if it is.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 17:24   #12195
Senior - BHPian

Took my new EcoSport for a drive to Hampi and back from Bangalore. Total kms clocked : 830 kms home to home. Loved riding the smooth and refined wave of torque between 1750 and 2200 rpm, did not need to rev beyond this for quick overtakes. The BS6 TDCI engine is really refined. The new Hampi expressway is an absolute delight to drive on, butter smooth tarmac with sparse traffic, and I was able to keep up consistent speeds of 100-110 kms. Since the engine is new, I was particular about doing a calm cruise for most of the way and thus did not go above these cruising speeds. I could see other cars ripping at much higher speeds on this newly laid national highway.

Quick question to fellow owners: what is the tire pressure that you keep on the 205/60 R16 tires for highway speeds. I used 32 on all tires this time, seemed quite ok. The label on the door says 40psi if the car has 4-5 passengers, but that seemed absurdly high to me
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-_img_000000_000000.jpg  

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 17th January 2021 at 17:30.
arindambasu13 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks