Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 16:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes A-Class : Official Review

With over 400+ bookings already for the A-class, within 10 days of the launch, Mercedes has done something right. Either the under-powered engines is not much of a criteria and/or the pricing has hit the sweet spot. Both are however deterrents for an enthusiast since there are bigger, better, faster, smarter and cheaper options already out there.

One thing is for sure, with such enthusiastic pricing Mercedes has yet again set a benchmark that every other luxury hatchback will inevidently follow. Expect the pricing of the 1-series and the A3 to be well within this range, if not more.

Top notch review btw. Rated five stars.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 14th June 2013 at 16:12.
Old 14th June 2013, 16:39   #32
BHPian

Is it a typo error or is it really a 125 spare tyre? Do they even make 125 tyres for cars?
Old 14th June 2013, 16:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Is it a typo error or is it really a 125 spare tyre? Do they even make 125 tyres for cars?
such tyres do exist:
http://www.pepboys.com/tires/size/125/70/17/

Don't know it is a typo here; unlikely...

Excellent review Rehaan. And wonderful photography Rudra sir. The one that points out the detailing in an AC vent is truly a picture-is-worth-of-1000-words.

The fact that "not everyone is an enthusiast" and sweet pricing should bring in more footfalls to the Merc showrooms all over the country. As someone has mentioned it is already happening. Those who love somewhat sedate motoring in a premium-branded car, the three-pointed star is the ultimate choice.

Let's rejoice the launch and wish the Merc India every success.

EDIT: imagine the situation when you need to find a spare for that spare tyre in India...

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 14th June 2013 at 16:58.
Old 14th June 2013, 16:55   #34
BHPian

Hats off to the Person / Team who wrote the Review! Amazingly detailed and nice!
Old 14th June 2013, 17:15   #35
Team-BHP Support

I'm not sure if this 'not everyone is an enthusiast' statement holds true to the A-Class' apparently impending success AND with regard to its performance, or lack thereof.

Firstly, how does one describe an enthusiast? Most 4-by-4 / SUV fanatics will stay a mile away from the A. But they're still enthusiasts. On the other hand, there are people who just love cars, not for the performance they may have on offer, but purely because of the package that it is. People like me. I'm not big on how a car 'performs'. Well, sort of. But it's not always a deal-breaker in my opinion. People buy cars based on looks and comfort but you can't say they're not enthusiasts.

I'm not really a Merc person but the A appeals to me because it's just beautiful. I've seen it in person and trust me, it's very striking. I'm an enthusiast and if I were to be objective about it, the A makes no sense. But that's not the point of such a car.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 17:52   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant review Rehaan - thanks for that. (Well this line is pretty redundant for TBHP official reviews really.)

The A indeed is the most refreshing car from the star on the looks front off late. Of course the C/E/S are a class apart, they don't have the young raw energy about their looks, more of elegance perhaps.

This sure will appeal the young folk. What a car really. A real German engineered machine. It's wondrous how they consistently seem to out-think others in the tiniest of points! Due attention given to every minor detail. I wonder how many would put the reverse parking sensor display in the rear - in a way making sure you DO look back when you reverse the car.

Almost all points Rehaan mentioned in the small but significant things are masterstrokes.

Superb looks, wide stance, power under the hood and true luxury features - this car really has everything in it!

I hope the car lands in the targeted audience's hands and not in a chauffeur's. And that the owner+driver is an enthusiast who tweaks the ECU to pump out the true power of the diesel engine.

P.S. - the lack of carved out space for the spare tire is a BIG let-down. I'd rather they placed the reverse sensor anywhere but made the boot more usable...I don't buy this "space saver spare" idea at all!!
Old 14th June 2013, 17:58   #37
BHPian

Excellent review as always Rehaan. It is interesting times indeed. I am looking forward to see what kind of market space the A Class is going to occupy.

Design wise, I think the Merc designers have nailed it. The car looks class and will meet the expectations of the youth category towards which this car seems to target - and yes, it doesn't looks like 'made for the mature(old) class' like made of the other plain jane looking models from the merc stable. That said, i am very disappointed to read that the Auto box is no where close to what a >20L car should carry. Especially now that VW has brought in an excellent shifter at sub 10L.
Old 14th June 2013, 18:20   #38
BHPian

Amazing work Rehaan!

Thanks a lot for this detailed and marvellous review.
You literally didnt miss anything about it.

Regarding the car, its 'feature packed - four person' luxury.
But, the engine is 108 bhp @ 3200 - 4400 RPM. The same engine is used in E220 CDI, which is delivering 170 BHP ! The engine could have been atleast 140 bhp in A Class to delight the man behind the wheels.

Also, the thrid passager is not so heavily welcomed at the rear seat, which could have been handled better.
The beautiful hatch is ideal for the posh young blood to show off with the looks [not at all with power] on highways and late night parties.

Personally speaking, is 'show off' is your mission, you can go for a Skoda Laura VRS with all the modifications you can ever think of [power & style enhancements, but not necessarily !!] for the very same [or less] investment so that you can show off, not just infront of silly party girls, but also before real men on the tracks.

----------------------------------------
Nikz.
Old 14th June 2013, 18:29   #39
BHPian

Much Awaited Review !
Fantastic pictures & review.

Car looks Jaw Dropping good ! I just love the interiors.

May be 2 lacs more aggressive & 400 booking figure could have been easily 600+ i guess.
Old 14th June 2013, 19:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic pics, specially the one of the A-class alongside a passing truck, and the detailing of the vent.

One question on the "electrically" operated handbrake switch: What if the electricals failed? Would the handbrake become 'un-engageable' then?
Old 14th June 2013, 20:46   #41
BHPian

How's this for an A class?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...s-benz/a45-amg
Old 14th June 2013, 20:52   #42
Team-BHP Support

A conversation that happened between me and wife today-

Her: What is this A-Class? Is it new?
Me: Yes. Why?
Her: My student has taken delivery of the first A class in Kerala. A gift from dad for passing 10th standard.
Me: (shocked and speechless)

Thinking more about it- Mercedes' top down approach lends it an advantage over brands like Mini. Rich people who are not car guys can associate themselves better with Mercedes brand than any other. Even though they are buying small for practicality- its still big in terms of image.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 21:35   #43
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the excellent review Rehaan. The looks alone can ensure decent numbers for this pretty hatchback. I don’t think the arrival of competition (BMW 1-series) will hamper much of its sales. Even though in the same segment, both cars have a very different appeal IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
A reason why i'd be more interested the 1-Series (even if we compare the AWD A45 AMG to the 1 //M) : Rear wheel drive!
And that brilliant 8-speed ZF transmission should be another big plus!
Old 14th June 2013, 21:39   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It don’t think the arrival of competition (BMW 1-series) will hamper much of its sales.
It shouldn't. Mercedes is not looking for big number at this point anyway. Last 10 days booking confirms that too.

Last edited by manson : 18th June 2013 at 16:11.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 21:39   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Really good pro level pictures.Was all those taken with the 16-50 kit lens?

They could have put the spare wheel under the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks