Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 21:39   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes A-Class : Official Review

This car is all about the looks. I am sure all the 400 customers who have booked it have done it for one purpose and one purpose only. To flaunt it. You want to be seen getting out of this babe.

It looks brilliant. If your young and drive to work everyday, this is the car for you. Your weekend car can be same crazy performance car. If your old or middle aged this car is for you to get through mid life crisis.

Yes, A180 CDI should have had 170PS but in the end like I said, this car is for city folks who want the 3 pointed start and want to show it.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 07:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

This review and photos are worthy of a coffee table book.

The A looks brilliant and that interior is top notch. Too bad Merc got their decision wrong on the engine spec. Maybe the clientele doesn't care that much about performance, but I am sure the A would have garnered more bookings with a higher output. Who doesn't like a Go with the Show right from the factory itself?

The B seems to start lower than the A in the chart shown for pricing. Or is this the earlier price before adjustment as mentioned in the review?
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 07:52   #48
Senior - BHPian

The space saver tyre lying around in the boot is a deal breaker for me. They could have got a plastic shroud to recess the tyre, most of them are going to leave it in the garage and then get stranded with the odd puncture. Also, no struts to hold the bonnet up. The screen could have been integrated into the dashboard, it looks like an add-on accessory

The biggest miss of all for me is the absence of the 3 pointed star as a hood ornament.

I wish well for Mercedes, but looks like they over priced this one and forgot to add a few finishing touches

The lack of performance and hard ride will only complicate matters further. Wonder who is the target customer for this one, or this is just a brand building exercise
Old 15th June 2013, 10:25   #49

Rehan,

Pardon me for this possibly stupid question... But since my experience with automatics has just been test-driving the AWHC-Automatic, w.r.t the Brake-HOLD function on the A-class, when you activate it and release the brake, the car stays stationary... But then how does one get it to deactivate? By pressing the accelerator I presume, correct? Then, when one brakes again, is the function already in place, or must one depress the brake to its full range once more to reactivate it? Somehow I feel, if that were the case, it would have been better to toggle this feature with a switch rather than through the brake pedal...
Old 15th June 2013, 12:41   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I did clarify about the parking sensors (front and rear) and reverse camera after reading kbk_75's post. I was told that all 3 are present on both the petrol and diesel.
I checked out Mercedes India website and there is no mention of parking sensors as standard equipment on both models.

Even there is no mention for climate control air conditioner.

Name:  Picture 1.png
Views: 3277
Size:  22.7 KB

Link:

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.in/conte...Equipment.html
neeld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 13:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes seem to have finally nailed their Indian consumer - one who wants tons of show at the lowest price. They also know that 90% of their cars will be chauffeur driven even the hatchbacks (heck I have even seen Nanos being chauffeur driven! and probably the quadricycle will be too!!) . The seth or sethani will sit at the left rear seat with the front seat all the way up front to liberate the leg room. And bling their way out of their home. So engine specs, performance, technology, etc. are a completely moot point.

Factor in that the lower engine specs will mean a higher FE and we love the higher FE, don't we? A friend wanted to look at buying one of the germans and at one showroom at the end of the test drive and discussion, finally the salesman asked us, why we had not wanted to know 'kitna deti hai'? I said do you think that at this level we are interested? But my friend did wish to know and the salesman said almost everyone asks about the 'kitna deti hai'.

All the others (BMW 1, etc.) will all be priced 2-4 lakhs above and as we can see from the new 3 vs C, 5 vs E/6 or even A vs their own B that that 2-4 lakhs do seem to matter to the consumer as brand snobbery seems equal amongst all the three. So then why not save that, plus lower running cost and enjoy the snobbery/bling?

Last edited by sandeep108 : 15th June 2013 at 13:19.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 14:57   #52
BHPian

Great review and pictures Rehaan, very informative. Often i find the quality of pictures to be better and more detailed than at those Automotive sites covering every nook and cranny.

Having been a fan of the new A class, i do feel merc has shortchanged the indian customer by offering the base power models. at least the Petrol should have offered 140 - 150hp. The price was never expected to be lower but i do think it should offer more power for the same price. No matter what it's still a hatchback!! premium or not. This is what the 10L+ segment offers today and always has. A customer putting down 25L for a "premium" hatchback does deserve a bit more power to differ, apart from the badge ofcourse. Mind you am not asking for A45 AMG at this price.
Old 15th June 2013, 15:17   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow.. that is a smashing car! I heard it is good but never expected it to be such a quality product considering it is their cheapest. Mercedes has done a fantastic job. It is understandable that forum members here are concerned about power but a great majority of the car buyers don't care much about power. For those with budget, this is an irresistible city car.
Old 15th June 2013, 19:13   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

great review, great pictures.
- everywhere any body can 'look' (exterior, interior cabin, sunroof) is top notch
- everywhere nobody can 'look' (careless spare wheel, lack of under bonner insulation, lack of pneumatic rods for boot lift) is poor
- driver satisfaction (engine, gearbox, steering) is ZILCH
- rear seat is poorer than the front, plus ride is not 'cushioned'

Q : hmm, so this does not seem to satisfy the serious driver, nor does it satisfy the chauffeur driven seth by pampering him with plush comfort in the rear seat. So who is the target customer ?
A : this was purposefully designed to be a 'showcase item' to potter around in town & win 'wows' at late night parties, for the 'inherited young rich' crowd.

I dont think any rich young person (even if not a performance enthusiast) who has 'earned' his way up, will be able to overlook the fact that paying 26L for pure bling and getting 10L performance in return is a total rip-off.

Last edited by venkyhere : 15th June 2013 at 19:19. Reason: added points
Old 16th June 2013, 00:11   #55
BHPian

The Wheels!!

Oh my god, the wheels. They play with your eyes. Look at it from far, it looks like an elegant 5 spoker.

Look at it closer and it looks like 5 petals. Simply one of the most elegant designs in the Indian marker after the Palio's Alfa Romeo inspired telephone dial wheels.
Old 16th June 2013, 11:34   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Member S320l-E240 picked one up and has done about 2k kms already on his A180 petrol. His doesn't have parking sensors and they made him pay 70k for the diamond grille.
Quote:
I did clarify about the parking sensors (front and rear) and reverse camera after reading kbk_75's post. I was told that all 3 are present on both the petrol and diesel.

Will have to check about the diamond grille, though this is the first i'm hearing of this. From the launch it sounded like it was offered as standard. Maybe the additional charge is only on the diesel? Will get back to you.

cya
R
Dealer in Bangalore confirmed that both Petrol and Diesel variants do not have parking sensors or rear view camera. I also saw 2 cars, one was for display and other TD. Both did not have parking sensors / reversing camera.

The diamond grill however is standard on both variants.

I think what you are confused with is the 70K extra charged for the metallic colour Polar Silver. If member S320l-E240 has got Polar Silver, he would have paid 70K extra compared to Red and White.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 00:32   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
One query regarding the sedan version,CLA.What would be it's positioning with respect to the C-class in the Merc lineup as in all probability their price points will overlap?
MB's offerings have always been very spread out. Look at the price difference between the C-Class and E-Class. Same for the E-Class and S-Class. Tens of lakhs.

With more people buying luxury these days, they've started to fill the big gaps at the bottom of their product spectrum. There's plenty of leeway there, and they will also use features and engine options to further differentiate the tiers. I think that might be one of the reasons the A-Class is underpowered. Its Merc's cheapest offering, and though its not a direct threat to any other cars in their line-up, the sedan version CLA would have to get atleast the same power, if not more, and who know, that might eat into the C-Class - since it will be priced less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
How much would Merc have saved by having the 2.2L Diesel in a lower tune?
Actual cost wise. No difference.

Opportunity cost wise, perhaps more. Look at what i've said above about the A-Class engines effecting the engines offered on the CLA, and perhaps threatening the C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nd3r50n View Post
Wonder how it would compare to the Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL 4?
Sorry, haven't driven the Countryman S. Though based on driving the Cooper S, I'd say it would be a lot more fun than the A-Class!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Is it a typo error or is it really a 125 spare tyre?
It's called a space-saver spare. You can see the sizing marked on the tyre too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
The one that points out the detailing in an AC vent is truly a picture-is-worth-of-1000-words.
Credit for that picture goes to parrys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
One question on the "electrically" operated handbrake switch: What if the electricals failed? Would the handbrake become 'un-engageable' then?
Good question. I'd guess it would stay in its current state if power was lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Really good pro level pictures.Was all those taken with the 16-50 kit lens?
Heyy.. how do you know what camera we have? Well, 50% of the exterior shots were taken on Rudra's 5D Mk2. The rest were on the NEX-5R with the 16-50 (including all interior shots, except the ambient lighting in the headrests).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th June 2013 at 00:37.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 00:36   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The biggest miss of all for me is the absence of the 3 pointed star as a hood ornament.
Looks like the only Mercs for you are the E-Class and S-Class then!

The on-hood monogram doesn't exist on any of the other new Mercs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayakdshenoy View Post
But then how does one get it to deactivate? By pressing the accelerator I presume, correct?
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayakdshenoy View Post
Then, when one brakes again, is the function already in place, or must one depress the brake to its full range once more to reactivate it? Somehow I feel, if that were the case, it would have been better to toggle this feature with a switch rather than through the brake pedal...
After coming to a stop again, the feature does not automatically engage. You need to push the brake down a little further once again to engage it. I think this is easier than having a button/switch, since its part of the same movement, and also you don't have to reach-out to a button every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
I checked out Mercedes India website and there is no mention of parking sensors as standard equipment on both models.
They also mention the 7G-DCT as an optional extra, so not sure how accurate it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Dealer in Bangalore confirmed that both Petrol and Diesel variants do not have parking sensors or rear view camera.

Clearly a lot of contrasting information here. Between Merc and the dealers, and even between members in this thread. I will try to re-confirm everything one more time.

Quote:
I think what you are confused with is the 70K extra charged for the metallic colour Polar Silver. If member S320l-E240 has got Polar Silver, he would have paid 70K extra compared to Red and White.
S320l-E240's car is Red, so this doesn't seem to be the case.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 01:53   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dealer in Bangalore confirmed that both Petrol and Diesel variants do not have parking sensors or rear view camera. I also saw 2 cars, one was for display and other TD. Both did not have parking sensors / reversing camera.

His is red as Rehaan mentioned. I had also asked him for a pic of the invoice, and 70k for the diamond grille was written on that. Guess there is a bit of confusion, which always seems to happen with these launches. Only BMW provides a proper specsheet whenever it launches cars.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 08:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good question. I'd guess it would stay in its current state if power was lost.
If that's the case, maybe it's time to insist certain things remain mechanical, no matter what.

A little O/T, but recently I had an opportunity to drive the XUV-500 manual tranny, and I was completely baffled by the way the vehicle system works. Thank god it was a manual, but then again the reverse gear engaged just like a Tata Sumo, and I had to figure it out after switching on the cabin light, which took a good thirty seconds of fumbling around.

Back to the topic: Does the owner's manual include any information on the electrically engaged handbrake, and any failsafe mechanisms in case of an emergency?

On the topic of the triple star embedded into the front grill, one of the reasons why it has moved from over the bonnet to the grill is possibly because of sensors. Saturday I was watching a youtube video which explains how automatic braking works in some variants of the car, where the sensors placed in the triple star keep checking the distance between the car and the one ahead, and apply automatic braking in case the distance falls below a certain threshold. So I believe newer versions of the Mercs would go with the embedded Tri-Star instead of a hood ornament.

Dunno how much a hood ornament would cost on the vehicle's performance in terms of aerodynamics.

Most Viewed