Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2013, 10:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes A-Class : Official Review

@ Rehaan 5 stars for an excellent review and Rudra sir another 5 star for the excellent photographs, truly brochure material. The diamond grill keeps you spell bound!
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 10:44   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If that's the case, maybe it's time to insist certain things remain mechanical, no matter what.
Not sure I'd agree. With that logic, we'd still be hand cranking our cars or winding down our windows manually

Like you said, I'm sure Mercedes have some sort of manual way to disengage the electric parking brake -- as the scenario you've mentioned (battery dies while car is parked) is definitely a likely one. You're right, the owners manual would probably contain a tip on this, but i didn't see it / wasn't looking for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
On the topic of the triple star embedded into the front grill, one of the reasons why it has moved from over the bonnet to the grill is possibly because of sensors.
Sounds like a good theory, except, negated by the fact that the Merc with the most sensors (S-Class) does in fact have a pop-up monogram on the hood!

cya
R
Old 17th June 2013, 18:08   #63
BHPian

What a good looking car! The things that stand out for me are the wheels, the instrument cluster and the AC vents.
Does the high waist line make it difficult to gauge distance from the car next to you (near side) on a crowded road?
Old 17th June 2013, 18:59   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
Does the high waist line make it difficult to gauge distance from the car next to you (near side) on a crowded road?
Near side - not at all, as your eyes are much higher up in comparison to the sills.

Far side, perhaps very slightly, though i didn't notice it.

cya
R
Old 17th June 2013, 20:10   #65
BHPian

Its that show car for the young (enthusiasts who would go by the looks themselves) or peppy retired couple looking to spice up their city commute ! I guess, families stay out?! Either way, you would want this in your garage; performance after getting-in aside, it would look stunning when you get out :-)

Excellent review Rehaan and wonderful pictures too, 5* material.
Old 18th June 2013, 00:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

This is a beautiful automobile, with its looks enhanced further by Mr. Sen's expert hands on the camera.

Diesel with remap is probably the way to go, since the engine is capable of higher states of tune.

If you have a larger car at home for more mundane duties (Innova?), then this car would add some serious character to your garage.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 10:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review there Rehaan. I loved the subtle yet classy finishing on the grill, ambient lighting, etc.

I'm surprised though that this one doesn't come equipped with front fog lamps.
Old 18th June 2013, 11:03   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I'm surprised though that this one doesn't come equipped with front fog lamps.
Mercedes has stopped front fog lamps in pretty much all their new cars and relies on their "intelligent light system" to provide light throw as needed (cornering, auto-high beam, low beam etc.). Also the new S class (and future cars I guess) has no 'bulbs' and it is all LED which offer better control in light throw. The DRLs are not substitutes for fog lamps though it may have played in their design to get rid of fog lamps.

Not everyone likes this trend, but that's how it is.

Last edited by androdev : 18th June 2013 at 11:04.
androdev is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 12:01   #69
BHPian

I test drove the diesel version and was very impressed. I wanted a small car diesel auto and this ticlks all the boxes. Was wanting to book but was informed by a friend that prices will come down as this is a cbu and ckd is expected. Any idea when this wll happen.
Old 18th June 2013, 13:27   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
I test drove the diesel version and was very impressed. I wanted a small car diesel auto and this ticlks all the boxes. Was wanting to book but was informed by a friend that prices will come down as this is a cbu and ckd is expected. Any idea when this wll happen.
It costs Mercdes roughly 30K euro for each CBU A class. Add VAT to get the ex-showroom price of 26L or so. So Mercedes is actually selling the A class at what-would-be a CKD price and absorbing the difference. Weird it may sound but it is true. What will come down is the road tax, etc. which is higher for CBU.

Mercedes is not going to lower the price once it becomes CKD because it is already selling it at CKD-level price now. Hope that made sense. Even I feel A class is expensive but it expensive in all markets not just in India if that is of any comfort :-) There is very little scope for it becoming cheaper after CKD except for the road-tax stuff. CKD will have some feature tweaks which can cut both ways and generally CKD seats look cheaper compared to CBU ones.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 14:03   #71
BHPian

ok now decided, inbetween the jetta automatic and the a class, wife more leaning on the jetta. Any help from the gurus would be appreciated
Old 18th June 2013, 14:48   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ok now decided, inbetween the jetta automatic and the a class, wife more leaning on the jetta. Any help from the gurus would be appreciated
Whatever the A class can do, a Polo GT TSI can also do.

If your looking at Jetta, you get better performance, more space and much better ride for our roads.

My vote goes to Jetta vs A class for a practical choice. The A class is not exactly small.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 15:38   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you can put your hand on your chest and say that you don't need the Jetta's ginormous boot and the much more usable rear bench, AND the Jetta diesel's superior performance, go for the A.

The Jetta is the more sensible choice by a long shot. But neither will it turn heads nor make you feel as special as the A would.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th June 2013 at 15:47. Reason: typo
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 16:02   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Good selection dilemma! Both cars should be around the same as far as passenger space is concerned, but if I have to choose between the two, I will go for the Jetta. It will be easier on pocket when it comes to maintenance, VW’s DSG is said to be more responsive than the Merc DCT and have better powered engine. Other than the looks, I don’t see a huge advantage for the A.

If you really don’t need a boot, and if the requirement is not immediate, it maybe worth waiting for the 1-series launch.
Old 18th June 2013, 16:11   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If you can put your hand on your chest and say that you don't need the Jetta's ginormous boot and the much more usable rear bench, AND the Jetta diesel's superior performance, go for the A.

The Jetta is the more sensible choice by a long shot. But neither will it turn heads nor make you feel as special as the A would.
If you don't need the boot space and rear seat space the Polo TSI is also there. Way more fun to drive than the A class and equally practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Good selection dilemma! Both cars should be around the same as far as passenger space is concerned, but if I have to choose between the two, I will go for the Jetta. It will be easier on pocket when it comes to maintenance, VW’s DSG is said to be more responsive than the Merc DCT and have better powered engine. Other than the looks, I don’t see a huge advantage for the A.

If you really don’t need a boot, and if the requirement is not immediate, it maybe worth waiting for the 1-series launch.
Passenger space is far far more in the Jetta. In my driving position forget Ajit not even a short guy was able to get into the back of the A. Same when Ajit was driving.

In his Jetta we can easily sit at the back even with him driving.

The A has a very cramped back seat.

Other thing is no parking sensors or reversing camera. It is a pain to park in city. A royal pain. I wasn't even able to reverse into the showroom parking slot itself.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed