Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2013, 20:15   #196
BHPian

re: Hyundai Grand i10 Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
You must be doing something different than most folks here.. They seem to get around 10-12 max in city driving conditions!
I have consistently been getting an average of 17kmpl on my i10 for the following reasons:

1. Sedate driving style: I have noticed that driving the i10 by avoiding the "advice" of the 'gear shift indicator' severely reduces the FE. I change gears at about 2000-2500 rpm and drive within the 2000-2500 rpm range. Besides, I also drive with a light foot on the accelerator.

2. Minimal use of AC: I have also noticed that excessive use of AC has a big impact on FE. We use the AC only during inter-state drives (when windows are up), while driving in dusty areas, during extreme heat conditions or during other very specific conditions.

3. Road conditions: As RSR has stated below, the road conditions here in Goa are better than many other parts of the country. Roads are quite good condition and there is relatively lesser traffic, making it easier to enjoy a smooth drive to ensure better FE.

4. My work hours: I work in Panjim between 5 pm and 11.30 pm. Entering and exiting Panjim to proceed to my home in Porvorim is easier and there is less traffic during these times. Hence, I can get better FE on my i10.

5. Avoid rush traffic: As much as possible, we avoid peak traffic hours and plan our drive so that we are not caught up in anticipated traffic jams.

My point is, it IS possible to get decent-to-good FE figures on an i10, provided the factors (driving styles and road conditions) are favourable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The "city" in city driving also matters a lot A city like Panjim, where misquitas does most of his driving must have much more free flowing traffic than say, a city that suffers from congestion and bumper-to-bumper traffic, like Bangalore or Chennai.

Hyundai's petrol engines are known to give varying fuel efficiency figures based on driving style, traffic, road conditions etc. The highway figures for Hyundai's petrol engines are surprisingly consistent and good (which helps a lot in getting a respectable ARAI figure), while the city figures vary by a very wide margin.
I fully agree with the 'city' conditions that you have mentioned in your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Quite frankly, I am disappointed with Hyundai. It is not the features that I am looking at but to me, all the cars are looking the same.

...but here everything is from the grandfather and exact copy.

Your cars may sell, but sooner or later, people will start getting bored with the "fluidic" looks. To me, it has already started looking dated.
Sounds similar to many complaints regarding the aesthetics of Samsung Galaxy phones. However, I reckon that if this "formula" works well with Hyundai (or Samsung, for that matter), why change the mould?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
in all probability, i10 grand is being launched on 3rd September. Lets see then. The clear picture is not far now.
Yup. I'm eagerly waiting for the team-bhp detailed road test on the Grand i10, which, I hope, will be shortly after the Grand i10 is officially launched. The picture will be very clear then.

Last edited by misquitas : 31st August 2013 at 20:39.
misquitas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 22:28   #197
BHPian

Quote:
I already like this car! Whether I will just like it or move ahead to own it - depends on the value proposition. My wife's Santro is due for an upgrade now, after 12.5 yrs and still going strong at 80K kms. Never once did it break-down or give us any trouble of any kind.
Yes, the value proposition is vital to determine if the Grand i10 is a success or not.

My dad also had only words of praise for the Santro, while he had the car with him from 2002 till May 2008, a few months before he passed away. A reliable, no-nonsense car that delivered day in and day out. The only reason he sold the car was he had bought a Santro Zip-Plus without PS and a non-PS car was becoming difficult for him as he had touched 78 in 2008.

Quote:
Surely Hyundai's are not cheap to maintain, but I am willing to pay the premium and will go back to the ASC only.
I too prefer going to the Hyundai ASC, but I am careful not to agree to everything that they suggest during the service. Quite often, they include the optional facilities along with the essential service and as a result, the service bill shoots up. If you politely decline everything "recommended" by the ASC advisor and only opt for what is "specified" in the service manual, the bill should be reasonable. I have paid service bills ranging from about Rs 1000 to about Rs 4000 and the experience with the Goa Hyundai ASC has been very pleasant so far.

Quote:
Hyundai can really turn the heat on Maruti - will they succeed? 3 days to tell
Whether or not Hyundai succeeds in turning the heat on Maruti, it will be the customer who will be the biggest beneficiary. The two companies will be vying for the same target customer and one can expect a bagful of offers and discounts from these two Indian auto giants.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:12   #198
Senior - BHPian

The launch is tomorrow, September 3rd.

From the Hyundai website: http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Main/index.html

And the teaser for 'Fun finds a new lingo!'

Last edited by sarathlal : 2nd September 2013 at 11:14.
sarathlal is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:13   #199
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the car yesterday. If initial impressions are anything to go by, Hyundai has a winner on its hands. The design is pleasing, and most will like it, unlike the love it or hate it eon.

Interiors are very well loaded and fit n finish is top notch. The rear Ac vent and on board storage for music is a neat touch. Kudos to hyundai for bringing these features into the small car segment.

The crdi is reminiscent of the accent 3pot with a bit of vibes felt at idle.

If priced sensibly this case has the potential to be a game changer!
JayD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:47   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Checked out the car yesterday..
Any idea if it will be launched in automatic transmission, though the supposed brochure, that leaked, does not talk of automatic version. Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:48   #201
BHPian

Got official word from the dealership last evening on i10 Grand Automatic. It would be released on in Nov/Dec 2013 timeline.

I am a bit upset with Hyundai.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:02   #202
BHPian

catch the live webcast at http://hyundai.vsworld.com/index.php

after bearing honda's japenese bosses, get ready to suffer korean english!

-100mm longer than european one

-256litre boot

Last edited by rock75 : 3rd September 2013 at 12:28.
rock75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:05   #203
BHPian

Filled the test drive request form on Hyundai website yesterday and received a follow-up call from Hyundai, Delhi in a few hours.

Pleasantly surprised as the TD form filled by me for Amaze and Ecosport did not result in any response. Happy to know that Hyundai is sticking to basics, will wait and see if the dealers in Bangalore will do the same.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:07   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
Filled the test drive request form on Hyundai website yesterday and received a follow-up call from Hyundai, Delhi in a few hours.

Pleasantly surprised as the TD form filled by me for Amaze and Ecosport did not result in any response. Happy to know that Hyundai is sticking to basics, will wait and see if the dealers in Bangalore will do the same.
Same here, I too requested for same yesterday evening. Got a call in morning today that my request is being forwarded to the nearest dealership.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:50   #205
Senior - BHPian

Introductory pricing:

Asta Petrol: 5.47 Lac ex Delhi
Asta Diesel: 6.41 Lac ex Delhi
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:51   #206

Following are the prices that were announced at the launch today:

Prices (Ex Showroom Delhi)

Petrol
Asta 547800
Sportz: 488800
Magna: 449400
Era: 429900

Diesel
Asta: 641600
Sportz: 582600
Magna: 543200
Era: 523700
hp2k2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:57   #207
BHPian

There is no mention of any auto tranny and the price(s) might be for manual petrol version only. Disappointed.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 3rd September 2013 at 13:09.
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:03   #208
Senior - BHPian

Disappointed with the diesel. Hyundai is known to bloat power output figures and 70 bhp isnt too much anyway.
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:20   #209
BHPian

According to Carwale, ABS is standard across all variants. (I have not checked for Petrol.)
Source : http://www.carwale.com/comparecars/c...3078&car4=3079

Can anybody please confirm?

if so, Era/Magna makes absolute VFM.
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:25   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp2k2 View Post
Following are the prices that were announced at the launch today:

Prices (Ex Showroom Delhi)

Petrol
Asta 547800
Sportz: 488800
Magna: 449400
Era: 429900
Perfect pricing, I must say. Just a few thousands more than the original i10 gets you a car that is much improved in almost all respects.

Even the diesel is priced well, even though it is a wee bit more than I anticipated. But then, diesel Hyundai cars have always been costlier than their counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Disappointed with the diesel. Hyundai is known to bloat power output figures and 70 bhp isnt too much anyway.
Yes, but I assume the Grand i10 would also be ~100 kg lighter than the competition, which compensates for the power deficit. Also, the typical Hyundai customer will hardly consider it to be a deal-breaker as long as the engine gives a good fuel-efficiency.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed