Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2021, 08:30   #1501
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Grand i10 brakes: Bite is too sharp and abrupt.
Yes, the initial bite is quite sharp. This is limited to the Grand i10 I feel as I haven't noticed this in the Verna and Creta.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 16:44   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Grand i10 brakes: Bite is too sharp and abrupt.
I have this issue on my 2018 Grand i10 as well. On a cold start, the brake bite is erratic. One the disc heats up, the issue tends to subside a bit. I did complain this to multiple service centers. Almost every SA shrugged this off as new car and that brakes need time to settle in (whatever that means). One SA even said that it is a good thing since the brakes are sharp
furyrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 13:49   #1503
BHPian

Folks, need some quick suggestion/advice

I have a i10 1.1L 2009 model. The car has been working reasonably well without any major issues. Last Friday evening when I started the car, I noticed that the EPS light was on continously and the steering had gone hard. I was anyway planning to get the car serviced, so I visited the service center on Saturday and left the car. They tried to check the motor, the module and couldn't solve it on Saturday and suspected that it is a wiring issue. Today they called and told me that they are unable to find any problem with the wiring so it must be the ECU as the steering hardness continues even after replacing the motor and there is no error registered from the EPS module. Now the ECU costs ₹34K + labor and service will cost me nothing less than ₹45K. The car runs perfectly fine, there is no other issue like engine roughness, misfiring, etc. I'm not convinced that ECU replacement is the answer for this as the service center seemed to have come to this conclusion as they are unable to fix it by replacing the motor. They want me to confirm so that they can order the part as this is an old model and has to come from Chennai.

Should I go ahead with the ECU replacement or is there any other option that needs to be checked?
Old 12th September 2021, 22:35   #1504
BHPian

Grand i10 Initial ownership impressions.
PROLOUGE
I have been an avid reader of Team-bhp and it’s forums since 2017 , i had just completed my 10th grade and I was certainly excited to learn how to drive but as I was under- age I would just go to the parking and start My dad’s swift and I would feel connected to car but fate had other plans within 6 months of performing this exercise i banged the car in the wall and damaged the bumper that too on the day of diwali( car wasn’t in neutral). After that day I didn’t even come close to driving seat. Come 2019 i was just about to turn 18 and rest of my family by that time had learned to drive a car. The need for a car was imminent and that’s when we decided to bring in Grand I10 1.2 Sportz. At present the car has clocked more than 11,000 km.

Pros:-
European design makes it feels timeless
Build quality
1.2l Engine is a GEM
Quality interiors
Reliability
VFM factor

Cons:-
AC ineffectiveness
Steering feel and feedback, it’s too light and not confidence inspiring
Mileage, the mileage has never gone beyond 14.5 kmpl whether on city or highway
The power in first and second gear is acceptable at best, it’s very stall friendly.
Apart from these any cons will be more of nitpick .

Once you step your foot inside the car and close the door you will notice how better the sheet metal is in compared to the Maruti’s of that iteration, once inside it feels like a cocoon, it cuts the outside noise, very silent, and the moment you start the car you will realize how fantastic the NVH levels are, there’s a sweet petrol engine running sound but it never bothers.

On the move, one will notice that the engine is butter smooth and creamy and one will enjoy driving the machine, it’s so revv happy and peppy that it can hit the 100 kmph in 3rd gear itself, however in traffic to traffic conditions the 1st two gears feel dead and acceptable at best , it feels short-geared as well but once in the 3rd and the car can fly. The mid- range is super strong and once the car goes past 1800/2000 rpm the car pulls and pulls, it will bring a big smile on your face. The gearbox is smooth shifting and the transition from 3rd to 4th can be done with a tip of a finger, yes it’s that smooth. The clutch is light and has short travel. The only noise on the move is that of the tyres that too only on concrete roads. The infotainment is fantastic no lag, no glitches and hardly any sun glare. The music quality is good.

On the flip side , the brakes are a bit soggy and there’s isn’t much bite. The steering feel and feedback is a big big miss in the previous generation Hyundai cars, it just feels dead from the start, there’s lot of vagueness in the center and no heft, it’s just too light. The kind of engine it has deserved a better steering. The AC is a big turn-off, it doesn’t cool much when fan speed is at 1, also makes noise once in 2nd speed. The rear ac vents are totally useless. There’s a noticeable difference in power feel if the AC is turned off. I also miss adjustable headrests and rear washper-wiper.

The suspension setup is quite soft and it absorbs the bumps and potholes very well. In the city these bumps and potholes don’t even feel cruel. It has a brilliant ride quality as a result but the handling as mentioned is completely otherwise.

The after-sales service is pretty good as well, in the initial days the reverse gear wouldn’t engage properly and the service center ensured that problem didn’t occur again. In fact they made sure to follow-up after one week of fixing the issue.
The periodic service enables to point out the the problems and service center ensures that the problem is solved.

Due to lockdowns and safety the car hasn’t clocked more kms, but the time spent has already been satisfying. Looking forward to driving more.

PS - This was my first initial ownership review and I would love some feedback from members. Also as there are tons of pictures I didn’t attach a picture.
Oomph11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 23:17   #1505
BHPian

Hi guys, it seems like the AC compressor of my Grand i10 2013 has finally given way. If anyone has got it replaced or has an idea about the costs involved, it would be great if you could share it. Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 09:29   #1506
BHPian

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-car.jpg
1 lakh KMs and going strong.

My memory goes as back as when I was barely a 5 year old boy!
When I was 5, I fought with my father for a bicycle.
When I was 10, I fought for a bigger bicycle.
When I was 15, I fought for a second hand Bajaj Chetak/Priya scooter.
When I went to college, I fought for a bike.
I can't remember but, I might as well have fought for a tri-cycle when I was 3.

Some of these wishes were fulfilled and some were ignored, but, I always remained dissatisfied with the set of wheels I owned(or did not get to own).

Fast forward to 2014, I was doing well in my corporate job and had filled enough ITRs to be able to get a car loan. I was decided on getting myself a car - my first one and I did not know how to drive a car. Here is how it all panned out:

The Noise...

As this was going to be first car in our family, everyone was excited. There was no shortage of suggestions and recommendations from family, friends and well wishers:

Everyone be like - "You don't know how to drive - get a second hand Alto"
Father be like - "Maruti hi leni hai"
Mother be like - "road par bahut accident hote hain, don't buy a car"
Siblings - "Koi bhi gadi lo but jaldi lo"
Car expert friend - "Get Maruti Alto or Hyundai Eon for your first car"
More experts - "Wagon R/Santro/Celerio if not Alto/Eon"

And Me...

Like a monk, I was listening to all this quietly. I took my sweet time till all the excitement died and everyone was convinced that I just created a hype and was not serious about getting a car. In my heart I was in love with the VW Polo but, it always remained above my budget. I also had my eyes on Nissan Micra, Honda Brio and Hyundai Grand i10. It was that time when I discovered this legendary forum called Team-BHP and I spent good part of 3 months going through the different threads on car ownership and advice.

One thing Team-BHP does is to push you to go for what you truly want. So the forum convinced me that my thought process was right. In my mind I had shortlisted the Honda Brio and Hyundai Grand i10. Still, like a true Indian buyer I visited showrooms of different brands just to be sure that I did not miss on any hidden gem of a car. Since I did not know how to drive, I would check for the look and feel of the car inside out and ask the SA to drive me out on the road while I gauge the ride quality and anything else I could pick up during the test drive.

The Decision and booking...

One look at the Honda Brio and that odd rear coupled with small boot made it easier for me to decide on the Hyundai Grand i10. By this time Nissan Micra was out of contention for no specific reasons. Having finalized the car, I was excited and eager to get the car home, but, alas! Hyundai Grand i10 was a car in demand and commanded a waiting period of more than 6 weeks. I went from one Hyundai showroom to another but to no avail. All this while I never thought of any other car, so, I had to get the Grand i10.

Finally, one of the dealers promised to deliver the car within a month and I quickly made the booking. Since the car was high in demand there was no discount but I managed to get accessories worth 8000. The loan was processed within a week and I had also arranged for the down payment.

Wait, wait, more wait and Delivery...

I kept chasing the SA on daily basis who was a nice guy for a salesman. He kept me informed and genuinely tried to speed up the car allotment. Finally after 3 weeks (felt like an year), the SA advised me that the car would reach the dealership the next day and I can take the delivery on the same day. I reached the dealership as early as the showroom opened even without confirming with the SA. As the luck would have it, the truck ferrying the car got delayed and could not enter Delhi in time before the traffic restrictions are enforced in the morning. The truck could only enter Delhi at night and it meant the delivery could only be taken the next day. Even 1 day seemed a long long way away at that moment. I asked the SA for a workaround, he talked to the showroom manager and they arranged for a driver who would get the car off-loaded from the truck and drive it to the showroom - I agreed at once and we were back on track to get the car delivered the same day. Since the truck was some 50KMs away, the SA advised us to go home and come back after 3-4 hours. We went to the nearby shopping mall as I did not want to go home without the car. We somehow killed those 4 hours and went back to the showroom. The SA advised the car would reach soon, he had also completed all the formalities in the background. The car reached the showroom by 8:30PM and we did the PDI - thanks to my friend. I was so excited that I didn't even bother about the PDI.

Since it was late, the SA asked me to take the accessories with me and get them fitted the next day. I happily took the delivery.

It is now more than 7 years and 1 lakh KMs and I am every bit happy with the decision I took 7 years back. Here, listing down some Pros and Cons:

Pros
1. Great ergonomics(realized after driving other cars) and super easy to drive.
2. Feature list can put cars a couple of segments higher to shame - cooled glove box, rear AC vents, electric adjustable and folding ORVMs, push button start, keyless entry and go.
3. Spacious cabin as compared to the competition.
4. Easy to get serviced and reliable - haven't left me stranded anywhere.
5. NVH levels - stop at a traffic light and tell me if the ignition is ON even after 1 lakh KMs. Even on the move, the cabin is silent.

Cons
1. No safety feature apart from the brakes and seat belts.
2. The body seems relatively fragile.
3. Long journeys can be tiresome.
4. The engine is dead below 2500RPM level.
5. The boot is adequate at best.

100000 KMs...

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-1l.jpg

The car has been driven on the city roads for about 70000 KMs. But, I have taken it to places where it is not intended to go. I belong to a remote village in Uttarakhand and regularly take the car there. Sure, the roads have improved a lot, still the last few KMs have the worst or no roads. I have taken the car to Badrinath and the valley of flowers in extreme monsoon season and it did not disappoint. The car has seen remote places in Punjab, Uttarakhand, Himanchal, Rajasthan. Every time I think this is the limit, the Grand i10 pushes me for more in the grandest fashion. Few parting shots from some of the road trips I made in the Grand i10:

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-cloud.jpg
On the way to Badrinath

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-rain.jpg
Close to the Valley of Flowers

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-river.jpg
My hometown on the way to Kedarnath

P.S. I am upgrading to a new car and "The Noise" is back - "get a Sonet/Venue/Nexon". Well, I have just booked myself a MG Hector.
TheVegabond is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 09:58   #1507
BHPian

Hi BHPians

I have a Grand i10 Petrol Automatic (2015, torque convertor) model. The ODO is around 36,000 kms.

The car has been used on city roads more than 90% of the time.

Recently, I started witnessing the following problems:

1) Low pickup through the entire speed range.
2) Overtaking is very tough - the car does not deliver power even when I use the second gear at 60 kmph
3) When I drive the car with three fellow passengers, the problem becomes worse.

Service History:
15 December 2020 - 29500 kms
-- Oil change, using synthetic oil since first service
-- Air filter change
-- Oil filter change
-- Spark Plugs changed (I did not see any problems but got them changed at the suggestion of the mechanic. One plug was quite brown; hence, I took that decision)
-- Brake disc grinding and disc pads replaced

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Old 20th November 2021, 21:23   #1508
BHPian

Similar problem I was facing after using synthetic oil last year.
Due to Covid, I missed changing the oil and drove almost 4000 additional kms. Oil went really bad.
Did a flush and put regular oil (2 service intervals), I did also change the engine gasket. The car has gotten infinitely better.

Last edited by neofromcapone : 20th November 2021 at 21:26. Reason: typo
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 05:51   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Similar problem I was facing after using synthetic oil last year.
Due to Covid, I missed changing the oil and drove almost 4000 additional kms. Oil went really bad.
Did a flush and put regular oil (2 service intervals), I did also change the engine gasket. The car has gotten infinitely better.
No need to flush. Drain the oil and refill it. Then change the oil again after say another 1000-1500 km if there is too much sludge in the engine.
Old 21st November 2021, 07:17   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
Hi guys, it seems like the AC compressor of my Grand i10 2013 has finally given way. If anyone has got it replaced or has an idea about the costs involved, it would be great if you could share it. Thanks
The compressor is about 18k to replace with labour. My AC had given up ghost last year. Got it fixed this year from Professional Hyundai. Compressor was ok but I had to change my condenser and some hoses. That job was 8-9k i think, and fairly labour intensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVegabond View Post
Attachment 2233796
1 lakh KMs and going strong.

100000 KMs...

Attachment 2233794

[/ATTACH]
Nicely summed up. Good to hear that it's been a pleasant ownership experience. I have a Grand i10 of similar vintage but with half the kms that you have covered. Was hoping if you could share some details on long term maintenance items, and and costs if possible. It would be supremely helpful and a good point of reference. Cheers!
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 16:42   #1511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurbhageria View Post
Hi BHPians

I have a Grand i10 Petrol Automatic (2015, torque convertor) model. The ODO is around 36,000 kms.

The car has been used on city roads more than 90% of the time.

Recently, I started witnessing the following problems:

1) Low pickup through the entire speed range.
2) Overtaking is very tough - the car does not deliver power even when I use the second gear at 60 kmph
3) When I drive the car with three fellow passengers, the problem becomes worse.

Service History:
15 December 2020 - 29500 kms
-- Oil change, using synthetic oil since first service
-- Air filter change
-- Oil filter change
-- Spark Plugs changed (I did not see any problems but got them changed at the suggestion of the mechanic. One plug was quite brown; hence, I took that decision)
-- Brake disc grinding and disc pads replaced

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Update: 23 Nov 2021

Hi

I had my car serviced. Nothing out of the ordinary - just plain service

Engine oil, oil filter, air filter, and AC filter changed; coolant top-up.

To my surprise, the engine oil was in really horrible condition. I did not expect fully synthetic oil (Helix Ultra) to degrade that much in 7,000 km/11 months.

An oil change (without flush) has been sufficient. Most problems are resolved.

Thank you all.
Old 24th November 2021, 15:42   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Nicely summed up. Good to hear that it's been a pleasant ownership experience. I have a Grand i10 of similar vintage but with half the kms that you have covered. Was hoping if you could share some details on long term maintenance items, and and costs if possible. It would be supremely helpful and a good point of reference. Cheers!
Thanks.

Here, trying to summarize overall service experience and costs:

1. I have always adhered to the prescribed service schedule and got the car serviced only at Hyundai service centers.
2. The major part of the service bill has always been the engine oil as I have stuck to synthetic oil which I believe has helped the engine to be in good condition in long run.
3. The average service bill has generally been between Rs7000 to Rs9000. I have found the service advisors to be pushing for unnecessary and value aided service items - this is same across different service centers.
4. Had the clutch assembly changed at ~40k KMs as the clutch paddle started getting heavy and made creaking noise. The cost was around Rs8500 including labor charges. The clutch has been in fine condition since then.
5. Got the tyres changed at 63k KMs. The Goodyear stock tyres 165/65/R14 were changed to Bridgestone 165/70/R14. I must say this has been a great switch. Not that I was unhappy with the Goodyear tyres but, Bridgestone tyres has made the ride quality really better and I have experience a lot less number of tyre punctures. The cost of tyre change was Rs13500 for 4 tyres.
6. I have got the bumper scratches repaired and got the bumpers painted from FNG once at Rs3200.
7. Also, got the Exide battery changed in the fourth year of ownership which costed Rs2900.
8. Go the brake shoes changed a couple of times at ~Rs1200.
9. I also get the car washed, waxed and polished inside out once in 4-6 months which usually costs around Rs1000 to Rs1500.

I believe all of these expenses are expected and have really helped in keeping the car in good shape.

Hope this was helpful.
TheVegabond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 09:54   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVegabond View Post
Thanks.

Here, trying to summarize overall service experience and costs:

1. I have always adhered to the prescribed service schedule and got the car serviced only at Hyundai service centers.
2. The major part of the service bill has always been the engine oil as I have stuck to synthetic oil which I believe has helped the engine to be in good condition in long run.
3. The average service bill has generally been between Rs7000 to Rs9000. I have found the service advisors to be pushing for unnecessary and value aided service items - this is same across different service centers.
4. Had the clutch assembly changed at ~40k KMs as the clutch paddle started getting heavy and made creaking noise. The cost was around Rs8500 including labor charges. The clutch has been in fine condition since then.
5. Got the tyres changed at 63k KMs. The Goodyear stock tyres 165/65/R14 were changed to Bridgestone 165/70/R14. I must say this has been a great switch. Not that I was unhappy with the Goodyear tyres but, Bridgestone tyres has made the ride quality really better and I have experience a lot less number of tyre punctures. The cost of tyre change was Rs13500 for 4 tyres.
6. I have got the bumper scratches repaired and got the bumpers painted from FNG once at Rs3200.
7. Also, got the Exide battery changed in the fourth year of ownership which costed Rs2900.
8. Go the brake shoes changed a couple of times at ~Rs1200.
9. I also get the car washed, waxed and polished inside out once in 4-6 months which usually costs around Rs1000 to Rs1500.

I believe all of these expenses are expected and have really helped in keeping the car in good shape.

Hope this was helpful.
Thanks this is indeed very helpful. I was thinking back - my car has just had regular service which is similar 7-8k a year (only at Hyundai), insurance, one battery change, tire swap at 5 year mark, and a one off AC condenser which conked off last year. I assumed I should expect some hefty clutch and brake bills soon but they seem reasonable as well as per your experience. Good to know. Am sort of 'considering' changing cars at the moment. All the best for your new car!!
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 11:52   #1514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I assumed I should expect some hefty clutch and brake bills soon but they seem reasonable as well as per your experience. Good to know. Am sort of 'considering' changing cars at the moment. All the best for your new car!!
The clutch giving away was more to do with the fact that I learnt driving on this car. The car has proven to be reliable with all the parts still in a really good shape.

Do let us know about your new car whenever you get one.
Old 10th December 2021, 16:21   #1515
BHPian

Odo:32931 km
Service: 3rd paid service / 50K
Place: Trident Hyundai, Hosur road, Bangalore
Fuel: Petrol
Service Supervisor: Yogandhar V
Cost : Rs. 14022
Fello bhpians,

My car has done 33k and has been regularly maintained at Hyundai ASS At Trident Hyundai Hosur road, Bangalore, Thanks to Covid-19, Last 2 years My car odo run 12k only. so far, My car is running fine and has no major problem.

1. first paid service was 23k in Dec 2019
2. 2nd paid service was 26K in Dec 2020

I did my 3rd paid service yesterday, got a surprise bill, looks like Hyundai is not a cheaper service especially in Paid service. apart from regular periodic maintenance, the service supervisor pushed me

1. A/C Evaporator cleaning - He said it is mandatory during 50K service - estimated Rs.2100
2. Internal panel protection - he said, It will help to suspension and apply some lubricants - estimated Rs.2050

looking for your valuable comments on the above 2 parts. It is really necessary to do the 50k maintenance.

I said no to wheel alignment and balancing and will do it outside, attaching an invoice for the same as well.
It would be interesting to know the views of Bhpians on the invoice and what could be done to avoid unnecessary expenses on maintenance. I should take a note and avoid it in the next maintenance.

One issue I noticed recently The trip meter always resets whenever I start the car. I informed the same of the advisor.
I believe it was resolved. I will post the comments after some usage in my car.

1. OEM battery (Exide) still exists - still running 5 years - Service Adviser informed to change the battery, any time it will give up
but I feel it is running fine - They quoted 4.5 K (5.5K - 1K (exchange) = 4.5K) Amaron battery with 2 years warranty. I said a big no to them.

I checked the local dealer
They quoted
Exide 4 K (5K - 1K (exchange) = 4K) - 55 months warranty
Amaron 3.8 K - 24 months warranty

few glimpses during the service:

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-1.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-2.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-3.jpg

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 1208
Size:  53.0 KB

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-5.jpg