Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2013, 21:47   #196
BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! Next-gen 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India

Sorry guys got fooled by the size. Its the i10grand !!
Everytime hyundai releases something it ends up killing its own siblings than killing competition. This time grand will take on i20 instead of swift diesel. All the best.
Old 10th October 2013, 00:47   #197

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Hello friends,

It is almost more than a month since grand was launched but still keeps me in dilemma if I had to go for it or not.

Keeping an eye on petrol model and looking at the price of grand i10(sports) and i20(magna option) are almost the same after discounts, I am confused where I should keep my bet. Neither the sales executives were able to give a clear opinion of it saying that both are almost the same. Except for the rear A/C in grand or large space of i20, is there any constraints in both of these models?

Although I had the Figo as an alternative option even prior the launch of grand i10, fear of buying an obsolete product overtakes me from taking the ownership of it inspite of heavy discounts and 3 year free maintenance that is being advertised.

Or will i20 also become obsolete within a year by the launching of i30 in India which is expected.
Old 10th October 2013, 09:07   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepchristy View Post
Hello friends,

Keeping an eye on petrol model and looking at the price of grand i10(sports) and i20(magna option) are almost the same after discounts, I am confused where I should keep my bet.

Although I had the Figo as an alternative option even prior the launch of grand i10, fear of buying an obsolete product overtakes me from taking the ownership of it inspite of heavy discounts and 3 year free maintenance that is being advertised.

Or will i20 also become obsolete within a year by the launching of i30 in India which is expected.
I was basically in a similar dilemma but TBHP'ians here made things pretty clear to me. Now, I am waiting till December / January to finally make the decision based on the situation then.

Nonetheless, for your problem I think you will have to break down the comparison to each feature with weightage to each feature of Grand i10 and i20.

I have not driven Grand i10 Petrol at all so cannot comment on that.
Moreover, I have just Test Driven Petrol i20 and was not impressed, maybe it's my personal view. Other TBHP'ians can help you in that regard.

Other point you might want to consider is that i20 is a tried and tested model whereas Grand i10 is new and exciting.

Figo is nice too, but one disadvantagefor Ford is the ASS and costly spares. And yes, low seating, you really have to crouch down to get in Figo. Other than that I like Figo too (even with manual rear windows).

Well, all I can say is that you have to make the decision practically and/or by following your heart!
Old 10th October 2013, 11:25   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
Other point you might want to consider is that i20 is a tried and tested model whereas Grand i10 is new and exciting. Figo is nice too, but one disadvantagefor Ford is the ASS and costly spares. And yes, low seating, you really have to crouch down to get in
Thanks teemus. I have test driven petrol version of grand. After Driving the verna for the past one year, I never felt any excitement in driving it. Of course I shouldn't compare these two as they are in different segment. Since grand and i20 have same engine for petrol version, I don't think that there would be any difference in drivability or the engine behavior. When a tested and proved i20 which has got more space could be availed at same price of smaller and yet to be proven grand, I wonder what makes the buyers to opt for grand more than I20. Is it because of the craze for getting a new model or is there something that grand really has got with it.
Old 11th October 2013, 03:08   #200
BHPian

Hi Pradeep,

My two cent on this ...

i20 was never a very successful car in India and now i30 (as you rightly said) is due to launch in India and very soon we may have the i40 as well !!

i10 on the other hand has been a very successful car in India. Somehow, the Grand wins over i20. Smaller turning radius of Grand, same engine as i20, rear AC in Grand, though a slightly compromised boot space compared to i20, threat of i20 being cannibalized by i30, modern looks of Grand, a newer product, not proven I agree - but i10 is proven in petrol and Hyundai is proven - so technologically not a big threat. In Kolkata alone 10,000 Grands have been booked over the last 1 month since its launch.

Are you only focusing on Petrol variant (whatever the model may be) or do you have diesel in mind as well? Then comments will change.

Regards,
Saurav
sauravdc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 09:25   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravdc View Post
Hi Pradeep,

i20 was never a very successful car in India and now i30 (as you rightly said) is due to launch in India and very soon we may have the i40 as well !!
These are my 2 cents. I don't follow many car brands in India, but one of the brands I do keep a close watch on internationally and locally, is Hyundai.
i20 while it doesnt sell as much as a Swift, holds its own in India, rounding off the top 6-7 sellers on a consistent basis. It's a no-nonsense car with plenty of tech kit, which is the reason why prices are a bit on the high and demand is lower that usual. Yes it doesn't give that thrilling road-feel which is about to be corrected in the 2014 i20 which is undergoing testing in both Korea and Germany. Insiders tip is it might come with cruise control and 2 steering modes (Light/Sport) much like i30.

Now coming to i30, which is 9 inches longer than i20, has a 1.4 GDI, cruise control, hill start assist and 7 airbags, dual panoramic glass roof, auto parallel park assist (Hyundai doesnt cut down features in India which I love), and a build quality which perplexed the chief of VW as nothing rattled, not even a steering adjustment lever, and you will be left with an on-road price of atleast 15 lakhs, high but worth every rupee if you ask me. So it's really unfair to compare i20 and i30. The only thing common between them is they are both designed by Thomas Bürkle the former BMW design chief. There is no official news of i30's entry to India yet IMK.

I can say this very confidently, i40 won't come to India at all. That's because it's already here under its American name, designed by former BMW U.S Chris Chapman - Sonata. i40 is just a European nomenclature for the Sonata which is in the 25L bracket. India gets the best of Hyundai models of U.S (Elantra, Sonata, Accent) and Europe (i20, i10) so I do feel lucky. Under the circumstances I doubt i30 will land here as it will hurt Verna (Accent) sales on one end and Elantra on the other and vice versa. India isn't mature enough for a super-luxury hatch. Grand i10 is definetly 2 levels above its older version but i20 as its supposed to be, is better.

Last edited by dark.knight : 11th October 2013 at 09:36.
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 12:14   #202
BHPian

Thanks ...

Surely a lot of learning info for me. Seems you are a die-hard Hyundai fan. Great piece of writeup with condensed knowledge.

Regards,
Saurav
Old 11th October 2013, 13:14   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Since grand and i20 have same engine for petrol version, I don't think that there would be any difference in drivability or the engine behavior. When a tested and proved i20 which has got more space could be availed at same price of smaller and yet to be proven grand, I wonder what makes the buyers to opt for grand more than I20.
Well, all the more reason that Petrol Grand i10 will perform better than i20 as with the similar engine it's lot less heavy and slightly better FE. Yes, cabin space and boot is a little less.
Personally I love both of them, but considering I am looking for a Diesel with good FE (as around 40-50KM of city driving daily) and I am trying to stretch my budget to go for top-end variant (with ABS & Airbag), I have only 2 options left viz. Grand i10 Asta or Figo.
Anyways, I am planning to switch the car only after December or January so I have time on my hand to decide.
Old 11th October 2013, 15:49   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

Now coming to i30, which is 9 inches longer than i20, has a 1.4 GDI, cruise control, hill start assist and 7 airbags, dual panoramic glass roof, auto parallel park assist (Hyundai doesnt cut down features in India which I love), and a build quality
Appreciate your crisp thought. Last year I had personally seen the i30 at Busan, Korea and I admired it a lot. I was so keen on expecting that it would be launched in india but never happened till date.

As my present search for the cars is limited to petrol version hatch and to be used by my family in city self-drive, should I finalize grand(sports) or i20(magna option) or Figo(Zx) as I like all three cars personally but my concern is also a better resale value after 5 to 6 years.
Old 11th October 2013, 17:21   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you say that they i20 was not successful in India ? I think it has been very successful, continuously selling around the 7k mark right from launch. After the Swift, its the i20 that comes in second (sales) among the premium hatches.

People deciding between the Grand i10 & i20, please do check the back seat of the i20 properly. I have found the backrest a little too upright and not too comfortable whereas the Grand i10 seemed much better.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 11th October 2013 at 17:22.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 18:15   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
should I finalize grand(sports) or i20(magna option) or Figo(Zx) as I like all three cars personally but my concern is also a better resale value after 5 to 6 years.
I've said this before, since resale is important Figo is out as its the old model which will soon be outdated, plus its petrol engine lacks muscle. You can go for Magna (O) if its i20, always stretch to the best factory option when buying. If you want big rear legspace & 60-40 folding bootspace (295 litres vs Gi10's 256 litres) then its i20. If you want a more peppy drive, slightly more balanced suspension, better rear seat back-incline choose Gi10. Gi10 since its a new launch and more of a mass car, will retain resale value better over 5 years than i20. Doesn't mean i20 also doesnt hold its value well which it does. For your requirement, Grand is my pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
After the Swift, its the i20 that comes in second (sales) among the premium hatches.
You're absolutely right, also agree with the seat incline situation in i20. While it makes up to some part with absolutely huge legroom and flat floor hump, they could've easily given it 2 adjustable levels of incline like I have in the 1.3 Getz Prime which is its predecessor.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 03:27   #207
BANNED

Quote:
In Kolkata alone 10,000 Grands have been booked over the last 1 month since its launch.
I am going to buy 1kg of salt to swallow this! 10k in kolkatha alone? Pan India, it should be.
Old 12th October 2013, 06:49   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Why do you say that they i20 was not successful in India ? I think it has been very successful, continuously selling around the 7k mark right from launch. After the Swift, its the i20 that comes in second (sales) among the premium hatches.

People deciding between the Grand i10 & i20, please do check the back seat of the i20 properly. I have found the backrest a little too upright and not too comfortable whereas the Grand i10 seemed much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I am going to buy 1kg of salt to swallow this! 10k in kolkatha alone? Pan India, it should be.
@ fiat_tarun

i20 may have had sold in numbers all India, but feedback from owners have never been an instantaneous positive one. My society has 14 cars and 3 are i20 !! 5 are swifts owned by GOI U/T, so leave them out as owners did not choose to buy them, they got the cars (+drivers) assigned from their office. Of the balance 9, 1 Brio, 1 Innova, 1 Ritz, 1 Wagon R, 1 Alto, 1 M800, 3 i20.

Owners, SAs, etc have never spoken GREAT about i20 Vs Swift/i10. All the three i20 owners prefer to have had bought "something" else. It cannot be a post purchase dissonance alone. Moreover the frequency of visibility of these cars on the road is less than Swift/i10 (I'm only talking of Kolkata city).

Still, it is a general feel that i20 was not a very successful car in India or shall I say Kolkata (compared to Swift, i10, etc.)

@ romeomidhun
Grand booked 10K in Kolkata alone? You will buy 1kg salt to digest this? I had an indigestion when I was given this figure (by Hyundai sales guy). Even I asked whether it is number of people shown interest or actual bookings after paying money? He insisted it be bookings in Kolkata !!
Meaning, all cars of WB02AE series will now only be Hyundai Grand ??!!?? and no other !!
It can max be pan WB. But seems unlikely. Pan India as suggested by you is more likely.
And for the last 5 days Hyundai has called my wife (her no was given) 10 times (exaggeration) but not been able to arrange a single Hyundai Grand diesel car for a test drive !! (I stay in a Metro city with 4/5 Huyndai dealers -- not village).
Already 1500 cars have been registered in AE series (checked from deliveries happened on Shasthi 10th October) and that includes all brands. I saw deliveries at Maruti showroom.
Anyway I take the 10K figure to be the company claim on booking figures. Maybe actual deliveries will spread over a few months !!

Regards,
Saurav
Old 13th October 2013, 09:46   #209
BANNED

Quote:
It can max be pan WB. But seems unlikely. Pan India as suggested by you is more likely.
Source: indianautosblog
Gi10 gets 13k booking all over India.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 13:35   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Source: indianautosblog
Gi10 gets 13k booking all over India.
Thanks for the info ...

Also I read in a site that queries pan India was around 1.1 lakhs one month after its launch.

However, for the sales guy it seems India = Kolkata (His world is so small). In Bengali we call it "kupamanduk", meaning, "knua ka mendhak" (frog that lives in a well), his world is confined to the well and is oblivious about the larger world.

Regards,
Saurav

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks