Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2013, 19:54   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
How come the shift from a diesel Figo to a petrol automatic ?
Let me try

1. Silence
2. Built quality
3. Loaded
4. Looks
5. 'auto'
Old 20th November 2013, 20:22   #287
BHPian

Lol...this for my mom...figo is still going strong at 90k kms...

So update on the auto...got it registered today and drove about 50 kms . Though it is slightly smaller than the Figo I find that I can't zip through traffic as I can with the Ford. Ford has me really spoilt though ride is little softer on the grand so good for the city.

I'm getting used to the auto box. My left leg keeps tingling though :-). Not driven in stop go traffic yet. One grouse from the auto is that when braking to a complete stop the car keeps moving so it's like braking against resistance, like you didn't depress the clutch. I'm now shifting to neutral before I come to stop to negate this.
fiery enzyme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:23   #288
BHPian

Dear Bhp-ians

Got my grand I10 on the 5 th of nov, the first thing I did was send it to Pete's for smart wax treatment as I realised that they far better than the Teflon offered by the co.

The following I love about my asta (o) model

Love the alloys they are super and no other car in this segment has these.
It's very comfortable in the rear seat without the "bobbing" effect.
It's comfortable for four people
I like the 1 gb storage as no need for pen drive or CDs everytime

Negative

Loses steam at high speeds
A little stiff on potholed roads
Didn't like the original Apollo tyres
Steering feels dead

The day I got the car from Pete's I had to drive it all the way from kochi to goa! I took the nh 17 all the way and since the car had 170 on the odo I knew I could not push her too hard.
As it is this highway can't be called one as it is a continuous town as anyone from Kerala will tell you. I was very impressed with the stability it offered on the 4 lane highway to trichur. But the car does not feel very nimble, ie it cannot be thrown around like a honda can. No complaints as the ride was really pliant. Drove all the way upto mangalore on the same day one thing was evident that this car does not tire you on long journeys one bit as I was behind the wheel for a good 10.5 hrs without much fatigue.
I felt the clutch was releasing a little too quickly and was very concerned as it was not fully engaging. I found out that the clutch cable was loose, grrrr.... Sorry Hyundai you need to do your PDI's more seriously.
The best was on the road between kundapur and bhatkal, it's a nightmare of potholes for 20 Km's. Not once did the car bottom out I saw a couple of Mercs hitting the craters .. Got a FE of about 15 which is low and I think it was because of the clutch cable or just that it needs to run in.
Did my first service in Hyundai goa, it's just an inspection service and they quickly tightened the clutch cable.
The steering has no feedback whatsoever. One piece of advice upgrade the tires. The stock are no good.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-image2743186286.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-image2647018862.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-image3371609504.jpg  

F458 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 14:07   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Only getting registered on Wednesday. Taking a long drive after that. Will definitely post a review after that.
Congratulations !! did you consider the Brio VX AT ? I'm in a similar dilemma, the lack of safety features in Grand i10 auto is putting me off, but everything else about the car is very good.
Old 25th November 2013, 18:26   #290

Hi, i am have been doing some research on the grand for quite some time, i am looking to buy the automatic for my wife, and the Asta in the Automatic has all the safety feature. (2 Air Bags, ABS, Rear Defogger etc). The Sportz does not have these features. However the cost difference is close to 32k between the Sportz and Asta in Bangalore..

I am planning to book my car next week, will let you know how it goes..
meteor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 22:31   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteor View Post
Hi, i am have been doing some research on the grand for quite some time, i am looking to buy the automatic for my wife, and the Asta in the Automatic has all the safety feature. (2 Air Bags, ABS, Rear Defogger etc). The Sportz does not have these features. However the cost difference is close to 32k between the Sportz and Asta in Bangalore..

I am planning to book my car next week, will let you know how it goes..
Hyundai Grand i10 Asta AT do not have ABS and Airbags. These safety features are only available on Asta (O) model which only comes with manual transmission. Kindly re-confirm from dealer about it and make decision accordingly. I have booked Grand i10 Asta AT and awaiting delivery by mid-December.
Old 25th November 2013, 23:27   #292

Oh, may be i understood wrong, i will double check with the dealer again, however do you know the cost difference of the Asta and the Asta O?
Old 26th November 2013, 12:27   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, may be i understood wrong, i will double check with the dealer again, however do you know the cost difference of the Asta and the Asta O?
Asta is available only with auto transmission and Asta (O) only with manual transmission. No Asta (O) in auto and no Asta in manual available.
Old 26th November 2013, 13:02   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
Congratulations !! did you consider the Brio VX AT ? I'm in a similar dilemma, the lack of safety features in Grand i10 auto is putting me off, but everything else about the car is very good.
I have driven the Brio AT extensively and trust me, if you are going to use it in the city, this is one car you don't want to have. The gearshifts are slow and even after the downshift, there is not much gain in speed at a rapid rate. I had to plan my overtakes like much much in advance.

I would seriously recommend the Micra AT. Its a brilliant transmission, gives super refined shifts ( CVT, so you can't make out) and gives an average which is way better than the Brio AT. Also the performance is phenomenal, at any point of time, it feels like its always on the boil. Awesome fun this.
Old 26th November 2013, 13:54   #295
BHPian

Guys,
I was in the service station for my i10 AT. I was enquiring about the i10 grand AT. The service advisor seemed confident on the i10 Grant Diesel AT. However, he was not sure when. Again he cautioned me against going for the grand now as there are some issues in the present production cars. He said the most frequent complaint was battery drain. Another issue he mentioned was the NVH level of the 3 cylinder engine. The steering set up is also very similar to i10 so he said chances are there for the steering noise issue and they have been asked to check the cars for any such thing.
Any first hand experiences?
999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 14:33   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I have driven the Brio AT extensively and trust me, if you are going to use it in the city, this is one car you don't want to have. The gearshifts are slow and even after the downshift, there is not much gain in speed at a rapid rate. I had to plan my overtakes like much much in advance.

I would seriously recommend the Micra AT. Its a brilliant transmission, gives super refined shifts ( CVT, so you can't make out) and gives an average which is way better than the Brio AT. Also the performance is phenomenal, at any point of time, it feels like its always on the boil. Awesome fun this.
Humyum, The micra is terms of look and feel is pretty good, however as you mentioned for city use its one of the best cars, however with CVT overtaking will still be a pain. When you are trying to overtake and depress the accelerator the engine just makes a lot of noise with no apparent effect in the movement of the car. It takes some time for the car to build up momentum required to overtake. Took the Micra for a hour long test drive and not very pleased. And its very expensive too, 8 Lakhs+ BLR
Old 26th November 2013, 19:26   #297
BHPian

My maximum OTR budget is about 8L+, and I am looking to book a car in the next 1 month. Some things I do not wish to compromise on are AUX/BT connectivity, ABS, Airbags, at least decent styling on the interior, Auto box. What I am also looking for is the highest end model of a low bracket car, than a middle model of a slightly higher end car. Why? Because I think having all the frills in the car goes a long way in helping the owner enjoy his car to the fullest.

Keeping all these factors in mind, I seem to be now stuck in between Nissan Micra, and Hyundai Grand i10. Maybe a i20 too, but I am not yet too sure. This particular review has kinda got me swayed towards the Grand i10, but I gotta try it out myself how the car fares on the highways.

Since I already own a Honda City, I know how sad it feels to hear the thud underneath the car because of the low ground clearance. That's why I am a little worried because of the fact that the Grand i10 doesn't have a bottom cover. Is it possible to install after market bottom covers later on?

Additionally, is there a thread that can tutor me on what kind of tyres should one use in his car, and for what purposes?
shayonpal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 19:54   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Humyum, The micra is terms of look and feel is pretty good, however as you mentioned for city use its one of the best cars, however with CVT overtaking will still be a pain. When you are trying to overtake and depress the accelerator the engine just makes a lot of noise with no apparent effect in the movement of the car. It takes some time for the car to build up momentum required to overtake. Took the Micra for a hour long test drive and not very pleased. And its very expensive too, 8 Lakhs+ BLR

Oh yes, on the highway, the more 'comfortable' cruiser is the Brio and not the Micra, but in city the Micra is a Bullet, also you get manual gearbox type economy in the Micra Automatic. and yes I agree, its darn expensive too.
Old 27th November 2013, 12:59   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayonpal View Post
Some things I do not wish to compromise on are AUX/BT connectivity, ABS, Airbags, at least decent styling on the interior, Auto box.
You said you do not want to compromise on ABS, airbags and AT. Not sure how i10 Grand fits the bill in that case. i10 Grand does not have ABS and airbags in their Asta AT variant.
Old 27th November 2013, 14:55   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Well, my experience has been the exact opposite after numerous test drives of Brio AT, i10 AT(old), Amaze AT and Micra AT. I felt the performance in i10 and Brio to be on par and infact after 60 kmph Brio is better due to the extra gear ratio. Amaze felt a tad lethargic, and in Micra you had to plan your moves 10 minutes in advance, the car just doesn't respond quickly enough, mostly due to the CVT.

Grand i10 AT would have been better than the Brio as it has a softer ride quality and more boot space, but unfortunately it doesn't come with the vital safety features - ABS and Airbags. Can't imagine why Hyundai prioritizes fancy gadgetry over safety features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayonpal View Post
My maximum OTR budget is about 8L+, and I am looking to book a car in the next 1 month. Some things I do not wish to compromise on are AUX/BT connectivity, ABS, Airbags, at least decent styling on the interior, Auto box.
Automatic and Safety is a bit too much to ask for in the Indian market. The only choices in your budget are the Brio and Micra.

Last edited by msmatic : 27th November 2013 at 15:04.

Most Viewed