Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2013, 17:06   #301
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Hi ,

I took a test drive , liked it. I have finalized sportz AT model. The dealer has white colour in stock. Since the year 2013 is about to end I thought they would offer some discounts if I purchase soon but they have denied.
Now the options are 1) Buy the 2013 manufactured vehicle from the available stock and get it registered either right now 2) or in January 2014. 3) Wait till February 2014 and get 2014 manufactured vehicle for 2014 registration. I am not sure what is advisable and wiser to do , please help me friends.
Old 28th November 2013, 18:41   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
Hi ,

I took a test drive , liked it. I have finalized sportz AT model. The dealer has white colour in stock. Since the year 2013 is about to end I thought they would offer some discounts if I purchase soon but they have denied.
Now the options are 1) Buy the 2013 manufactured vehicle from the available stock and get it registered either right now 2) or in January 2014. 3) Wait till February 2014 and get 2014 manufactured vehicle for 2014 registration. I am not sure what is advisable and wiser to do , please help me friends.
I will suggest you to wait for the 2014 model as there is no discounts on the current stock. If you are in a hurry and want to keep the car for a long term, then 2014 does not make much sense.
Can you opt ABS and airbags for the AT version? If yes, then can you please give the final ex-showroom price of the car inclusive of the options?
999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 13:06   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Lol...this for my mom...figo is still going strong at 90k kms...

So update on the auto...got it registered today and drove about 50 kms . Though it is slightly smaller than the Figo I find that I can't zip through traffic as I can with the Ford. Ford has me really spoilt though ride is little softer on the grand so good for the city.

I'm getting used to the auto box. My left leg keeps tingling though :-). Not driven in stop go traffic yet. One grouse from the auto is that when braking to a complete stop the car keeps moving so it's like braking against resistance, like you didn't depress the clutch. I'm now shifting to neutral before I come to stop to negate this.
Please don't! Please come to a stop, shift to neutral and use the handbrake for long stops/waits...
babhishek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 19:56   #304
Max
BHPian

Took a test drive of Grand i10 diesel. I have only one word for it. Amazing Car! There is no turbo in i10 grand diesel but pickup is great. Its like driving petrol car. I felt no lag in city driving. It will be very good for city drives. I went up to 80kmph speed and it picked up very fast. Interior best in the class. Seats was very specious. Rear leg room is huge and rear vents add luxury for rear passengers. Air condition was powerful and stock audio system quality was good. Clutch was light.

Engine was very quiet and less noisy then swift diesel and 10 times more refined then amaze diesel. Boot space was also great. IMO, if you are looking for car in this class, just go for it! On road price in thane around 7,88,000 for top model. Can't remember exact figure.

Last edited by Max : 29th November 2013 at 19:59.
Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 22:18   #305
Senior - BHPian

Drove a friend's i10 Asta CRDi today. Here are my impressions. Comparisons to my Swift ZDi are obvious.

1. Plastic quality is amazing. I think only a Civic betters the i10 in plastic quality.

2. Performance is adequate for city driving. There is no feel of turbo and that is not a compliment. I tried to drive over a speed breaker in second and the engine stalled. There is a big difference in terms of performance when compared to Swift. The revv-friendliness of the i20 is gone too.

3. Gearshift is slightly better on the i20. I feel my Swift has crisper gearshift quality.

4. NVH is well controlled through good damping, although the engine is not that silent when heard from outside. On the inside, the car is more silent than the Swift.

5. Ride quality is pliant by Hyundai standards. Hyundai has learnt a lesson or two to control sideward movement to an extent. There is a soft thud when the car goes over speed breakers. The i10 did crash over a slightly bigger pothole though.

6. Although I couldn't test handling, I felt lesser confident taking sharper turns compared to Swift. There is a marked improvement when comparison to the older i10.

7. Music quality is not good. Bass is pretty bad. I'm guessing Hyundai has cut corners here. My old i10 had better music quality.

8. Rear AC vents looks clumsy and is more of a marketing gimmick. I felt that the rear vents are poor in directing air and placed very low. To some extent, they obstruct the middle rear passenger too.

9. Front seats feel a straight lift from old 10. The seat isn't that great. Swift beats i10 on the front seat comfort by quite a bit.

10. Rear seat is very comfortable for a hatchback with good ergonomics and nice legroom. Both, seats and legroom, are better than the Swift.

11. Boot space is good. Quite 'square' and usable. Beats the Swift comprehensively here.

12. Horn is very feeble.

13. Paint quality is top notch, like all Hyundais.

14. Alloys just look good in pictures. Personally I did not like the finish of the alloys. New Verna alloys have a much better finish.

To conclude, it is a very nice car with loads of feel good factor. I would recommend the car to everybody with the exception of auto enthusiasts.
blue_pulsar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 08:44   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Being a Swift Diesel user for nearly 5 years now, I was interested to know how the Grand I10 was. Test Drove a Diesel Grand I 10 and I am glad to say, It is NO MATCH for a Swift Diesel when it comes to driving fun.

Guys, please test drive the Swift and I 10 grand back to back to make a judgement.
I also own a new Swift ZDi and would never exchange it for a Grand ! Cheers Man, going for a TD today to buy a petrol one for my wife.
Old 30th November 2013, 20:01   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Drove a friend's i10 Asta CRDi today. Here are my impressions. Comparisons to my Swift ZDi are obvious.

2. Performance is adequate for city driving. There is no feel of turbo and that is not a compliment. I tried to drive over a speed breaker in second and the engine stalled. There is a big difference in terms of performance when compared to Swift. The revv-friendliness of the i20 is gone too.
Thanks for the comparison mate. Almost every one has experienced Swift because of its omnipresent nature & therefore your comparison will help others to visualize the Grand even without Tding it.

Please elaborate on performance front of Swift v/s Grand. This could be decisive to many who love to drive. Have you taken the Grand on open roads? Is your Swift the current model or the old one?

One indigenous query to Grand-diesel owners. What is the realistic FE with AC in city & with AC on highways @90-100 kmph?

Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 20:48   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
I also own a new Swift ZDi and would never exchange it for a Grand ! Cheers Man, going for a TD today to buy a petrol one for my wife.
Well my horrible experiences with Hyundai continue. Last time I decided not to buy an i20 because of the dealers poor attitude and this time the i10 Grand goes down the drain. This might be boring and meaningless to some of you and my apologies for that.

My wife and I had reached Sikka Hyundai in Mayapuri Industrial Area after a very good experience at Automax Honda (For Brio) in the vicinity.

The sales rep we were supposed to meet was busy with another customer so we were being attended by another advisor. This advisor was not even aware about the difference between different variants of the car. He then informed that there is a long waiting period for the petrol version which is even longer than the diesel. I was shocked to hear that, there is not a single petrol car in this country which is on waiting right now. I refused to believe his argument and asked him to talk straight with me and confirm the delivery timelines. Finally he agreed that the car can be delivered within 10 days. I asked him to arrange for a test drive which was not to be. Their petrol version was supposedly in the workshop due to a freak accident and the diesel one was out for a field demo. At this moment the lady rep stepped in who was originally supposed to meet us.

I expressed my concern on this whole episode of no car being available and mentioned that this was the situation at all Hyundai dealers. I have spoken to 3 dealers regarding a test drive and none has a car ! The rep tried to convince me to try old i10 and i20 but I decided not to decide without test driving the car.

I also requested for a valuation of my car for an exchange. My car is a Thane registered one so they politely refused a Buyback deal on other state registered cars. Seeing no hope, we decided to move on.

On our way back to our car, we saw two dirty grands, one petrol and other diesel with test drive stickers. The petrol one was supposed to be in garage and diesel one on a field test drive ! We were joking about the whole thing, when the lady rep came running after us saying the test drive petrol car had returned some days back and they were not aware, they were now in a position to arrange a drive for us. She requested that the driver side door had an issue so we will have to manage entry through the other one. Although I was in no mood to make a joker out of myself, but my wife convinced mento try when we had come so far. The lady rep left to take a copy of the licence.

While we were waiting, two used car reps also appeared and started evaluating our car. Now let me tell you that I am very particular about my car like all other teambhp members. I have maintained my car only at authorised device centres at regular intervals and never held back any expenses to keep her in a good condition. I gave all the details to one Mr Arun. After all evaluation, Mr Arun came out with a well below expectation figure of 1.15 lacs. I was appalled and lost my head. To justify his quote, he showed me a 20 year old M800 that he had bought in 10k few days back. I shot back at him saying that lets compare an apple to an apple and stop meaningless discussion and walked away. By then, I had lost any interest to test drive any Hyundai car. I was so pissed off that I could have refused a free Elantra at that moment !

I immediately called the lady sales rep and requested her to return my license as I was not interested in any test drive. My wife tried to pacify me but I was not in any mood to stay back even a second longer at that dealership. The lady rep started requesting us and somehow I maintained my cool and just to pacify her, I agreed for a drive. After another ten mins, that dirty test drive car appeared before us and we started driving. The lady rep also informed us that she would have to get the tank filled up at a nearby station !! We made some small talk during the drive, exchanged final pleasantries and left.

The car drives well as expected but comparing it to the Brio, I feel it is let down by the toy car like sterling, rubbery gear shift and power delivery at higher RPMs.
abhjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 18:59   #309
Senior - BHPian

Any body on the Forum facing battery drain issues on G-I10 variants. My B-I-L is facing the issue, battery drained twice in a week. When inquired with the dealership, came to know that almost a dozen complaints have been received by them. They informed us that even HMIL is planning a recall to sort out the issue.
Old 1st December 2013, 20:14   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Any body on the Forum facing battery drain issues on G-I10 variants. My B-I-L is facing the issue, battery drained twice in a week. When inquired with the dealership, came to know that almost a dozen complaints have been received by them. They informed us that even HMIL is planning a recall to sort out the issue.
I had reported that a few posts back. I don't own a grand, but my service rep told me about this last week when I asked about it. Hyundai is working on a solution, but none available at this point. He did mention some microchip running all the time causing the issue.
999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 20:47   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteor View Post
Oh, may be i understood wrong, i will double check with the dealer again, however do you know the cost difference of the Asta and the Asta O?
@meteor, superbhikari is right. There is no Asta (O) for the automatic, and the Asta does not come with ABS or Airbags.

I test drove the i10 Grand AT today. The car does feel better to drive than the old i10. The tiptronic is nice, although I'm not sure why you would want it.

Compared to the old i10 AT Asta, the lack of ABS and Airbags are a concern. Also, no dead pedal (but lots of space in the floor area - wasn't uncomfortable, although it wasn't a long drive).

I'll probably wait till they introduce an Asta (O).

The OTR prices for the Petrol i10 Grand in Bangalore are:

Era (534083)
Magna (557573)
Sportz (602467)
Sportz AT (700584)
Asta (643614)
Asta (O) (682343)
Asta AT (733595)

The pricelist did not have any price figures for the third year extended warranty. I'm not sure if they're offering this. (Also noticed that the other Hyundai ATs did not have any figure against the extended warranty)
gadiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:12   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Please elaborate on performance front of Swift v/s Grand. This could be decisive to many who love to drive. Have you taken the Grand on open roads? Is your Swift the current model or the old one?
I drive a newer model Swift ZDi.

I drove the grand on city roads. Max speed would be between 50 and 60 kmph.

The car does not have turbo lag, because there is not turbo whoosh to talk about. It is like driving a petrol car at city speeds. But keep in mind that it is a diesel engine and wont revv till 5k-6k rpm. Frankly, I didn't find it revv friendly like the MJD (revv friendly by diesel standards). So if you love to drive, my pick would be the MJD, eyes closed. Do not go by the peak power figures of 70bhp on the Grand vs 74bhp on the Swift. The way the MJD delivers its torque makes the drive so satisfying. Add to that the Swift's superior suspension.
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:21   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
After going through Hyundai's facebbok page, seems the software update to fix the issue has arrived. Please get your car updated at the nearest service center.

They should make a way for consumers to auto update their system firmwares. People at workshops don't seem to have a clue about these simple fixes.
smilenow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 20:29   #314
BHPian

Did TD of a diesel Grand yesterday. Kind of liked the car. Wife said rear seating is better than my Verna Fluidic. I think it is due to higher seating in Grand. The engine was refined enough to be appreciated. Took the car till 90 kph. Felt that power & pick up of Grand is just average. We were four adults inside. The tarmac was smooth, could not judge the ride quality. The rear looked impressive to me. The car should be fuel efficient in city. Can any one update with TFM FE with AC in city & highway?
Old 5th December 2013, 10:14   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Lol...this for my mom...figo is still going strong at 90k kms...

So update on the auto...got it registered today and drove about 50 kms . Though it is slightly smaller than the Figo I find that I can't zip through traffic as I can with the Ford. Ford has me really spoilt though ride is little softer on the grand so good for the city.

I'm getting used to the auto box. My left leg keeps tingling though :-). Not driven in stop go traffic yet. One grouse from the auto is that when braking to a complete stop the car keeps moving so it's like braking against resistance, like you didn't depress the clutch. I'm now shifting to neutral before I come to stop to negate this.
Congrats fiery_enzyme on your i10 Grand Auto. Have you put up an initial experience write-up? One of my friend has booked the Auto version and would like to get an owner's feedback on the performance, handling and other pluses and minuses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks