Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2014, 11:28   #406
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

My list includes of Hyundai cars owned over the years includes a 1999 Santro DX, 2003 Accent CRDi, 2004 Santro AT, 2009 i20 CRDI Asta, 2009 i10 AT Sportz,all now sold. Currently have a 2011 Verna CRDi SX now the 2014 Grand i10 CRDi Asta (O).

I have just taken delivery and the Grand i10 surprises me with composed suspension and wonderful braking. The Grand's suspension set up is far superior to the older i10 and i20.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 12:18   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I test drove the i10 Grand Petrol today. I'm looking for a replacement for my Santro Xing. The controls were extremely light and what a silent car. The interiors looked good, and seemed well built. It's sad that ABS and airbags is offered only on the Asta(O). Also, disappointed that the Sportz misses out on bluetooth.
I have some questions. How is the AC and How does the stock system sound?
and what are the realistic mileage figures?
I didn't drive it fast, I found the low end to be bad compared to my Santro.It doesn't take off in second gear :( Is the top end good? I read a few pages back, that the low end grunt is just a matter of getting used to..
And on the driving front, the i20 petrol, is it marginally slower or noticeable more so? I am yet to drive the i20.
We have a 2003 Santro Xing & 2014 i20 at home & few other cars of popular makes in relatives putting up nearby. I can say that the low end torque is bad these days on the modern engines, but these are more efficient. e.g.- my brother managed 13 kmpl on his i20 1.2 Petrol in daily drive between Delhi & Faridabad, essentially the latter, & he doesn't drives more than 25 kms each day. Hi car is still under 1000 kms so we expect engine to open up after that, & we expect ~14 kmpl after that.

FYI, i20 is around 1200 kgs heavy as compared to 1000-1100 kgs weight of Grand i10, different variants. So that could be helpful both ways, better mileage as well as initial pickup.
CARDEEP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 08:27   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend is in the market for a new car and is confused between the Grand i10 and Toyota Liva ( both diesel variants). What I wanted to know was the difference betweem servicing costs of the two since Hyundai is usually known for slightly higher costs. Also the grand i10 diesel has a 6month or 1 year service interval?
Old 19th March 2014, 09:41   #409
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My friend is in the market for a new car and is confused between the Grand i10 and Toyota Liva ( both diesel variants). What I wanted to know was the difference betweem servicing costs of the two since Hyundai is usually known for slightly higher costs. Also the grand i10 diesel has a 6month or 1 year service interval?
Hyundai is going to be more no matter what way you look at it. The Toyota will be frugal in maintenance.

The Grand i10 feels much more premium, has way more features and feels from a segment above. The Liva is more basic and can probably take on some abuse.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 19th March 2014 at 09:44.
Old 19th March 2014, 09:45   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Hyundai is going to be more no matter what way you look at it. The Toyota will be frugal in maintenance.

The Grand i10 feels much more premium, has way more features and feels from a segment above.
I know the Hyundai is going to be more. But by how much is the question. Its been a while since I have owned a Hyundai and hence not familiar with there current servicing costs specially with diesel cars. Liva is ofcourse going to be very easy on the pocket. But compared to the i10, it feels extremely barebones.

Also what is the service interval for the diesel i10 grand i.e. in terms of time.
Old 19th March 2014, 09:49   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Service costs generally become high because the service advisors have a tendency to push unnecessary items like engine flushing, engine oil additives etc. This is not specific to Hyundai, it happens in other brands too. (We have a hot thread running where a Maruti Swift customer got a huge service bill because of these unrequired add ons)

Please don't go by hearsay. Ask your friend to personally compare the labour charges for servicing and other routine jobs. (This information will be easily available on websites. It is also prominently displayed at service centres).

I'm not sure about the service interval for these cars. But if the service interval is 6 months for one car and 1 year for the other car, then there would be definitely be a difference in the service costs over the year. Again, this is valid only as long as the car is in the warranty period. Once the warranty is over, the customer is free to choose his service interval.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 09:54   #412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also what is the service interval for the diesel i10 grand i.e. in terms of time.
Not sure since I have not seen myself, but do you also want to see the space aspect? Liva should be more spacious and the 1.4 D4D is more time and tested.

Of course as Vid mentioned, Liva is low on maintenance and can take abuse.
Old 19th March 2014, 12:03   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Grand i10 feels much more premium, has way more features and feels from a segment above. The Liva is more basic and can probably take on some abuse.
I agree on the service cost part, that Toyota's service costs are the cheapest alongwith Tata's in India.

However, I disagree with the ability to take abuse part. IMO, a car with sold interiors, with good fit/ finish can take abuse easily as compared to flimsy interiors. This has been verified on 7 Santro Xings, 3 i10 & 3 i20s in our family... & there is a new i20 with my brother buying one last month, also because of this reason.

Moreover, the Liva is barely selling as compared to Grand i10 or i10, even, despite being more spacious, bigger diesel engine & lower service costs. The taxi market up North has started moving to other options, including Swift/ Ritz/ Dzire, Vista/ Manza & even Chevy is making inroads in these days.

Add to this, Toyota will introducing an all new Etois platform, soon in Brazil (mayeb 2015), & this could be immediately followed with launch in India. Won't that affect the resale & spares cost in long run, if the car would be owned for more than 5 years?
Old 19th March 2014, 12:10   #414
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
However, I disagree with the ability to take abuse part. IMO, a car with sold interiors, with good fit/ finish can take abuse easily as compared to flimsy interiors. This has been verified on 7 Santro Xings, 3 i10 & 3 i20s in our family... & there is a new i20 with my brother buying one last month, also because of this reason.
Have you sat in a Etios cab that has done 3.5 lakh kms which still drives perfectly and nothing broken or out of place inside the cabin?

Speak to the cab drivers who have done lakhs of kms in the Etios diesel and you will see what I meant by ability to take abuses. They swear by it.

Now imagine a Hyundai i20 or Grand i10. It is much more plush and luxurious but it cannot last the way the Toyota's can.

The time when I went for a TD of i20, the drivers side was missing a door handle. Was told that since it was a TD car there were many people opening closing and it came off.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 12:23   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you sat in a Etios cab that has done 3.5 lakh kms which still drives perfectly and nothing broken or out of place inside the cabin?

Speak to the cab drivers who have done lakhs of kms in the Etios diesel and you will see what I meant by ability to take abuses. They swear by it.

Now imagine a Hyundai i20 or Grand i10. It is much more plush and luxurious but it cannot last the way the Toyota's can.

The time when I went for a TD of i20, the drivers side was missing a door handle. Was told that since it was a TD car there were many people opening closing and it came off.
Yes I have, & always felt sad for the tin can built & poor grade interiors. I do not deny the fact that these drivers run almost 700-1000 kms a day. But, when they got a minutest issue with the car they attend to the same with a jugaad, unlike the dealerships which are too busy & devise ways to discourage people going for test drives.

When you come to Delhi next time for a day or tow, PM me, I will make you travel in my Hyundais (Santro or i20) your choice, but the route would be my choice, & I bet any taxi driver would dare to follow me daily on that route (my daily commute to office to avoid bad traffic) & at my speeds. Then probably you will have faith in the longevity of a good looking interiors that Hyundai has got.

And BTW my uncle has a Taxi service in Chandigarh & as per him, barring the diesel Etios/ Liva is barely selling, even in Punjab, despite being a Toyota .

But, let's not fight over here on issue of longevity of interiors only, when there are issues like lack of sale & new model expected soon. You know this better, being a mod you get news through more reliable sources than us.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 19th March 2014 at 12:25.
Old 20th March 2014, 19:29   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know the Hyundai is going to be more. But by how much is the question. Its been a while since I have owned a Hyundai and hence not familiar with there current servicing costs specially with diesel cars. Liva is ofcourse going to be very easy on the pocket. But compared to the i10, it feels extremely barebones.

I had same query. Shifting from Maruti/Toyota to Hyundai. But, as a product, Grand i10 is far superior. Better sound insulation along with speedo-where-it-should-be are factors which will, IMO, matter over a period of time and adds to a better drive experience.
Also, Grand i10 is new in market and selling in more than decent numbers ( I earlier had Baleno, spares for which were real tough to get and also quite expensive ) which will let your friend get spares and service for a longer time than Liva.

Liva feels barebones as compared to Grand i10. Liva would be called contemporary in 2002/2003 or rather a decade ago, not now.
This brings me to the points that I have to pen down from my 400 kms. grand i10 diesel ownership.

1) Not sure if this is highlighted in Official review or not, but it seems that Blower is very noisy. Very very noisy. Infact, it is a disturbance for me after a couple of kms. drive. Have to reduce the blower speed from 2 to 1. Shutting it down makes one realize how much noise it makes.
Also, the blower feels like CVT with rubber band effect. Blower noise does not directly result into equivalent throw or air.
Note that I am having Magna and not yet installed the sound system. I believe that installation of sound system might help lower the noise a bit ( as the blower unit is behind the sound system provision.

2) The direction of air throw is next to meaning less. Or I am not yet used to it. The Logic of having widely spaced front air vents is something beyond my stretch of imagination. Left hand, if placed on steering wheel and not on gear shift, would have cold burns. This makes it absolutely necessary to have the air directed away from the driver.

Somehow, I am having headache after 5-6 mins of A/C irrespective of direction of air throw. Had to reduce cold air and increase temp ( by that rotary knob ).

3) Really nice brakes.

4) Lack of sound system is required in a nice insulated cabin ( that is what I feel ).

5) Auto lock is not there, but auto unlock is available. I am happy for that.

6) Love the simple yet effective instrument cluster. Temp gauge is not skipped by Hyundai.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 17:50   #417

Hi all,
A pretty new member to Team-BHP.
Been an owner of Grand I10, petrol, Magna for around 10 days now. Had been a spirited user of Maruti Zen (pre-Estilo Model)
Had test driven Polo, Figo, Celerio, I20, Sail UVA and Grand, to finalise on Grand.

Took decision on following
Engine- Extremely smooth (Carrying forward the Zen tradition of first off the line)
Sitting position - Was used to Zen (polo / Figo felt similar. Grand placed me much higher)
Gear - Butter Smooth
Space - Better than the other cars test driven. Sail UVA might compete
Service Levels - Hilton Hyundai in Trivandrum made sure that they left me no doubt!
Cost - On road, Rs. 5,00,000/- with an additiona 22,000 on accessories.
Additional accessories - Sony 2 Din Bluetooth Stereo with co-axial 3 way speakers. Floor cover. Reverse Sensor.

Once bought, the next day was the trip from Trivandrum to Bangalore...

Highway driving - The steering does not give the confidence of driving a figo / Swift on highways, but does weight up much better than i10s & i20s.
Comfort - The car did see off humps and potholes with absolute confidence. A 12 hour drive (almost continuous) left me with near to nil tiredness. But ofcourse, I am used to similar kind drives in the Zen.
Noise Cancellation - Extremely good. The blower sound never affected me and I could make calls on the blue tooth with the blower running at 3.
Cons
Auto Lock - There is not a auto lock on the car reaching a speed, which lead me to drive half the highway with unlocked door.
Could not find miles to finish as well as average mileage meters in the instrument cluster.
Clutch - Almost perpendicular to the floor, hurts the muscle for a man of my height (6'1") over a period of time. May be it needs more getting used to, as I am used to the relaxed clutch in my Zen.

Over all, felt the car as a VFM proposition,

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd March 2014 at 08:57. Reason: Avoid high speed discussions on the forum.
renjithgn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 19:17   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renjithgn View Post
Hi all,
Been an owner of Grand I10, petrol, Magna for around 10 days now. Had been a spirited user of Maruti Zen (pre-Estilo Model)
Cost - On road, Rs. 5,00,000/- with an additiona 22,000 on accessories.
Additional accessories - Sony 2 Din Bluetooth Stereo with co-axial 3 way speakers. Floor cover. Reverse Sensor.
You sure on the on-road price for the Magna. Magna should be in the range of 5.5 lakhs. Dont think there are any discounts either.
Old 22nd March 2014, 20:59   #419
BHPian

Just test drove the Grand i10 diesel. Loved the car except for a few points in comparison to Nissan Micra Diesel that we test drove:

1) Air-con doesn't cool the rear. The rear air-cons are of utterly no use as they blow very little air and most of it gets obstructed by our knees. And due to the wide spacing of the central vents, most of the air-flow is obstructed by the front seat backs. Have to cross check this once more though.

2) Firm seats. The rear seats, especially felt really firm though i liked the under-thigh support and legroom.

The engine is very drivable and is fairly powerful enough for speeds upto 100. The NVH is totally awesome!

Anyways, I'm still confused between the Micra and Grand i10. Both are equally good and the Micra felt a lot more pleasing rightaway, mainly due to its cheerful interiors.

Cheers!
Old 23rd March 2014, 00:20   #420
BHPian

Is there any place I can buy silicone case for the Key Fob available on the Gi10 Asta variant?
Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-hyundaigrandi1005.jpg

Well i found this one on ebay. But the shape does not match with the key fob for Gi10. Its mentioned that this case is for the fluidic i20, elantra and sonata.
Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-_12.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks