Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2014, 07:33   #421
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I had a test drive of Grand i10 AT, Sportz version and am happy with it for my wife. This would be my first Hyundai in 20 years as I never had a great opinion about Korean cars(no disrespect, just the mindset!). This car changed my perception about them.

Any special pointers/feedback from current Grand AT owners regarding the maintenance, PDI care, price negotiations, deals, freebies etc would be highly appreciated.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 18:43   #422
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

I was appalled to find no ABS or airbags for any AT variant of the Grand i10; not even the top end Asta which is priced ex showroom of nearly Rs 6 lakhs and is the priciest Grand i10 on offer. I cannot understand the reasoning - Hyundai has loaded the Grand i10 interiors with lots of goodies, but if you want an AT, you do not get airbags and ABS at any price; period . Not even a driver's airbag ! That is , frankly, an outrageous product offering, in my humble opinion. It reflects the balance between safety and frills, in Hyundai's view of the Indian customer.
Secretariat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 18:47   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
You sure on the on-road price for the Magna. Magna should be in the range of 5.5 lakhs. Dont think there are any discounts either.

Yes mate. The car has been bought in Kerala. I was quoted 5.17 initially, which came down to 5.00, after the budget cut, which the dealership graciously passed on to me, even though I had booked prior to the cut.
renjithgn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 21:34   #424
Senior - BHPian

Does the Grand i10 have anchor points to fix a car seat? If not - is it easy to get them fixed?
I have almost decided on the grand i10 - my only competitors are the etios liva or sail UVA which give more space.
75% of my drives will be on bumpy roads - will the grand i10 be good on these roads and easy todrive without changing gears too often and not feeling too bumpy?
Old 23rd March 2014, 22:27   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi,

I had a test drive of Grand i10 AT, Sportz version and am happy with it for my wife. This would be my first Hyundai in 20 years as I never had a great opinion about Korean cars(no disrespect, just the mindset!). This car changed my perception about them.

Any special pointers/feedback from current Grand AT owners regarding the maintenance, PDI care, price negotiations, deals, freebies etc would be highly appreciated.
Dear getsurya,

This car will not only be an ideal choice but a best bet for your wife. The car is fantastic in all respects. I own this car ( but mine is the earlier version), I had recently bought an i10 Grand Asta in A/T variant for the parents of my Managing Director and I have found that to be even better than the version I have. There is no difference in PDI, I have my doubts you will gain much in negotiations or deals. Since, many dealers do not stock it, they order the car from the company after having confirmation order from you.

Trust me, you will never regret buying this car for your wife.
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 10:12   #426
Senior - BHPian

[quote]Trust me, you will never regret buying this car for your wife./QUOTE]

Hi mints21, Thanks for the reassurance!

Quote:
Does the Grand i10 have anchor points to fix a car seat? If not - is it easy to get them fixed?
This is one of my important requirements too, can anybody help please on the information?
Old 25th March 2014, 17:18   #427

We bought an Asta (O) Petrol in February before the budget cut. The car is used by my wife mostly and she is quite happy with the car. The only complain from her is the low seat position when compared to her Getz.
harish_K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 12:09   #428
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

My Grand CRDi Asta (O) has been with me for a week now. Have run close to 200 kms mainly in and around the CBD area. I am mightily thrilled by the feel of the car. This car is major improvement from the i10. The suspension is excellent. Miss the dead pedal though.

Not checked the mileage, but from the fuel gauge position, it appears to be very good. Will update when I tank up

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 14:06   #429
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have pictures of the lower variants of the Grand i10? Say the Era or the Magna? All the cars that I have seen on road are either the Sportz or the Asta variants. I personally think the ERA variant will give a lot of options of customizing the ICE setup, and if it's going to be primarily used within the city, it will tick mark most boxes completely.
Old 26th March 2014, 16:19   #430
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Does anyone have pictures of the lower variants of the Grand i10? Say the Era or the Magna?
Here is an image from another forum (I wonder if it's allowed here?) of the central portion of the dashboard (Magna variant), with an aftermarket 1-DIN music system. This is the best I could get with an internet search:

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-image.jpg

Image courtesy: TAI member autowiz

Last edited by RSR : 26th March 2014 at 16:22.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 09:58   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I test drove the i10 Grand Petrol today. I'm looking for a replacement for my Santro Xing. The controls were extremely light and what a silent car. The interiors looked good, and seemed well built. It's sad that ABS and airbags is offered only on the Asta(O). Also, disappointed that the Sportz misses out on bluetooth.
I have some questions. How is the AC and How does the stock system sound?
and what are the realistic mileage figures?
I didn't drive it fast, I found the low end to be bad compared to my Santro.It doesn't take off in second gear :( Is the top end good? I read a few pages back, that the low end grunt is just a matter of getting used to..
And on the driving front, the i20 petrol, is it marginally slower or noticeable more so? I am yet to drive the i20.
The test drive when I posted this was in a brand new car with the odo disconnected. I took a very short test drive and did not step on it at all. Yesterday I took a good long test drive with another dealer, with an 'allocated test car'. Drove on the highway and found some bad roads. I took it to a 100, car felt good. Santro felt like it needed a push after driving the Grand. Hyundai have done a commendable job with the suspension. Great ride quality!
All in all, very comfortable car, drives well, smooth and has adequate power. I was quite impressed. I initially wanted the i20, but have decided on the Grand now.Usage is going to be single, didn't really require the additional space. The slightly better performance, the size,price and not to mention a newer car ruled in favour of the Grand.
I was looking at the Sportz initially, but it's not extremely well equipped.I had assumed Grand i10 Sportz and i20 Sportz are comparable in terms of their feature list. Unfortunately it isn't so. No bluetooth,steering mounting controls,defogger. I didn't find the Sportz to be very VFM. Bad move Hyundai. I have finalised on the Asta(O). The colour of choice will take two weeks to order from the factory. I am going today to discuss the price, and see if they can give me something on a gray car in stock if I buy immediately on account of month end/year end. Else, I'l wait for 2 weeks.

Last edited by promit : 29th March 2014 at 10:01.
promit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 13:54   #432
BHPian

Does anyone know about the a/c compressor capacity for the Grand i10 ? I've read that it's same as the EON but am unable to find out the actual capacity.
I know that i20 has a 90cc compressor.
Old 30th March 2014, 16:58   #433
BHPian

Has anyone gone in for the Hyundai fabric seat covers? How are they? If possible please share a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasAuto View Post
Does anyone know about the a/c compressor capacity for the Grand i10 ? I've read that it's same as the EON but am unable to find out the actual capacity.
Woah. Are you sure? I happened to sit in an eon, and I noticed that the vents are smaller than the Grand. I doubt it shares the same compressor since it has a bigger cabin and they are really using the rear ac vent feature to market the car. An eon sized compressor powering 4 plus one vents.
On the test drives the ac seemed reasonably effective. Not diesel figo good, but not too bad either.
promit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 19:49   #434
Senior - BHPian

Back from a 350+ kms drive in my diesel i10.
The impressions are :

1) This car can maintain 130 kmph cruising speed all day long. I was with my parents and their luggage with A/C running all the time. Still after 100 the car was ready to accelerate with certain amount of effortlessness which I was honestly not expecting. 100-110 is best cruising speed for this car. You barely hear the engine.

2) Dynamics : Steering is very inconsistent. Its rather eager to come back to center and slight reluctance initially to turn. Also the lightness is not appreciated as I had to keep a firm hand and sometimes when facing little rough patch both hands needed for having firm grip on steering wheel. May be I am not used to it, but it certainly is not that good.

3) Suspension is not that bad as I thought it would be on highway. But the suspension travel, IMO, is very short. Everytime I hit a sharp bump at marginally more speed that dead slow, I could sense wheels having a tough landing. Body roll is controlled, but one has to drive it a notch down, even in high speed corners. Holding a line is easy, but any correction in mid-corner seems like resistance. I once ended up in a scary situation due to this.

4) Got music system installed yesterday ( which was horrible experience, but will tell about that later in a day or two ). Its required in a silent cabin, specially when driving alone. This also suggests that the car is not engaging to drive. Very quickly the drive experience turns dull.

5) Overtaking : This is where a lot of precaution has to be taken. If anyone used to correct his/her mistake while overtaking via engine power, this is not a car to do with. Simply put, below 2000 rpm there is no overtaking power on highway. Be it 4th or 5th or 3rd. Power band is practically 2000-3500 rpm and 3rd is not tall enough to help overtake.
Those used to Tata Safari 3.0 DICOR, which also had a very narrow power band, can understand the problem here.
After a while on highway, planning overtaking became part and parcel of my drive.
Anybody looking for reserve overtaking power, look elsewhere.
5th is too tall for this engine and respctive power band. I was doing 80 at 2000 rpm in i10 diesel. Gap between 4th and 5th is huge. For high speed overtaking use 5th, 4th will have you shift in-between the overtaking move which can be dangerous.
Toyota has masked the lack of power in Innova by lower gearing ( overall and ) in 5th which makes it more responsive though it comes at expense of FE. I would prefer i10 diesel to have lower gearing and lower FE but it has to be more responsive to increase the available powerband. Many times I felt just helpless, wonder where all the power and torque has gone.

This engine can be a good, silent cruiser, but not sprinter. Swift is both, sprinter and nice cruiser. Much punchier than than this 1.1 diesel of Hyundai.

6) Excellent A/C.

Comparison with Baleno, though its irrelevant as a) Baleno is phased out quite a long ago and b) Its different segment. But just my views :
-> 3rd is excellent tool on highway for Baleno, specially overtaking. Quite opposite in Grand i10 Diesel.

-> Suspension. I wonder why old gen cars have better suspension.

-> Brakes. Very very nice in Grand i10. Inspires confidence to drive fast.

Overall, once again I say this, Grand i10 diesel is a nice family compact car in which you can cruise all day long at sane speeds or slightly higher than that. For sprinting abilities, Swift and even Ritz is better.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 30th March 2014 at 20:12.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 15:12   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Woah. Are you sure? I happened to sit in an eon, and I noticed that the vents are smaller than the Grand. I doubt it shares the same compressor since it has a bigger cabin and they are really using the rear ac vent feature to market the car. An eon sized compressor powering 4 plus one vents.
On the test drives the ac seemed reasonably effective. Not diesel figo good, but not too bad either.
Thanks for the clarification. I read about the compressor capacity from another forum.Haven't had the chance to independently verify it from A.S.S. I'm seriously considering Grand i10 for my 1st car : ), so good to know that you found the a/c cooling to be adequate. Right now it's a toss up between i20 & Grand i10 for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks