Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2014, 15:44   #436
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Bought Asto (O) petrol variant yesterday for my wife. The Sales assistant assured us that we will be paying the price applicable right now and will be spared from the price hike due in April announced by the manufacturers.

Criterion:

1. Under 7 lacs on-road in bangalore
2. atleast driver side airbag, abs if possible
3. looks and features (both interior and exterior)
4. trusted brand
5. good handling and steering
6. fun to drive
7. Petrol only (monthly drive on 500 kms)

Options:

1. Grand i10 Asta (O) petrol
2. Celerio ZXI (O)
3. i20 Sportz - dropped because a new one is due shortly
4. Xcent S(O) - dropped because of no airbags (SX variants were around 7.5l)
5. Polo trendline - dropped because not available
6. Fiat Punto - I like the car but wife did not want to even consider it
7. Brio - dropped because of boring interiors and very small car feel

It was a close fight between the Celerio and Grand i10. Celerio is fun to drive, great acceleration and 75K cheaper (ZXI(O) - 5.96 lacs vs Asta(O) - 6.71 lacs). What went in favour of Grand i10 was loaded features, superb AC (I own an Ecosport Tit diesel so was comparing both the cars to it), overall looks, slightly better steering feel and finally my feedback after driving both where I found Grand i10 slightly better. Also we got a deal in terms that if we booked it immediately, we would be getting the applicable price only.

But in no terms will I say that Celerio was not upto the mark. It is still a great car and very much fun to drive.
Anand2712 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 08:05   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasAuto View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I read about the compressor capacity from another forum.Haven't had the chance to independently verify it from A.S.S. I'm seriously considering Grand i10 for my 1st car : ), so good to know that you found the a/c cooling to be adequate. Right now it's a toss up between i20 & Grand i10 for me.
Yes, I just googled and found that written on the other forum too. I find it hard to believe. Do find out and report back here.
Test drive both of them. Take a call depending on your usage and need of space and how you drive. What is your choice of fuel? I don't know about the diesels, the petrol Grand i10 and i20 are very closely priced, with the offers and discounts running on the i20. Good luck.
promit is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:37   #438
BHPian

Thanks Promit.
From your signature - Grand i10 (Coming Soon), Wishing you all the best & many happy & safe miles on your new ride.
I am in the market for a petrol hatch, I'm a newbie driver & found the Grand just perfect for my needs. B.T.W which version have you booked ?

Don't wish to be a spoil sport, but just be on the lookout for the infamous battery draining issue (esp. on the Sportz & Asta models) of 2013 make. It's supposed to have been fixed via a software update. Apparently it's not working & the only solution as stated by one user on Facebook was to replace an expensive cluster box (speedometer chip) on 2013 make cars.
Hopefully 2014 models shouldn't have that problem. I was almost fixed on Grand i10, but my Mom & wife are for i20. Now a man can't possibly go against the wishes the 2 most important women in his life, can he
DasAuto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:56   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasAuto View Post
Thanks Promit.
From your signature - Grand i10 (Coming Soon), Wishing you all the best & many happy & safe miles on your new ride.
I am in the market for a petrol hatch, I'm a newbie driver & found the Grand just perfect for my needs. B.T.W which version have you booked ?

Don't wish to be a spoil sport, but just be on the lookout for the infamous battery draining issue (esp. on the Sportz & Asta models) of 2013 make. It's supposed to have been fixed via a software update. Apparently it's not working & the only solution as stated by one user on Facebook was to replace an expensive cluster box (speedometer chip) on 2013 make cars.
Hopefully 2014 models shouldn't have that problem. I was almost fixed on Grand i10, but my Mom & wife are for i20. Now a man can't possibly go against the wishes the 2 most important women in his life, can he
Thanks so much. I have booked a petrol Asta (O). Yes I am aware of the battery draining issues.It's been about 6 months since the car has released, I hope they would have got it sorted by now.
I also had my heart set on the i20 Sportz. It's well equiped and looks great! But my dad ruled against it, he said for a single person driving, it didn't make sense. Also considering they share the same engine, and slightly better mileage in the Grand he asked me to consider the Grand. The difference being a bigger heavier car more or less.
The i20 is great, it's heavier, the doors feel much more solid. Probably looks better. It's a good drive. It also had more discounts on it. But news floating around that it's due for a model replacement sealed its fate for me. At the same time around I saw spy shots of the interiors of the upcoming i20. I would definitely cry a little when the new i20 comes out soon. So I decided on the Grand i10. It's going to be around for a while in its current avatar. In a way, it suited me better. I found the suspension, steering and size of the car to be slightly better than the i20. End of the day Grand i10 is still an i10, and i20 is a bigger car from the next segment.
There isn't alot of price difference between the two when you factor in the discounts. Please pick between Grand i10 Asta (O) and i20 Sportz/Asta. I wish the Grand i10 Sportz was as well equipped as the i20 Sportz. I went in for a higher model of the Grand because I wanted the safety equipment, and I felt the Grand i10 Sportz wasn't good value considering it misses out on 'a lot' of kit. All the best, you can't go wrong with either of them as your first car. The cars Hyundai makes nowadays All the best.
promit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 16:03   #440
Senior - BHPian

Any idea on the service interval for the Grand i10 Petrol?

Hope its 10,000km / 12 months like the small Marutis?
Old 7th April 2014, 16:27   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

Service interval for Hyundai cars is generally 6 months / 5000 kms.

Rohan
Old 8th April 2014, 19:21   #442
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Service interval for Hyundai cars is generally 6 months / 5000 kms.

Rohan
Service interval of all Hyundai cars sold after April 2013 (may be 2012 not so sure) is 10k km's or 12 months which ever is earlier. This is after the initial check-up service at 1500 km's.
amit1234singla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 11:31   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Service interval of all Hyundai cars sold after April 2013 (may be 2012 not so sure) is 10k km's or 12 months which ever is earlier. This is after the initial check-up service at 1500 km's.
Awesome. Thanks.

Saves the headache of visiting service station every six months and arguing with service personal on unnecessary inclusions.

One more question - has anyone found the clutch of Petrol Grand to be a bit tight. I had two test drives from two different dealers, but the clutch a bit hard compared to other cars in the segment both times.

Last edited by DCEite : 9th April 2014 at 11:34.
Old 9th April 2014, 12:02   #444
BHPian

Quote:
One more question - has anyone found the clutch of Petrol Grand to be a bit tight. I had two test drives from two different dealers, but the clutch a bit hard compared to other cars in the segment both times.
No, I think the clutch is very light. May be the test drive cars that you drove were not handled well or may have been subject to mishandling at the dealers end. The clutch of the car is absolutely fine and normal. I can say this with my experience of owning a Grand i10.
Old 11th April 2014, 00:05   #445
BHPian

I just got my Grand i10 on March 27th.I got the Asta(O) model Stardust Grey Colour

But I have a query. I am getting only max 14-15 kmpl mileage. Is this normal? My first service is due this week. Already covered 1100 km in the first 10 days after delivery of my vehicle.
Old 11th April 2014, 23:14   #446
BHPian

Guys, are there no official accessories by Hyundai for Grand i10 ? None listed in website.
Old 14th April 2014, 21:25   #447
BHPian

Hi All,

Request to mods: please move this query to a more suitable thread if inappropriate for this section.
My Grand i10 is around a month old and due for it's first service and I wanted to seek the forum's guidance around the best practices to be followed during the first service. I have been extremely careful during the initial running-in period and things are going smooth.

Please share any pointers or things that need to be done during first service? From my side, i'll insist that the engine oil and oil filter be changed, even if the SA says no. I understand the first service is mostly inspection, but there might still be some important things that might need to be done.
Also, the gearbox has been very notchy since day 1, and engaging reverse is a pain ,it gives off a loud grinding noise almost 99% of the time it's used. It engages super smoothly in the morning, when the car/engine is cold, but after running for a few KMS the shifts become a bit notchy and not too smooth. I take precaution to fully depress the clutch while shifting gears but the gearbox behavior is less smooth than I would prefer. Please advise.

Thanks,
Parth
Old 15th April 2014, 12:19   #448
BHPian

Oil change on first service is something I would also like to know. The service manual says its not required, but should I insist on it?
Old 16th April 2014, 18:57   #449
Senior - BHPian

My Grand Sportz is expected next week. I have a couple of quick questions for Grand i10 owners/ users:

1. Is it worth upgrading the tyres since my driving is mainly in the city and I will be opting for aftermarket 14" alloy wheels?? I am concerned about the grip levels of the Grand since it runs on 165 section tyres.

2. Is it possible to connect a subwoofer and amplifier carried forward from my previous car to the integrated music system of the Grand i10?? I wish to connect the front two component speakers and the subwoofer to the 4ch amplifier for slightly better SQ.

help
Old 17th April 2014, 13:24   #450
BHPian

Hi ,

I am sharing my experience of my first highway drive with my new Grand i10 Auto ( petrol ) . I drove it from Mumbai to Pune and back via the expressway. This is my first auto transmission car and first highway drive with it. We were 2 adults and 3 children ( Age : 12 years ) with full luggage. I am giving my opinion as below.

About the auto gearbox : I found Auto transmission of this car to be a mixed bag while on a highway. It's great on plain long parts of expressway but requires shifting to manual ( tiptronic ) mode to get more power during situations like overtaking or while in a ghat section. The gears don't change automatically ( read quickly ) as one may like them to. It's boring to drive it in a ghat section if you are in "D". my rating - 3/5

Pick up & power : Not great , it takes it's own sweet time to move ahead due to the Auto gear box. my rating - 2/5

NVH levels : The insulation is just great and NVH levels are quite low. My rating - 5/5

Stability & handling : It was so stable even at speeds like 120 km/hr. that I thought the speedometer was lying. You don't feel the speed. I never expected it from this small car. The steering becomes little stiffer at higher speeds. I am not sure if its a speed sensitive one or it was just my illusion. My rating - 4/5

Braking : The feel is totally different from my Ikon/Fiesta. They have a quick bite feel. I had to cautiously understand / learn how much press is required and how much braking to expect out it. My rating - 4/5

Music system : Nice and easy to use , blue tooth works well & pairing with a smart phone is a child's play, sound quality is average. My rating - 4/5

Air conditioning : It's manual. The fan noise is more that I expected in position 2 , but cooling is good. My rating - 3/5

Front Seat comfort : Lack in lumbar support. My rating - 3/5

Suspension : Possibly this is a best Hyundai ever in this section. I found it to be very comfortable even over rough patches. My rating - 4/5

Fit & finish : Superb is the word. No rattles. My rating - 5/5

Fuel economy. : I got a good 15 kms per liter ( full tank method ) My rating - 4/5

Hope I have covered things which illustrate the general feel of this car during a highway drive. I welcome questions if any. thanks !

Regards
Amol
amolathalye is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks