Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 18:11   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

A well deserved 5 star rating for the superb in depth review.

Hyundai surely knows how to keep the car loaded with features and priced sensibly, it has definitely upped the ante. Now the swift starts to look overpriced for the petrol especially. Maruti to fight back will have its task cut out to match the quality of the i10 Grande.

Will there be an updated autobox or the existing one will be carried from the i10 into this. The automatics should make an ideal choice for city and especially female counterparts.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 18:19   #47
BHPian

As usual, excellent Review GTO. Thanks very much.

BTW, I just found out this car doesn't have EBD. The same I found in Ecosport too. Besides charging so much for this Grand i10 Asta (O), I feel it's a bad idea by Hyundai for not providing EBD in it.
Wildy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 18:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• The i10 might be a small car, but there is nothing economy about it. After spending 2 days with the Grand, it just left behind a 'feel-good' factor. This isn't the case with a Liva, for example. Hyundai could've easily knocked off 20 - 30k on costs by compromising on interior quality. They didn't; it's these decisions that build a brand.
Couldn't agree more. That single statement almost sums up Hyundai approach worldwide.
I test drove the i10 and Swift back to back yesterday, and the contrast between the interior fit and finish is so glaring that my wife doesn't want to consider anything else other than i10 now.
yosbert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 18:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Nice review.

Mods : When I try to quote the 2nd Post (i.e. Post #2), it automatically quotes the 8th Post (Chief Competitors...). Tried 3 times, same result. Please check if theres a bug.
Old 16th September 2013, 18:41   #50
BHPian

Excellent Review as always GTO. The Grand seems like a really well rounded package, a perfect deal for an average Indian. It will give a tough competition to the Swift or maybe even the Dzire. Despite being a sedan, the Dzire boot space and rear space is just about ok. However, the grand gives you similar space in a much cheaper price tag with quality and equipment that is a class apart. I am sure it will be the new market leader. The diesel engine, despite its poor high end power delivery, would be a very capable urban motor with an excellent fuel average. The shocks are decent too, so is the equipment level. Good Job Hyundai
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 18:50   #51

Quote:
Chief Competitors of the Hyundai Grand i10

Maruti Swift

What you won’t:
• Long waiting period for delivery. Runs over 6 months in some cities
@GTO- Just wanted to point out that the Swift hardly has a waiting period nowadays. Some variants are available off the shelf, thanks to the insane heat MSIL is facing from competitors.
highonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 19:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What you won't:
• Fit and finish need improvement. Exterior panel gaps are inconsistent too
• Soft suspension setup. Best driven sedately
• Niggling issues & irritants persist (as reported by existing Vista owners)
Tata’s after-sales-service remains a gamble
Nowadays this has reduced, so best to negate these points.

Also here, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ons-prices.png
The Vista D90 wasn't considered, just the old Vista, which I think is not sold now (correct me if otherwise).
Old 16th September 2013, 19:59   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akileshsri View Post
A very good review GTO! Excellent...
I test drove the car last week and I was bowled to see the interiors to say the least. The fit and finish and the quality speaks volumes about product development capabilities of Hyundai. The Kappa engine is among the best in the world right now for small petrol engines, but I did not like the 1.1 Diesel. It has been calibrated for city driving, take it to the highway and it sucks. The flat torque in the mid range is too good but raise it to higher revs and the lack of torque is evident. A six speed would have been better. The other thing is reliability. How reliable are Hyundais in the long run?
Sir, Hyundais are very reliable vehicles. With their excellent ASS, they are sure to run well. They might not be as abuse friendly as a Jap, but service it well and it sure would put a smile on your face. Reliability for European vehicles though is a mixed opinion. Where some say that if kept properly, they are very reliable, i doubt this to be the case in Indian driving and weather conditions to which these cars aren't very well suited. But in terms of dynamics, build quality, features these beasts are unbeatable. (I love European Cars )
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 20:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

One small thing that I admire Hyundai is for the fact that right from the Santro they have been providing high quality door panel and bumper protection strips integrated from the factory. This makes a big difference in the way the bumper/doors gather scratches. This they have done despite it resulting in lower body work revenue for the A.S.S. I haven't seen any other small car provide it in stock form so far.
narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 20:28   #55
BHPian

As always, another great review by GTO. I drove the car last week and really liked the quality interiors, it felt better than some 10 lakh sedans. Regarding the diesel engine, i didn't feel any vibrations and engine noise is very low during normal driving speeds. I also felt the braking bit sharp but then i had doubt whether am i applying them bit eagerly, however GTO confirmed that also. The salesman clearly told they are aiming at Swift and i feel Grand i10 can really pull some good figures for Hyundai.
autobalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 20:49   #56
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review, as always !

Does the engine bay look like it could accomodate the diesel engine from i20 ?

The reason I'm asking this is because it would be interesting to see which diesel engine is offered in the sedan based on Grand i10. Now that would be a killer product whenever it launches.

Rohan

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2013 at 20:39. Reason: Lets avoid flamebait comments please.
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 21:06   #57
BHPian

wow! that's 'as usual' a very detailed review. Hyundai has another winner on hands.

I hope the Grand will not cannibalize its own i20 sales. Maruti /Ritz is surely going to face some heat in the sluggish market.
Old 16th September 2013, 21:07   #58
BHPian

Yet another excellent review covering all information's for any potential buyers.
Again Hyundai is scoring on all the aspects and would have been better if it was an expressway friendly vehicle. Not sure why a new diesel power train when excise / tax benefits can still be claimed with 1.4 diesel from i20 stable? Though a common man may buy for other positive attributes from Hyundai but will not be the case with other petrol heads who are leaned towards performance.
Old 16th September 2013, 21:45   #59
BHPian

A great honest and objective, GTO and co., and the review's 'fit and finish', as well as attention to details and photos, is as sublime as the Grand i10 itself.

As expected, the diesel engine will attract the sedate driver, while the petrol engine will appeal to the enthusiast driver. The Grand i10 is obviously targeting the Maruti Swift, but Maruti will not take things lying down. With the Swift refresh expected shortly, I am sure that Maruti will enter the war with new and perfectly capable ammunition. The greatest beneficiary is the spectator (customer).

Comparing my i10 with the Grand i10, a lot many welcome changes have been incorporated and Hyundai's Grand efforts to package one solid and all round hatch for the family, that is looking to own only one car, is well appreciated.

While many have already highlighted the positives and negatives of the Grand i10, I would like to add some of my observations:

1. How I wish Hyundai had incorporated the rear 60:40 split seat. This feature, which is considered so useful here in India, has surprisingly been omitted in the Eon, Santro, i10 and Grand i10 for unknown reasons. What is indeed strange is that the European version of the previous i10 had the split seats and I had even made efforts to contact Hyundai to see if I could have bought those split seats to fit them in my i10. Even if Hyundai did not want to fit the split seats on the Grand i10, the double-folding rear seat of the Santro could have been incorporated on the Grand i10. The double-folding seat is far practical and useful than the backrest-only folding seat which only folds to a particular angle.

2. While I am pleased that the door/tailgate warning lights and a digital clock have been included in all variants, right from Era to Asta, I cannot understand why intermittent wipers have not been incorporated on the Era.

Now, I have the following queries and I would appreciate if someone can throw more light in them:

1. What is the 'Battery Saver' option and what does it do?
2. What is the 'Engine running time' and 'Average vehicle speed' and what purpose do they serve?

Also, GTO, three questions for you...

1. Did the Hyundai executives confirm if a compact Grand i10 sedan is planned for April 2014, as has been reported in some section of the press? I am eager for more details on this CS, as it would be a perfect upgrade to my i10 hatch. As it is, the DZire has a boot which is barely 60 ltrs more than the Grand i10 and the Grand i10 compact sedan could well offer a boot space equaling or even exceeding the Honda Amaze.

2. Given the superior package offered in the Grand i10, does the present i10 make any sense at all? I mean, why would anyone want to opt for the present i10 when they can avail of a much better package in the form of the Grand i10? Could the i10 not find itself in a situation similar to that of the Estillo, which has been a rather insignificant sibling to the Wagon R?

3. Some time ago, I had requested you to compare the i10 with the Ritz. You had stated that the Ritz had offered far better ride and handling, as compared to the i10. Now with the arrival of the Grand i10, has the ride and handling improved significantly enough to compete with the very capable Ritz?

Thanks.

Last edited by misquitas : 16th September 2013 at 22:03.
misquitas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 22:13   #60
BHPian

Good to see that Hyundai has finally woken up to it's boat like ride quality.

1)They should've given ABS and Airbags along with each variant as optional. Honda must be appreciated on this front. Agreed that the aam junta might not take this seriously but at least our age old laws should be modified and ABS must be made either standard or optional for the customer who's willing to pay for it . People might come up with excuses like one may not need it if he/she drives slowly and carefully, but then you never know when you need it and given a choice the manufacturer would like to exclude it since the overall cost comes down and that could be their preference over customer safety.

2)Agree that their petrol cars mileage might be stopping them from including DTE and instantaneous FE but why not include it in diesel variants ? What could be the rationale behind excluding it time and again ?

3) Adjustable head rests would've been a nice thing to have although not a deal breaker.

Last edited by kaka46 : 16th September 2013 at 22:28. Reason: minor edits

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks