Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2014, 10:56   #646
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post

I have been in the market for a petrol hatch back and have zeroed in on the top trim versions of following vehicles
  1. Grand i10
  2. Brio
  3. Ritz
  4. Swift (I think Zxi is way over priced? )
I own a Petrol Grand i10 Asta(O). I got it in April this year, I'll try and answer some of your queries relating to the Grand i10.
As far as the cars you have listed go, all of them have some pro's and con's. At the time of my purchase, I felt Grand i10 was the best overall package of the lot. You should take a test drive and spend some time with each of the cars that you have listed.

Quote:
Reasons (as well as expectations and requirements) for trimming down to the afore mentioned models and choosing petrol as the fuel option is:
  1. Average distance covered per month will not be more than 400 Kms, Maximum would be 500 Kms.
  2. Car would be taken on EMI of 7 years
  3. On-road budget is strictly not more than 6.5 lacs
  4. Car should offer peace of mind, cannot be a frequent visitor to SC
  5. Car should age well (with proper and periodic services of course) as I intend to keep it for 7 years.
  6. 70% life would be in city environment
  7. While mostly there would be only front seat occupants in the car, rear bench also should be comfortable place to be. Especially in moderately long distance drives (70-120 Kms)
  8. Boot space should be decent and not abysmal
  9. Riding dynamics has importance from my personal perspective but I think I will have to make some compromises here if Grand i10 is chosen
  10. FE should be relatively consistent and realistically frugal
  11. I'm not avert to diesel, do not feel the requirement though.
  12. I am open to other brands other than the ones mentioned above
Points 4-8: It's a great city car in my opinion. It's well built for the price. It's well kitted. The rear seats is reasonably spacious for a car of this segment. The boot space is also decent. As far as how Hyundai's age? I think they age fairly well. My earlier car was a Santro Xing which was sold with 135k kms on the odo. My experience with Hyundai was impeccable. This steered me in favour of the Koreans to an extent, when I was in the market for my Gi10. My Santro didn't miss a beat throughout it's life apart from routine service. I expect the same from the Gi10.

9. For driving in the city, over bad roads and in traffic the soft set up and the light steering is a boon. On the highway, it's a different story. My car doesn't see the highway alot, but it's good upto 100-110km/hr. Beyond that you need to keep a very firm hand on the wheel.
My transition from my old car to this, for the first week, I could almost not tell what the front wheels were doing. It's just a matter of getting used to.

10. Fuel efficiency in the city will be 11-12.5 kms/ltr depending on how you drive. I think the Brio and the Maruti's fare a bit better in this regard?

12. Polo Comfortline

Quote:
  1. There has been several users reporting battery drain issues in team bhp and on various cyber forums in general. Is this issue addressed for good?
  2. Does the battery issue affects only the models with ignition switch? (Start-Stop switch)
  3. Hows the mechanical quality of grand i10? there has been reports of steering alignment getting affected when driven through uneven roads moderately. does this means that there could be overall reliabilities issues in the way car is put together
  4. Does Hyundai cars generally give consistent and close to declared fuel efficiency? (in comparison to other options in market)
  5. Is Hyundai ASS (routine maintenance as well as unexpected maintenance) considerably more expensive than Maruti/Honda?
  6. Does Hyundai cars age well? In the sense, does the driving dynamics, mechanical and engine performance deteriorate faster than other options in market?
  7. Are there any known issues with Hyundai and Grand i10 in general which I should be aware of?
  8. Would Grand be a good choice, what are the other options I can consider
1. The Gi10 was released circa September 2013. The initial batch of cars from till December 2013 or January 2014 were affected by this battery drain issue when the car was left idle for 2-3 days. A software upgrade fixed this issue, for the cars manufactured in the period mentioned. No issues since early 2014. The issue was sorted at the factory level. I have faced no issue in my 7-8 months of ownership

3. Mechanically I would say it's quite sound. The service interval is only once a year. Since the gap is quite a lot, I plan to get my wheels aligned and balanced every 5000 kms on my own. Currently my car has run 4200 kms, no alignment issues per se.
There were some reports and feedback shared about the steering wheel becoming free while driving, I haven't seen any update on the forum regarding that issue.

4. The Hyundai sales people lie through their teeth about their mileage. Take it with a pinch of salt. If they tell you 18kmpl. You can expect 70% of that. Similarly the Verna is quoted at 15 kmpl. Doesn't give more than 10-10.5.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out to me for any further questions about the Grand i10. You can also refer to my ownership thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ack-hatch.html
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 15:12   #647
i10
BHPian

I will try answering some of these based on my 6+ years of Hyundai experience (not Grand i10). I have low usage like yours.

Quote:
Does Hyundai cars generally give consistent and close to declared fuel efficiency? (in comparison to other options in market)
In the case of petrol, NO. I agree with @promit about it being in the 70 - 75% region of the quoted figures.

Quote:
Is Hyundai ASS (routine maintenance as well as unexpected maintenance) considerably more expensive than Maruti/Honda?
Routine - similar to Maruti
Unexpected - really nothing should come up, but like in the case of Maruti (and now Honda), take anything that the SA says with a whole bag of salt. If driven and maintained well, you would not need anything outside the manual.

Quote:
Does Hyundai cars age well? In the sense, does the driving dynamics, mechanical and engine performance deteriorate faster than other options in market?
I don't feel any major difference in the drive-ability or other factors. In fact, I don't even have rattles after all these years - note again that I have only driven 30K km in 6+ years, mostly in city conditions

Quote:
Are there any known issues with Hyundai and Grand i10 in general which I should be aware of?
Haven't run into any except for some over enthusiastic SAs eager to pile on their bonuses. However, my service experience with Hyundai has been very good. In some cases, minor niggles were even fixed free outside the regular service, no questions asked.
i10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 20:27   #648
BHPian

Thank you guys for patiently answering my queries in detail. I would request you to give me some more clarifications on some the doubts I have which is based on your replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by i10 View Post
I will try answering some of these based on my 6+ years of Hyundai experience (not Grand i10). I have low usage like yours.
  1. Would it be safe to assume that average city FE of Grand would be 11-12 and highways would be 15-16?
  2. When I mentioned unexpected services I actually meant service due to physical damage, which could be as big as small as a scratch or broken RVM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi Sid
Welcome to Team-BHP. Hope you have a rewarding time.

I just bought Grand i10 but the Diesel one and also have swift so I will try to answer your queries. Please see my answers in BOLD.
1. Is the city FE figures of Grand i10 petrol in real world 15-16? I feel apprehensive about it as it varies a lot from what users have reported. I feel it could be 11-14 (14 being optimistic)

2. Is Hyundai ASS actually cheaper than Maruti?. When I checked with few of my friends who own Hyundais and Marutis they said it could be comparable or on par now. But none agreed that Hyundai is cheaper than Maruti. Also some friends who own Honda swear that Honda is surely not cheaper than Hyundai or Maruti at least in the spares and consumables department. I could be wrong here. Please correct me if I am.

3. I like Hyundai i20 a lot. But I strongly feel the petrol is much underpowered and buying it would be justified hugely for cosmetic factors and some amount of increased interior space. Also as I had mentioned that my budget is 6.5 Lacs. I don't think the difference between Grand i10 Asta (O) and i20 with safety pack would be just few thousands. However, the major factor that keeps me away from i20 Petrol would be the under power issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I own a Petrol Grand i10 Asta(O). I got it in April this year, I'll try and answer some of your queries relating to the Grand i10.
As far as the cars you have listed go, all of them have some pro's and con's. At the time of my purchase, I felt Grand i10 was the best overall package of the lot. You should take a test drive and spend some time with each of the cars that you have listed.
Thank you I believe you have a very realistic point there about FE.

I think Polo Comfortline petrol is underpowered and pricing cannot be justified. Also I think it would surely overshoot my budget ceiling of 6.5 L. However, I think Polo is the best looking hatchback on Indian roads now. Classy is what I would say and I love classy.

Guys, once again Thanks for your time and hugely helpful points
Old 5th December 2014, 23:54   #649
BHPian

Quote:
3. I like Hyundai i20 a lot. But I strongly feel the petrol is much underpowered and buying it would be justified hugely for cosmetic factors and some amount of increased interior space. Also as I had mentioned that my budget is 6.5 Lacs. I don't think the difference between Grand i10 Asta (O) and i20 with safety pack would be just few thousands. However, the major factor that keeps me away from i20 Petrol would be the under power issue.

I20 petrol is not underpowered but it's just adequate. Polo is definitely underpowered. I have seldom felt the need for a lot more power though the more the merrier.

I was in a similar situation couple of months ago and my expectations are surely met.

I
Old 6th December 2014, 06:16   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
I20 petrol is not underpowered but it's just adequate. Polo is definitely underpowered. I have seldom felt the need for a lot more power though the more the merrier.

I was in a similar situation couple of months ago and my expectations are surely met.

I
As i20 petrol has the same engine as grand i10 in a slightly different state of tune with conisederable difference in kerb weight I believe there should be inadequacy of power which can be felt in real life scenarios in comparison to grand i10. Also the team bhp review says that the highway performance of i20 petrol is abysmal. And overtaking fast moving big vehicles could be tricky. Although I'm not a power crazy drover, to feel confident on highways I feel power on tap is necessary.
Old 6th December 2014, 09:24   #651
Team-BHP Support

One of my best buddy has sold his 1.3G (petrol) Swift and is currently swinging between a Celerio ZXi (O) and a Grand i 10 Asta. What would the FE be, city, highway? For petrol engine.
Old 6th December 2014, 09:30   #652
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
One of my best buddy has sold his 1.3G (petrol) Swift and is currently swinging between a Celerio ZXi (O) and a Grand i 10 Asta. What would the FE be, city, highway? For petrol engine.
More than the FE, two are leagues apart in build quality and finish. I think he should pick Grand i10 hands down.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 09:33   #653
BHPian

My Grand i10 with 7.5K on the odo generally gives me around 11.5-12 in city and 14-15 on highway. I use shell super unleaded (which is not really required, but promises more fuel efficiency) and drive with a heavy right foot. Usually upshift at 3k and never drive in a higher gear than required.

Hyundai petrol cars are generally sensitive to individual driving style. Planning to for Shell Helix Ultra fully synth during 2nd service at 10K.
Old 6th December 2014, 10:09   #654
i10
BHPian

Quote:
Completely different segments, though if mileage is the criteria, Celerio will keep him happy. Hyundai petrol's don't exactly set the mileage charts on fire. However, considering his current is a Swift, the Celerio will be a downgrade, and a Grand i10 closer to a refresh.
Old 6th December 2014, 10:25   #655
Team-BHP Support

Actually his usage is predominantly inside city, has an Innova in his extended family for longer hauls. Usage isn't much though. But as typical Indian buyer, one looks at FE primary and ignores all other aspects.
Old 6th December 2014, 11:16   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually his usage is predominantly inside city, has an Innova in his extended family for longer hauls. Usage isn't much though. But as typical Indian buyer, one looks at FE primary and ignores all other aspects.
Grand i10 is a nice choice, but for city driving I will recommend Celerio.

Celerio has better, or rather, more responsive engine overall as compared to either of motors available in Grand i10. Both have bad seats which lack support and have fixed head rests. Celerio has better visibility all round, a suspension which is less stiff and also has longer travel. Build is also above average. Grand I10 will score on interior quality and sound insulation. But for city driving and ease of use, Celerio is better.
Old 7th December 2014, 07:34   #657
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Celerio has better, or rather, more responsive engine overall as compared to either of motors available in Grand i10.
I believe the Celerio uses the same 3 pot 1.0 mill. I have had my fair share of revv-tastic fun in it, but that motor is dead below 2,000 revs. And the AC switch off/on can be felt while driving.

I haven't sat in both as back to back, but will stand by your comments
Old 12th December 2014, 22:33   #658
BHPian

Hyundai have listed Grand i10 Sportz variant & Sports edition in the prices of Grand i10, with a price difference of Rs.15-16k.
Can anybody tell what's the difference between this Sportz variant & Sports edition ?

Waiting for your replies bhp-ians.
Old 13th December 2014, 07:19   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Celerio has better, or rather, more responsive engine overall as compared to either of motors available in Grand i10. Both have bad seats which lack support and have fixed head rests. Celerio has better visibility all round, a suspension which is less stiff and also has longer travel. Build is also above average. Grand I10 will score on interior quality and sound insulation. But for city driving and ease of use, Celerio is better.
My friend has a Celerio. He says performance is just satisfactory and the car feels underpowered at many times even in city traffic. He also said air conditioner eating into power can be felt when its turned on when driving. My another friends who's been driving a Grand i10 (Petrol)since last year never had these complaints
Sid13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 17:51   #660
i10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Hyundai have listed Grand i10 Sportz variant & Sports edition in the prices of Grand i10, with a price difference of Rs.15-16k.
Can anybody tell what's the difference between this Sportz variant & Sports edition ?

Waiting for your replies bhp-ians.
The SportZ is a special edition accessorized Magna. Discussed here in detail: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3522655
i10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed