Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2015, 00:15   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Fuel is filled from Reliance, same pump from where Innova gets refilled and even Wagon r.
MAF is still the error shown by the scanner and CEL is not coming up.
There is practically very little improvement after MAF replacement. After the ECU reset, the grunt from engine is reduced to half. If MAF were errorsome, replacing it should have resulted into some gain and should have felt better than ECU reset car before part change.

Edit : could not quote post as I am operating from Mobile.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th July 2015 at 00:16.
Old 15th July 2015, 00:19   #797
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
If MAF were errorsome, replacing it should have resulted into some gain and should have felt better than ECU reset car before part change.
Not necessary. If the MAF gives the correct reading to the ECU, it will pump in that amount of fuel as calculated. What if the fuel isn't reaching the cylinders. What would the MAF do in such case? When was the fuel filter changed last?

Surprising why no CEL is lighting up.

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th July 2015 at 00:28.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 11:19   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Not necessary. If the MAF gives the correct reading to the ECU, it will pump in that amount of fuel as calculated. What if the fuel isn't reaching the cylinders. What would the MAF do in such case? When was the fuel filter changed last?

Surprising why no CEL is lighting up.
There is a warning light for fuel filter also, which did not lit up, neither did CEL.
The reason I am not suspecting fuel filter is :
After change of MAF and reset of ECU + 30 sec idle = MAF sensor error crops up again.
I think if fuel is not reaching the engine, the ECU might go in limp mode + CEL light lighting up on Dash.

The lack of CEL is biggest mystery, and if fuel filter is chocked, the lack of similar warning on dash is also a mystery.

MAF, to the best of my understanding, gives data about Air flow to ECU which then allocates/decides fuel to be supplied. MAF sensor error, after replacement of MAF should have gone. The car's behavior did not change even noticeably, which makes me wonder if MAF was wrong in the first place.

The car was picked up by Hyundai from my home while I am away at work. Travelling since today night for work and will be in NCR for next two days.
18th, I will be in a position to check out my car in case its not back home today.
Had planned a 250 kms. trip to our native place on 18th in my car, but its cancelled.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th July 2015 at 11:22.
Old 17th July 2015, 02:39   #799
BANNED

@Aggoswami, i have been following this thread silently for some time and all through i have noticed one thing, that by far you are the most unsatisfied customer of the Gi10. I also own a diesel variant of the same car, and i know the car is not perfect and it has many shortcomings, some i knew before i bought it, some i discovered later on, but more or less am quite satisfied with the car.

Don't get me wrong, but to me it feels that most of the issues that you post are mostly non issues, but just an expression of a truth, that you didn't do your homework correctly before you bought the car, and now you don't like your car one bit, and you have become overtly conscious of it's shortcomings and even a mole hole is turned up into a mountain by you.

As a fellow BHPian and as a well wisher, my honest suggestion to you would be to sell off your car and buy one that your heart says. This one will never give you peace of mind and will test your temper time and again as it has lost respect in your mind.

I wrote this because this is what i felt after reading your posts. Your car's problems are more in your mind than actual problems and like they used to say in old movies, "apko dawa ki nahi, hava paani badalne ki jarurat hai" i.e. you don't need a medicine for your car's problems but a paradigm shift in your acceptance levels.
chaudh2s is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 09:55   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
1) @Aggoswami, i have been following this thread silently for some time and all through i have noticed one thing, that by far you are the most unsatisfied customer of the Gi10. I also own a diesel variant of the same car, an..

2) Don't get me wrong, but to me it feels that most of the issues that you post are mostly non issues, but just an expression of a truth, that you didn't do your homework correctly before you bought the car, and now you don't like your car one bit, and you have ...

3) As a fellow BHPian and as a well wisher, my honest suggestion to you would be to sell off your car and buy one that your heart says. This one will never give you peace of mind and will test your temper time and again as it has lost respect in your mind.

4) I wrote this because this is what i felt after reading your posts. Your car's problems are more in your mind than actual problems and like they used to say in old movies, "apko dawa ki nahi, hava paani badalne ki jarurat hai" i.e. y...
Glad to read your post. You are not the first person to state the above, my family and close friends are also of similar view.
I am also thankful to TBHP and its members for a response to my posts and confirmation if their car has issues similar to mine. Words fall short for such co-operation and response. Thanks TBHP and its Members!

This post, I would start this from update of my car.
My car was taken by Downtown Hyundai from home and by evening the car was back. Mr. Kumar, Downtown Hyundai Service, told me that some wire was chewed up by rat which resulted into odd behavior as signals did not reach ECU. He specifically checked Air and Fuel filter upon my instruction ( thanks to member A4anurag's feedback ), found them to be OK.
Could not get an opportunity to drive the car on 15th as I just returned yesterday late evening. Drove the car and the initial surge is back. But the car still labors after 3000 rpm.
It means something was certainly wrong and its still not what it was a few hundred kms. back. But atleast drive-able.

1) My search and test drives lead me to believe that power would be less, and it was clear after my test drive back in 2014.
Had a detailed discussion with sales person, before booking the car, if I could get adjustable head rests of top variant installed in my car. Answer was that entire seat back could be replaced with that of top end variant or any accessory shop can add those for you, which I refrained from doing. Primarily the rear seat is used by my mom and she hasn't complained, and the seat back is not changed.
But there are few issues which I just could not ignore.

2 and 4) I disagree. The rust issue is certainly not normal for a car in my region and with low running. Hyundai failed to provide an explanation despite my repeated mails. I am sure you would have referred to my posts earlier claiming how irresponsible A'bad regional office was.
Rust anywhere is a silent killer. I have seen major machines having foundation deep inside the concrete factory floor break down due to rust. I have seen parts fall off large machines not due to vibrations, but due to rusted parts. Rust resulted into a broken factory crane, yes seen that too.
What I am trying to say is that rust ( again, anywhere ) was and is an issue which is not admitted by Hyundai. And in particularly my case, the rust seems to be on higher side.

QC in Casting components is not easy and Hyundai clearly is not having any check or control over it. Not all Hyundai Grand i10 have these rust issues, confirmed here on TBHP. I cannot digest such ignorance.

Car Scanner, which carried out my earlier services, did admit to having one more case of Xcent having such rust and parts were repainted.

Another issue : Steering becoming too light/overly assisted. This again has been reported here on TBHP on Xcent thread. I have faced this and still face it. Newer lots seem to arrive with resolved issue.

Third issue : Inconsistent braking.
During my trip to Pavagadh ( near Vadodara ), I faced this. Brake booster check was certainly essential but not carried out as anywhere people say its "normal" which it isn't.

During my trip on the day of Maha Shivratri, my friend drove Grand i10. He also thought my issues being an outcome of overthinking. He drove the car later and told me that something is not correct with brakes. The brakes were oversensitive at a slow speed and with speed they became less sensitive all of a sudden, and then again get oversensitive. The steering becoming overly light was also observed by him and so was the car jerking due to wire chew off. CEL not coming up is still a mystery, isn't it ? There is no explanation why CEL did not light up. Why So ? Me, my friend and my driver did not observe CEL lit up. And later some problem related to it is found. I do not find this Normal.

At the same time I have admitted that the car seems to have a sturdier built ( when my ORVM got hit and still is intact ) with nice NVH.

3) That's under process, but just awaiting some smart deal where in my loss can be minimized.

My trip to native place is cancelled and shall put Innova into service if need be. But these problems are not even present in my Wagon R despite the fact that Wagon R has seen a small accident.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 18th July 2015 at 10:11.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 00:52   #801
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Mr. Kumar, Downtown Hyundai Service, told me that some wire was chewed up by rat which resulted into odd behavior as signals did not reach ECU.
Oh, so now the story told by Hyundai is rear menace that caused the driving problems and the rest associated problems too?

Can you ask them the part of the wire that was chewed up and the wires that they replaced? Since the wires are new, identifying them in the engine bay would be easier. What say?!

Quote:
He specifically checked Air and Fuel filter upon my instruction ( thanks to member A4anurag's feedback ), found them to be OK.
Thank you and great that you got it checked. Good to hear that they are in good condition. Rules out my doubt regarding cooked fuel filter.

My doubt goes back to MAF unit then.

Quote:
It means something was certainly wrong and its still not what it was a few hundred kms. back. But atleast drive-able.
Good to hear that the car back somewhat better than what it was.

Quote:
The rust issue is certainly not normal for a car in my region and with low running. Hyundai failed to provide an explanation despite my repeated mails.

Not all Hyundai Grand i10 have these rust issues, confirmed here on TBHP. I cannot digest such ignorance.
Rusting be it in any industry is only a harm than anything else. One cannot accept rusting parts in car that too in a highly crucial part.

That rusting will kill the part from its roots making it un-repairable.

Quote:
My trip to native place is cancelled and shall put Innova into service if need be. But these problems are not even present in my Wagon R despite the fact that Wagon R has seen a small accident.
If the rusting was natural then cahoots are the Innova and WagonR not having this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Don't get me wrong, but to me it feels that most of the issues that you post are mostly non issues, but just an expression of a truth, that you didn't do your homework correctly

Last edited by a4anurag : 19th July 2015 at 00:56.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 15:47   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
1) Oh, so now the story told by Hyundai is rear menace that caused the driving problems and the rest associated problems too?

Can you ask them the part of the wire that was chewed up and the wires that they replaced? Since the wires are new, identifying them in the engine bay would be easier. What say?!

Thank you and great that you got it checked. Good to hear that they are in good condition. Rules out my doubt regarding cooked fuel filter.

My doubt goes back to MAF unit then.

Good to hear that the car back somewhat better than what it was.

2) Rusting be it in any industry is only a harm than anything else. One cannot accept rusting parts in car that too in a highly crucial part.

That rusting will kill the part from its roots making it un-repairable.

If the rusting was natural then cahoots are the Innova and WagonR not having this issue?
1) The car was cleaned inside out and given to me back. There is now a strong pull from 2000 rpm, but overall the behavior still feels lethargic. I will observe for a week or so further and drop the car back in.
I was not provided the chewed up wire, no images, and invoice just mentions "wiring harness". Shall post the image of invoice later.
They did mess up with the entire job which could have been so simpler if the error was not "Erased" in the first place, but rather done a thorough investigation in the first go.

2) Exactly! Why other cars are not having such rusting ? The steering knuckle is basically a connecting member and has 5 linkages. On top of that the irresponsible behavior of Hyundai further irks me.

Lets see how the car performs for the next week, I am observing that as the engine inches closer to operating temperature, behavior of motor changes somewhat. Yet to do a longer drive for further confirmation. I was not charged anything for all the investigation and part replacement, not even labor charge. But did lose a lot of fuel and time. Shall keep all posted in this case.
Old 7th August 2015, 14:24   #803
BHPian

Hi, looking for Hyundai Grand i10 Asta AT Tyre Upsize Recommendations. Can someone help with the alternative sizes? Car does 10% highway runs, not really in an enthusiast way. Well, the AT transmission doesn't allow spirited runs anyway
Old 7th August 2015, 14:40   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
Hi, looking for Hyundai Grand i10 Asta AT Tyre Upsize Recommendations. Can someone help with the alternative sizes?
If you are looking for a tyre upsize, refer S2's ownership review. He has Grandi10 Sportz petrol and upgraded to 185/60 R14 Yokohama Earth 1s tyres. I am quoting this from his ownership review about the tyre upsize :

Quote:
"The steering has gained some weight to it and although at dead centre position it is light, with speed/ turn angles it weighs up exceptionally well and the grip at corners feels quite confidence inspiring. A highly recommended upgrade!"
Grand Drive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 11:34   #805
BHPian

The mileage of my car is an absolute shocker 9-10 Kmpl at best.This after proper maintenance and servicing.I guess this is the main reason why Hyundai doesn't display average FE in their cars.
Old 11th August 2015, 12:55   #806
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
Hi, looking for Hyundai Grand i10 Asta AT Tyre Upsize Recommendations. Can someone help with the alternative sizes? Car does 10% highway runs, not really in an enthusiast way. Well, the AT transmission doesn't allow spirited runs anyway
Hi! The Grand i10 comes with 165/65 R14 stock tyres on 5.0 J*14 rims.

You can upgrade to one of three sizes - 175/60 R14 or 175/65 R14 or 185/60 R14 using the same stock rims.

-------

Overall diameter of the different sizes:

Stock size (165/65 R14) - 570.1 mm

Upgrade option 1 (175/60 R14) - 565.6 mm

Upgrade option 2 (175/65 R14) - 583.1 mm

Upgrade option 3 (185/60 R14) - 577.6 mm

-------

All the upgrade options are within the recommended 3% difference. And all 3 of them can be mounted on the stock 5.0 J*14 rims without any problems.

Out of the three, I do not recommend 175/60 R14 size (i.e. option 1). Not only would there be a marginal decrease in GC of ~ 2 mm, but the gain in terms of performance would also be marginal over the stock tyres. So I feel this size isn't worth upgrading to, at all.

185/60 R14 (i.e. option 3) would be the best upgrade in terms of performance, as recommended by Grand Drive and Parth46. This size also brings about a decent gain in GC of ~ 4 mm, and a fair amount of improvement in ride quality too. S2!!! and others have already upgraded to this size, and they whole-heartedly recommend it. There should be no problems with the tyres scraping against, or fouling with the wheel arches on turns, because many are using this size on the stock rims without any such issue.

If a good gain in GC and a nice improvement in ride quality is what you're looking for, then 175/65 R14 (i.e. option 2) would be the size to upgrade to. This gives you an additional side wall height of 13 mm and a GC gain of 6.5 mm. However, you may first have to check for any scraping / fouling issues, before upgrading to this size.

To conclude, I also think 185/60 R14 would be the best upgrade option, followed by 175/65 R14. I don't recommend 175/60 R14 size as an upgrade for the Grand i10 or Xcent.

Last edited by RSR : 11th August 2015 at 13:17.
RSR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 13:04   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
[b]185/60 R14 (i.e. option 3) would be the best upgrade[b] in terms of performance, as recommended by Grand Drive. This size also brings about a decent gain in GC of ~ 4 mm. S2!!! and others have already upgraded to this size, and they recommend it. There should be no problems with the tyres scraping against, or fouling with the wheel arches on turns, because many are using this size on the stock rims without any such issue.
Completely agree on this, thanks for sharing. Not only the GC advantage, the 185/60 size also improves steering/handling, stability and braking/grip by a noticeable margin.

I'm yet to upgrade to this size on mine, can hardly wait, but I've driven a friend's grand i10 with this tyre size and found substantial improvements in the areas mentioned above. Overall, a very highly recommended upgrade and something I'll do soon on my own Grand i10.
Parth46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 13:07   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
If you are looking for a tyre upsize, refer S2's ownership review. He has Grandi10 Sportz petrol and upgraded to 185/60 R14 Yokohama Earth 1s tyres. I am quoting this from his ownership review about the tyre upsize :
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Hi! The Grand i10 comes with 165/65 R14 stock tyres on 5.0 J*14 rims.

You can upgrade to one of three sizes - 175/60 R14 or 175/65 R14 or 185/60 R14 using the same stock rims.

-------

Overall diameter of the different sizes:

Stock size (165/65 R14) - 570.1 mm

Upgrade option 1 (175/60 R14) - 565.6 mm

Upgrade option 2 (175/65 R14) - 583.1 mm

Upgrade option 3 (185/60 R14) - 577.6 mm

-------

All the upgrade options are within the recommended 3% difference. And all 3 of them can be mounted on the stock 5.0 J*14 rims without any problems.

Out of the three, I do not recommend 175/60 R14 size (i.e. option 1). Not only would there be a marginal decrease in GC of ~ 2 mm, but the gain in terms of performance would also be marginal over the stock tyres. So I don't feel this size isn't worth upgrading to at all.

185/60 R14 (i.e. option 3) would be the best upgrade in terms of performance, as already recommended by Grand Drive. This size also brings about a decent gain in GC of ~ 4 mm. S2!!! and others have already upgraded to this size, and they whole-heartedly recommend it. There should be no problems with the tyres scraping against, or fouling with the wheel arches on turns, because many are using this size on the stock rims without any such issue.

If a good gain in GC and a nice improvement in ride quality is what you're looking for, then 175/65 R14 (i.e. option 2) would be the size to upgrade to. This gives you an additional side wall height of 13 mm and a GC gain of 6.5 mm. However, you may have to first check for any scraping / fouling issues before upgrading to this size.

To conclude, I also think 185/60 R14 would be the best upgrade option, followed by 175/65 R14. I don't recommend 175/60 R14 size as an upgrade for the Grand i10 or Xcent.
WOW! You guys are awesome. I did actually find S2's thread earlier on, but wasn't sure about stock rims, alloys size and the relationship - since S2 had the sportz model, and went from stock rims to alloys.

Thanks a bunch! 185/60/r14 it is
barcode is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 17:47   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
The mileage of my car is an absolute shocker 9-10 Kmpl at best.This after proper maintenance and servicing.I guess this is the main reason why Hyundai doesn't display average FE in their cars.
Is your route completely jam-packed in B2B traffic? My petrol Grand i10 give me atleast 12, and that's after I rip it, rev it and upshift only around 3K on the tacho. But my daily route is a good mix of B2B as well as open stretches.

I don't have a very FE-friendly driving style, but I'm yet to see it drop below 11.5 at the worst. I measure it tankful to tankful, and I also use Shell V Power which claims to deliver better FE.

I also balance the slightly lower FE with a few work-from-home days, to keep the overall petrol bill in check

Last edited by Parth46 : 11th August 2015 at 17:49.
Old 12th August 2015, 16:52   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
The mileage of my car is an absolute shocker 9-10 Kmpl at best.
I am getting 11 - 12 kmpl in heavy bumper to bumper traffic and 16 - 18 kmpl in highways.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 12th August 2015 at 16:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks