Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 18:10   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
The mileage of my car is an absolute shocker 9-10 Kmpl at best.
I get anywhere between 11.5 and 13 km/l in moderate to bad city traffic. The lowest I've got till date is 10.5. Although it is worth mentioning that 80% of the times I drive with my air-con off. Also, my driving style isn't consistent and 70% of the time the throttle inputs would be 10-15% with up-shifts below 2,000 RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
Thanks a bunch! 185/60/r14 it is
That's a great upgrade! You can safely mount the 185s to you stock rims. Actually, 5j wheels can be wrapped around no more than 185 mm tyres, so no worries there. The wider tyres do inspire confidence while tackling faster curves as well as while hard braking.

@Grand Drive

The steering wheel feel & feedback though remains inconsistent. There are days when my Grand i10's steering has some (artificial) weight and then there are days when it is light and lifeless. While going through this thread, I found out that I'm not the only one who faces this problem, so have adapted to this little niggle, in what is otherwise a very practical car.
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 18:15   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The steering wheel feel & feedback though remains inconsistent.
Is this because of the tyre upsize ? I find the light steering feedback to be exceptional ( very easier to drive ) in bumper to bumper traffic and weighs really well when you speed up.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 12th August 2015 at 18:18.
Old 12th August 2015, 20:06   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Is your route completely jam-packed in B2B traffic? My petrol Grand i10 give me atleast 12, and that's after I rip it, rev it and upshift only around 3K on the tacho. But my daily route is a good mix of B2B as well as open stretches.

I also balance the slightly lower FE with a few work-from-home days, to keep the overall petrol bill in check
No, the route I take to office is relatively free of traffic.My driving style is pretty sedate. I check the tire pressures at-least once a week as well still don't know the reason for the awful FE. I guess Hyundai engines were never known for their FE like its Japanese counterparts.

Even I have to resorted to WFH at-least once a week to save on fuel
Old 13th August 2015, 10:05   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Is this because of the tyre upsize ? I find the light steering feedback to be exceptional ( very easier to drive ) in bumper to bumper traffic and weighs really well when you speed up.
I doubt the inconsistent feedback is because of the tyres. I had upgraded the tyres of my Ritz too (from 165 to 185) and although the steering did weigh up a little more after the upgrade, it wasn't ever inconsistent like the Grand's. This seems to be an issue related to the EPS.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 18:23   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
The mileage of my car is an absolute shocker 9-10 Kmpl at best.This after proper maintenance and servicing.I guess this is the main reason why Hyundai doesn't display average FE in their cars.
9 - 10 seems to be on the low side - but how often do you drive? Considered changing engine oils?

My Gi10 gives me a pretty happy 14 kmpl in the city - BUT ONLY IF USED FREQUENTLY (~ 200 km / week). I'm not the sort who is easy on the shifts or the throttle. I usually shift up 2500 - 2800 RPM but I do a lot of coasting. My car runs on regular engine oil since the 3rd service and has now clocked 26200 Km on the ODO. I'm planning to drive in for service at 26,500.

But I have noticed one peculiar thing - I'm not sure if it's just my car that's one-off but I feel that the fuel gauge is quite misleading.

If I top my tank, the gauge still sticks to F mark even after I've run close to 120 Km (multiple trips). After that it's a sharp fall. The same problem happens even if I fill petrol for just INR 1000 once the reserve lamp burns. That's close to 15 L but the fuel gauge points to Half level or just over it. With a tank capacity of 40 L excluding reserve, it should point half way between 1/4 and 1/2. I noticed the issue within the first month of purchase and had the fuel tank / gauge checked at 1st and 2nd service sessions at V3 Hyundai, Perungudi, Chennai and the chaps said that it's functioning fine.

Given that I know it's fishy, I tend to get extremely nervous when my reserve lamp burns occasionally - how much of reserve does it have left? Or is it in Reserve for sure? Can I go another 5 kms to the fuel station?

If this is a regular issue which most owners (petrol / diesel cars) face, I think it holds some key to why Hyundai doesn't show the instantaneous fuel economy/ average fuel economy. It's the same case with the Elite i20 - the car can possibly potty train your dog but still would not show fuel economy.

Seriously, what is the deal with that?
Old 17th August 2015, 08:43   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigvr View Post
But I have noticed one peculiar thing - I'm not sure if it's just my car that's one-off but I feel that the fuel gauge is quite misleading.
The total capacity of the fuel tank is 43 liters. The fuel gauge indicates the approximate amount of fuel in the fuel tank. I observed that if you are on a short trip, fuel gauge indicator shows progress only on the next time you start the engine. But if you are on a long trip, the indicator shows gradual decrease in the fuel gauge. Never drive with a low fuel as it may damage the catalytic converter.

Hyundai must had at least provided 'Distance to Empty' feature. It's strange that they omitted this feature even in their diesel vehicles.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 17th August 2015 at 08:54.
Old 17th August 2015, 09:14   #817
BHPian

Quote:
The total capacity of the fuel tank is 43 liters. The fuel gauge indicates the approximate amount of fuel in the fuel tank. I observed that if you are on a short trip, fuel gauge indicator shows progress only on the next time you start the engine. But if you are on a long trip, the indicator shows gradual decrease in the fuel gauge. Never drive with a low fuel as it may damage the catalytic converter.
Even in that case, that's one hell of an approximation. When you approximate on an already approximated figure, it means serious trouble.
Old 17th August 2015, 10:02   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigvr View Post
Even in that case, that's one hell of an approximation. When you approximate on an already approximated figure, it means serious trouble.
If you auto cut-off during full tank fill, fuel tank won't be filled to it's full capacity. If your fuel efficiency is 14kmpl, it's safe to fill tank when you crossed between 420 - 450 kms.
Old 17th August 2015, 10:34   #819
BHPian

My monthly running is around 800 kms. Out of which 13 kms to and fro to office 5 days a week in rush hour which takes an hour easily per weekday. Apart from that a weekly trip to Delhi (short highway sprints) and rest within Gurgaon only. I have the AC running 95% of the time. I am consistently getting 11.5-12. Max I get in these conditions is 12.5 kmpl. I think its fairly reasonable numbers giving the conditions. I don't drive with a heavy foot. I measure using TFM and fuellog app and note it in an excel sheet too. I can share an excel of my last one years fuel records if anyone wants to take a look. This is a 1.2L petrol btw.

As far as the fuel gauge is concerned, the four quarters are definitely not proportionate. I have noticed this in the gen 3 prefacelift Honda City and Honda Amaze too. I'm not extremely sure,I think the fuel is measured using a float, like in a toilet flush and that's the reason behind the inconsistency in readings/indications.
For my Grand i10, the needle does not budge from F till you cover ~90 kms. I manage to do 275-300 kms before it indicates half tank. Manage to do 375-400 kms till it indicates last quarter. In the last quarter within around 70 kms the low fuel light glows. I usually drive for around 10-15 kms after the light comes on before I refuel. I usually do 450-480 kms on a tank full and it takes in 38-39 litres (auto cut off). Safe to say there is at least 4-5 litres (fuel tank capacity: 43 ltrs) when the low fuel light glows.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by promit : 17th August 2015 at 10:42.
promit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 16:55   #820

The topmost button electrically folds in / out the ORVMs. Additionally, the mirrors fold in / out automatically when you lock / unlock the i10:

My friend has "Grand i10 sportz petrol version 2015".. The review says mirros fold in/ out automatically when you lock/ unlock the car. However, this doesn't seem to work in his car. Any one has an idea as to why this is? Is it not applicable for the model he has?? Do let me know
Old 19th August 2015, 18:39   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeshsurroach View Post
My friend has "Grand i10 sportz petrol version 2015".. The review says mirros fold in/ out automatically when you lock/ unlock the car. However, this doesn't seem to work in his car. Any one has an idea as to why this is? Is it not applicable for the model he has?? Do let me know
Grandi10 Sportz variant is equipped with electrically adjustable and electric folding side mirrors. Refer this link and like to know whether your friend auto folding the ORVM using the mirror fold/unfold switch before locking the car. If that's case, the ORVM's retain it's old state when you unlock the car i.e. it will be in folded position and you need to manually press the mirror fold/unfold switch to get the side mirrors unfolded.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 20:29   #822

Quote:
Grandi10 Sportz variant is equipped with electrically adjustable and electric folding side mirrors. Refer this link and like to know whether your friend auto folding the ORVM using the mirror fold/unfold switch before locking the car. If that's case, the ORVM's retain it's old state when you unlock the car i.e. it will be in folded position and you need to manually press the mirror fold/unfold switch to get the side mirrors unfolded.
Thanks! So guess there isn't a way that mirrors unfold automatically when the car is unlocked with the remote key.
Old 19th August 2015, 22:20   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeshsurroach View Post
So guess there isn't a way that mirrors unfold automatically when the car is unlocked with the remote key.
The side mirrors will fold automatically when locked and unfold automatically when unlocked ( either by pressing the black request sensor button or by the unlock button of the car key).

But if the mirror fold/unfold switch is pressed manually before locking the car, then the ORVM will be now in the folded state. So, now when you lock the car using the key, the mirrors will still be in the folded state. Now, when you unlock the car using car key, the ORVM will retain it's old state i.e. in the folded position. Hence the mirrors will not automatically unfold when you unlock the car using the key.Therefore, you need to manually press the mirror fold/unfold switch to get the side mirrors unfolded. Hope it's clear now.
Grand Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 12:17   #824
BHPian

Seeing a lot of posts about the mileage I got tempted to post a few queries of my own.

My 1.2 L Asta has just covered 10K last week in last 14 months. I usually drive in city bumper to bumper traffic with occasional free stretches. Most of the time the car travels in 3rd gear at 30-35 KMPH. For the free stretches I can go max 50 KMPH and that roads have a number of signals. After all these I get around 11 - 11.5 KM/L max. I run with AC with almost 80-90% of the time. during the winter the mileage shot up to 12.25. BTW all these are measured with tank full (auto cut-off) method.

I took a highway trip to Mandarmani last January and the mileage proved out to be an outstanding 17+ KMPL.

But recently after the second servicing (1 year or 10K KMs) in the month of June, 2015, the mileage has come down noticeably. Not what I am getting is grazing 9.5 - 10.5 KMPL. Nothing has changed in between except the rainy season. But something that about the fuel gauge is worrying me. I can run 50-55 Km without the pointer budging. But after that it is a steady decline. My journey is exactly 28 KMs each day from home -> Office -> Home. Today when I started for office the needle was somewhere in the middle (slightly inclined left) of the second quarter markings. By the time I reached office (14 Kms) It was almost pointing as half tank. I mean that is drastic. Is it normal to see a decline in mileage after the first servicing where the engine oil and filter was changed?

One more question, about a month back an incident happened. I went to a restaurant and gave my car for valet parking. After coming back from the lunch after 2 hours 30 mins when the parking guy handed over the keys to me (It was parked all along right in front of the restaurant and hence just handed me the keys) I found the car was running all along for the past 2.5 hours. The car was like a blast furnace, but the engine temperature gauge was almost normal. I spend almost 15-20 mins with the hood open and windows open before starting to get back home. Looking at the fuel gauge I realized that almost 3-4 liters of fuel was wasted for nothing. Now that I see the mileage is going down after that, what are the possible damages that might have caused by this incident. The car idled for a real long time which is highly abnormal a scenario. Is there any possibility that these two incidents are related somehow?

Feeling a bit concerned about these. I will take it to the service stations, but wanted the inputs of the Gurus here beforehand.

Last edited by g_saunak : 21st August 2015 at 12:20.
Old 4th September 2015, 10:12   #825
BHPian

I got it confirmed from the SA and the customer care. The automatic folding/unfolding of mirrors while locking/unlocking feature is available only on the AMT and diesel Asta variant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks