Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2015, 14:29   #916
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Hi Guys

Am looking to book the Grand i10 Asta (O) trim diesel. A few questions to the owners so that I can make a decision:
1. I understand that the auto foldable ORVMs fold in/out when we lock/unlock the car. Can they also be folded outwards manually to the extreme - not sure if I am able to put it correctly; to give an example, the swift that I drive comes with a 'biker-proof' ORVMs where the ORVMs fold out to the max - does the grand i10 come have this feature?
2. Has anyone got a rear camera fit in? I am getting an ok-ok deal from the dealer (electro chromatic IRVM with built in reverse camera display) - however, I was looking more for a camera which would be placed like the elite i20 (integrated to the boot release holder); the SA informs that this is not possible and the camera will have to be put on the rear bumper exactly in the middle of the 4 reverse sensors - again, the concern that I have is if I get a mild rear-end kiss from a biker or a driver (which is a pretty common occurrence in Bangalore) - will the camera and the sensors survive the impact?
3. The push button start - is there any way it can be over-ridden? Just wanted to know in case of any emergency etc. if I can use the key to crank the engine.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by turboturtle : 21st December 2015 at 14:31. Reason: added 3rd point
Old 21st December 2015, 14:41   #917
BHPian

First of all, congrats on your booking.

1. They CANNOT be folded outwards manually to the extreme. Trust me, I've tried this. It didn't work.
2. I cannot comment on this because I don't have the camera. I used to have it in my Innova, and it was pretty Shatter-Proof. We've had a lot of hits in the camera and still nothing happened.
3. You cannot override the Push-Button start. I read somewhere on this forum that if the battery juice if the remote is done, you have to point the Top of the remote toward the Push-Button start button and it will start. Maybe the experts can help us here?

Hope this helps!

-Adhi
The Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 15:16   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
First of all, congrats on your booking.

1. They CANNOT be folded outwards manually to the extreme. Trust me, I've tried this. It didn't work.
2. I cannot comment on this because I don't have the camera. I used to have it in my Innova, and it was pretty Shatter-Proof. We've had a lot of hits in the camera and still nothing happened.
3. You cannot override the Push-Button start. I read somewhere on this forum that if the battery juice if the remote is done, you have to point the Top of the remote toward the Push-Button start button and it will start. Maybe the experts can help us here?

Hope this helps!

-Adhi
Thanks Adhi - one more question: is the spare key also a 'smart' one (same as the original one)? Or is it a normal one?
Old 21st December 2015, 18:37   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboturtle View Post
Thanks Adhi - one more question: is the spare key also a 'smart' one (same as the original one)? Or is it a normal one?
The spare key is a smart key. This is one reason for the "feel-good" factor GTO sir mentioned in this review. Everything in this car is "premium". Pretty sure you're gonna enjoy your car! Good choice on the airbag model. Waiting for the ownership review.

Congrats on your car again.

-Adhi
The Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 19:45   #920
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs Adhi - I am mostly veering to the grand i10 since that's pretty convenient and compact. And, of course, the feel good factor too.
A few (more) questions if you don't mind answering:
1. The GC is 165 mm - I drove over a few bad roads (not as bad as they get when it rains in Bangalore) and found it was pretty OK. Have you faced any issues? Also has any T-BHP here used Rogerab suspension [[ link to grand i10 rogerab suspension enhancer here - http://www.rogermotors.com/rogerab/g...11-93181170457 ]]
2. There were some scare stories which I read / heard about the request sensors and auto start buttons - can a thief start the car and drive a fair distance if the key is not in range of the car or will the car automatically shut down / stop if it finds that the key is not in range?

I know I am asking too many questions - but I don't want to find myself in an awkward situation later on; the auto lock not being present - this is something that I can make as a habit to do so, but the request sensors and auto start are not in my control! Thanks for your patience in answering these queries.
Old 22nd December 2015, 09:23   #921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. There were some scare stories which I read / heard about the request sensors and auto start buttons - can a thief start the car and drive a fair distance if the key is not in range of the car or will the car automatically shut down / stop if it finds that the key is not in range?
The smart key has to be *Inside* the car to start the engine with the push button.Even if you place the smart key just outside the door, the car will not start.

If the engine is left on and you walk away with the smart key, there will be loud beep warning you. I don't think there is a safety feature where the engine shuts down automatically in the absence of the smart key.

But then, think about it, why would you walk away from the car without switching the engine off & without locking it? Practically, in any other car with a "normal" key, this would be the same as leaving the car with the engine on & key inside the ignition hole - an open invitation to car thieves.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:21   #922
BHPian

Thanks skanchan95.
My main concern was if the car can start without the key being inside the car - if that cannot happen, then the reminder of the case wont happen

Anyway, had been to the Hyundai showroom for the nth time (I am a bit pessimistic to say the least) and confirmed the below myself:
1. As skanchan95 said, car doesn't start without the key being inside the car, and does make a very loud beeping sound if the key moves out of range after the car is started
2. The car doesn't stop (after it was started) if the key moves out of range
3. For the doors to open, the distance from the key should be pretty close, I'd tested with about 4 feet away - the doors wouldn't open beyond this; when moved closer, the doors opened, but the engine wouldn't crank up - it cranks up only when the key is actually inside the car
4. I inquired specifically about alternate starting methods (if the car battery juice goes down etc.) - come to think about it, it isn't any different from a normal key insert-turn ignition on-crank scenario - if the battery is down, either do a push start (not recommended apparently for cars now-a-days) or get a jump start done and replace the battery immediately
5. ORVM fold out (to the max) - checked it in comparison with the elite i20 (pics attached in 'flex' and normal positions respectively) - the i20 ORVMs do flex a bit outward, but definitely not as much as the swift I usually tend to compare it with; the grand i10 definitely doesn't budge outward manually at all
6. Test drove the car again (I think fifth time) over a few big size speed breakers near home to ensure that the underbelly doesn't scrape - and it didn't

So, all in all, looks good from my point of view. Paid the booking advance & collected the receipt - the color that I wanted wasn't in stock, so, the dealer has placed an indent and informed me that it should come around end of this week. Hope to get it in time so I can avail of the discounts that are on-going in Bangalore!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-img_20061.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-img_20071.jpg  

turboturtle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 20:38   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys

Am looking to book the Grand i10 Asta (O) trim diesel. A few questions to the owners so that I can make a decision:
1. I understand that the auto foldable ORVMs fold in/out when we lock/unlock the car. Can they also be folded outwards manually to the extreme - not sure if I am able to put it correctly; to give an example, the swift that I drive comes with a 'biker-proof' ORVMs where the ORVMs fold out to the max - does the grand i10 come have this feature?
2. Has anyone got a rear camera fit in? I am getting an ok-ok deal from the dealer (electro chromatic IRVM with built in reverse camera display) - however, I was looking more for a camera which would be placed like the elite i20 (integrated to the boot release holder); the SA informs that this is not possible and the camera will have to be put on the rear bumper exactly in the middle of the 4 reverse sensors - again, the concern that I have is if I get a mild rear-end kiss from a biker or a driver (which is a pretty common occurrence in Bangalore) - will the camera and the sensors survive the impact?
3. The push button start - is there any way it can be over-ridden? Just wanted to know in case of any emergency etc. if I can use the key to crank the engine.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Thanks skanchan95.
My main concern was if the car can start without the key being inside the car - if that cannot happen, then the reminder of the case wont happen

Anyway, had been to the Hyundai showroom for the nth time (I am a bit pessimistic to say the least) and confirmed the below myself:
1. As skanchan95 said, car doesn't start without the key being inside the car, and does make a very loud beeping sound if the key moves out of range after the car is started
2. The car doesn't stop (after it was started) if the key moves out of range
3. For the doors to open, the distance from the key should be pretty close, I'd tested with about 4 feet away - the doors wouldn't open beyond this; when moved closer, the doors opened, but the engine wouldn't crank up - it cranks up only when the key is actually inside the car
4. I inquired specifically about alternate starting methods (if the car battery juice goes down etc.) - come to think about it, it isn't any different from a normal key insert-turn ignition on-crank scenario - if the battery is down, either do a push start (not recommended apparently for cars now-a-days) or get a jump start done and replace the battery immediately
5. ORVM fold out (to the max) - checked it in comparison with the elite i20 (pics attached in 'flex' and normal positions respectively) - the i20 ORVMs do flex a bit outward, but definitely not as much as the swift I usually tend to compare it with; the grand i10 definitely doesn't budge outward manually at all
6. Test drove the car again (I think fifth time) over a few big size speed breakers near home to ensure that the underbelly doesn't scrape - and it didn't

So, all in all, looks good from my point of view. Paid the booking advance & collected the receipt - the color that I wanted wasn't in stock, so, the dealer has placed an indent and informed me that it should come around end of this week. Hope to get it in time so I can avail of the discounts that are on-going in Bangalore!

Yes the mirror definitely goes outwards because once on Mysore road a biker hit my right wing mirror badly and it went outwards. I thought the entire electronics of the mirror would have got busted. I just pressed the mirror close button and it became normal. But since then the right wing mirror is about a milli second slower than the left.
fazonater1911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 21:13   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
If the engine is left on and you walk away with the smart key, there will be loud beep warning you.
But then, think about it, why would you walk away from the car without switching the engine off & without locking it?
Have you ever handed the car over to the valet in a 5-star hotel with the smart key in your pocket? I have.

Luckily , the car had gone ahead barely 10 feet when I remembered.
Old 24th December 2015, 06:27   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Have you ever handed the car over to the valet in a 5-star hotel with the smart key in your pocket? I have.

I have too done that. I did not realise neither did the valet guy. Later when he realised that he can't lock the car he came to my room for asking the key and that's when I realised that the smart key is actually not that smart sometimes.
fazonater1911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 12:46   #926
BHPian

Thanks for your replies and help folks. A couple of questions on running in the new car. I know, I have not taken the delivery yet, but I am a bit like that
1. The owner's manual states that there is no special break-in period required, but need to follow the below precautions (refer snap at end of post). This is slightly in contradiction to the TBHP running in guide where it's mentioned do not go beyond 2200 RPM for first 1000 KMS, then between 2500 to 2800 RPM for next 500 KMS, then increase gradually to max limit by 2500 KMS. Which ones have you followed?
2. When I spoke to the service manager, he informed that Hyundai fills the engine oil, then flushes it out and refills the engine oil before delivering the car. Hence, it is not mandated to change the engine oil at the first service. I find it a bit hard to believe, but if they really do this, it's highly appreciated. The TBHP running in post mentions it is recommended to change the engine oil at 1000 KMS. Any members specifically got the engine oil changed at the first service. This is something that I am planning to insist on and get done.

Let me know your thoughts on the above guys.
Attached Images

turboturtle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 14:29   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
Yes the mirror definitely goes outwards because once on Mysore road a biker hit my right wing mirror badly and it went outwards. I thought the entire electronics of the mirror would have got busted. I just pressed the mirror close button and it became normal. But since then the right wing mirror is about a milli second slower than the left.
I had faced a similar situation. Left mirror in my case.
Since that incident the left mirror takes about half a second more to fold completely. I will report it in my next service and see what the SA got to say.
sidzz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 19:05   #928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post

I make it a point to, and its become a habit now, to keep my mobile phone and the smart key in the storage area under the AC controls. Before keeping the phone, I switch on the mobile's Bluetooth and pair it with the car's system after starting the engine and audio.

On a side note, I never give the car to a valet, after hearing about some horror stories about the way some of these valets handle the car.
Old 24th December 2015, 19:33   #929
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. The owner's manual states that there is no special break-in period required, but need to follow the below precautions (refer snap at end of post). This is slightly in contradiction to the TBHP running in guide where it's mentioned do not go beyond 2200 RPM for first 1000 KMS, then between 2500 to 2800 RPM for next 500 KMS, then increase gradually to max limit by 2500 KMS. Which ones have you followed?
Congratulations on your new Grand i10, turboturtle!

The precautions mentioned in the owner's manual regarding the first few thousand kilometres are correct, but it looks like it was meant only for the 1.2 Kappa petrol engine!

Since yours is a diesel, it's not recommended to revv the engine as high as 4000 rpm during the initial period of 1000 km. So the process mentioned on Team-BHP's guide would be the one to follow.

Yes, you may change the engine oil and filter during the first service. It's not a part of the free 1st service, but you can pay for it and have this done.

Last edited by RSR : 24th December 2015 at 19:37.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 01:59   #930
Distinguished - BHPian

I own 2013 grand i10 diesel asta and have driven 55000 kms. Just one week before the expiry of my warranty, ABS light flashed and it turned out to be a faulty rear wheel ABS sensor. Also service advisor noticed oil leak in turbo charger. Both the parts were replaced under warranty.
ABS sensor rear wheel 5000 rs approx
Turbo charger 25k approx

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks