Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2013, 20:47   #91
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Guys, firstly thank you for the 5 star thread rating. I'm glad that all of you found the review to be helpful.

To answer the queries posed so far:

- No Team-BHP stickers on the car as it was shared with other media. Matter of courtesy.

- Most pictures taken @ Fairmont Hotel in Udaipur.

- Hyundai's cars have proven super reliable, and easily on par with the Japanese. I don't have any concerns in this area.

- @ Motorguy: Disagreed. One of the most important areas of improvement (over the old i10) is the cushy ride. The old i10 is way too bumpy.

- Sorry, no pictures of the Grand i10 in any colour other than the Orange & Maroon. Wait for the ownership reports

- Outright performance is a little better than the Figo diesel. The Micra feels peppier though.

- As the 1.2L engine is basically the same, I'm pretty sure that the upcoming Grand AT will have the same gearbox as the old i10.

- All corrections to the 'competitors' post have been implemented. Thanks! Except for Tata's service; it is still poor in Mumbai.

- One of the reasons behind choosing a 1.1L liter for the Grand is to differentiate it from the more premium i20.

- Yes, Grand i10-based sedan is coming up in the 1st half of 2014.

- The Grand i10's ride quality is definitely better than the Ritz.

- I'm guessing that, when the fuse box is in OFF position, it is the same situation as a disconnected battery. Nothing will work.

- Diesel engine video here (credit to Jkdas)

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2013 at 20:49.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 20:56   #92
Senior - BHPian

Looks like some fantastic noise insulation they have done on i10Grand. I was amazed by the sound absorption once the bonnet was closed
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 21:21   #93
Senior - BHPian

Edit : Sry, this one :
Hi! In the above comparo, the regular Vista was considered (which I think is not sold now - correct me if otherwise), not the D90. Can we have the Comparo-Sheet with the D90?

Btw, the car looks Awesomely droolworthy! Kudos Hyundai!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 17th September 2013 at 21:41.
Old 17th September 2013, 21:58   #94
Senior - BHPian

Looks like another winner for hyundai. Pity they decided to do away with the auto lock feature on their cars as it is so useful especially after being used to it in my other car. Miss it so much on the i20 as well
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 22:46   #95
BHPian

@ GTO : Did you get a chance to talk to someone from Hyundai and ask them the reason for omitting DTE and instantaneous FE indicator on their cars ? I think this is one feature that has been missing time and again
Old 17th September 2013, 22:51   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Diesel engine video here (credit to Jkdas)
Wow, this what I just wanted to know. The clatter for the other 3 pots (Beat and Polo) were the deciding factors against it. Even the 4 pot Micra, which I bought eventually does have enough clatter, but the 3 pots felt plane tractor-ish. Does this 1.1 feel the same? If you come across, please do share videos of the initial cranking and the engine NVH inside. Thanks.
Old 18th September 2013, 10:31   #97
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Edit: Somehow i feel that they should have named this car something else. Not sure why they have i10 in it. Lots of people will get confused for sure.
they could have called it the i15 - product is between the i10 & i20, the name would have justified the product - pure and simple. Wonder why...
Old 18th September 2013, 13:19   #98
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
they could have called it the i15 - product is between the i10 & i20, the name would have justified the product - pure and simple. Wonder why...
The i10 brand has tremendous equity in India, due to the success of the 1st-gen. Now, the 1st-gen car isn't going to be on sale forever. In a couple of years, I assume that the Grand i10 will be the only i10 on sale.

Plus, end of the day, this is the new i10 globally.
Old 18th September 2013, 13:48   #99
Senior - BHPian

5 * rating for the review. I saw a test drive car in flesh, in orange on the road and it definitely looks good. I think Hyundai has got most of the things in order for this car and it will sell in good numbers. Were there any Era, Magna variants for the test drive? I would like to look at these variants too and if they offer the same quality of interiors/exteriors. Overall a good car which will tick the right boxes for ~90% of the public.
W.A.G.7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 15:27   #100
BHPian

Excellent review as usual, the i10 grand customer cannot ask for more for the list of features hyundai has packed very intelligently in this avatar.

Nit pickers will have a hard time. Hats off to Hyundai's beautiful design and engineering for creating a kind of new leader in this segment.

GTO, not sure if i have not overlooked, could you please confirm us if the diesel drive train is the version derived from that of i20 CRDi unit (Like Chevy Beat TCDI derived from the 1.3L GM-FIAT Diesel) or was designed from clean slate, given its displacement and engine material used are same (cast iron block/aluminum head).

Any reason why the Grande Punto was not considered for in the competition ?

Last edited by sriramr9 : 18th September 2013 at 15:36.
sriramr9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 15:59   #101
BHPian

Grand review!
The standard of review text is now so high it is difficult to improve on it, I guess. It is pretty much like a template - you know which feature to find in which para!
But the pictures are improving by every review. Outstanding and absolutely professional.
SKavuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 19:01   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Looks like some fantastic noise insulation they have done on i10Grand. I was amazed by the sound absorption once the bonnet was closed
Wonder why the VW and Renault / Nissan dCi are so noisy and make a clatter like the 2002 Indica (from the outside even with closed bonnet)?

I have noticed my ARIA to be quieter than the Duster, Scala, Vento (all three cars in my parking area at residence, doing a daily comparison).

How can it be due to superior bonnet insulation ? That would account from the inside of the cabin, not standing outside, where the engine bay is exposed underneath and from the front for noise.

Can someone explain this pl ?
Old 18th September 2013, 23:02   #103
P76
BHPian

A very comprehensive review of a very good car. Congrats Hyundai for the Grand i10 and congrats GTO for the review !. The car ticks all boxes and goes to prove Hyundai's efforts to satisfy customer aspirations. Nice to see the Rear Aircon vents, Auto folding ORVMs, Steering mounted controls, all features we are used to seeing only in 10 lakh plus cars (some cars like the Duster costing upwards of 14 lakhs do not have them even as option).
Way to go HYUNDAI !
P76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 11:06   #104
Senior - BHPian

Crisp, clear-cut and to the point, a trademark GTO review. Rated 5 star.

My 2010 i10 recently developed the some right side suspension noise which i10s are notorious for, even though it's supposed to be the updated suspension. Need to get it checked... Hope such issues don't crop with the Grand. A great city run around car. Never went to the Marutis after the Hyundais came in. This car is replete with the quality expected from them.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 11:22   #105
BHPian

Top Review. The price difference(ex-showroom) between the Era variants of the Grand i10 & the i20 is a INR 40000. The two do not stand very far apart when it comes to the in-car features they have to offer.Yes, the latter is a much more premium product.For someone who will have primarily be commuting within the city, it will not make sense to go for a more powerful car(read the i20). A prospective i20 buyer might consider picking the Grand instead. Why did Hyundai place the Grand in a manner that it might end up cannibalizing the sales of its more premium sibling? Are the margins in the premium segment less compared to what they get with the entry level hatchbacks?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks