Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2019, 11:01   #1336
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnnbagal View Post

Dislikes: 1) Steering response or feel of it while driving, it's too much light.
My steering is extremely heavy at low speeds, and suddenly becomes extremely light if I rev over 3000RPM, in 2nd or higher gear. It becomes very difficult to drive.

Am I the only one facing this issue then? I guess some other people faced a similar issue, and was decided to be a ECU related program, which no body can do anything about.
Old 7th March 2019, 12:30   #1337
BHPian

Any grand i10 owner here who is using HIDs etc ? If yes where did you fix the ballast? The engine bay area looks tightly packed so looking for suggestions where to install a small ballast.
Old 10th March 2019, 00:39   #1338

I have a Grand i10 1.2 Asta AT bought in April 2014. Unlike the Asta(O) model available in manual, there was no Asta(O) in AT, which meant that I could not have the following 3 features (at additional cost of Rs 30-35k):

1. ABS
2. front 2 airbags
3. diamond-cut alloy wheels

I bought that car from Himgiri Hyundai in Gurugram. I could manage to get my regular alloys replaced with diamond cut alloys right at the purchase, based on an understanding with the dealer, but that cost me Rs 18,000 (the dealer waived off the Rs 18,000 discount offered to me previously in exchange for the diamond cut alloys, which in hindsight was a costly deal, given that both regular alloys and diamond cut alloys roughly cost the same).

But then, came this mid-life revision to Grand i10, and more features were stripped off of the AT version. In fact, there wasn't available an Asta variant in AT any more, which meant the push start-stop button, the boot light, and some other features were gone.

And what is further disappointing is that Hyundai is not bringing in the next generation Grand i10 (slated for launch later in 2019) with a torque converter any more. The new Grand i10 would instead have an AMT in the interest of low costing.

Personally for me, cars with torque converters or DCTs (dual clutch transmissions) are the only true ATs. Cars with AMTs or even CVTs are not for me. And therefore, it is a sad state of affairs in India that only a countable number of cars below Rs 10 lakh come with true ATs (Ford Aspire AT, Ford EcoSport, the current Grand i10), and those are all in petrol. None comes in diesel. The Grand i10 would soon be out of that list. And with Ford aligning with Mahindra once again to jointly make vehicles especially below Rs 10 lakh, I don't see Ford Aspire/EcoSport to remain available with AT options for much longer.

The only respite might be coming in the shape of Hyundai Styx (QXi), whose 1.0-litre 3-cyl. turbo-petrol engine (172 Nm of torque and 100 bhp top power) is likely going to be mated to a high-tech DCT. Although its price would cross the Rs 10 lakh mark. That aside, I don't know for how long have we Indians to make do with the AMTs/CVTs.
Old 13th March 2019, 21:11   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
My steering is extremely heavy at low speeds, and suddenly becomes extremely light if I rev over 3000RPM, in 2nd or higher gear. It becomes very difficult to drive.

Am I the only one facing this issue then? I guess some other people faced a similar issue, and was decided to be a ECU related program, which no body can do anything about.
Are you saying if you're doing 60 in second the steering is light, but in fifth, the steering is heavy?

The problem I've always had is that the steering "falls to one side" at low speeds once in a while.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 17:03   #1340
BHPian

A great city zipper! Its interiors make my Swift's interiors feel like a Mahindra of yore It has all the kit you would require. But Hyundai still insists on committing hara-kiri by not offering the AT in the top-spec! Way to go Hyundai! But it makes for a fantastic buy (after discounts) compared to the Santro.
Old 21st March 2019, 11:36   #1341
Distinguished - BHPian

My buddy's Grand i10's CR-2032 cell inside his key-fob had expired. With a dead key, the car wouldn't even start! His is an Asta version, with a start-stop button. Physically inserting the key didn't help.

I tried searching in the forum and did find other owners saying the same thing in their ownership reports. Upon searching, I've learnt that there is a sensor in the key and there's one inside the car; the two have to be able to communicate, or else - it's futile. In this case, the sensor in his key had no power to emit a signal, with a drained cell.

It is disconcerting to have your car, your very safety and well-being (if the cell conks out at a desolate place) controlled by a small cell that costs 40 bucks.

Edit: Never mind, my buddy just pointed out to a workaround posted here on the forum. It seems if your key-fob is hamstrung by a weak/drained battery, you need to press the Start/Stop button with the key-fob.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post3705066 (Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2)

Last edited by locusjag : 21st March 2019 at 11:42. Reason: Added edit
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 11:47   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
My buddy's Grand i10's CR-2032 cell inside his key-fob had expired. With a dead key, the car wouldn't even start! His is an Asta version, with a start-stop button. Physically inserting the key didn't help.

I tried searching in the forum and did find other owners saying the same thing in their ownership reports. Upon searching, I've learnt that there is a sensor in the key and there's one inside the car; the two have to be able to communicate, or else - it's futile. In this case, the sensor in his key had no power to emit a signal, with a drained cell.

It is disconcerting to have your car, your very safety and well-being (if the cell conks out at a desolate place) controlled by a small cell that costs 40 bucks.

Edit: Never mind, my buddy just pointed out to a workaround posted here on the forum. It seems if your key-fob is hamstrung by a weak/drained battery, you need to press the Start/Stop button with the key-fob.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post3705066 (Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2)
Yes I just found the answer to your question in the car manual. I personally have not experienced such a situation. Whenever there were warning signs of the key having a weak battery like the car not unlocking with one or two presses of the buttons on it I got it changed. This was about 3 and half years after purchase of the car. Now my spare key is also showing signs of weak battery. I need to change that too.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-screenshot_20190321114149.png  

Last edited by fazonater1911 : 21st March 2019 at 11:48. Reason: Grammatical error
fazonater1911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 11:51   #1343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
This was about 3 and half years after purchase of the car. Now my spare key is also showing signs of weak battery. I need to change that too.
3 - 3.5 years is the rough age of my friend's Grand i10 as well. That seems to be the extent of life one can expect of the Panasonic CR-2032 cell. I bought him the same cell though, since it seems to be the best among all the available brands. Other cheaper cells are available, but considering that Hyundai themselves provide the Panasonic from the factory, that's what replaced the older one.
Old 21st March 2019, 12:12   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
That seems to be the extent of life one can expect of the Panasonic CR-2032 cell.
I always keep a set of cells in my car for emergencies. Its basically a DIY procedure where you will need to open the keyfob and insert the battery.
I had purchased the CR-2032 from Amazon.
The link
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00LVMTA2A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_NfZKCbECFXNXG
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 18:30   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the grand i10 AT today. The TC box felt way smoother than the AMT on NEXON that I test drove yesterday. The SA informed about discount in range of 1L bringing the OTR to 7.8L (Bangalore). I know a facelift is on its way later this year but mostly the TC box won't be present anymore. I have been checking cars from 8-12L since last month and this looks tempting.

A couple of things which I didn't like or am apprehensive about:

1. Missing adjustable headrests both at front and rear.
2. No ACC, although I am happy to see the rear AC vent present.
3. No rear wash-wiper.
4. The AT mileage seems to be in range of 8-9kmpl

Can some Bangalore owners throw some light on these aspects? I would be using this for Outer ring road commute. Is it a good buy at this price point?

Thanks in advance
Old 24th March 2019, 20:24   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

3. No rear wash-wiper.
In addition to the above points I found a few more.
1. Low GC of 165mm with OEM tyres. It may not be enough for all speed humps around the city and pot holes.
2. In MT I found the gear stick position a bit oddly placed. Could be my own opinion and could be true for AT too.
3. Lower back support of seats is really bad. The seats are soft and no real support there. You will feel the issue on a little longer drives.
4. I expect FE to be 12 to 13. My Santro xing gives me 13 to 14 in city. When you upgrade to upper segment 1 to 2 km reduction could be expected. No idea about AT.

The car is good and given the discounts it should be a worthy buy. I will buy it only for the quality, reliability and after sales service support.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 24th March 2019 at 20:29.
Old 24th March 2019, 20:34   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Are you saying if you're doing 60 in second the steering is light, but in fifth, the steering is heavy?

The problem I've always had is that the steering "falls to one side" at low speeds once in a while.
+1 to your problem too.

Yes. If I'm reaching 60+ in 2nd, with revs over 3K, the steering suddenly turns light and fluidic, as it should be in lower speeds.
Old 25th March 2019, 08:33   #1348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

3. No rear wash-wiper.
1. Yes, it's a concern but in a way it's comfortable. You don't realize that after sometime. Agree with your about the rear. They should have added.
2. Rear ACC is a good feature but mind you, the AC isn't great in summer. We have our AC running at 3rd/4th position now.
3. Instead of the defogger, I wish they have added the rear wiper.
4. Gi10 mileage is notorious. Even our manual isn't very efficient.

But having said that, I would never pick the current AMT's available (drove few and absolutely hated it).
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 09:23   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
2. Rear ACC is a good feature but mind you, the AC isn't great in summer. We have our AC running at 3rd/4th position now.
Thats disturbing as one of the issues with my current car(Estilo) is weak AC. If the G i10 AC is not strong enough, that would be sad.

Quote:
4. Gi10 mileage is notorious. Even our manual isn't very efficient.
Yeah hyundai 1.2L petrol has been pretty bad at efficiency right from erstwhile i10 days. I was hoping after all this time(almost a decade) they would have improved a bit. Atleast 10+ would have been acceptable considering the class, but looks like that's not the case. Maybe some AT owners from Bangalore can throw some light here?
Quote:
But having said that, I would never pick the current AMT's available (drove few and absolutely hated it).
As of now I have driven only Nexon AMT and the headnod was indeed a little unsettling. The reason I was tempted towards Grand i10 is the terrific discount(1Lakh) , smooth TC box(althought 4 gears felt 1 gear short), decent build & city ride quality. Compared to Estilo this seems OK, but am not sure how long can I live with the shortcomings in this day and age.

Guess will try out the Figo automatic as well, but then that's another guzzler and is almost 10L OTR bangalore

Last edited by SoumenD : 25th March 2019 at 09:36.
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:56   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
-My car makes a weird ceaking sound when I turn the steering below speeds of 20. ( U turns/ parking ). I never turn on a standstill. What could it be?
?

Got it checked at Hyundai. While they accepted the noise isn't normal, they had little idea what it could be. This is after they thought greasing the suspension/ chassis bits would work.
They're really incompetent at diagnosing anything slightly out of normal. The clock spring was taken out and cleaned of "dust" and put back. The sound was little less than before, but still there. I was told it "could be" the clock spring, but I declined having it replaced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks