Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2014, 16:33   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
it's possible in this varient or the exception is only for i20?

This may or may not be true unless we look at power and torque curve of both the cars on same scale graph.

Yes, better overall, not necessarily at low end torque. Ask any informed Civic owner about low end torque despite 1.8L 130bhp engine. Also 114 vs 96nm is torque, not weight.
Statement 1: It comes as factory equipped only in i20 Asta O variant.

Statement 2: Yes it depends on state of engine tune, Santro has better low end torque but very poor overall power (fine for a 1.1 otherwise). Its also well known that all petrol versions of Grand i10, i20, and Eon have weak low end torque not applicable to enthusiasts.

Statement 3: Yes I'm well aware that there are various stages of torque but I felt I needn't go much in detail as I'm basically, talking of a city car. If I'm describing an enthusiasts car like a BMW maybe I'd stress more into torque curves at various rpm, weight distribution, suspension setups etc as everything is a factor in how a car moves. Also when I wrote the 96 vs 114nm I was referring to the "better torque across all ranges even with the added weight" statement with the emphasis on torque in Newton meters and not on weight.

Its just various personal views in the end and because I've driven cars all the way from a Maruti 800 which I learnt in, to sampling cars like BMW 1 & 3 Series, I learnt to look at each car for what it is worth.. none will have all virtues. Torque is relative to what you are used to (some may say a Cruze is slow). In the end driving pleasure depends on steering feedback, weight distribution, low body roll, high aerodynamics (even hydrodynamics), size of tyres, type of wheels etc.
Old 1st February 2014, 17:59   #362
Senior - BHPian

What does it take to get a basic courtesy reply from Hyundai India? Had shot a mail to all concerned there, regarding possibility of a tyre upgrade and there is zero response. Zilch.
Just one auto reply. Already regretting moving to the Hyundai camp from Maruti which had pampered me silly.
Old 5th February 2014, 17:26   #363
BHPian

Hi Friends ,

My Orange Asta AT has arrived and I am loving it. This is my first AT buy. The design of the car , exterior as well as interior is just superb. It's a head turner and many people around loved the colour very much. The general space in front as well as at the back is decent. Earlier I have been driving manual Fords ( Ikon & Fiesta ) since last 10 years and hence obviously I did not like i10's steering feel (or should I say no feel ). It's too boring and non communicating. But the car is 100 % convenient/easy to drive. I have driven it only for some 50 kms till now and hence I am sure to explore much more soon. First Impression is certainly good (only if I manage to leave the steering feel aside for a minute).
I shall keep you all posted.

regards
Amol
amolathalye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 14:40   #364

Hi All,

This is my first post on the forum. I got my WR Grand i10 a couple weeks back from Blue Hyundai.

I would like to elucidate my buying experience with them.
1. The ambience was good and the SR was a soft spoken man.
2. The finance team was very helpful as well, unlike the Fiat Caffe finance guys, who are very arrogant.
3. The PDI didn't go very smoothly. They had parked the car in the basement of their warehouse. The car had run out of fuel. They could not even get it out under the sun.
4. On the day of delivery, I found out the car's wheel alignment had gone for a toss. I immediately called the SR and he arranged for the alignment correction the next day.
5. I again took the car to their Mysore Road ASS. The staff seemed so disinterested in aligning my wheels. They made me wait for about 2hrs before they even took the car for alignment. Another hour to get the gatepass and deliver the car.

I was a regular at Suraksha, Bommanahalli. On the contrary to what many people say, Maruti has better service than Hyundai.

Overall, I would rate the experience as 8/10 which in Hyundai's scale is Poor.

PS: They still need to reimburse about 1K as I had paid excess DP. Two weeks have passed, no word about it yet.
Serpentor11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 14:10   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentor11 View Post
3. The PDI didn't go very smoothly. They had parked the car in the basement of their warehouse. The car had run out of fuel. They could not even get it out under the sun.
4. On the day of delivery, I found out the car's wheel alignment had gone for a toss. I immediately called the SR and he arranged for the alignment correction the next day.
5. I again took the car to their Mysore Road ASS. The staff seemed so disinterested in aligning my wheels. They made me wait for about 2hrs before they even took the car for alignment. Another hour to get the gatepass and deliver the car.

Overall, I would rate the experience as 8/10 which in Hyundai's scale is Poor.

PS: They still need to reimburse about 1K as I had paid excess DP. Two weeks have passed, no word about it yet.
Blue Hyundai is very bad when it comes to customer service. Even I bought our i20 from them. They had just opened shop and buying experience was OK. After a few months things started to go down hill very fast. Search for blue Hyundai on the dealership thread. You will get a complete picture.

I would strongly suggest that you get what ever dues you have from them ASAP and go for another HASS. Otherwise you will end up with a lot of frustration every time you visit them. They are not good.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 12:04   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I would strongly suggest that you get what ever dues you have from them ASAP and go for another HASS. Otherwise you will end up with a lot of frustration every time you visit them. They are not good.
They SR is very reluctant to even speak about the refund. I told him that I did not want to call him that many times just for 1K. He promised he'll get it done within 2 days.

One thing that surprised me was that they didn't even call me asking for feedback about the car or the buying process after I bought it. I think Advaith Hyundai is much better in dealing with customer feedback.
Old 9th February 2014, 14:09   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentor11 View Post
They SR is very reluctant to even speak about the refund. I told him that I did not want to call him that many times just for 1K. He promised he'll get it done within 2 days.

One thing that surprised me was that they didn't even call me asking for feedback about the car or the buying process after I bought it. I think Advaith Hyundai is much better in dealing with customer feedback.
Yes. They don't know what customer care is. You have to do all the follow ups. They don't give two hoots about your time. They are just pathetic.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 9th February 2014 at 14:10.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 22:12   #368
Senior - BHPian

TD Grand I10 diesel as it emerged as a very strong competitor. Almost ready to book the same.

1) Very good sound insulation. Required after a day's work and helps a lot to reduce driving stress IMO.

2) Rear ride quality is a bit bumpy.

3) Space is nice, including boot space.

4) Very less engine noise enters cabin.

5) Driveability is better in Liva.

6) Vibrations are present at low rpm.

Nice city drive and my main intention/requirement is fulfilled. An occasional highway drive does not need huge horsepower. Swift/Ritz rejected due to sudden acceleration as it not required in city and it can be rather unsafe also in dense traffic.
Liva loses out due to central meter, else almost booked it.
Old 13th February 2014, 03:01   #369
BHPian

TD'd the Grand i10 Diesel Asta(O) twice in the last three days. First TD was from Advaith Hyundai, Residency road, Bangalore and second time from Trident Hyundai near Mekhri Circle. THe SAs from both the dealership were really helpful. The technical knowledge and other minute details that both of them had explained to me quite impressed me. Please PM me if any BHPians want contact Details of these SAs. The Advaith people even gave me a handout showing the differences between Gi10 and the swift and even an explanation on why to buy a Gi10 over the swift

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-wp_000443.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-wp_000445.jpg

There is no 60-40 split rear seats as mentioned in the handout is not true and when i asked about it to the SA he told they printed it as a mistake.

Coming to the impressions of the car:

1)Lowest NVH in the segment IMHO
2)Smooth Gear Shifts and ride quality was fine
3)Easy driveability in the city with absolutely no turbo lag or turbo kick
4)Loaded with features like rear a/c vents, BT connectivity, cooled glovebox etc
5)The finish of the interiors especially the dashboard and seats are good
6)Rear legroom and bootspace is much more than in the swift
7)The steering is not too light nor heavy. Perfect for city driving but i guess it might get nervous on highway runs (though i couldnt take it for a highway ride)
8)The steering controls are really useful and ergonomically placed IMO

I couldn't test drive the vehicle in open roads so I don't really know much about the lack of the top-end punch which is mentioned in the review.

The guys at the showrooms mentioned that the service intervals is 10k kms or once in a year after the first and second sevice which is pretty awesome. He also told me the service costs might come upto Rs 5000 and odd. Is it true? Will it be more than that?

The Bangalore OTR they quoted was Rs 8,12,076 at Advaith and Rs 8,14,919 at trident with 3 years or unlimited Km warranty.

My overall impressions about the car is good as looking at a grand i 10 gives you a fresh feel as other cars in the segment have been in the market for sometime. Its attractive price with all the features (compared to the SWIFT Gi10 is about Rs 60k lesser) makes me all confused bewteen the Swift and Gi10.

I guess its a heart or mind decision that i gotta make.

Heart= SWIFT=Fun to drive but a tad more expensive
Mind=GRAND i 10= Features+comfort+a bit cheaper
fazonater1911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 07:19   #370
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
I guess its a heart or mind decision that i gotta make. Heart= SWIFT=Fun to drive but a tad more expensive Mind=GRAND i 10= Features+comfort+a bit cheaper
Let your heart prevail, swift is a different beasts altogether if you are looking for driving fun.
abhjain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 09:42   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Let your heart prevail, swift is a different beasts altogether if you are looking for driving fun.
You are right abhijain, I totally agree with you. But the extra comfort features, the fresh look and that too at a lesser price is what is attracting me to the Grand. Initially, before I test drove the Grand, it was a sure shot in my mind that i will get a Swift because its driving dynamics and handling is unmatched to the other cars in the same segment which makes it a totally fun to drive vehicle. But after the test drive of the Grand, the sheer comfort levels and smooth driving made me rethink.

Anyways let me give some more time and by that time hopefully I will have a clear mind and take the right decision.
Old 13th February 2014, 10:20   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
The Advaith people even gave me a handout showing the differences between Gi10 and the swift and even an explanation on why to buy a Gi10 over the swift
The Swift ZDI/ZXI has integrated audio with 6 speakers (no BT), Climate control, 185 profile tyres with 15" alloys, ABS and Airbags (which are optional in Gi10 IIRC). However, the Grand scores over all other factors..

Also check out whether it can be push-button started without depressing the clutch. Without a clutch lock, this feature is outright dangerous if you have small kids.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 13th February 2014 at 10:25.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 11:57   #373

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Also check out whether it can be push-button started without depressing the clutch. Without a clutch lock, this feature is outright dangerous if you have small kids.
No, the ignition cannot be turned on without depressing the clutch. Pressing the start button without depressing the clutch will just turn the console on.
Old 13th February 2014, 23:10   #374
Senior - BHPian

Finally, booked Grand i10 Diesel Magna, silver color.
Reason : I wanted a small car which is good in city where it will be used primarily and it has to be good enough for occasional highway runs. Moderate cruising speed of 100 are enough.
We were sold onto Liva GD as it has ABS but the NVH of grand i10 diesel was amazing. Linear acceleration of grand coupled with less width and presumed more FE changed our mind.
In Liva, I felt the horn was in the cabin, but in Grand, it was very well insulated.
Boot space is also nice.
Swift lacks space and a few features, but here Hyundai and MSIL are on same track. Ritz resale and fear/experience of buying low selling car ( Baleno ) made us avoid Ritz. Also, Ritz power delivery is not linear.

Swift/Ritz : You waste a lot of power when you try to accelerate fast and then sudden surge and you end up in traffic again, so slow down. I felt it was waste of fuel, the car and more importantly, my energy. I hardly am able to keep 4th gear in city driving for 30 seconds. Mostly, I am either in 3rd or 2nd. Having more power does not help and is an absolute waste in case of non linear power delivery.

Simply put, Liva/Grand/Figo are nice family cars also, Swift is a fantastic car if you are mostly going to drive single. Great stability, ride, the surge of power ( which is actually very good for highway ) are all nice if you dont plan to haul family a lot.

To each his own. Lets see how Hyundai after sales and service experience holds up against fantastic Maruti experience I had till date.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 10:12   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

No the car cannot be started without depressing the clutch. On pressing the button without depressing the clutch only the battery gets switched on and you can switch on the Music system. On pressing it second time the AC can be switched on. However the car can be started only after depressing the clutch regardless of how many times you have pressed it.

On a lighter note, I am still a bachelor Sandeep. No kids as of yet.

Most Viewed