Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2015, 07:46   #1591
BHPian

Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Today the LED light complete set arrived at the dealer and we tried it on my car. Works as expected but with an error on the mfd and we need to adapt it. But neither the dealer nor me have any clue as to how to do that. Can someone help me with a link anywhere on how to code and adapt led tail lights for the Octavia? Dealer has left it open to me and told me he will do whatever i ask but i must have step by step instruction.

The OE LED tail lamps don't come with any resistor setup. (Resistors are for fooling the electronic module and avoid detection of bulb failure when you add aftermarket LED lamps to a setup not designed to adapt to LED lamps, but LED lamps are actually for more efficient lighting and hence an OE LED lamp with resistor does not make any sense.)You need to adapt it by coding CECM so that it doesn't throw a bulb failure alarm by recognising your tail lamps as LEDs. In the CECM module, there will be an option to select LED light module installed or something in those lines. If I had my car & VCDS with me, could have shared the exact wording, but right now I am away.

Your dealer must be coding using ODIS. Even in ODIS, it is pretty simple to do adapting. In fact, it is easier than even VCDS. Just select BCM/CECM module and go through the available options on screen. It is not very complicated. I had used ODIS from Skoda showroom to check if my retrofitted xenons were correctly coded (as it was done using VCDS earlier) and found that ODIS is more informative, upto date and a complete tool as compared to VCDS. It is not tougher than navigating a computer or a smart phone. Just get hold of their best technician and he would be able to find it if he spends a little time searching for options in that module. Your logical assistance might be required though, as I have seen them being lost if they are asked anything slightly outside their normal servicing routine. It is a 2 min job for guys who play around with coding.

I really wish I could guide you with the exact steps. But I'll be doing the same job for Yeti only next month as I'll be back then only. Or we have our BHPian Gannu to always provide links to sites with retrofitting and coding info. But I think Gannu once mentioned that it comes with built in resistors and do not need coding. Gannu, that sounds a little strange. LEDs are more efficient because they draw less current than filament bulbs, yet provide good lighting and are quicker and long lasting. An OE LED lamp with resistor would be a dumb design as it will still draw the same current as a filament bulb and waste it as heat, and what for? Just to avoid a warning lamp!). I don't think a German machine (or even any other well designed machine) would be engineered that stupid. CECM (depending on the version) has option for adapting LEDs and filament bulbs so that it can measure the current drawn respectively for detecting bulb failure. That is the concept.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 2nd April 2015 at 07:56.
Old 2nd April 2015, 08:40   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post

Your dealer must be coding using ODIS. Even in ODIS, it is pretty simple to do adapting..
Yes they use ODIS. But we searched the CEC module, under the guided options section, but there was no place to input the LED light instead of halogen. There is an option to write the code manually but not like the long binary in VCDS which will give you a detailed info about that particular character below and a drop down list to change settings. Dealer technician admitted that Skoda has not given them full authorized access like it was when they used VCDS. I will tinker with my VCDS today and see if there is an option in long coding.
Old 2nd April 2015, 08:58   #1593
BHPian

Quote:
I will tinker with my VCDS today and see if there is an option in long coding.

Yes, that is all you need to do. Patiently go through each option in the long coding helper of CECM. One of the options has to be for selecting LED lights. It could be separate option for license plate lights and tail lamps. Just go through all the options page by page in long coding helper of CECM. It has to be there.
Old 2nd April 2015, 09:24   #1594
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Dear bhpians, Need your opinion on 3M paint protection film.

1. Is it worth installing the 3M paint protection film? Are there better alternatives out there? What are the advantages?

2. I hear that the film might yellow out in the long run. Is this true? Would you recommend doing it on a race blue car?

3. If I can do it, should it be done asap? Can it wait a week and a 500km trip?

4. The dealer said they did a teflon on the car on the day of delivery. I suspect its just a polish of some kind and not teflon. Will this affect the 3M paint protection in any way if I choose to go with it?

Please advise! Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd April 2015, 09:59   #1595
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes they use ODIS. But we searched the CEC module, under the guided options section, but there was no place to input the LED light instead of halogen. There is an option to write the code manually but not like the long binary in VCDS which will give you a detailed info about that particular character below and a drop down list to change settings. Dealer technician admitted that Skoda has not given them full authorized access like it was when they used VCDS. I will tinker with my VCDS today and see if there is an option in long coding.
Check the comments on this link - https://www.drive2.ru/l/4482351/

Translate to English and see if it helps. These are where LED shows up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Translate
(1) -Leuchte20BR LA71 load type 20:34 - LED brake lights

(1) -Leuchte21BR RC8 load type 21:34 - LED brake lights

(1) -Leuchte22BR MA57 load type 22:34 - LED brake lights

(1) -Leuchte23SL HLC10 load type 23:32 - General 12W LED up

(1) -Leuchte24SL HRA65 load type 24.32 - General 12W LED up

(1) -Leuchte25KZL HA59-load type 25.43 - General LED
Keep searching online for more leads.

Quote:
Gannu, that sounds a little strange. LEDs are more efficient because they draw less current than filament bulbs, yet provide good lighting and are quicker and long lasting. An OE LED lamp with resistor would be a dumb design as it will still draw the same current as a filament bulb and waste it as heat, and what for? Just to avoid a warning lamp!).
Yep, I stand corrected. Apologies for that.

I was of the impression that the LED lights on the new Octy was similar to that of the previous ones which had a PCB and the resistors inside the cluster to negate the bulb-out warning.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-1.png

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 3386
Size:  646.8 KB

Looks like this is a case of a coding issue. Just need to figure out where to input those values.
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:23   #1596

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
Dear bhpians, Need your opinion on 3M paint protection film.

1. Is it worth installing the 3M paint protection film? Are there better alternatives out there? What are the advantages?

2. I hear that the film might yellow out in the long run. Is this true? Would you recommend doing it on a race blue car?

3. If I can do it, should it be done asap? Can it wait a week and a 500km trip?

4. The dealer said they did a teflon on the car on the day of delivery. I suspect its just a polish of some kind and not teflon. Will this affect the 3M paint protection in any way if I choose to go with it?

Please advise! Thanks in advance.
I think installing 3M paint protection film is a good idea - creates a thin barrier to protect from small nicks and scratches - my car was brushed last week on the back bumper and the film got scratched but not the paint.

Since you have a race blue car, you need not worry about the film yellowing - its an issue with white cars - I have C.Beige so no worries there too.

I had the 4 corners of the bumpers, rear view mirrors and the door edges done - its barely visible. You should ask them to do one door edge and show you and then go ahead.

I too had the car polished by 3M and then they immediately put the film so I don't think the teflon will affect the PPF.

There is no harm in waiting for a week to put the PPF - earlier done the better to protect against scratches!
amarjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:39   #1597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yep, I stand corrected. Apologies for that.

I was of the impression that the LED lights on the new Octy was similar to that of the previous ones which had a PCB and the resistors inside the cluster to negate the bulb-out warning.

Looks like this is a case of a coding issue. Just need to figure out where to input those values.
Any idea if the LED tail lamps of Octavia II you posted came as OE in Chinese market? I know guys who got these from China as an aftermarket accessory (not OE) and retrofitted it on their Indian Octavia II (Laura) back in 2010~2011 without any coding because they were aftermarket ones which came with resistors.

I think Chinese market had LED tail lamps of even Superb II which never made it to India or AFAIK even EU. But I am not sure whether it was OE or aftermarket accessory.
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:02   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarjain View Post
I think installing 3M paint protection film is a good idea - creates a thin barrier to protect from small nicks and scratches - my car was brushed last week on the back bumper and the film got scratched but not the paint.

Since you have a race blue car, you need not worry about the film yellowing - its an issue with white cars - I have C.Beige so no worries there too.

I had the 4 corners of the bumpers, rear view mirrors and the door edges done - its barely visible. You should ask them to do one door edge and show you and then go ahead.

I too had the car polished by 3M and then they immediately put the film so I don't think the teflon will affect the PPF.

There is no harm in waiting for a week to put the PPF - earlier done the better to protect against scratches!
Thanks for the detailed response amarjain. I will get this done next week when I am back. How much did it cost you and how long did it take?
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:18   #1599
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any idea if the LED tail lamps of Octavia II you posted came as OE in Chinese market?
Going by the packaging indicated in this Aliexpress link, it appears to be OEM. Part number says 1ZD945096A and 1ZD945095A.

Shanghai VW may have offered it as an OEM accessory.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:36   #1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
Thanks for the detailed response amarjain. I will get this done next week when I am back. How much did it cost you and how long did it take?
I had the PPF fixed and also had the car coated with 3M paint sealant and polished - I paid approx. Rs. 13500.00 for both. I think the PPF was about 9k. I don't have access to the invoice currently, so am not able to tell you exactly.

However, this price includes a discount (I think about 15%) as the 3M centre belongs to a friend.
Old 2nd April 2015, 12:26   #1601

Any advice on which fuel to use for my 1.8TSI? Regular, Speed or Speed 97?
Old 2nd April 2015, 21:28   #1602
BHPian

I had asked the same question a while back. Few folks had commented. you can check that out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3661862

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarjain View Post
Any advice on which fuel to use for my 1.8TSI? Regular, Speed or Speed 97?
Haren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 13:13   #1603
BHPian

So folks, my Rio Red 1.8 TSI is ready for delivery... just waiting for my cheque to clear before I pick it up from the dealership (Jai Auto, Mathura Road, Delhi). Quick question: is there a pre-delivery checklist I must adhere to before taking delivery of the car and signing on the dotted line saying I have taken it? Does anyone know of this dealer having any mischief-history?

Want to ensure that I do not face issues that several people in the past have faced - of parts having been replaced in the worksop while the car waits to be picked up.

Any tips would be most helpful.
Old 4th April 2015, 18:23   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
So folks, my Rio Red 1.8 TSI is ready for delivery... just waiting for my cheque to clear before I pick it up from the dealership (Jai Auto, Mathura Road, Delhi). Quick question: is there a pre-delivery checklist I must adhere to before taking delivery of the car and signing on the dotted line saying I have taken it? Does anyone know of this dealer having any mischief-history?

Want to ensure that I do not face issues that several people in the past have faced - of parts having been replaced in the worksop while the car waits to be picked up.

Any tips would be most helpful.
Sweeet. They are an alright group. Better that you check the vehicle thoroughly yourself and Red Rio is an easy color to spot defects on, if any. Nevertheless, you should be ok. Too new a model to have parts being changed from dealerships as no real complaints yet.

Enjoy your new steed.
Old 5th April 2015, 16:05   #1605

Posting a review here of the problems I am facing here with my Octavia in Mumbai. Posting actual correspondence and pictures that give you an Idea of how sh***y the service of skoda is and why they have a shi**y reputation. Post is redacted for privacy

----------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Rao,

This is the second time I am writing to you and before I tell you why I must preface this email by saying that this email is written without prejudice to any legal right or remedy we may have under the law. I am writing this on behalf of the owner of the vehicle MH02DN8165 Skoda Octavia 1.8 Elegance owned by XXXXX, whose interest I represent as her duly authorized representative and husband.

The matter is described here as follows;

1. On 20 March I had written you an email describing certain problems / lacunae with the vehicle. The email id enclosed below for your your perusal.

2. Subsequent to the aforesaid email, I was contacted by Mr. Rupesh Raghavan who proposed himself as the Area Service Manager for Skoda and sought to address the problem.

3. In line with the instruction received from Mr. Rupesh Raghavan, on 23 March 2015 morning I arranged to send the car to Autobahn Skoda - Amar Enterprises Compound , bearing address Business Complex Number 117, Kalemarg, Off LBS Road, Kurla W, Mumbai: 400070. Ms. Ratna Salunkhe from the said dealership provided the addresses via SMS which I have preserved.

4. The car was returned back to me the next day with the assurance that the problems have been taken care of.

5. Today, 05 April, 2015 at about 3:00 PM , I was driving the car and opened the sunroof/moonroof for 5 minutes only to find that it would not close back full. The rear part would not come down and seal the roof as it is supposed to. Plus the rattling noise had come back.

6. I reached home to find the the cloth partition beneath the sunroof/ moonroof had jumped its fitment and was obstructing the closing mechanism.

7. On closer inspection, I have discovered that several sheets of paper have been rolled and stuffed in the fabric around the edges.

8. I took one sheet of paper out and it turned out to be a Skoda Time Sheet.

9. The photos of the same are enclosed for your reference.

I would like to let you know that the standard of service received is unacceptable, not only have your representative(s) and or authorized service center misled me, you have also failed to correct a problem in a new car, cost me multiple visits for nothing and now have created a problem with the sunroof/moonroof. If your claim of excellent engineering is stuffing rolled timesheet to mask problems instead of solving them, then it is my regret that I have become a customer of Skoda .

I would once again request that serious cognizance betaken of my plaint, and a fair and honest attempt be made to solve the problems being faced failing which I will be forced to take action to protect my rights as a consumer.

XXXXX

On Behalf of XXXXX

Enclosed pictures:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 7:30 PM
Subject: From an irritated customer
To: sudhir.rao@skoda-auto.co.in

Dear Mr.Rao,
I have been reading about your customer focus initiative for a bit and I wanted to provide you with some feedback about it. I had the misfortune of purchasing a new Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance in August 2014 for my wife for her birthday.

Its a lovely car except for one issue that 4 visits to the Kandivili W Service Center of Senator Motors have failed to resolve, the doors develop a rattle every month and there is a rattling noise on the left front side. As on date the car has run 3800 KM only. I am tired of sending it to the service station.

Sir, A 22 lakh rupee car cannot rattle every month. This simple fact is lost on your customer service and dealerships. I would be much obliged if you could ask your people to have a look as my birthday gift to the wife actually keeps irritating her.

In the event you need details;

Model: Skoda Octavia1.8 TSI Elegance
CHASIS:XXXXXXXXXXX
City: Mumbai

Owner: xxxxxx
I can be reached at 98202 xxxxx

--
Regards,
redjeck is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks