Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2015, 22:23   #1651
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
So, just trying to get that sense from the Octavia community here - it seems to me, way too many people are experience these on Octavias, and if that's the case, with a heavy heart, a Jetta probably makes more sense, though that means a diesel engine instead of that brilliant TSI.

Now if only they start giving these interiors on Race Blue cars too
I have had the car for 10 days and done just close to 1000 kms and so far thankfully nothing's rattling. Even if something does, I have made up my mind that I can live with that. So far the only rattles reported on this thread are from the sunroof and the rear-view mirror and seem to be mostly from older 2013 cars. The jetta is a good choice if you are sure you won't regret missing out on the 1.8 TSI.

Black interiors on race blue would have been nice and I had the choice to change my booking to zeal edition silver/white but din't want to sacrifice race blue for black interiors. The race blue is pristine and makes me look at my car more often.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20150403_0955142.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20150403_1206382.jpg  

phreakv6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 22:32   #1652
Team-BHP Support

Lovely shade! Congrats.

Do get rid of those bonnet ribbons. Dust tends to accumulate beneath them and keeps rubbing against the clear coat and will leave a patch later on.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 23:17   #1653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Lovely shade! Congrats.

Do get rid of those bonnet ribbons. Dust tends to accumulate beneath them and keeps rubbing against the clear coat and will leave a patch later on.
Thanks. Yes, the ribbons stayed for a couple of days only and even for that I did notice a band of dust having done a highway trip with them on. Got them cleaned carefully and now the hood shines uninterrupted.
Old 11th April 2015, 10:40   #1654

I got my Octavia TSI Zeal delivered few days back as well - it was a very smooth process overall & the car is fantastic to drive! Also, got my extended warranty purchased for Rs 20K.

I'd like to request some quick advice:

1) Paint Protection: I am planning on going for 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection on few vulnerable areas of the car (side mirrors, bumpers, hood etc.) - its expensive but wanted to know if you feel its worth the investment to effectively protect the paint against minor impacts (small stones etc.) I am also planning to go in for 3M's UV protection treatment for new cars. Does either of these have any impact on paint warranty?

2) Sun Film: I am planning to install 3M sun-film (CR 70 which should be fairly transparent) only on the front windscreen (primarily to reduce the amount of heat and UV protection). I am not planning on installing any sun screens on the sides and found this was fairly effective in my current car. Does this have any impact warranty or would I be at risk of being asked to remove this?

3) Fuel: I plan to use Shell Super Unleaded as far as possible - any reasons not to do so?

While the manual talks about it, does the car have features such as Lane Assist in India or is this only in the European model?
Old 11th April 2015, 11:49   #1655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueHP View Post
I got my Octavia TSI Zeal delivered few days back as well - it was a very smooth process overall & the car is fantastic to drive! Also, got my extended warranty purchased for Rs 20K.

1) Paint Protection: I am planning on going for 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection on few vulnerable areas of the car (side mirrors, bumpers, hood etc.) - its expensive but wanted to know if you feel its worth the investment to effectively protect the paint against minor impacts (small stones etc.) I am also planning to go in for 3M's UV protection treatment for new cars. Does either of these have any impact on paint warranty?

3) Fuel: I plan to use Shell Super Unleaded as far as possible - any reasons not to do so?
My friend got his brand new Q3 entire car done in 3M scotchgard, he paid a discounted price of about 80K.

There is an entire thread on why not to use premium fuel.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 11:53   #1656

Quote:

Congratulations!! Do share some pics!

I have had the 3M Paint Protection Film (PPF) put on the door edges, rear view mirrors and 4 corners of the bumpers only. I paid about Rs.11k for it (after some discount as I knew the 3M centre. It has already paid of. Somebody grazed the rear left side of the bumper and the film took the brunt - paint is safe. If not for PPF, the paint would have been grazed. All I have to do now is to change that corner of the bumper. By corners, i mean that they should cover the whole bumper section except the middle part. It is a good idea to do just the corners in separate pieces, as if one side is grazed, then you dont need to change the whole bumper PPF. Normally the middle part does not get scratched easily.

Also, what color is the car - if it is white, the film will show after some time if it yellows. My 3M fellow said it is not advisable on a white car. My car is C. Beige.
amarjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 12:13   #1657

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarjain View Post
Congratulations!! Do share some pics!

I have had the 3M Paint Protection Film (PPF) put on the door edges, rear view mirrors and 4 corners of the bumpers only. I paid about Rs.11k for it (after some discount as I knew the 3M centre. It has already paid of. Somebody grazed the rear left side of the bumper and the film took the brunt - paint is safe. If not for PPF, the paint would have been grazed. All I have to do now is to change that corner of the bumper. By corners, i mean that they should cover the whole bumper section except the middle part. It is a good idea to do just the corners in separate pieces, as if one side is grazed, then you dont need to change the whole bumper PPF. Normally the middle part does not get scratched easily.

Also, what color is the car - if it is white, the film will show after some time if it yellows. My 3M fellow said it is not advisable on a white car. My car is C. Beige.
Thanks! I'll post some pics shortly. My car color is Silver. I'll get the PPF done in the edges - thanks for sharing the benefits! Any advice on the sun film in front glass for UV protection and reducing heat?
Old 11th April 2015, 12:41   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I'll post some pics shortly. My car color is Silver. I'll get the PPF done in the edges - thanks for sharing the benefits! Any advice on the sun film in front glass for UV protection and reducing heat?
Go for PPF on bumpers, door sills and rear-view mirrors and probably bottom part of the doors. I am contemplating CR70 sunfilm as well for the whole car. I was given a quote of 25k for windshield, 4 sides and rear. The windshield was 8500/- in that. Do let me know the quote you get.
phreakv6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 13:02   #1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
Go for PPF on bumpers, door sills and rear-view mirrors and probably bottom part of the doors. I am contemplating CR70 sunfilm as well for the whole car. I was given a quote of 25k for windshield, 4 sides and rear. The windshield was 8500/- in that. Do let me know the quote you get.
Thank you! I'll let you know how much it works out to. Plan to get the PPF and sun film (just wasn't sure if this was needed or not for UV/heat reduction) done tomorrow.
Old 11th April 2015, 13:32   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! I'll let you know how much it works out to. Plan to get the PPF and sun film (just wasn't sure if this was needed or not for UV/heat reduction) done tomorrow.
Having done a couple of highway trips at all times of the day, I can vouch for the necessity of sunfilm on this car. Searing heat on the top of the steering and dash midday and sides of the face and neck during evenings and mornings. Its ghastly. In fact I even enquired for sunfilm for the sunroof (and was told it was not possible)

I evaluated huper optik and got a quote of 15k from the dealer for klar70st on windshield and CR50 for sides and rear but saw that the ceramic film klar 70st for windshield would only cut 36% heat. CR70 is by far the best cost-effective solution if heat reduction is the priority. CR70 for windshied and RE-70 for rear and sides would cost 14-15k but CR70 all around will cost 25k. Having been burnt once (literally), I am considering CR70 all around.

As for safety with cops, I have had CR70 on my other car for 4 years on the windshield and haven't had issues. I hope it stays the same. These things depend purely on luck.

Last edited by phreakv6 : 11th April 2015 at 13:34.
phreakv6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 14:59   #1661
BHPian

Quote:
I have had the car for 10 days and done just close to 1000 kms and so far thankfully nothing's rattling. Even if something does, I have made up my mind that I can live with that. So far the only rattles reported on this thread are from the sunroof and the rear-view mirror and seem to be mostly from older 2013 cars. The jetta is a good choice if you are sure you won't regret missing out on the 1.8 TSI.
That race blue is to die for! Congratulations on your car.

Your update on rattles is comforting. And you're right, it all comes down to whether I'll regret missing out on the TSI - and I suspect, I would. On the other hand, with two Ventos in the family (including mine) I'm very happy with VW service, but Skoda continues to NOT instill confidence in its service. Plus, while the Octavia is plusher, Jetta does seem better put together. Decisions, decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
Here you go. The TSI logo is an after thought I had to personalize my car. So stuck those on either side.

The Flash resulted in a slight blue tone in one of the pics. Be rest assured, its all black and black is good. The wood trim I beleive is same as on the other trim. Looks darker in this setup. I dont know how to say this but trust me, it is a different car altogether with the color change inside. You must go see one in person and compare the dual tone. You will get what im saying.
The black interiors look awesome. In fact, all I wanted to check from your pictures was whether wood, aluminum or piano black inserts had been used, and how it went with the black, and must say, it looks quite good in the pictures.

So now, to find connections at Skoda so I can manage a Race Blue with these interiors

Btw, while that TSI badge looks nice, I'd replace that with a vRS.

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th April 2015 at 18:23.
Old 11th April 2015, 16:46   #1662

Quote:
Having done a couple of highway trips at all times of the day, I can vouch for the necessity of sunfilm on this car. Searing heat on the top of the steering and dash midday and sides of the face and neck during evenings and mornings. Its ghastly. In fact I even enquired for sunfilm for the sunroof (and was told it was not possible)

I evaluated huper optik and got a quote of 15k from the dealer for klar70st on windshield and CR50 for sides and rear but saw that the ceramic film klar 70st for windshield would only cut 36% heat. CR70 is by far the best cost-effective solution if heat reduction is the priority. CR70 for windshied and RE-70 for rear and sides would cost 14-15k but CR70 all around will cost 25k. Having been burnt once (literally), I am considering CR70 all around.

As for safety with cops, I have had CR70 on my other car for 4 years on the windshield and haven't had issues. I hope it stays the same. These things depend purely on luck.
Thanks again - now I am certainly going in for CR 70 and its more a question of what to do with the sides :-) I spoke to 3M and plan to do PPF, UV paint protection sealant and CR 70 for Windshield.

By the way is any under body anti-corrosion treatment required given the rough road package? I assumed it is not but thought I'd check anyways.
Old 12th April 2015, 13:00   #1663
BHPian

And the wait ends... My Rio Red Octavia 1.8 TSI is finally here. Driven for about 50 kilometers in the first day. And with total restraint but what a smooth drive.

It follows my Diesel Laura which I sold off today with a very heavy heart. But am sure I will enjoy this.

The camera doesn't do justice to the color of this car. But in one word it looks SEXY!!

Will post a driving review couple of weeks into the whole thing.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th April 2015 at 14:38.
kgkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 20:24   #1664
BHPian

Quote:

Black interiors on race blue would have been nice and I had the choice to change my booking to zeal edition silver/white but din't want to sacrifice race blue for black interiors. The race blue is pristine and makes me look at my car more often.
Yes the black interior would have made it look one stunner of a car, never mind it still is, BLUE colour kind of makes up for it. Its a sweet ride you got there mate. Congrats
Akshay89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 14:08   #1665
BHPian

Strange but do you know that there is no way to get in the car if your FOB battery goes kaput. Any comments?

I also realised that if your cars battery goes kaput, how do you get in to unlock the hood??

Last edited by kapiljolly79 : 13th April 2015 at 14:27.

Most Viewed