Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2015, 11:11   #1741
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

I would highly recommend Bilstein B6 dampers though. It'll completely change the character of your car. If you want to lower the car, then you will need to get lowering springs too. I haven't gone for lowering springs as I did not want to lose out on GC. It is impossible to live with a low GC car in Bangalore.
How much did the set up cost for the Laura? Will it void the warranty?
Old 5th May 2015, 12:46   #1742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
How much did the set up cost for the Laura? Will it void the warranty?
The Bilstein B6 costed me about Rs. 65K. It should be in similar range for the new Octavia.

Regarding warranty, you will probably lose your warranty on suspension related parts as they will say that you have opted for aftermarket shocks. But they cannot deny warranty on, say the gear box or electricals due to fitting aftermarket suspension! But if you ask them they will do their best to deter you from going for any aftermarket fitment saying it will void the warranty. It is a typical attitude of most car dealerships.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 16:41   #1743
BHPian

OK. I found something regarding what I was looking for. It is to disable the Zenons from Flashing when I hit high beam during the day for pass or warn and use the fogs instead but return to normal zenon use for high beam/ pass during the night when lights are on.

Found it on Briskoda but I need help getting to the adaptation where this has to be done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This tweak simply stops the HID's from igniting when you flash the main beams - only when the headlights are switched off. When the headlights are on it has no affect (returns to normal operation)

I hate it when you flash the headlights and the xenons have to fire up for 1/2 - 1 second - especially when you flash a few times. This tweak will replace the headlight flash with flashing all fog lights instead. Once you switch the headlights on you will flash the main beam as normal (because the HID burners are already lit) and main beam will also work normally.

You must do parts A & B, part C is optional dependant on your requirements - You can choose to set part C as Dimmed low beams as I have, or Cornering Fogs.

I have 50W Cree LED's in all my fogs and they are much brighter than the standard H16 Halogens, not sure this would work so well with the std buld as they might not be visable enough.

As always the choice is yours........

Part A (disables the HID burners from igniting when flashing)

(5)-Leuchte6ABL LC5-Lichtfunktion B 6 from "Lichthupe General" to "not active"

(5)-Leuchte7ABL RB1-Lichtfunktion B 7 from "Lichthupe General" to "not active"

Part B (Assigns the second function to the fog lights to come on when flashing-first function is already set as fog lights)

Inner left (function 1) = (5)-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion B 12 from inactive to luchthupe General (Flash to pass)
Inner right (function 1) = (5)-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion B 13 from inactive to luchthupe General (Flash to pass)
Outer Left (function 1) = (5)-Leuchte8FL LB39-Lichtfunktion B 8 from Inactive to luchthupe General (Flash to pass)
Outer right (function 1) = (5)-Leuchte9FL RB2-Lichtfunktion B 9 from inactive to luchthupe General (Flash to pass)

Part C (Assigns the third function to the fog lights - this example is fogs as low beam but 18% brightness)

Inner left (function 2) = (9)-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion D 12 from inactive to ABBLENDLICHT links (Low beam left)
Brightness of inner left F2 = (10)-Leuchte12NL LB45-Dimmwert CD 10 - change to 18%
Inner right (function 2) = (9)-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion D 13 from inactive to ABBLENDLICHT rechts (Low beam right)
Brightness of inner right F2 = (10)-Leuchte13NL RB5-Dimmwert CD 13 - change to 18%

Outer left (function 2) = (9)-Leuchte8FL LB39-Lichtfunktion D8 – from Inactive to ABBLENDLICHT links (Low beam left)
Brightness of outer left F2 = (10)-Leuchte8FL LB39-Dimmwert CD 8 - change to 18%
Outer Right (function 2) = (9)-Leuchte9FL RB2-Lichtfunktion C 9 – from inactive to ABBLENDLICHT rechts (Low beam right)
Brightness of outer right F2 = (10)-Leuchte9FL RB2-Dimmwert CD 9 - change to 18%

Source Briskoda

Last edited by kapiljolly79 : 5th May 2015 at 16:46.
Old 5th May 2015, 17:33   #1744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
OK. I found something regarding what I was looking for. It is to disable the Zenons from Flashing when I hit high beam during the day for pass or warn and use the fogs instead but return to normal zenon use for high beam/ pass during the night when lights are on.
The fog lamps are not so effective for passing, but still its a good tweak.

Go to Central Electronics>Security access>(enter the code i think it's 31347)>Adaptations.
Select the said channels from the dropdown list, it will be way down and in alphabetical order.
Old 5th May 2015, 18:12   #1745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The fog lamps are not so effective for passing, but still its a good tweak.

Go to Central Electronics>Security access>(enter the code i think it's 31347)>Adaptations.
Select the said channels from the dropdown list, it will be way down and in alphabetical order.
Adi, I just realized that the fog codes are for the VRS fogs. The 1.8Tsi only has one lamp each side. Any clue as to which would be the adaptation for that?

See part B: Inner left and inner right.........
Old 6th May 2015, 05:24   #1746
BHPian

Would like to ask fellow members/owners of the Octavia 1.8 TSi DSG Zeal Editon.
After months of debate and various test drives (Vento TSi, Fortuner, Jetta) I finally walked into the Vinayak Cars Skoda showroom Bellary road, Bangalore and booked an Octavia Zeal Edition TSi DSG in White.

After driving/owning a Fabia 1.4PD Tdi (tractor engine sound) for about six years and 1 lakh kms later, there is just no other car (lower side of 50 lakh) that has the balance that the Fabia delivers (compare to a 15 lakh rupee car) with an auto transmission and to say the least good quality plastics and decent build quality.
Heck even the Vento TSi has at least ten ergonomic/convenient features missing that the Fabia has without even putting it in a list of "features" eg. a cooled glove box. heated mirrors etc. These small things go a long way especially when you drive 1500 kms in extreme temperatures non stop. I wish to do a long term ownership report on the Fabia someday.

Currently running it with Petes tuning box (plug and play) and it drives much better than stock.
The car has been a true pleasure to drive long distance and very economical too 18-20 kmpl at 120-140 kmph and upto 24kmpl at around 90-110 kmph. That said the great journeys covered in the Fabia were not without a few major and some minor manufacturing defects (entire engine seized on highway due to crank shaft) and recently a strange noise (like a bad drive shaft) but in the gearbox has cropped up and the car is now at Vinayaka Skoda K.R Puram once again.
Of the five and a half years I have owned it she has spent no less than four months at the workshop maybe more. Sometimes I even forget for weeks together (share an i10 Auto with family) until I get a call from a very positive and helpful Mr. Rajkumar and or the GM (he has lent me his Octavia for month as a goodwill gesture)
The car was purchased from TAFE (who i will never visit again) and I believe I have lived with a lemon (defect car) but Skoda has covered most of the damage /inconvenience and as a goodwill also paid/ covered the entire engine rebuild cost with new parts. Insurance did not help.
None the less I am taking the plunge after repeated warnings from family, friends and well wishers alike and spending a large 25 on the Octavia (I only test drove the superb to feel the DSG/power) I got to peek into someones 2.0Tdi Zeal edition and boy the black interior makes a huge difference. The SA told me that mine will be the first TSi Zeal edition in white that they will be delivering.
No Discounts and 13K handling and delivery charges (can anyone suggest)
Do I have to take the company insurance 80K upwards in order to get the extended warranty?
Any specific PDI with respect to a Skoda Octavia (I have paid advance booking amount and waiting to get allotted a car. I have asked to SA to show me the vehicle at the stock yard and wish to inspect it before its registered (also where my Fabia is sitting coincidently in KR Puram in their workshop).
I was told that I will get delivery by 20 May at first then today he said 25 May latest as the plant in Aurangabad was not operating till 10 May. Can anyone shine some light on this.

Thanks.
Old 6th May 2015, 08:56   #1747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpbreather View Post
Would like to ask fellow members/owners of the Octavia 1.8 TSi DSG Zeal Editon.
After months of debate and various test drives (Vento TSi, Fortuner, Jetta) I finally walked into the Vinayak Cars Skoda showroom Bellary road, Bangalore and booked an Octavia Zeal Edition TSi DSG in White.

After driving/owning a Fabia 1.4PD Tdi (tractor engine sound) for about six years and 1 lakh kms later, there is just no other car (lower side of 50 lakh) that has the balance that the Fabia delivers (compare to a 15 lakh rupee car) with an auto transmission and to say the least good quality plastics and decent build quality.
Heck even the Vento TSi has at least ten ergonomic/convenient features missing that the Fabia has without even putting it in a list of "features" eg. a cooled glove box. heated mirrors etc. These small things go a long way especially when you drive 1500 kms in extreme temperatures non stop. I wish to do a long term ownership report on the Fabia someday.

Currently running it with Petes tuning box (plug and play) and it drives much better than stock.
The car has been a true pleasure to drive long distance and very economical too 18-20 kmpl at 120-140 kmph and upto 24kmpl at around 90-110 kmph. That said the great journeys covered in the Fabia were not without a few major and some minor manufacturing defects (entire engine seized on highway due to crank shaft) and recently a strange noise (like a bad drive shaft) but in the gearbox has cropped up and the car is now at Vinayaka Skoda K.R Puram once again.
Of the five and a half years I have owned it she has spent no less than four months at the workshop maybe more. Sometimes I even forget for weeks together (share an i10 Auto with family) until I get a call from a very positive and helpful Mr. Rajkumar and or the GM (he has lent me his Octavia for month as a goodwill gesture)
The car was purchased from TAFE (who i will never visit again) and I believe I have lived with a lemon (defect car) but Skoda has covered most of the damage /inconvenience and as a goodwill also paid/ covered the entire engine rebuild cost with new parts. Insurance did not help.
None the less I am taking the plunge after repeated warnings from family, friends and well wishers alike and spending a large 25 on the Octavia (I only test drove the superb to feel the DSG/power) I got to peek into someones 2.0Tdi Zeal edition and boy the black interior makes a huge difference. The SA told me that mine will be the first TSi Zeal edition in white that they will be delivering.
No Discounts and 13K handling and delivery charges (can anyone suggest)
Do I have to take the company insurance 80K upwards in order to get the extended warranty?
Any specific PDI with respect to a Skoda Octavia (I have paid advance booking amount and waiting to get allotted a car. I have asked to SA to show me the vehicle at the stock yard and wish to inspect it before its registered (also where my Fabia is sitting coincidently in KR Puram in their workshop).
I was told that I will get delivery by 20 May at first then today he said 25 May latest as the plant in Aurangabad was not operating till 10 May. Can anyone shine some light on this.

Thanks.
Aah. Good choice. In fact great a choice. The car is an absolute pleasure to drive. You must scan back in the thread and see pics of mine and the nifty upgrades that many of us have done to their respective cars too.

The basic pdi works with the octy. Built very well. But strange you got no discount. I took about 60k and got mine at the price of the regular model which is 20kish less on paper itself. But anyways. Enjoy the wait now.

You don't need to take company insurance but do take the extended warranty that they give thru bajaj.

Last edited by kapiljolly79 : 6th May 2015 at 08:57.
kapiljolly79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 11:01   #1748
BHPian

I am planning to do a Bangalore to Kodai trip this weekend on the Octi (1.8 tsi). There are some steep slopes to be expected en route near Kodai.

Has anyone had the chance to drive through steep ghat sections in their Octi 1.8 and have anything useful to share?

How does the DSG manage steep slopes with stop/go traffic?

Is it possible to stall a DSG and is there a chance of the car rolling back without sufficient low-end torque? I know that Octi has 250Nm@1250 rpm so shouldn't be trouble at all but any real world experience would help.

I hear that Kodai is going to be very crowded on the way up due to the heat in the plains and this being summer holidays for kids. Just trying to quell my apprehensions about how the car will behave in steep slopes with stop/go traffic.

Thanks!
Old 6th May 2015, 11:07   #1749
Team-BHP Support

What is the kind of fuel efficiency the petrol octavia delivers in bumper to bumper metro city traffic?
Old 6th May 2015, 11:47   #1750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
What is the kind of fuel efficiency the petrol octavia delivers in bumper to bumper metro city traffic?
I have been getting 9-10 kmpl so far. Mine has run < 1000 kms so it could improve.
phreakv6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 12:03   #1751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post

Is it possible to stall a DSG and is there a chance of the car rolling back without sufficient low-end torque? I know that Octi has 250Nm@1250 rpm so shouldn't be trouble at all but any real world experience would help.

Thanks!
No, it is not possible to stall a DSG. The car will creep ahead in 1st or 2nd gear as you release the brake pedal slowly. If on a steep incline, car will also automatically engage Hill hold control(HHC) and would not let it roll back. If the HHC doesn't work, press the brake completely when you stop the car. HHC holds the car for about 3 seconds which gives you enough time to press the accelerator and move ahead.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 09:41   #1752
BHPian

I just crossed 4000 yesterday and the average so far is 11.9 Kmpl. This is with roughly 50-50 Highway-City driving.

I check the "Since start" mileage on most days after office commute and my average has been 11.5 to 12Kmpl (on most days its not bumper to bumper, but medium traffic with lots of speed bumps).

Quote:
Old 7th May 2015, 13:52   #1753
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
I just crossed 4000 yesterday and the average so far is 11.9 Kmpl. This is with roughly 50-50 Highway-City driving.

I check the "Since start" mileage on most days after office commute and my average has been 11.5 to 12Kmpl (on most days its not bumper to bumper, but medium traffic with lots of speed bumps).
Thanks. Purely guessing then that if one has 90% heavy traffic usage then FE would probably float in the 6.5 - 7 kmpl mark?
Old 7th May 2015, 19:09   #1754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
I am planning to do a Bangalore to Kodai trip this weekend on the Octi (1.8 tsi). There are some steep slopes to be expected en route near Kodai.

Has anyone had the chance to drive through steep ghat sections in their Octi 1.8 and have anything useful to share?

How does the DSG manage steep slopes with stop/go traffic?

Thanks!
Phreakv6, you will enjoy your drive to the hills in the Octy-take my word for it.
I did two hair pin ghat sections - Ooty and Valparai in the recent past in my 1.8TSi DSG.
It was truly a pleasurable exercise. On the "UP" you just drive like you would on any busy road-carefully. The car will not stall even if your foot is off the accelerator. The hill assist works and keeps the car from rolling back for long enough for you to take your foot off the brake and onto the accelerator. It is really much more comfortable that a manual-effortless in many ways.

On the "DOWN", the car will tend to roll and you will have to work the brakes. On steeper sections, I prefer is to keep the car in "S" mode and in 2nd gear- this allows for a fair degree of engine braking and takes the heat, quite literally, off the brakes.

Hilly roads, tea plantations, open sun roof and windows, a truly wonderful combination. Enjoy your trip.
docsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 19:30   #1755
BHPian

On really heavy traffics days in Bangalore going from Manyata Embassy ORR to HAL (18 Kms) has so far not given me less than 9Kmpl. But that may also depend on the driving, I would add.

Quote:
Thanks. Purely guessing then that if one has 90% heavy traffic usage then FE would probably float in the 6.5 - 7 kmpl mark?
Haren is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed